PDA

View Full Version : Favorite playoff drought player

imbondz
10-30-2017, 02:49 PM
In light of the Playoff Drought All Team, who is your favorite player in the past 17 year playoff drought?

Can only be one player. Mine is Freddie Jackson. Go.

Joe Fo Sho
10-30-2017, 02:53 PM
The first person who came to my mind was Brian Moorman, as sad as that is.

Marshawn is probably my #2, then probably Freddie, Evans, and T-McGee in no particular order. I'm probably forgetting someone.

justasportsfan
10-30-2017, 02:58 PM
Still Kyle. Everyone else got the glory and the contract and yet Kyle was always the 150% performer day in and day out. What a steal at 5th rd.
Hopefully he no longer becomes a drought player and sees the playoffs this year.

FJ is a close 2nd.

Forward_Lateral
10-30-2017, 03:10 PM
If Eric Moulds counts, him. If not him, Freddy

Arm of Harm
10-30-2017, 03:24 PM
Kyle Williams. Insanely good return on our 5th round investment.

jimmifli
10-30-2017, 03:36 PM
Jackson on offense, Williams on defense. Don't make me choose.

Antoine Winfield is my alternate, but he made the playoffs in 99 so his drought was only 4 years.

YardRat
10-30-2017, 03:44 PM
FJ, by the slimmest of margins over KW.

jimmifli
10-30-2017, 03:49 PM
FJ, by the slimmest of margins over KW.

The thing that tips it his way for me was when he finally had his break out, finally got the carries, he got hurt while on his way to leading the NFL in yards from scrimmage and having a solid chance at winning the rushing title. He was about to be a star.

Fixxxer
10-30-2017, 06:55 PM
Kyle Williams and Fred Jackson

McD would have loved to have a person/player like Fred Jackson.

Generalissimus Gibby
10-30-2017, 06:57 PM
FJax, Meatball (Kyle Williams), Moorman, and two from the all time injury team: Takeo Spikes and Sam Cowart

Novacane
10-30-2017, 07:00 PM
Freddy for sure.

Ingtar33
10-30-2017, 07:05 PM
definitely Fred Jackson. Kyle Williams a close second for me; that said, sadly the first name that came to mind was Brian Moorman.

OpIv37
10-30-2017, 07:45 PM
Kyle Williams.

Honorable mention to Fred Jackson, Brian Moorman and London Fletcher.

I still say TKO was the most talented player we've had during the drought. The problem is he was only here and healthy for 2 seasons.

Arm of Harm
10-30-2017, 09:55 PM
Lots of good names being thrown around.

I'd like to add a couple more guys to this discussion. Aaron Schobel and Stevie Johnson. Schobel was a rock solid contributor for a number of years. If it wasn't for the fact he was eclipsed by Kyle Williams, I think he'd get more support in this thread.

You also take a guy like Stevie Johnson. Much like Fred Jackson he came to the team as an UDFA. Also like Fred Jackson he was ignored or neglected by the coaching staff for a long time, making a name for himself in the preseason only to be given zero opportunities during the regular season. When finally given his chance he proved to be a solid asset to the team. Not as solid an asset as Fred Jackson, which is probably a reason why his name hasn't yet been mentioned.

Also Fred Jackson always came across as humble, a team player. Whereas Stevie Johnson seemed like more of a showman. Stevie's personality never bothered me. He didn't seem arrogant: more like a guy just trying to have fun.

My vote has already been cast for Kyle Williams. But I felt these other two players at least deserved to have their names mentioned.

bflojohn
10-30-2017, 10:19 PM
I really liked Ryan Fitzpatrick. He brought a Jeckel and Hyde style of play, but at least he had some style!!

WagonCircler
10-30-2017, 10:23 PM
Kyle, London Fletcher, Freddie, and Fitz.

Honorable mention to Uncle Rico (Kyle Orton) and Sam Gash (because his name is Sam Gash).

Luisito23
10-30-2017, 10:25 PM
What OP said.

Mouldsie
10-30-2017, 11:40 PM
Fred Jackson was the 1st player to come to mind. I don't count Moulds, Winfield, or Big Pat Williams or they would be up there.

The next two names that came to mind were Terrance McGee & Kyle Williams. I'd round it out the top 5 with Stevie Johnson & Takeo Spikes.

ublinkwescore
10-31-2017, 04:49 AM
Healthy takeo spikes.

swiper
10-31-2017, 04:56 AM
Fred Jackson

Pinkerton Security
10-31-2017, 09:08 AM
Losman.

Woops I mean Fjax.

Historian
10-31-2017, 10:39 AM
Lee Evans

sahlensguy
10-31-2017, 11:07 AM
J.P. Los err, Fred Jackson - the only Bills related avatar I've had.

