PDA

View Full Version : Perspective - Half A Roster.. And Still 4-2

Night Train
10-22-2017, 05:49 PM
I'm not taking the homer view. Todays game will be played out many more times this year and the Bills will probably lose a few.

Bills are short a good QB, WR's, CB's, OL...you get the picture. We can all see it.

McDermott, Beane and Co. made moves to load up the next draft. They knew we were short and only so much could be done in year 1.

Long term planning for long term gain.

Taylor was his usual self. Some good throws and runs. Many missed throws. The Pass D was torched with the lack of depth at CB. Tampa on paper has a better roster. And yet..

Bills ALWAYS lost these games over the last 17 years. McDermott made a blunder prior to the half ( or Taylor did ) but they stayed close and pulled a surprise turnover out to win after getting rolled 21-3 over the previous 2 quarters.

Keeping it real. It's not this year. It's 2018 and beyond. Anything the Bills give us this year is a bonus and the up and down Raiders come here next Sunday. This team plays hard and talent will eventually improve ( I hope ) and make things a bit better.

The 3-4 win team most envisioned doesn't exist. We can't change our outlook and complain now that it looks tough to win 10-11 this with this roster. Insanity.

Keeping it real. No more one year band-aids ala Russ Brandon to sell tickets. The football guys they have now seem to be doing a good job with what they have. 2018 draft is the main plan, obviously.

Thanks for being 4-2. This isn't Rex, Marrone, Mularkey or Jauron 4-2. This is different.

Go Bills ! Doing it right.

BLUTO
10-22-2017, 06:04 PM
I'm not taking the homer view. Todays game will be played out many more times this year and the Bills will probably lose a few.

Bills are short a good QB, WR's, CB's, OL...you get the picture. We can all see it.

McDermott, Beane and Co. made moves to load up the next draft. They knew we were short and only so much could be done in year 1.

Long term planning for long term gain.

Taylor was his usual self. Some good throws and runs. Many missed throws. The Pass D was torched with the lack of depth at CB. Tampa on paper has a better roster. And yet..

Bills ALWAYS lost these games over the last 17 years. McDermott made a blunder prior to the half ( or Taylor did ) but they stayed close and pulled a surprise turnover out to win after getting rolled 21-3 over the previous 2 quarters.

Keeping it real. It's not this year. It's 2018 and beyond. Anything the Bills give us this year is a bonus and the up and down Raiders come here next Sunday. This team plays hard and talent will eventually improve ( I hope ) and make things a bit better.

The 3-4 win team most envisioned doesn't exist. We can't change our outlook and complain now that it looks tough to win 10-11 this with this roster. Insanity.

Keeping it real. No more one year band-aids ala Russ Brandon to sell tickets. The football guys they have now seem to be doing a good job with what they have. 2018 draft is the main plan, obviously.

Thanks for being 4-2. This isn't Rex, Marrone, Mularkey or Jauron 4-2. This is different.

Go Bills ! Doing it right.

100% agree - and - it's fun watching these guys have fun playing!

YardRat
10-22-2017, 06:08 PM
Playoffs.

swiper
10-22-2017, 06:09 PM
Agree also. But I would remind that both Mularkey & Marrone both walked out on OBD when they came to find out the GM was working against them - both men are now rebuilding their reputations quite nicely elsewhere. I happen to like McDermott better. (Who wouldn't?). But Atlanta, Denver and Tampa all had better rosters. So this is quite enjoyable.

This new WR was great to watch.

Night Train
10-22-2017, 07:34 PM
Playoffs.

If the Bills win next week, I'll actually believe we have a shot. Still early for me.

Novacane
10-22-2017, 07:41 PM
Good post. It will all come down to how well next years draft turns out.

Cali512
10-22-2017, 11:36 PM
It's crazy because we are winning with average players. We have so many holes but our coaches are doing a great job masking our weakness and managing the games. We know we have elite safeties, a great young CB, a solid DL, and 2-3 solid OL, and an aging but still solid RB. You could literally upgrade every other position. I feel like we did less with more the last 2 seasons honestly

Generalissimus Gibby
10-22-2017, 11:54 PM
Playoffs.

Speak to me in 4 to 6 weeks about that. That said, so far so good

Historian
10-23-2017, 05:10 AM
Again, this Coach has stressed character and work ethic over reputation and talent, ala the Patriots model.

What I like about him, is that the man seems very genuine, and that goes a long way in many people's books.

Before and after the games he's out in the parking lot talking to fans....and he doesn't blow smoke like his predecessor.

Yes, the football is fun to watch again.

No wonders he was the hot commodity after the end of last season.

Night Train
10-23-2017, 04:07 PM
Again, this Coach has stressed character and work ethic over reputation and talent, ala the Patriots model.
What I like about him, is that the man seems very genuine, and that goes a long way in many people's books.
Before and after the games he's out in the parking lot talking to fans....and he doesn't blow smoke like his predecessor.
Yes, the football is fun to watch again.
No wonders he was the hot commodity after the end of last season.

Which is why I believe the Bills will do well in FA prior to the draft. They won't be bidding on the high priced guys but solid players that fit the scheme and make a difference.