PDA

View Full Version : Garropolo traded to the 49ers

streetkings01
10-30-2017, 07:06 PM
For a 2018 2nd round pick.

YardRat
10-30-2017, 07:19 PM
Texans OT Duane Brown going to Seattle in exchange for CB Jeremy Lane, a fifth in 18 and a second in 19.

YardRat
10-30-2017, 07:22 PM
So will New England sign Kap, considering they only have Brady on the active roster now? Nobody on their PS, either.

Homegrown
10-30-2017, 07:29 PM
For a 2018 2nd round pick.
So Brady says to BB "you might as well trade the kid since I'm playing till I'm 50"

So will New England sign Kap, considering they only have Brady on the active roster now? Nobody on their PS, either.

Oh, that would be awesome. ... the most hated player on the most hated team

Night Train
10-30-2017, 07:34 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/patriots-reportedly-trade-jimmy-garoppolo-to-49ers-for-second-round-pick/

OpIv37
10-30-2017, 07:39 PM
**** the 49ers. I hope they go winless.

I know that their drafting prowess is a lot of mythology that dates back to getting Brad with a 6th, and their more recent drafting has only been OK, but I hate seeing them get a chance to improve for a player who's essentially useless to them.

YardRat
10-30-2017, 07:47 PM
moved and merged

ICRockets
10-30-2017, 07:56 PM

So you're not even a Bills fan? You're a Patriots fan posting here? No wonder you're always so toxic.

ParanoidAndroid
10-30-2017, 07:59 PM
So you're not even a Bills fan? You're a Patriots fan posting here? No wonder you're always so toxic.
What?

Luisito23
10-30-2017, 08:01 PM

I know that their drafting prowess is a lot of mythology that dates back to getting Brad with a 6th, and their more recent drafting has only been OK, but I hate seeing them get a chance to improve for a player who's essentially useless to them.

This could actually helps us OP...

1 less team to worry about drafting a QB early and maybe we could trade with them to move up.

OpIv37
10-30-2017, 08:07 PM
I hope it blows up in NE's face. Brady gets hurt, backup goes 1-6, they miss the playoffs.

It won't happen because we we aren't that lucky. But one can always hope.

ICRockets
10-30-2017, 08:07 PM
What?

What part is confusing? "I hope the 49ers go winless" = "I hope my favorite team, the Patriots, get the best possible pick from this trade".

psubills62
10-30-2017, 08:08 PM
Saw that Brady is the only QB on the Patriots roster. They'll obviously either trade for another QB or sign someone, but wow. Risky move.

OpIv37

Did you not read my post at all? I'm pissed that the 49ers did something that could help the Patriots.

ICRockets
I hope it blows up in NE's face. Brady gets hurt, backup goes 1-6, they miss the playoffs.

Cute how you think you can just pretend you didn't expose your true fandom by talking the talk all of a sudden.

ICRockets
10-30-2017, 08:09 PM
Did you not read my post at all? I'm pissed that the 49ers did something that could help the Patriots.

Going winless, like you said you hope they do, helps them the most. But since you're clearly not a Bills fan, I understand now why you'd want that.

k-oneputt
10-30-2017, 08:11 PM
Pats will sign Hoyer

OpIv37
10-30-2017, 08:16 PM
Going winless, like you said you hope they do, helps them the most. But since you're clearly not a Bills fan, I understand now why you'd want that.

They're a max 3 win team as it is. The extra 2-3 spots isn't going to make a big difference. The Pats are going to get a good player regardless. The damage is done and **** the 49ers for doing it.

ICRockets
10-30-2017, 08:17 PM
They're a max 3 win team as it is. The extra 2-3 spots isn't going to make a big difference. The Pats are going to get a good player regardless. The damage is done and **** the 49ers for doing it.

You're trying too hard, Pats fan.

SpikedLemonade
10-30-2017, 08:18 PM
moved and merged

You're the best M & A guy in the business.

ICRockets
10-30-2017, 08:18 PM
"How can I convince Bills fans I'm one of them? I know, I'll criticize a team for trying to find their franchise QB! That's a complaint that will make a ton of sense!"

SpikedLemonade
10-30-2017, 08:20 PM

Why waste your time?

You don't recognize ICR's "cycles" by now?

Meds on.

Meds off.

alohabillsfan
10-30-2017, 08:30 PM

Got Denver then Oakland coming up!

HAMMER
10-30-2017, 08:35 PM
Someone's off their meds again.

ICRockets
10-30-2017, 08:38 PM
Someone's off their meds again.

Have you ever read a single post from Op to suggest he actually LIKES the Bills?

Mace
10-30-2017, 08:39 PM
Pats will sign Hoyer

Yep.

Mr. Miyagi
10-30-2017, 08:56 PM
Beane has one more move in him this season. I can feel it.

