PDA

View Full Version : What is all this ELITE receiver nonsense???

endzone
10-29-2017, 08:31 PM
The Buffalo News continually reports that the Bills can't win without ELITE wide-receivers. Guys that can stretch the field and make BIG plays.

With our QB and running game I think we've got a great group of wide-outs! I don't see dropped passes. I don't see fumbles.

I do see excellent blocking on running plays and clutch catches. They also play on special teams.

A very group overall!!!

Turf
10-29-2017, 08:50 PM
Great coaching and preparation. Obviously Sammy's head wasn't in this game, or Gilmour or Dareus. When we do get the right mindset with higher end talent at WR watch out, it's essentially what NE has done.

YardRat
10-30-2017, 06:02 AM
A very group, indeed.

alohabillsfan
10-30-2017, 06:29 AM
This team does not need any Divas!! Just team players!!

Joe Fo Sho
10-30-2017, 07:19 AM
This WR corps is nothing special, they just run their routes, shut their mouths, and make a play once in a while when they're called on. It's the type of receiving corps we need and nothing more. We don't run the type of offense or have the type of QB that needs a top tier WR group that has two 1,000 yards receivers on it. It's the reason why I was fine letting Woods walk, I was very happy when we traded Sammy, and I'm perfectly content with the players we have.

DraftBoy
10-30-2017, 07:54 AM
I think their point is that when we eventually switch from a QB like Tyrod to a more classical QB their needs to be a guy who can go get the deep ball despite being covered. For all of Tyrod's flaws the one thing he can do is create plays by escaping pressure. The moment he leaves a pocket he changes how the defense is covering and that can create space for WR's either on their route or who have broken off their route as part of a scramble drill.

Forward_Lateral
10-30-2017, 08:57 AM
I think their point is that when we eventually switch from a QB like Tyrod to a more classical QB their needs to be a guy who can go get the deep ball despite being covered. For all of Tyrod's flaws the one thing he can do is create plays by escaping pressure. The moment he leaves a pocket he changes how the defense is covering and that can create space for WR's either on their route or who have broken off their route as part of a scramble drill.

Andre Holmes seems to have all the tools to be a top threat WR. He's tall, fast, and seems to have great hands. I hope he gets more targets as the season goes on.

Getting Clay back at some point is going to make this offense a nightmare match up for teams.

TigerJ
10-30-2017, 05:46 PM
I think that the entire "science" of elite players in the NFL is extremely inexact. There are players that labored in obscurity for years who have suddenly developed and had elite seasons. (Lorenzo Alexander is an obvious case in point.) Obviously, talent is necessary for a player to be elite, but I think that sometimes talent can be obscured by a lack of opportunity. Sometimes because of a player's background, he may not have developed what is actually a high level of talent. That could be due to his college background or even his early years in the NFL. I think when you come into the league you can be slotted to some extent by coaching staffs. Because you don't have the college pedigree and your talent has not been properly developed because of the shortcomings of your college coaching staff, you get drafted late or not at all, and when you make the team, if you make the team, you are locked into a role as a special teamer and never really get the chance to develop as an offensive or defensive player. As I recall, Jordy Nelson was not regarded as an elite receiver coming out of college, but thanks to getting a chance with the Green Bay Packers and Aaron Rodgers, he's pretty highly regarded now. I'm not saying that any of Buffalo's receivers are elite, or ever will be. I am saying that given a chance, one or more of them might show they have a lot more talent than anybody every figured.

endzone
10-31-2017, 08:37 PM
I think that the entire "science" of elite players in the NFL is extremely inexact. There are players that labored in obscurity for years who have suddenly developed and had elite seasons. (Lorenzo Alexander is an obvious case in point.) Obviously, talent is necessary for a player to be elite, but I think that sometimes talent can be obscured by a lack of opportunity. Sometimes because of a player's background, he may not have developed what is actually a high level of talent. That could be due to his college background or even his early years in the NFL. I think when you come into the league you can be slotted to some extent by coaching staffs. Because you don't have the college pedigree and your talent has not been properly developed because of the shortcomings of your college coaching staff, you get drafted late or not at all, and when you make the team, if you make the team, you are locked into a role as a special teamer and never really get the chance to develop as an offensive or defensive player. As I recall, Jordy Nelson was not regarded as an elite receiver coming out of college, but thanks to getting a chance with the Green Bay Packers and Aaron Rodgers, he's pretty highly regarded now. I'm not saying that any of Buffalo's receivers are elite, or ever will be. I am saying that given a chance, one or more of them might show they have a lot more talent than anybody every figured.
Great comment - - very true. Now we have Benjamin and it's an even better group of WR's.