PDA

View Full Version : Bills Xs and Os | Post Wheel Combo vs. Cover 3 Buzz

jimmifli
10-24-2017, 08:44 PM
https://www.lockedonbills.com/bills-xs-os-post-wheel-combo-vs-cover-3-buzz/

The Buffalo Bills have struggled to get big plays from their wide receivers this year, at least up until WR Deonte Thompson was signed. Thompson was signed on the Tuesday prior to the game, and his knowledge of offensive coordinator Rick Dennison‘s system not only garnered him playing time, but also made him the X-factor the Bills needed to win.Thompson finished the game with four catches for 104 yards, but the 44 yard bomb from Taylor may have been the most crucial. The Bills were down seven points with 3:14 left on the clock. In the stadium you could feel the anxiety and disbelief. Quarterback Tyrod Taylor down seven points at the end of the game — not a shot, right?That was until a great play call was sent in by Dennison, one that was not only designed well, but also one that fit Taylor’s skill set and stole the momentum right back from Tampa Bay, who had just scored.This Bills team is often pegged as a run first team, and with LeSean McCoy in the backfield you can see why. But Dennison has done a good job using that notion to his advantage. Instead of just handing it off to McCoy, he has called a lot of explosive plays on first downs. Typically, he has called passes off of play action fakes, but not this time. On this first down, he sends out a trips formation to the field with Zay Jones wide, Jordan Matthews in the slot, and Deonte Thompson as the innermost receiver. Dennison calls a post/wheel combination that is often the kryptonite of a single-high defensive look.Jones is running the skinny post, Matthews a flat route, and then Thompson a wheel route up the sideline.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EnVEfKvNcms" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

YardRat
10-24-2017, 09:40 PM
That was a nice step up and re-set by Taylor.

Mace
10-24-2017, 09:57 PM
That was a nice step up and re-set by Taylor.

For once in a blue moon, I don't think this team has problems with x's and o's due to some good coaching, they're just a draft away from having the personnel to get better results from the plan.

jamze132
10-25-2017, 04:02 AM
The Bills are doing things that we’re not used to seeing the Bills do. When I watch good teams play, I ask myself why can’t we do that??? We’re finally doing things that make sense and aren’t some stupid gimmick.

Forward_Lateral
10-25-2017, 06:07 AM
Well drawn up, well executed by both Tyrod and Deonte. If you watch the last couple of angles, you see Jordan Matthews raising his hand as soon as Tyrod throws it because he knows what's about to happen.

Great call by Dennison as well.