PDA

View Full Version : Media loves Tyrod yet fans in buffalo hate him

BuffaloBlitz83
10-30-2017, 09:20 AM
I Find it weird we stunk for so long and Tyrod is our QB. The guy ranks high in QBR rankings last 2 years. Also watching games I hear Boomer Esiasan, Bill Cowher, Nate Burlson and others raving on how much they love him.

I know he's not top 5 but he's not too far from top 10-11. Look at the talent around him outside McCoy. Results are pretty good for cast
around him.

Thurmal
10-30-2017, 09:28 AM
His two positives are that he can get out of the pocket and move, since our O-line is not great, and he doesn't turn the ball over.

That's it. He is completely impotent as a passer, and this team would probably be 7-0 with a slightly above-average guy. The media doesn't watch every minute of the games like Bills fans do.

The King
10-30-2017, 09:29 AM
He's actually perfect for what this team does. I will be 100% opposed to moving on from Tyrod without a proven replacement. Not a rookie with potential. I am confident that our front office knows not to make a move for the sake of making a move.

BuffaloBlitz83
10-30-2017, 09:34 AM
His two positives are that he can get out of the pocket and move, since our O-line is not great, and he doesn't turn the ball over.

That's it. He is completely impotent as a passer, and this team would probably be 7-0 with a slightly above-average guy. The media doesn't watch every minute of the games like Bills fans do.

Zay Jones catches the ball from Tyrod it was definitely catchable. We win that game too.

Thurmal
10-30-2017, 09:40 AM
Zay Jones catches the ball from Tyrod it was definitely catchable. We win that game too.
He had to stop running full-speed and leap backwards in the opposite direction. Terrible pass to a guy that was wide-open.

Joe Fo Sho
10-30-2017, 09:47 AM
Tyrod's style of play is completely fine if the running game is working and the defense is creating turnovers/scoring their own points. Nobody is going to complain if we keep winning ball games, but that doesn't mean I don't want this team to start/keep looking for a better option at QB.

On the other side, Tyrod style of play is COMPLETELY FRUSTRATING when we're losing. It seems like he's not even trying, because he's so safe with the football. He doesn't adapt his play to the game when he needs to. Not to mention, he's not a good enough passer to lead a team to victory when the defense/running game are struggling.

Ingtar33
10-30-2017, 09:49 AM
He had to stop running full-speed and leap backwards in the opposite direction. Terrible pass to a guy that was wide-open.

actually tyrod threw the ball to a spot (right in the middle of the open zone. It was Jones running the wrong route which made the pass so inaccurate. Had he ran the route the way it appeared to be designed, he would have had a slightly behind him (maybe on his hip) pass to catch. It wasn't a "great" thrown ball, but it was a catchable one if Zay runs the route right. And if he runs the route right, and doesn't break stride too badly to catch it, Jones has a chance at the endzone.

Skooby
10-30-2017, 09:51 AM
We don’t hate him, we hate his over / under throws and when he’s off it’s hard to watch games. He’s way too inconsistent to be labeled a franchise QB.

Forward_Lateral
10-30-2017, 10:37 AM
He's actually perfect for what this team does. I will be 100% opposed to moving on from Tyrod without a proven replacement. Not a rookie with potential. I am confident that our front office knows not to make a move for the sake of making a move.

Before the season, and even early in the season I felt the exact opposite of this. Now I'm starting to realize that Tyrod fits this team perfectly, and I think they are actually opening it up more for him. I think he played his best game of the season yesterday. That's what this team needs. A guy who won't turn the ball over, will make some plays and is smart. Yes he still has his infuriating times when he takes sacks he shouldn't instead of throwing the ball away, but I honestly thing he's learning. He threw the ball away a couple of times yesterday which shows he's growing and understands that you can't make every play. I can't wait for Clay to come back.

The King
10-30-2017, 10:40 AM
The kicker is he's doing this with a cast of receivers who struggle in creating space.

BertSquirtgum
10-30-2017, 10:43 AM
Not catchable at all.

The Beef
10-30-2017, 10:49 AM
Joe nailed it.

Tyrod's play is frustrating, because it's an old school style of football that isn't always glamorous.

Tyrod threw for 165 yards, (a lot of help from the defense and special team) and combined with the running game put 27 points on the board.

Stafford threw for 450 last night and they put up 15 points.

Yesterday's game offensively reminded me of exactly how last year was, and the Ryan's ****ed the defense.

It's an unconventional offense in today's NFL but when the running game is working and Shady is explosive we're seeing 25-30 points a game.

When it's not working you get games like Cincy and Carolina.

