PDA

View Full Version : Marcell Dareus worst non-QB of the top 10 2011 draft picks

Oaf
10-27-2017, 06:45 PM
JJ Watt was 11.

We fired everyone from the scouting dept, right?

Ginger Vitis
10-27-2017, 06:52 PM
Leading up to the 2011 draft most posters on this site didn't want AJ Green or Patrick Peterson.... One thing that I hope is different with this new regime is during the scouting and predraft process they are able to see and figure out which players are motivated and driven and which ones are lazy and don't love football.. Was there no way for Tom Donahoe to see that Mike Williams was lazy and didnt love football and Buddy Nix couldn't see these issues with Dareus?

Oaf
10-27-2017, 06:53 PM
There's a video of me celebrating the pick. I did not want Von Miller or Pat Peterson. Shows how much I know.

YardRat
Leading up to the 2011 draft most posters didn't want AJ Green or Patrick Peterson.... One thing that I hope is different with this new regime is during the scouting and predraft process they are able to see and figure out which players are motivated and driven and which ones are lazy and don't love football.. Was there no way for Tom Donahoe to see that Mike Williams was lazy and didnt love football and Buddy Nix couldn't see these issues with Dareus?

They are off to a good start with White and others from this draft.

Generalissimus Gibby
At the same time I cannot blame the front office for drafting Dareus. Much like Williams a decade earlier he was a can't miss pick that seemed safe and targeted a big need.

Luisito23
10-27-2017, 06:57 PM
I did not want Von Miller or Pat Peterson. Shows how much I know.

You're not alone...:woeisme:

Whatever though, he's ghost...

Time to move on.

Arm of Harm
10-27-2017, 08:50 PM
Based on the pre-draft reports I'd read, I was expecting Dareus to be good, but not outstanding.

Any time you have a top-5 pick, you look to get an outstanding football player. That's why I wanted A.J. Greene. And an outstanding football player is exactly what he's become.

Problem being, that on a team like the Bills, Greene would have largely been wasted. No sense in having a Hall of Fame receiver if you don't have a quarterback.

justasportsfan
10-27-2017, 09:19 PM
What a waste of talent. Could have been just as good if not better than Wilfork.

Mace
10-27-2017, 10:03 PM
I don't think the problem was in drafting Dareus, the problem was that ridiculous extension without a clause forfeiting guaranteed money in the event of suspension. In the end it was the weight of the guaranteed money that razored patience and hope. Having to work to get that money back would not have harmed his effort and focus any.

Oaf
10-27-2017, 10:06 PM
I don't think the problem was in drafting Dareus, the problem was that ridiculous extension without a clause forfeiting guaranteed money in the event of suspension. In the end it was the weight of the guaranteed money that razored patience and hope. Having to work to get that money back would not have harmed his effort and focus any.

Fair to say. But even as an all-pro, we "lucked out" with the worst of the top 5 and arguably still top 10.

jamze132
10-27-2017, 10:31 PM
I'm just glad he's finally gone. You can't tell me there weren't hungrier players making nothing while watching this fat slob rake in the dough... That's a locker room cancer if you ask me.

Mace
10-27-2017, 11:17 PM
Fair to say. But even as an all-pro, we "lucked out" with the worst of the top 5 and arguably still top 10.

Well, you can't really ignore the QB's if you want to be practical. So Locker & Gabbert join the troubled Aldon Smith who has had his own issues from the top 10.

Besides that though, you're preaching to the choir. I'm not upset he's out of here. I'm also not real sure though that a lot of those guys in that first round would have achieved the same success in our, ah, "organization".

John Doe
10-28-2017, 06:58 AM
Under the new regime, the highest payed player on the team has to be one of the team leaders. Kyle Williams was more deserving of that contract in that light.

Dareus was starting to play better, and I wanted to see if he could continue to regain his form as a dominant player, but he was not going to become the leader that they needed him to be.

Skooby
10-28-2017, 07:03 AM
I'm just glad he's finally gone. You can't tell me there weren't hungrier players making nothing while watching this fat slob rake in the dough... That's a locker room cancer if you ask me.

True story.

Goobylal
10-28-2017, 07:53 AM
You can't measure a player's heart or desire to be great. Dareus being shipped-out is ultimately on him. And the problem the Bills face is that more than a few players just really DGAF about being/playing in Buffalo. So what do they have to lose by flashing some ability and then moving on?

Ginger Vitis
10-28-2017, 08:43 AM
And the problem the Bills face is that more than a few players just really DGAF about being/playing in Buffalo.
Yep this is a real issue and I'm not sure or not if a GM and scouting department can determine through interviews and testing which draft eligible players hate the idea of playing in Buffalo and which ones are ok with it... With these cold weather small markets in the Midwest and East does a franchise (ex. Green Bay and Aaron Rodgers) have a bit more appeal to these college players if a franchise QB is there and they are perennially going to the playoffs

YardRat
10-28-2017, 11:40 AM

There isn't a team in the league that doesn't have to deal with that dynamic to some extent.

Arm of Harm
10-28-2017, 12:03 PM
There isn't a team in the league that doesn't have to deal with that dynamic to some extent.

I'm not saying you're wrong. On the other hand, this dynamic is more pronounced for some teams than others. I'm guessing that it's been a far bigger deal for most of our playoff drought teams, than it's been for the New England Patriots.

cookie G
10-28-2017, 12:55 PM
There's a video of me celebrating the pick. I did not want Von Miller or Pat Peterson. Shows how much I know.

Well, Texan fans boo'ed the JJ Watt pick, so don't feel bad.

<iframe width="389" height="281" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uTWKvLDXheM" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

At the time, he was probably considered a more solid pick than anything.

I remember only watching him once, in a bowl game and tbh, never really heard of him. What stuck out to me was that he was unblockable one on one..and he got off his blocks extremely fast. The thought that popped into my head at the time was Randy White.

When the combine came around, his numbers were excellent. I remember pre draft...making the comment that his vertical and broad jump, cone drill, shuttle times and bp compared to Mario Williams, the "athletic freak". I was shot down.

i think some in the pre-draft cottage industry thought he was over drafted and a reach.

Goobylal
10-28-2017, 01:52 PM
I wanted Dareus but figured the Broncos would take him. If that happened, I wanted them to trade down and take Watt. Dareus could have been special if he wanted it.

YardRat
10-28-2017, 01:55 PM
I'm not saying you're wrong. On the other hand, this dynamic is more pronounced for some teams than others. I'm guessing that it's been a far bigger deal for most of our playoff drought teams, than it's been for the New England Patriots.

I would think Gilmore's contract is an issue within that locker room.