PDA

View Full Version : Last 3 Weeks: Bills 26th Out of 32 Teams in Defensive Yards Per Play

baalworship
10-24-2017, 07:18 AM
https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-yards-per-play

Bills now near the bottom of the NFL in last 3 weeks in yards per play given up on defense. And depth? There is none...

Novacane
10-24-2017, 07:20 AM
The D isn't as good as the rep they seem to have. They rely on turnovers and holding teams to FG.

imbondz
10-24-2017, 05:56 PM
Injuries plague all teams but it’s part of that equation over the past 3 weeks.

- - - Updated - - -

Bills now near the bottom of the NFL in last 3 weeks in yards per play given up on defense. And depth? There is none...

Holding teams to field goals is a positive thing.

TigerJ
10-24-2017, 06:23 PM
The Bills this season have been something of a bend but don't break defense. A good part of that has been the turnover ratio. It's also true that they have face some pretty potent offenses in the past few weeks, and they have been dealing with some injury issues. That said, they are definitely vulnerable and need to tighten things up on defense or they are going to be losing some of their upcoming games.

I still consider them to be something of a borderline playoff team. They have a decent chance to make the playoffs if the chips fall the right way, but it is hard to imagine them making a deep playoff run. I think they need to get more comfortable with both the defensive and offensive schemes, find a few more playmakers at some key positions and get deeper in several areas.

endzone
10-24-2017, 09:29 PM
The front 4 can't get enough pressure on the QB's and the LB's are poor in pass coverage on the outside. Good coaching can only do so much.

YardRat
10-25-2017, 07:04 AM
Nobody is perfect.

This staff took over a complete ****-show, and has made the D do a 180 from the 'defensive genius' right out of the gate. The offense is getting better, six games into their first season. Players are adapting...developing...learning to play together still.

I'll take it.

Mahdi
10-25-2017, 07:14 AM

I think Frazier and McDermott are aware that this is a BBDB defense and are quite happy to give up most of the field as long as it results in FG attempts.

They know that at some point one of their defenders, who all have their eyes on the QB, will come up with a TO.

swiper
10-25-2017, 07:19 AM
First in with ...

Bend, but don't break.

Topas
10-25-2017, 07:40 AM
They are 8th in defensive DVOA. I take it.
I assume the discrepancy is because strength of opponent is factored in. And obviously that includes the whole season up to now and not only the last three games.

SpikedLemonade
10-25-2017, 08:09 AM
So do I start Carr against the Bills in Buffalo or Matt Ryan against Jets in NY?

YardRat
10-25-2017, 08:09 AM
I think Frazier and McDermott are aware that this is a BBDB defense and are quite happy to give up most of the field as long as it results in FG attempts.
They know that at some point one of their defenders, who all have their eyes on the QB, will come up with a TO.

WBYCEIYDBO ! FTW !!

SpikedLemonade
10-25-2017, 08:11 AM
First in with ...

Bend, but don't break.

The Proctologist's Creed.

swiper
10-25-2017, 08:14 AM
The Proctologist's Creed.

Hey @$$hole, you forgot your trademark thingie.

ghz in pittsburgh
10-25-2017, 09:13 AM
In my book, the #1 thing for a D is the ability to stop the run. Able to do that, you are already 60% there. Bills D can check that box.

#2, getting pressure with 4 or less. I think the Bills D is better than average but nowhere near elite.

#3a, take away opponents biggest receiving target. Bills are certainly at the bottom.
#3b, keep the ball in front of you and minimize YAC. Bills are below average due to linebacker coverage.

Right now, the thing that carries the Bills D is turnover. But turnover depends a lot oo luck and #3b above.

The Beef
10-25-2017, 10:53 AM
A lot of people, myself included were calling this after the Panthers and Broncos games.

They both left a ton of points on the board then we got lucky with Atlanta losing Julio and Sanu in the first half vs Atlanta.

They've forced turnovers at an unsustainable rate for the most part.

The run defense has been good.

And as stated earlier, the front 4 needs to find eays to get more pressure. They actually put some licks on Jameis, but he was never pressing.