• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TypicalBill
    • Sep 2002

Todays Scrimmage news

Bills Defense Passes First Test

The Buffalo Bills took their first test of the season on Saturday, when they battled the Cleveland Browns in the "Gridiron Preview" scrimmage at Cleveland Browns Stadium before an announced crowd of 37,818.

Each team ran five offensive series of 10 plays starting from their own 30-yard line. A failed first down conversion forced the offense back to the starting line of scrimmage. Each offense then ran three plays on the 20-yard, followed by three plays from the two.

The Browns first-team offense, led by quarterback Tim Couch, struggled to get anything going against a revamped Bills defense. After 10 offensive plays, the Browns found themselves just beyond midfield. Buffalo's defense was also able to hold Cleveland out the end zone during three red zone plays and three goal line plays.

"I thought defensively we really swarmed the ball very well in that first series," Head Coach Gregg Williams said. "It was good work but we're a long ways off. We were a little bit stouter inside on the run defense, today against Cleveland. The pass rush was better today. It was fun to see Takeo (Spikes) and Jeff (Posey). New situations for them and they perked up."

More..
    For the latest Bills news, visit the front page www.billszone.com
  • TypicalBill
    • Sep 2002

oh man, im so freakin' pumped now

Safeties Izell Reese and Pierson Prioleau worked with the first-team defense…defensive end Ryan Denny sacked Tim Couch for a 7-yard loss on the first set of offensive work for the Browns… Denny added another sack during Cleveland's third offensive series

The defense proved they are as good as advertised. They forced two Cleveland fumbles on the Browns' second offensive possession. Linebacker London Fletcher created the first turnover with a jarring hit and recovered the second after Holcomb fumbled the snap.

"We did a really good job against Cleveland's number one offense," Fletcher said. "They didn't make any plays against us, we were able to keep them out of the end zone. That's the main objective. We still have some way to go but I like our progress in terms of where we are collectively as a defensive unit."

Fletcher and company's performance received rave reviews from Bledsoe and the Bills offense.

"They looked pretty strong today," Bledsoe said. "It looked like the Browns has some problems getting back to the line of scrimmage in the running game. If they can play at that kind of level all year it would make things significantly easier for us as an offense and will allow us to win some games defensively."

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
      Legendary Zoner
      • Jul 2002

CLeveland doesn't run the ball all that well.

Comment

• TypicalBill
        • Sep 2002

They're a solid playoff team

let me enjoy the news atleast

Comment

• don137
          • Jul 2002

It is only our first test but there were a lot of positives to take out of this and build on especially since the first teamers did so well. It's still very very early but Cleveland did make the playoffs last year (personally I think it was because they played in a very weak division).

Comment

• Captain gameboy
            • Jul 2002

I'm getting a little concerned about Drew's comments, and I'll admit I'm in the minority here.
            Last year I was among the first to voice concern over his "put it up and they'll make a play" comments.
            This year all I've heard from him is concern over turnovers/negative plays.
            I hope he doesn't try to make the pro bowl by generating the least amount of turnovers. I'd like him to maintain a bit of his swagger and threaten defenses on every play rather that turn into Pennington with a good arm.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
              Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
              • May 2003

Apparently Denney is looking surprisingly good. Not that it matters, but did they keep score?
              Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• dunedindawg
                • Jul 2003

Score...

18-6 Browns.

Your right it doesn't matter:)
                I hope you guys have a great year and we see each other again in the AFC Championship game.

http://www.dawgbones.com

Comment

• TypicalBill
                  • Sep 2002

yup, thanks..you 2

stick around, post here, you're welcome at anytime bud

Comment

• Throne Logic
                    Terry Tate - Outside Linebacker
                    • Aug 2002

Originally posted by gameboy
                    I'm getting a little concerned about Drew's comments, and I'll admit I'm in the minority here.
                    Last year I was among the first to voice concern over his "put it up and they'll make a play" comments.
                    This year all I've heard from him is concern over turnovers/negative plays.
                    I hope he doesn't try to make the pro bowl by generating the least amount of turnovers. I'd like him to maintain a bit of his swagger and threaten defenses on every play rather that turn into Pennington with a good arm.
                    I with you on most of this. Although, I'm not concerned about him becoming too soft in his decision making. Drew has been very consistent in his career. He has the arm to make the big plays deep down field to the receivers who can get to those balls. He also has the tendency to force plays in the short game. Wys has beat this to death, but I'm with him on this too an extent (I believe Drew is salvagable . . .). Unfortunately, I believe that Gilbride is not the man to salvage him. Today just reinforced all the wrongs that we saw last year. Big play that gets everyone fired up and provides the blinders that hide the next number of series that are either short or end with turnovers in the Red Zone. I am beginning to HATE the big play, 'cuz it steers this team away from what they should be doing - controlling the ball and not making Drew force balls to make more big plays. Frustrates the heck out of me.
                    Still searching for that offensive rhythm.

Comment

Working...
                    X