PDA

View Full Version : Someone clarify if The Bills will take a cap hit for Dareus or not

Forward_Lateral
10-28-2017, 06:55 AM
Please. Some have said no, some yes.

I wish Clump was still around

Goobylal
10-28-2017, 08:05 AM
Most definitely. They will have to eat the unamortized signing bonus and any other guaranteed money. IIRC, it comes out to about $24M over 2 seasons.

Scumbag College
10-28-2017, 08:09 AM
http://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/29701/bills-save-54-million-in-cap-space-in-dumping-marcell-dareus-contract

It looks like only $5M in savings this year and $2M in savings in 2018, but it gets him totally off the Dead Cap numbers after 2018.

Yasgur's Farm
10-28-2017, 08:09 AM
Even after the bonus is taken into account, the Bills save $8M cap over 2017 & 2018. The 2017 remaining cap can be rolled over to 2018... In essence, that's $8M extra for 2018.

Homegrown
10-28-2017, 08:12 AM
The 'Golden Corral' buffet in Jax will be taking a big "hit"

Skooby
10-28-2017, 08:21 AM
The 'Golden Corral' buffet in Jax will be taking a big "hit"
The neighboring seafood buffet and China buffet have already filed a chapter 11 BK in anticipation.

swiper
10-28-2017, 09:27 AM
It’s not just that the team traded a player as talented as Marcell Dareus, or that they only got a conditional sixth-round draft pick in return for him. Or even that they did it with the willingness to eat $24 million in dead salary cap space over the next season and a half. It’s that they did all of that while actually winning games and having a real chance to end their seventeen year playoff drought. They traded a player who is good enough to help them do that. Yet they did it with the conviction that it won't change the positive direction the season is already going.

http://www.wgr550.com/articles/opinion/capaccio-trade-dareus-yet-another-sign-new-bills-regime-wont-be-swayed-plan

OpIv37
10-28-2017, 12:51 PM
The problem that I see with this move: good luck finding someone equal to or better than Dareus for $2.3 million.

cookie G
10-28-2017, 12:57 PM
The problem that I see with this move: good luck finding someone equal to or better than Dareus for $2.3 million.

That 6th round pick is going to come through in the clutch..just watch.

Goobylal
10-28-2017, 01:53 PM

It's possible to get rid of talented players but still improve as a team. We shall see.

streetkings01
10-28-2017, 01:54 PM
We've been questioning their moves all season and their currently a very competitive 4-2. Management has earned the benefit of the doubt from me.

OpIv37
10-28-2017, 02:46 PM
We've been questioning their moves all season and their currently a very competitive 4-2. Management has earned the benefit of the doubt from me.

They haven't earned **** yet.

2002- Started 5-3, ended 8-8
2003- Started 2-0 with two huge victories, finished 6-10
2005- Won the first game and everyone was excited about Losman, finished 5-11
2008- Started 4-0, finished 7-9
2011- Won the first 3 and got to 5-2, finished 6-10 (lost 7 straight and 8 of the last 9)
2014- Won the first 2, got to 5-3, finished with a winning record of 9-7 but still missed the playoffs
2016- Lost the first 2, won 4 straight to get to 4-2, still finished 7-9

I know, I know. Different coaches, different FO, etc.

But this team has proven time and time again that complete morons can put together a good six game stretch. Six games proves nothing.

YardRat
10-28-2017, 03:10 PM
You know what's really interesting about that list? Not a single example cited involves a first year head coach and staff, all occurred after a guy/staff had been in place at least one full season prior.

OpIv37
10-28-2017, 03:15 PM
You know what's really interesting about that list? Not a single example cited involves a first year head coach and staff, all occurred after a guy/staff had been in place at least one full season prior.

Pretty sure 2014 was Rex's first year.

YardRat
10-28-2017, 03:18 PM
Pretty sure 2014 was Rex's first year.

No, it was Marrone's last.

DetDannyWilliams
10-28-2017, 03:28 PM
Buffalo Bills 2018 NFL Draft picks

<tbody>
Round
Pick
Notes

Round
Pick
Notes

Buffalo Bills' original pick

Kansas City Chiefs pick, acquired during 2017 NFL Draft

Los Angeles Rams pick, acquired in Sammy Watkins trade

Philadelphia Eagles pick, acquired in Ronald Darby trade

6 conditional

Jaguars pick, acquired in Marcell Dareus trade, moves to 5th if JAX makes playoffs

xxx
Buffalo's 6th round selection was traded away as part of the Watkins deal

Bills' original pick may be forfeited as part of Larentee McCray trade

</tbody>

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/10/28/16563778/buffalo-bills-2018-nfl-draft-picks-marcell-dareus-sammy-watkins-ronald-darby-trades-brandon-beane

ParanoidAndroid
10-28-2017, 03:41 PM
No, it was Marrone's last.
lol

Ginger Vitis
10-28-2017, 03:55 PM
As of today the Bills are $30 million under the cap assuming a cap of $168 million for 2018... Kyle Williams... Jordan Matthews..Preston Brown.. EJ Gaines.. are all FAs..