Arm of Harm
10-30-2017, 09:09 PM
Why waste your time?

Meds on.

Meds off.

There's a reason IC Rockets is on my ignore list.

As for the original subject of this thread (before IC Rockets derailed it with his gratuitous personal attacks), Brady has indicated he intends to keep playing until his mid 40s. (He's 40 years old right now.) I realize it's not normal--in fact, it's completely unheard-of--for a QB to continue playing at a high level this late into his career. But Brady's plan seems to be working out well for him so far. If you're Garropolo, you do not sign an extension with the Patriots, because you'd end up spending practically your whole career on the bench. From the Patriots' perspective, it made sense to trade him before he hit free agency and walked.

Prior to the start of the season, I'd been willing to at least entertain the idea of the Bills trading for Garropolo. Granted, we got burned the last time we made a deal with the Patriots involving a QB below Brady on their depth chart. But this would not be the Bledsoe trade. Bledsoe's last years were behind him when we traded for him. Whereas, Garropolo's story has yet to be written.

On the other hand, one could also make the argument that the Bills would be better off taking a QB in the upcoming draft than we would be trading for Garropolo.

justasportsfan
10-30-2017, 09:19 PM
You're trying too hard, Pats fan.

I always knew OP was with the dark side. Thanks for exposing him Darth.

ICRockets
10-30-2017, 09:21 PM
There's a reason IC Rockets is on my ignore list.

Yeah, because I don't hate black people.

Joe Fo Sho
10-30-2017, 09:42 PM
Why waste your time?

Meds on.

Meds off.

Seriously, I've never seen someone enjoy drama so much as that guy. His boyfriend must love it.

sukie
10-30-2017, 09:48 PM
Gotta side with ICR on this one. SF goes winless the pats basically get a first round pick. I want SF to win 5 at least

ICRockets
10-30-2017, 09:50 PM
Gotta side with ICR on this one. SF goes winless the pats basically get a first round pick. I want SF to win 5 at least

Funny how irrational contempt makes people forget pesky things like reality, isn't it?

SpikedLemonade
10-30-2017, 09:56 PM
Funny how irrational contempt makes people forget pesky things like reality, isn't it?

Dude, in all due respect, you have forgotten about your own personal reality long long ago.

kscdogbillsfan1221
10-30-2017, 10:06 PM
well, should the 49ers resign Jeaneane Garafalo, they will likely not be in the market for a QB high in the draft. Unfortunately, does this now mean the Patriots may go QB with their first round pick?

TigerJ
10-30-2017, 10:28 PM
Pats will sign HoyerProbably. Hoyer will need some time to learn the Patriots' offense. It would serve Belichick right if Brady gets hurt before the new backup (Hoyer or whoever) is ready to step in and finish a game.

ICRockets
10-30-2017, 10:34 PM
well, should the 49ers resign Jeaneane Garafalo, they will likely not be in the market for a QB high in the draft. Unfortunately, does this now mean the Patriots may go QB with their first round pick?

I'm not sure it's bad for us if they do. That would probably mean they're not making their 2018 roster better with that pick, which could potentially widen our window of opportunity to take the division next season.

Mr. Pink
10-30-2017, 10:36 PM
I'm still pissed that the Browns didn't get a deal done for Jimmy G.

Good move by the 9ers to build for the future.

ICRockets
10-30-2017, 10:36 PM
Seriously, I've never seen someone enjoy drama so much as that guy. His boyfriend must love it.

Oh man, calling somebody gay. What a hilarious joke for an adult to make in 2017!

kscdogbillsfan1221
10-31-2017, 12:22 AM
I'm not sure it's bad for us if they do. That would probably mean they're not making their 2018 roster better with that pick, which could potentially widen our window of opportunity to take the division next season.
Fair point but I’m thinking the bills will want a qb in the first round. If the pats are collecting high picks then they can package to move up ahead of us. I know I’m thinking a little too much about this but now they have a ‘need’ that we have as well

ICRockets
10-31-2017, 02:51 AM
Fair point but I’m thinking the bills will want a qb in the first round. If the pats are collecting high picks then they can package to move up ahead of us. I know I’m thinking a little too much about this but now they have a ‘need’ that we have as well
I think if Tyrod keeps improving like he has the past couple weeks we won't need an early QB. If we make the playoffs and he continues to play relatively error-free football he's coming back.

Skooby
10-31-2017, 02:53 AM
Anything that weakens the Pats is good for me, who’s behind Brady ?

ublinkwescore
10-31-2017, 04:36 AM

Ok.

ublinkwescore
10-31-2017, 04:38 AM
Why waste your time?

Meds on.

Meds off.

Yeah, something is definitely "off" there.

YardRat
10-31-2017, 05:43 AM
Stick to the thread topic please, peoples. Thanks.