Generalissimus Gibby
10-31-2017, 11:27 AM

I'd like to add a couple more guys to this discussion. Aaron Schobel and Stevie Johnson. Schobel was a rock solid contributor for a number of years. If it wasn't for the fact he was eclipsed by Kyle Williams, I think he'd get more support in this thread.

You also take a guy like Stevie Johnson. Much like Fred Jackson he came to the team as an UDFA. Also like Fred Jackson he was ignored or neglected by the coaching staff for a long time, making a name for himself in the preseason only to be given zero opportunities during the regular season. When finally given his chance he proved to be a solid asset to the team. Not as solid an asset as Fred Jackson, which is probably a reason why his name hasn't yet been mentioned.

Also Fred Jackson always came across as humble, a team player. Whereas Stevie Johnson seemed like more of a showman. Stevie's personality never bothered me. He didn't seem arrogant: more like a guy just trying to have fun.

My vote has already been cast for Kyle Williams. But I felt these other two players at least deserved to have their names mentioned.

Forgot about Joker, except for his antics and drops in a couple of games that we lost he was a very good wr

sahlensguy
10-31-2017, 11:33 AM
Losman.

Woops I mean Fjax.

Same lol

Mr. Pink
10-31-2017, 12:36 PM
Bruce Mathison.

Oh, woops, wrong playoff drought time period!

Chris Kelsay, tbh, he embodied everything this franchise was during that time period. A guy who wasn't good enough and knew he wasn't good enough but still gave all out effort trying to win. He didn't quit and neither did the team during this time period.

Pennywise
10-31-2017, 12:37 PM
Sam Adams.

Oh, you said drought, not draught!

Now that I know.......Sam Adams.

Oaf
10-31-2017, 02:34 PM
#22.

What are the odds he gets WOF recognition someday?

kscdogbillsfan1221
10-31-2017, 08:17 PM
#22.

What are the odds he gets WOF recognition someday?
I would say approximately 100 percent. He’s an icon of a generation of Bills football. Him, Kyle Williams and embarrassingly enough Brian moorman

OpIv37
10-31-2017, 08:23 PM

Couldn't disagree more on Schobel. He was incredibly streaky. He'd rack up 3 sacks in a game then go 4 games without getting another one. And playing next to Pat Williams and Sam Adams made his job a lot easier.

Cali512
10-31-2017, 08:24 PM
So I'm going to do this based on who I loved or had high hopes for when they played, not looking back on it

Takeo, Clements, Fitz, Lynch, Hardy, Moats, Stevie, Greer, McGee, Incognito, moulds, Freddy, price, TO, Kyle, and Gash.

Looking back, I'd probably say TO gave me the most excitement, while Lynch was my favorite player, Freddy is my favorite bill

Crisis
10-31-2017, 08:28 PM
Kyle Williams.

Honorable mention to Fred Jackson, Brian Moorman and London Fletcher.

I still say TKO was the most talented player we've had during the drought. The problem is he was only here and healthy for 2 seasons.

Between Cowart and TKO injuries, we were robbed of having perennial all-pro LBs.

Jaybird
10-31-2017, 08:32 PM
Eric moulds or takeo Spikes

Arm of Harm
10-31-2017, 09:06 PM
Couldn't disagree more on Schobel. He was incredibly streaky. He'd rack up 3 sacks in a game then go 4 games without getting another one. And playing next to Pat Williams and Sam Adams made his job a lot easier.
Pat Williams parted ways (http://www.nfl.com/player/patwilliams/2503712/profile) with the Bills after the 2004 season. Aaron Schobel broke his previous personal best by puttting up 12 sacks (http://www.nfl.com/player/aaronschobel/2504718/profile) in 2005.

Sam Adams and the Bills parted ways (http://www.nfl.com/player/samadams/2499357/profile) at the end of the 2005 season. In 2006, Schobel had 14 sacks: more than he'd ever had before. That 2006 season can't be laid at the feet of Williams or Adams, as neither of those guys were still with the team.

As for "streakyness"--ideally, if some hypothetical football player is going to get 16 sacks over the course of the season, you'd like him to have exactly one sack in each and every game. Going into a game, you'd feel like you knew what you were getting from such a player. The reality is that some games present many more opportunities for sacks than others. The player who gets exactly one sack per game doesn't exist, and never has.

Mace
10-31-2017, 09:56 PM
Fred Jackson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lCF-vUVwGQ

Oaf
10-31-2017, 11:50 PM
Forgot about Jabari Greer. Top 5, for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXhbKah5Q4c

Oaf
11-01-2017, 12:02 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F65efgIX0cE

sahlensguy
11-01-2017, 03:08 PM
Jason Peters. Even more than Fred Jax for me. One of the biggest freaks of nature we ever had. Loved watching him play. Thought something extraordinary was going to happen on every snap. I remember his first preseason when he returned his own blocked punt for a TD. Nobody wanted to block him. I didn't like seeing him go down a few weeks ago.

