X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mouldsie
    • Aug 2012

Best QB of All Time

I got into a Twitter debate recently over Brady vs Rodgers for the GOAT.

I think it's Rodgers.
    To me, wins and Super Bowl's are not simply and individual feat so I don't take the "rings" explanation as definitive evidence of Brady being automatic #1. I think the modern day Patriots overall is among the best organizations in NFL history and he plays a big role in that. I will judge a TEAM based on wins and Lombardi trophies.

I of course have not watched some of the greats from the past... so am only judging by those I've seen (Manning, Brees, Marino, Kelly, Elway, Young, Favre, Warner, all get consideration).

Back to Rodgers: he's the most complete package at QB I've ever witnessed. He makes everyone around him better. His information processing is great. His arm talent is practically unmatched. His scrambling play-making ability and elusiveness in the pocket makes him all the more dangerous. He has a cool demeanor but also is intelligently aggressive.

His stats are hard to argue with as he's number 1 is just about any category you can imagine on a per game basis, has the best QB rating and TD:INT ratio in NFL history, and is a record holder for these same categories in playoff games. He's also #1 all time in points-per-drive in the playoffs (I love that stat as an indicator of offensive prowess) which means he's losing games because the defense doesn't stop people (remember Kaepernick running for 50+ yard TD's on them?).

If you isolate Rodgers vs Brady: Aaron has a higher completion %, higher ypa & adjusted ypa, more yards per game, more TD's per game, etc & (in 100 less games) significantly more rushing yards & TD's.

Who do you have as the best QB ever? Why?
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Best QB of All Time

I am biased against Brady because of the omnipresent cheating that is evident for his entire career. Rodgers is really good and in the conversation, but titles do mean something to me, and without looking it up I don't think his road record is anything special. As far as only QB's I've seen, I still think Montana is the best. Yes, he had a good team around him for most of his career, but he was just so clutch in big games for most of his career.

As far as anybody, I wish I could've seen Otto Graham play, because he probably is the real GOAT, again without looking anything up I have a hard time believing anybody's accomplishments, both titles and statistics, can match up with him.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Wally The Barber
      • Jul 2007

Jim Kelly, his career was short compared to Tom Brady
      Beware of Sarcasm

Comment

• jlgarsh
        • Jan 2010

If you had to pick a QB to win 1 game, I think you'd be silly not to go with Joe Montana.

Comment

• Mouldsie
          • Aug 2012

Originally posted by jlgarsh View Post
          If you had to pick a QB to win 1 game, I think you'd be silly not to go with Joe Montana.
          Typically seasons and careers last longer than 1 game

Comment

• kscdogbillsfan1221
            • Nov 2007

Even as a Bills fan, I was always partial to John Elway. I still call him the GOAT (of my lifetime anyway) but am like you and starting to look at Aaron Rodgers instead.
            I came.
            I saw.
            I conquered.

Comment

• Pennywise
              • Mar 2005

Going with the unpopular choice, Tom Brady.

IMO, it isn't even a contest.

Comment

• BillyT92679
                • Jul 2002

The answer is Joe Montana. Then Brady.
                Let's Go BILLS and SU ORANGE![IMhttp://www.billszone.com/fanzone/attachment.php?attachmentid=&stc=1G]

Comment

• Night Train
                  Retired - On Several Levels
                  • Jul 2005

Norm Snead
                  Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Turf
                    • Jul 2002

No QB has had the run Brady has had, tainted or not, lucky or not. Ultra fortunate, but the greatest ever.
                    Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                      Peterman Sucks!
                      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                      I am biased against Brady because of the omnipresent cheating that is evident for his entire career. Rodgers is really good and in the conversation, but titles do mean something to me, and without looking it up I don't think his road record is anything special. As far as only QB's I've seen, I still think Montana is the best. Yes, he had a good team around him for most of his career, but he was just so clutch in big games for most of his career.

As far as anybody, I wish I could've seen Otto Graham play, because he probably is the real GOAT, again without looking anything up I have a hard time believing anybody's accomplishments, both titles and statistics, can match up with him.
                      10 season. 10 Championship Games. 6 Titles.

Still the NFL all time career leader in yards per attempt at 8.63

Elway is the best QB I've seen play. The 86-87 Broncos were inferior to teams in the AFC, let alone the thumpings they took to vastly superior NFC teams, but he basically carried them to two consecutive Superbowls. When he got a running game to compliment his leadership and passing ability, they won 2 straight Superbowls.
                      Last edited by Mr. Pink; 10-17-2017, 08:02 PM.

Comment

• sahlensguy
                        • Mar 2015

My heart says Rodgers.

My head says Brady.

Comment

• Mouldsie
                          • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post
                          10 season. 10 Championship Games. 6 Titles.

Still the NFL all time career leader in yards per attempt at 8.63

Elway is the best QB I've seen play. The 86-87 Broncos were inferior to teams in the AFC, let alone the thumpings they took to vastly superior NFC teams, but he basically carried them to two consecutive Superbowls. When he got a running game to compliment his leadership and passing ability, they won 2 straight Superbowls.
                          There were like 8 teams when Graham played. Still a pretty impressive run

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                            Peterman Sucks!
                            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Mouldsie View Post
                            There were like 8 teams when Graham played. Still a pretty impressive run
                            Which also means the talent pool wasn't as diluted as it is now and guys back then were playing because they actually loved the game and weren't just there to collect a paycheck.

There's two sides to that less teams argument.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                              Buffalo Bills Fan
                              • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Mouldsie View Post

Who do you have as the best QB ever? Why?
                              I couldn't begin to pick the best ever, Mouldsie. It's an impossibility.

Era differences, stats, longevity, rule changes, etc. I sure haven't seen all the pro QBs, now and before tv, etc.

This QB had old-time moxie. Bradshaw did, too. Terry's my 2nd choice. I select:

Kenny Stabler:

Last edited by stuckincincy; 10-17-2017, 08:58 PM.
                              Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

Working...
                              X