There isn't a ton of room for error, that works because if Tyrod is good at one thing it is taking care of the ball.

ParanoidAndroid
10-30-2017, 10:57 AM
The kicker is he's doing this with a cast of receivers who struggle in creating space.

It looks the same as when he had a healthy Sammy Watkins and Robert Woods. He still can’t throw timing routes and this is a timing based offense. Just for example, look at how late and inaccurate the throw to Holmes was.

Forward_Lateral
10-30-2017, 11:00 AM
It looks the same as when he had a healthy Sammy Watkins and Robert Woods. He still can’t throw timing routes and this is a timing based offense. Just for example, look at how late and inaccurate the throw to Holmes was.
What throw was late and inaccurate to Holmes?

Mr. Cynical
10-30-2017, 12:25 PM
Let's face it, he's not the answer. Is he terrible? No. His legs save him from being terrible, as does his low INT stat. And I'm not going to bash him relentlessly as yes, we could have worse.

But if we're being honest, as a passer, he probably makes 1 good throw out of 10. So on average, with him tossing 25 balls in a game, he makes 2 good throws. He has poor timing, and his touch is wildly inconsistent. For example, that long pass to Jones on the right sideline could have been a TD had it been thrown correctly. Instead Jones had to contort his body to make a great catch but had to fall down in the process. The Holmes TD was also late, although given the pressure at the time he may not have been able to get it to him earlier. (although his height could have been the reason, since Holmes was open over the middle in the back of the endzone, and that's another TT weakness seeing over the line)

He has a really hard time throwing to space. He waits until his receivers are open, hence the reason he leads the league in time to release the ball (3.34 sec or something like that). If he didn't have his legs, he'd be leading the league in getting sacked for sure. The Oline must have nightmares thinking about pass protecting him, knowing he takes a long time to get the ball out. If he were younger I'd say maybe it improves, but he's no rookie. At this stage he is who he is. He doesn't see the game slowly like a true franchiser (Rodgers, Brady, Brees, etc.) and that's just something you are born with or without.

So, all that said, he is working out because of the strength of the D, his not throwing INTs, and the ground game. Any one of those break down and it is an L. So pray Peterman and/or next year's pick are ready sooner than later.

Thurmal
10-30-2017, 12:31 PM
What throw was late and inaccurate to Holmes?

The long catch on the bottom part of the screen where he was wide-open for an easy TD, and was forced to make a great grab while falling out of bounds b/c of the poor throw.

Mouldsie
10-30-2017, 12:47 PM

Pass was thrown to the pylon before Zay ever made his cut, ZJ ran the wrong route

Mouldsie
10-30-2017, 12:48 PM
The long catch on the bottom part of the screen where he was wide-open for an easy TD, and was forced to make a great grab while falling out of bounds b/c of the poor throw.
Tyrod threw that ball to a safe hole in the zone, but I too thought he could have thrown a little more aggressively and gone for the TD

Forward_Lateral
10-30-2017, 12:49 PM

Wasn't he on the run? I can't remember, but I thought he evaded a sack and threw that one on the move

Mouldsie
10-30-2017, 12:52 PM
Let's face it, he's not the answer. Is he terrible? No. His legs save him from being terrible, as does his low INT stat. And I'm not going to bash him relentlessly as yes, we could have worse.

But if we're being honest, as a passer, he probably makes 1 good throw out of 10. So on average, with him tossing 25 balls in a game, he makes 2 good throws. He has poor timing, and his touch is wildly inconsistent. For example, that long pass to Jones on the right sideline could have been a TD had it been thrown correctly. Instead Jones had to contort his body to make a great catch but had to fall down in the process. The Holmes TD was also late, although given the pressure at the time he may not have been able to get it to him earlier. (although his height could have been the reason, since Holmes was open over the middle in the back of the endzone, and that's another TT weakness seeing over the line)

He has a really hard time throwing to space. He waits until his receivers are open, hence the reason he leads the league in time to release the ball (3.34 sec or something like that). If he didn't have his legs, he'd be leading the league in getting sacked for sure. The Oline must have nightmares thinking about pass protecting him, knowing he takes a long time to get the ball out. If he were younger I'd say maybe it improves, but he's no rookie. At this stage he is who he is. He doesn't see the game slowly like a true franchiser (Rodgers, Brady, Brees, etc.) and that's just something you are born with or without.