OpIv37
11-01-2017, 05:21 PM
Pat Williams parted ways (http://www.nfl.com/player/patwilliams/2503712/profile) with the Bills after the 2004 season. Aaron Schobel broke his previous personal best by puttting up 12 sacks (http://www.nfl.com/player/aaronschobel/2504718/profile) in 2005.

Sam Adams and the Bills parted ways (http://www.nfl.com/player/samadams/2499357/profile) at the end of the 2005 season. In 2006, Schobel had 14 sacks: more than he'd ever had before. That 2006 season can't be laid at the feet of Williams or Adams, as neither of those guys were still with the team.

As for "streakyness"--ideally, if some hypothetical football player is going to get 16 sacks over the course of the season, you'd like him to have exactly one sack in each and every game. Going into a game, you'd feel like you knew what you were getting from such a player. The reality is that some games present many more opportunities for sacks than others. The player who gets exactly one sack per game doesn't exist, and never has.
I get that. Still not an excuse for the 3 and 4 game stretches without a sack.

Mouldsie
11-01-2017, 10:53 PM
I get that. Still not an excuse for the 3 and 4 game stretches without a sack.
Examples?

I remember this argument when he was playing, I thought it was mostly nonsense. He was underrated overall.

- - - Updated - - -

Jason Peters. Even more than Fred Jax for me. One of the biggest freaks of nature we ever had. Loved watching him play. Thought something extraordinary was going to happen on every snap. I remember his first preseason when he returned his own blocked punt for a TD. Nobody wanted to block him. I didn't like seeing him go down a few weeks ago.

Watching him as a gunner on kick-offs his rookie year was a sight to behold

Cali512
11-01-2017, 11:49 PM

I always had issues with him when he was in his contract year and claimed he wasn't trying because he was constantly thinking about his contract. As a lineman, you are supposed to protect the QB, and if you aren't you can cause a serious injury to the QB. That rubbed me the wrong way

alohabillsfan
11-02-2017, 06:26 AM
Kyle Williams, Eric Wood both staples on their perspective lines.

Arm of Harm
11-02-2017, 09:14 AM
I always had issues with him when he was in his contract year and claimed he wasn't trying because he was constantly thinking about his contract. As a lineman, you are supposed to protect the QB, and if you aren't you can cause a serious injury to the QB. That rubbed me the wrong way

This is a good point.

Steve Young's career ended prematurely due to a concussion. The cause of the concussion was a missed block by Lawrence Phillips. Phillips had laughed when he'd missed that same block in practice.

I'm not comparing Jason Peters to Lawrence Phillips. Peters was a much harder worker and a better teammate than Phillips. Not to mention having a much better career. But a lineman, or any blocker, not trying his hardest rubs me the wrong way as well.

The Beef
11-02-2017, 11:25 AM
SJ13, this dude still loves Buffalo and the fans. Check his Twitter it's pretty obvious he wanted a call and would still love a shot. He and Fitz were such a wild combo man, unorthodox, they at least brought a spark.

Free Jack, Wall of Famer for sure. Incredible work ethic, one of the greatest back stories.

BeastMode. We didn't get him at his best, and he was immature. The dude was still hilarious, and for the first time in years you didn't expect the offense to die in the red zone. Check his 60 Minutes interview and quote "run through a ma' ****ers face".

Kiko. It was really just the first 4 games, but everyone was on the bandwagon his rookie year and he landed us Shady. Win-Win.

Topas
11-02-2017, 12:04 PM
yes, Fitz to SJ13 were really fun times. The one time we really had a somewhat good offense in the last 17 years. If I remember correctly that was also the year when our RB had about 6y per carry. The Rb that then left for New Orelans or something and was never good before or after. Forgot his name.

We had some decent to top defenses over the last 17 years. But only once we had a good O. If we only had managed to have a good D during this time.
Disclaimer: I get old and my memory might be erroneous.

Joe Fo Sho
11-02-2017, 12:13 PM
Examples?

I remember this argument when he was playing, I thought it was mostly nonsense. He was underrated overall.

Not including 2001 where he wasn't a full time starter:

2002 - 3 game stretch weeks 6 through 8, including a 5 game stretch where he has 0.5 sacks.
2003 - Doesn't necessarily fit exactly, but he has a 4 game stretch with 0.5 sacks weeks 5 through 8, which turned to a 7 game stretch of 1.5 sacks
2004 - 3 game stretch weeks 1 through 3
5 game stretch weeks 7 through 11
2005 - 5 game stretch weeks 2 through 6
2006 - 3 game stretch weeks 2 through 4
2007 - 3 game stretch weeks 3 through 6
4 game stretch weeks 8 through 11...basically an 8 game stretch with 1 sack
2008 - 4 game stretch weeks 2 through 5, then missed the rest of the season due to injury

It was brought up often because it's what was happening. I liked Schobel, but he was anything but consistent.

Mouldsie
11-03-2017, 08:38 AM
What about pressures?