YardRat
10-31-2017, 05:47 AM
Did the 49ers cut Hoyer to make room for Jimmy G. ? If that is going to be the case, why wouldn't BB just ask for him as part of the deal? FA contract would be cheaper?

Forward_Lateral
10-31-2017, 06:06 AM
Wow the Niners gave up on Bethard quick. I thought the kid looked ok back there considering he was under duress most times he dropped back. Garropolo is going to get murdered behind that line.

malvado78
10-31-2017, 06:45 AM
Did the 49ers cut Hoyer to make room for Jimmy G. ? If that is going to be the case, why wouldn't BB just ask for him as part of the deal? FA contract would be cheaper?

This was talked about this morning on NFLN. They said that it was discussed as being part of the deal but wild somehow affect the comp pick equation so it was scratched. He would be release and the pats could pick him up.

Turf
10-31-2017, 07:09 AM
Someone lik us us could pick up Hoyer as well and the Pats are screwed.

ghz in pittsburgh
10-31-2017, 07:29 AM
If one day Beane has to trade Peterman for a 2nd pick, he'd be a god in Buffalo.

The King
10-31-2017, 07:42 AM
Most Pats fans I know are pretty pissed about this.

feldspar
10-31-2017, 07:48 AM

No, they're likely to sign Brian Hoyer. He was was on the Patriots for a few years before, so he's familiar with the system and all that. The 49ers released Hoyer when they traded for Garropollo, so he's available. It just makes too much sense not to do that. I consider it a done deal...gonna happen.

Anyway, I guess the Pats really think Brady can last into the foreseeable future. There goes their backup-plan, if you will, though. I hope Garropollo plays lights out in San Francisco, and the Pats can't find another franchise QB for 20+ years after Brady retires.;)

Forward_Lateral
10-31-2017, 08:31 AM
Most Pats fans I know are pretty pissed about this.
I get that a 2nd round pick is huge, but why on earth would New England do this? Brady might say he wants to play 5 more years, but sooner or later he's going to hit a wall and either get hurt or just plain decline. Jimmy G was their succession plan. He played well in Brady's absences, and knows the offense and organization fairly well. This is a real head scratcher for me.

psubills62
10-31-2017, 08:45 AM
I thought the Pats could have gotten a lot more for him during the offseason.

sahlensguy
10-31-2017, 08:47 AM
A high second round pick is cheap for the G-Man, right?

I would have been ok if the Bills did this.

DraftBoy
10-31-2017, 08:50 AM
A high second round pick is cheap for the G-Man, right?

I would have been ok if the Bills did this.

A high 2nd round pick for a QB who is pretty unproven? Not sure that's cheap. We're talking about a guy with less than 100 career attempts.

sahlensguy
10-31-2017, 08:50 AM
G was the 62 pick in the draft traded for a high 2nd round pick. Not one of Belichick's better returns.

sahlensguy
10-31-2017, 08:53 AM
A high 2nd round pick for a QB who is pretty unproven? Not sure that's cheap. We're talking about a guy with less than 100 career attempts.

He's only 25 and was highly regarded going into the draft. He has only performed well since being drafted. There is always risk but he's more ready than any rookie we might draft next year.

Forward_Lateral
10-31-2017, 08:55 AM
A 2nd round pick is a lot.

Remember a guy named Matt Cassel?

bdutton
10-31-2017, 09:01 AM
This is a great trade for the Pats. Garapolo was decent but not great in his debut. Brady is healthy and still playing at a pro-bowl level. He has at least 2-3 years left in the tank. Garapolo is on the final year of his rookie contract and the Pats would have to pay him top 5 money to ride the bench for another 1-3 years. They get a high value pick and with a healthy stable of college QB's entering the draft this year. They can parlay those draft picks to either move up in the draft to get their future QB or stand pat and get a very good QB project low first/high second.

sahlensguy
10-31-2017, 09:02 AM
A 2nd round pick is a lot.

Remember a guy named Matt Cassel?

There is always risk, even when using a first round pick for a qb. Remember EJ Manuel?

sahlensguy
10-31-2017, 09:08 AM
This is a great trade for the Pats. Garapolo was decent but not great in his debut. Brady is healthy and still playing at a pro-bowl level. He has at least 2-3 years left in the tank. Garapolo is on the final year of his rookie contract and the Pats would have to pay him top 5 money to ride the bench for another 1-3 years. They get a high value pick and with a healthy stable of college QB's entering the draft this year. They can parlay those draft picks to either move up in the draft to get their future QB or stand pat and get a very good QB project low first/high second.

Oh yeah, there is a massive contract to consider...

Forward_Lateral
10-31-2017, 09:24 AM
There is always risk, even when using a first round pick for a qb. Remember EJ Manuel?