So, all that said, he is working out because of the strength of the D, his not throwing INTs, and the ground game. Any one of those break down and it is an L. So pray Peterman and/or next year's pick are ready sooner than later.
He leads the league in time to throw because he escapes the pocket. Scramble time is in that value. Rodgers is usually high on that value too as Rodgers, Wilson, and Taylor are always at the top of the league in broken/avoided tackles by a QB

Mouldsie
10-30-2017, 12:53 PM

2015: "Tyrod can only throw outside to WR's! Why is Percy Harvin our leading WR?"
2016: "Tyrod can't throw to TE's or RB's"
2017: "Tyrod can only throw to TE's or RB's. Why is Deonte Thompson our best WR?"

Mr. Cynical
10-30-2017, 01:11 PM
He leads the league in time to throw because he escapes the pocket. Scramble time is in that value. Rodgers is usually high on that value too as Rodgers, Wilson, and Taylor are always at the top of the league in broken/avoided tackles by a QB

And why does he need to escape the pocket? Because more often than not, he takes too long to make a decision, and again waits for receivers to get open. By that time the protection breaks down and he is *forced* to scramble. But even then, I've seen him in the pocket and taking forever to throw. It's apples and sneakers comparing him to Rodgers.

Novacane
10-30-2017, 01:27 PM
He's fine if you don't get behind and need his passing to come back.

Novacane
10-30-2017, 01:32 PM
Tyrod threw that ball to a safe hole in the zone, but I too thought he could have thrown a little more aggressively and gone for the TD

Come on Mouldsie. When you make excuses for his poor plays it only makes detractors dig in against him. There was no one near the WR on that play. It didn't need to be thrown to a "safe hole in the zone". He almost led the receiver out of bounds. That was a great play just to catch it when it should of been a walk in TD with even a decent throw!

Mouldsie
10-30-2017, 01:34 PM
Come on Mouldsie. When you make excuses for his poor plays it only makes detractors dig in against him. There was no one near the WR on that play. It didn't need to be thrown to a "safe hole in the zone". He almost led the receiver out of bounds. That was a great play just to catch it when it should of been a walk in TD with even a decent throw!

Yeah, he was trying to play it safe and it still sailed on him. Poor throw

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, he was trying to play it safe and it still sailed on him. Poor throw

YardRat
10-30-2017, 01:36 PM
As much as I would like to join the fray on the 'it was a piss-poor throw by Tyrod' side, I think it's time to put that discussion to rest. It was one play, 6 games ago, and regardless of who is 'right' and how much they are 'right' it isn't going to change anything...it's still going to be a loss.

Novacane
10-30-2017, 01:40 PM
As much as I would like to join the fray on the 'it was a piss-poor throw by Tyrod' side, I think it's time to put that discussion to rest. It was one play, 6 games ago, and regardless of who is 'right' and how much they are 'right' it isn't going to change anything...it's still going to be a loss.

I thought we were talking about the throw to Holmes yesterday lol.

YardRat
10-30-2017, 01:43 PM
I thought we were talking about the throw to Holmes yesterday lol.

My bad, I was referring to the comments about the Zay Jones incident in the Carolina game.

WagonCircler
10-30-2017, 02:58 PM
I don't think Bills fans hate Tyrod. We just see that he's not enough.

He's not bad. He's a little bit good.

But his ceiling is not enough, and many of us are afraid that he'll play just well enough to keep the Bills from upgrading.

TigerJ
10-30-2017, 05:27 PM
I don't hate him. I am skeptical that he has enough ability to read defenses and pass with enough anticipation to lead Buffalo on a deep playoff run. I think he may be good enough for the Bills to make the playoffs with the right team around him, and I see that he's making some progress in his passing. I don't think he's there yet. I would not be upset if I'm wrong.

Mr. Cynical
10-30-2017, 06:09 PM
But his ceiling is not enough, and many of us are afraid that he'll play just well enough to keep the Bills from upgrading.

I agree, although I guess if anyone were to be a cord cutter it's Beane. So for that one reason alone, I think maybe playing just well enough won't be enough. (fingers crossed)

Night Train
10-30-2017, 06:38 PM
He's a 1st years coach bridge QB.

Year 1 plan

Fix the D - check
Win the turnover battle - check
Run the Ball - check
Buy in to " the process " - check

Year 2

Sign some role FA's and maybe a FA QB
Pick 6 players in the first 3 rounds
One of those picks will be a QB - Already have Peterman
Offer Tyrod in Trade - his value will be good - cap relief

People act like the front office will lose their minds and give him a new 5 year 100 Mil contract. Whaley is gone. Beane will not.

There is no surprise he is the QB this year. We weren't supposed to win this year anyhow, according to 95 % of this place who went into lemming mode and believed all the doom and gloom media dreck.

