X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

Milano, Brown Step up to tighten the underneath coverage

It was clear that the Bills took away the downfield passing game (Carr even said so after the game) yesterday. Usually teams attack the short underneath passing game in that case, but Milano seemed to be in a lot of good coverage positions and Preston Brown finally seemed to play more freely and instinctively in this defense, matching the preseason hype that he was totally devoted and bought into the change. I'll never expect him to be a Kuechly, but he needs to play at the level like he did yesterday to affect the QBs.

I do want to point out that the Raiders running game may have contributed to Milano and Brown's success. Unlike the Tampa game, they were more disciplined in terms of not buying into Raiders play-action. The D-line handled most of the RBs, or slowed them down somewhat.

Let's see if this carries over to the Jets game. The Jets have a more serious running attack and McCown is a pretty good play-action QB.
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

Re: Milano, Brown Step up to tighten the underneath coverage

I love BC linebackers. It's about time we got one.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Ed
      Dude
      • Sep 2002

I don't know when Humber is expected to be back, but I'd like to see Milano keep playing a lot even if he's no longer the starter. I thought Milano was supposedly small for a LB and considered more of a S/LB hybrid type, but he looks really big out on the field.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
        • Mar 2004

I'm pretty sure Milano has played Humber out of a job

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
          Legendary Zoner
          • May 2009

Originally posted by Ed View Post
          I don't know when Humber is expected to be back, but I'd like to see Milano keep playing a lot even if he's no longer the starter. I thought Milano was supposedly small for a LB and considered more of a S/LB hybrid type, but he looks really big out on the field.
          I said that to my buddy yesterday. It looks like he had gained quite of a bit of size since being drafted.

Comment

• Mouldsie
            • Aug 2012

In 4-3 alignment, why not just start Humber and Milano and put Alexander back on the D-line?

Comment

• YardRat
              Well, lookie here...
              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Mouldsie View Post
              In 4-3 alignment, why not just start Humber and Milano and put Alexander back on the D-line?
              Obviously I agree with this.

I was impressed with Brown yesterday showing the ability to drop back and cover the center of the field, which could be a real achilles heel in this defense if you don't have a guy that can do that. Hopefully he can do that consistently and yesterday wasn't just an exception.
              YardRat Wall of Fame
              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                Obviously I agree with this.

I was impressed with Brown yesterday showing the ability to drop back and cover the center of the field, which could be a real achilles heel in this defense if you don't have a guy that can do that. Hopefully he can do that consistently and yesterday wasn't just an exception.
                It's a critical position in this defense. Needs a lot of instincts and physical ability. You need to be aware of the routes that are ran around you and know the kind of coverage behind you. Then you need to read the QB eyes where instincts, film studies coming into play. Lastly you need to have speed to get to where you need to be.
                I don't expect him to make those tip plays every week. Just to be able to go to positions where the QB wants to throw the ball, there fore able to defend the pass or affect the QB to go somewhere else.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
                  I'm pretty sure Milano has played Humber out of a job
                  No quite sure about that yet. Humber was a leading tackler in the league prior to his injury.
                  sacrifice1
                  https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
                    No quite sure about that yet. Humber was a leading tackler in the league prior to his injury.
                    He also can't cover a dead mouse

Comment

• Arm of Harm
                      • Dec 2015

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
                      He also can't cover a dead mouse
                      Cutler lined up under center. Landry is split wide to the left, Stills wide to the right. Dead mouse is in the slot.

The ball is snapped. Cutler looks to Landry, but he's covered. Same with Stills. Cutler guns it over the middle to dead mouse! 12 yard gain and a first down!

"That dead mouse put a pretty good move on Humber in order to get open. You also have to give the dead mouse credit, for catching a ball thrown well over his head."

Comment

• BLUTO
                        • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Mouldsie View Post
                        Who would have thought we'd be discussing players like Humber & Milano on a 5-2 team in November? Isn't it wonderful??

Comment

• TigerJ
                          • Jul 2002

Milano is actually an inch taller than Humber. He's listed as 9 lbs lighter, but if he has worked at it, he could have put on some weight since the weights were posted in the official roster. I know McDermott doesn't seem to have a problem with smaller LBs.
                          I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Ed
                            Dude
                            • Sep 2002

According to Mike Rodak, Humber is apparently taking first team reps at practice today.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                              • Mar 2004

Humber on running downs, Milano on passing, I could live with that.

Comment

Working...
                              X