There's a risk when drafting or trading. I don't see this as necessarily a bad move for the 49ers, but giving up a 2nd round pick pretty much means that you are banking on Garrapolo re-signing with you (or using the franchise tag I suppose) and that's going to cost a truckload of money. On the NE side of things, it means you are banking on Brady playing for 3+ more years, and decided to let Jimmy G go.

GingerP
10-31-2017, 09:58 AM
Someone lik us us could pick up Hoyer as well and the Pats are screwed.

Hoyer is a vested veteran, so he is not subject to waivers until after the trade deadline. If they release him today, he could sign a contract with NE a minute later and nobody could block it. They likely already have a contract agreed to, especially given his history with them and his sharing an agent with Bill Belichick.

Turf
10-31-2017, 10:59 AM
Hoyer is a vested veteran, so he is not subject to waivers until after the trade deadline. If they release him today, he could sign a contract with NE a minute later and nobody could block it. They likely already have a contract agreed to, especially given his history with them and his sharing an agent with Bill Belichick.

Ah, thank you.

Bill Cody
10-31-2017, 11:16 AM
I think they thought they'd have a much better team than they have now, one that could win even if Brady got hurt and Garrapolo had to play You lose Edelman, Hightower, get nothing out of Gilmore, now Hogan out for a while and all of sudden they think "if Brady goes down we're screwed anyway" let's cash in out chit on Jimmy G. They weren't going to resign him and it would have been hard to afford to franchise him. <shrug>

I think SF got a good deal. A 2nd for a plug and play QB is cheap. Remains to be seen how good he is but my take is pretty good. The only question I have with Jimmy G is durability, not the biggest guy. But he's a nice prospect. Yeah they have to pay him and that's a risk but it's not like they don't have cap space.

Albany,n.y.
10-31-2017, 11:47 AM
I thought the Pats could have gotten a lot more for him during the offseason.

The problem is they need the cap room to franchise him & they may not have it. If they didn't franchise him, the best they'd get would have been a 3rd rd comp pick-similar to the Bills situation with Sammy Watkins-final year of contract with a big $ contact needed to re-sign him. Getting anything better than a late 3rd on a guy you don't want to or can't because of cap space is a good deal.

psubills62
10-31-2017, 07:34 PM
The problem is they need the cap room to franchise him & they may not have it. If they didn't franchise him, the best they'd get would have been a 3rd rd comp pick-similar to the Bills situation with Sammy Watkins-final year of contract with a big $ contact needed to re-sign him. Getting anything better than a late 3rd on a guy you don't want to or can't because of cap space is a good deal.
..I was talking about this past offseason.

Mouldsie
11-01-2017, 09:56 PM
I think this was a great move by SF. GM John Lynch is doing good work over there, the wins will come next season.

swiper
11-02-2017, 03:56 AM
I think this was a great move by SF. GM John Lynch is doing good work over there, the wins will come next season.

Why? What makes this QB any good?

Arm of Harm
11-02-2017, 09:22 AM
I think they thought they'd have a much better team than they have now, one that could win even if Brady got hurt and Garrapolo had to play You lose Edelman, Hightower, get nothing out of Gilmore, now Hogan out for a while and all of sudden they think "if Brady goes down we're screwed anyway" let's cash in out chit on Jimmy G. They weren't going to resign him and it would have been hard to afford to franchise him. <shrug>

I think SF got a good deal. A 2nd for a plug and play QB is cheap. Remains to be seen how good he is but my take is pretty good. The only question I have with Jimmy G is durability, not the biggest guy. But he's a nice prospect. Yeah they have to pay him and that's a risk but it's not like they don't have cap space.

There could be some truth to this. I also think the Patriots have a long-term bias in their thinking. They're the type of team that's more than happy to trade away a 2nd round pick this year for a first round pick next year. They've also been known to trade away some of their best veteran players for draft picks. You hardly ever see them do the opposite. I don't recall the last time Belichick and the Patriots traded away a first or second round pick for a veteran player, or traded away a first round pick in next year's draft for a 2nd rounder in the current draft.

With that future-oriented bias in mind, it's likely the Patriots were more interested in the 2nd round pick, than they were in getting a good backup QB for the rest of this season. </shrug>

Arm of Harm
11-02-2017, 10:13 AM
I got to thinking about this some more. If you're Bill Belichick, and if you have multiple teams each offering you a 2nd rounder for Garropolo, you have three very solid reasons to delay the trade until just before the trade deadline.

1. Delay gives you half a season of having a quality backup for Brady. Half a season of backup insurance is better than none.
2. Delay allows you to see which of Garropolo's suitors has the worst record. You want that team's 2nd rounder, because it's the most valuable.
3. Delay allows you to worsen the record of your trade partner.

If Garropolo had been traded to the 49ers a couple months before opening day, do you really think they'd be 0-8? Me neither. By withholding Garropolo from the 49ers as long as he possibly could, Belichick worsened their record. Doing that improves the 2nd round pick he'll be getting.