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/2018/

Quite the contrast between the Bills and the Steelers... The Bills as of now have the most dead cap for 2018 $18.6 million for all NFL teams.. But 19 NFL teams have less cap space than the Bills.. The Steelers only have $660 000 in dead cap space for 2018 yet they have $178 million in committed contracts so they are $10 million over the projected cap of $168 million
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl//cap/2018/

swiper
10-28-2017, 05:56 PM
Well I think you can subtract whatever Martavis Bryant is making. He's going to be gone ASAP.

Ginger Vitis
10-28-2017, 06:24 PM
The Chiefs are almost $10 million over the cap... Alex Smith counts $20.6 Million against the chiefs cap... Trading him they would only count $3.6 million in dead cap and it would save them $17 million

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/cap/2018/

BertSquirtgum
10-28-2017, 06:29 PM
Of course they do. The Bills have to pay the guaranteed money of the contract. They have a total of around $20 million in dead cap due to this stupid trade. $6 this year and $14 next year. They were better off keeping him and seeing if he returned to his dominating form once he was 100% again. If he didn't return to that form then they could have cut him at the end of 2018. They would still be where they are today and still have a good player on the roster.

jamze132
10-28-2017, 07:32 PM

2011- Won the first 3 and got to 5-2, finished 6-10 (lost 7 straight and 8 of the last 9)
2014- Won the first 2, got to 5-3, finished with a winning record of 9-7 but still missed the playoffs

But this team has proven time and time again that complete morons can put together a good six game stretch. Six games proves nothing.

But you can't honestly say that this just feels different than what we've been accustomed to in the past... Who cares if they haven't proven anything yet...

jamze132
10-28-2017, 07:34 PM
Of course they do. The Bills have to pay the guaranteed money of the contract. They have a total of around $20 million in dead cap due to this stupid trade. $6 this year and $14 next year. They were better off keeping him and seeing if he returned to his dominating form once he was 100% again. If he didn't return to that form then they could have cut him at the end of 2018. They would still be where they are today and still have a good player on the roster.

I have no issue with the trade. I think he was becoming a cancer in the locker room to be honest. What do you think it shows the rookies when they see a vet getting paid that much with no production and work ethic? We needed to get that attitude out of there.

ICRockets
10-28-2017, 08:04 PM

I just don't understand how it's possible that you're such a good poster in the Spin Zone and so utterly garbage here.

BertSquirtgum
10-29-2017, 12:51 AM
I have no issue with the trade. I think he was becoming a cancer in the locker room to be honest. What do you think it shows the rookies when they see a vet getting paid that much with no production and work ethic? We needed to get that attitude out of there.

That's a good point

OpIv37
10-29-2017, 01:49 AM
I just don't understand how it's possible that you're such a good poster in the Spin Zone and so utterly garbage here.

What did I say that was garbage? He said he gives the staff the benefit of the doubt after 6 games. This team has proven time and time again that a sample size that small is meaningless. All I did was post the numbers to prove it.

ICRockets
10-29-2017, 01:51 AM
What did I say that was garbage? He said he gives the staff the benefit of the doubt after 6 games. This team has proven time and time again that a sample size that small is meaningless. All I did was post the numbers to prove it.
That's what was garbage, along with everything else you post in this forum.

OpIv37
10-29-2017, 08:08 AM
That's what was garbage, along with everything else you post in this forum.

I'm not sure why you insist it's garbage when it's true and there is history to prove it. The truth is what it is.

ICRockets
10-29-2017, 08:25 AM
I'm not sure why you insist it's garbage when it's true and there is history to prove it. The truth is what it is.

Because it isn't relevant. If you know that it's a new roster and a new staff, then you can't hold the past against them.

The truth is that the next time you say something positive about the Bills will be the first. And for that reason, your contributions in this specific forum are garbage.

coastal
10-29-2017, 09:11 AM
That 6th round pick is going to come through in the clutch..just watch.

It could turn into Tom Brady

OpIv37
10-29-2017, 11:12 AM
Because it isn't relevant. If you know that it's a new roster and a new staff, then you can't hold the past against them.

The truth is that the next time you say something positive about the Bills will be the first. And for that reason, your contributions in this specific forum are garbage.
But it is relevant because all those instances I posted involved multiple different rosters and staffs.