Now we are blowing it...LOL

All those trades and extra picks shows it was ALWAYS about next year.. but a funny thing happened on the way to the forum. We found out this guy could coach up a short roster to play beyond their abilities THIS year.

..and Taylor is the QB who is probably auditioning for his next team.

Obsessing over him is silly. It's the plan this year and only injury will change it.

djjimkelly
10-30-2017, 06:53 PM
We don’t hate him, we hate his over / under throws and when he’s off it’s hard to watch games. He’s way too inconsistent to be labeled a franchise QB.

add in 4 turnovers the last few games its an unrealistic standard.

he gets great field position and it took a shady 50 yarder to blow the game truly open.

tyrod is fake news but i like the winning but it isnt becuz of tyrod,

we would actually be real good with a proper qb

imbondz
10-30-2017, 07:31 PM
If Tyrod played here 10 years ago we’d be way more graceful.

kgun12
10-30-2017, 08:04 PM

Or this mystical QB is turn over prone and the Bills are 3-4 or 2-5?

Mouldsie
10-30-2017, 11:58 PM
I am normally on board with dumping a guy like Tyrod to "tank" for an upgrade, but not when the playoffs are a distinct possibility.... and I also believe Tyrod is better than the typical stop-gap QB. He can actually hoist a Lombardi trophy if the other factors are right. Fitz was almost at that level but he was too turnover prone.

He'd be an upgrade in Jax, Den, Cle, Chi, NYJ, Mia, & arguably Baltimore and among other teams current starters also IND, MIN, GB, AZ.... I'd also say it's arguable he's better for THIS team as it is currently assembled than the QB's currently playing in CIN, TB, and CAR... maybe LAR too

Let's just cheer for the guy until the season is over, then we can decide whether or not to be mad he's on the team! So far so good.

Cali512
10-31-2017, 12:41 AM
Tyrod does seem to be progressing though. I still want an upgrade and use him like an Alex Smith-Kap situation. But he is making more difficult throws and is always scanning the field

1st year- only deep throws and one read then run plays. He ran a lot his first year and played like a college QB. Never threw in the middle of the field, never stepped up
2nd year- same thing, also got better at leading his WR and showed more consistent accuracy also developed slowly stepping up in the pocket more. Still one read and run
3rd year- steps up in the pocket, moves around to make more time to throw, Is always looking to pass first and goes through all his progressions. His accuracy also has improved a lot and is now more conscious of the marker

If he can just start letting his WR make a play (which he probably needs more trust to do), he can lead us on a few runs while a QB develops behind him. People forget, even Rodgers and Brady take some time building chemistry with their WRs, and Clay/Watkins were always injured with Tyrod, and this year his WRs are new. He's never had a consistent WR to throw to. That's why Thompson and O'leary can have big games, he trusts them

Forward_Lateral
10-31-2017, 06:15 AM
Is Tyrod a FA after this season, or is he under contract? I honestly cant' remember if he restructured or what.

ParanoidAndroid
10-31-2017, 02:20 PM
Come on, now. A safe hole in the zone? No one was within 5 yards when the ball got there. The safer throw would have been to lead him instead of nearly throwing him out of bounds.

WagonCircler
10-31-2017, 02:37 PM
I also believe Tyrod is better than the typical stop-gap QB.

This, I agree with.

He can actually hoist a Lombardi trophy if the other factors are right.

This, I don't.

Cali512
10-31-2017, 02:42 PM
If anyone played football as a WR or QB, you know that the route Zay ran is always angled toward the pie line. Zay cut the route short and the ball went over his head, which would of been perfect if aimed at the pieline. It was miscommunication where Zay played the route safe, while Tyrod thought he had enough room to finish the route. It's more Zays fault then tyros

Joe Fo Sho
10-31-2017, 02:46 PM
If anyone played football as a WR or QB, you know that the route Zay ran is always angled toward the pie line. Zay cut the route short and the ball went over his head, which would of been perfect if aimed at the pieline. It was miscommunication where Zay played the route safe, while Tyrod thought he had enough room to finish the route. It's more Zays fault then tyros

Here's an image of the longest pie line on record, it's my favorite pie line.

http://www.worldrecordacademy.com/food/img/216183-b_longest_line_of_pies_Adelaide.jpg

WagonCircler
10-31-2017, 05:20 PM
Here's an image of the longest pie line on record, it's my favorite pie line.

http://www.worldrecordacademy.com/food/img/216183-b_longest_line_of_pies_Adelaide.jpg

I think Marcel spent a lot of time in the pie line.

swiper
10-31-2017, 05:30 PM
Who could possibly hate pie?