The point isn't that this staff is gonna screw up because the past staffs did. The point is that no one should be given the benefit of the doubt after just 6 games because complete morons have put together good 6 game stretches time and time again.

ICRockets
10-29-2017, 11:30 AM
The point is that no one should be given the benefit of the doubt after just 6 games because complete morons have put together good 6 game stretches time and time again.

This. Is. ****ing. Garbage.

"YOU can't enjoy the journey until I'VE celebrated reaching the destination!"

Eat **** and get the **** out of this forum if you hate the Bills so much, *******.

cookie G
10-29-2017, 12:13 PM
This. Is. ****ing. Garbage.

"YOU can't enjoy the journey until I'VE celebrated reaching the destination!"

Eat **** and get the **** out of this forum if you hate the Bills so much, *******.

Chill out, nutcase.

ICRockets
10-29-2017, 01:00 PM
Chill out, nutcase.

Just because I'm bonkers doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Luisito23
10-29-2017, 01:04 PM
LOL

BertSquirtgum
10-29-2017, 07:50 PM
ICRockets is so fat and is very very mad at himself for being so fat. Seems to be driving himself insane in the membrane. Unfortunately, I can see his psychopathic posts when you guys quote him and this whole ignore list thing is useless.

The Jokeman
10-29-2017, 08:07 PM
The Chiefs are almost $10 million over the cap... Alex Smith counts $20.6 Million against the chiefs cap... Trading him they would only count $3.6 million in dead cap and it would save them $17 million

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/cap/2018/

I can't see any team trading for Alex Smith unless the Jags don't pick up Bortles' option and make a run at him.

YardRat
10-29-2017, 08:25 PM
ICRockets is so fat and is very very mad at himself for being so fat. Seems to be driving himself insane in the membrane. Unfortunately, I can see his psychopathic posts when you guys quote him and this whole ignore list thing is useless.

Please don't attack another poster. Thanks.

ICRockets
10-29-2017, 09:22 PM
Please don't attack another poster. Thanks.

He's right, though. I'm wrong because I'm fat. And since I'm always fat, I'm always wrong. Everybody knows there's no such thing as a wise, fat man.

Mouldsie
10-29-2017, 11:15 PM
Opiv can be right and we can still enjoy the season. 6 games proves nothing. In the NFL you're only as good as a combo of what you've done lately and what you can do consistently. Even Belichick would say that. He's not predicting anything but we can't just assume we've made the playoffs after 7 games in a 16 game season. McDermott sure would not tolerate that attitude in the locker room.

Skooby
10-30-2017, 12:34 AM
He's right, though. I'm wrong because I'm fat. And since I'm always fat, I'm always wrong. Everybody knows there's no such thing as a wise, fat man.

What about Buddha ?!?!? The kind you smoke.

ICRockets
10-30-2017, 01:23 AM
What about Buddha ?!?!? The kind you smoke.
It has arguably contributed to both my wisdom and obesity. Good ****.

Skooby
10-30-2017, 01:29 AM
It has arguably contributed to both my wisdom and obesity. Good ****.

ROFL, We have that in common.

swiper
10-30-2017, 04:28 AM
ROFL, We have that in common.

Certainly explains a lot.

ICRockets
10-30-2017, 05:54 AM
Opiv can be right and we can still enjoy the season. 6 games proves nothing. In the NFL you're only as good as a combo of what you've done lately and what you can do consistently. Even Belichick would say that. He's not predicting anything but we can't just assume we've made the playoffs after 7 games in a 16 game season. McDermott sure would not tolerate that attitude in the locker room.
But nobody's assuming that. None of us are new to the Bills; we're just as aware of our history of promising starts as Op is. When we express that it's fun to watch this team, we're doing so with the full knowledge that other fun teams existed in the past. Constantly pointing it out, and going so far as to suggest we're MAKING him constantly point it out by daring to maintain some optimism (as he did in another thread) makes him nothing more than a wet blanket. He's not contributing anything productive to the conversation that we aren't all already cognizant of.

Saratoga Slim
10-30-2017, 06:16 AM
My thought is that some of these moves are hard to judge from outside. The FO is trying to create a new culture, and we can't see what impact Marcel was having on the group. The FO can. On a purely monetary and draft pick compensation basis, I'm not thrilled with the trade. While we beat Oakland soundly yesterday, we were almost completely unable to generate any pressure on Carr when we rushed 4 (which was most of the time). Dareus when he's on changes that. Without the benefit of being able to see what he's like as a member of the team I'm not pumped about losing that kind of game-changing talent. But with that benefit, I might be.

So far, I'm inclined to trust the FO's judgment. Sammy has done NOTHING in LA, even with Goff showing major progress. That trade is looking better for us at present than it did when we made it.