PDA

View Full Version : The All Buffalo Bills drought team: WR

The King
10-31-2017, 10:53 AM
This one will be tough... maybe one of the toughest in this poll. I will take the top 2, Moulds is eligible for his work during 99-05.

Ed
10-31-2017, 10:53 AM
Lee Evans and Stevie Johnson.

Forward_Lateral
10-31-2017, 10:55 AM
Moulds is my all time favourite Bill.

Mr. Pink
10-31-2017, 10:58 AM
No Josh Reed?

Kenny
10-31-2017, 11:14 AM
This one will be tough... maybe one of the toughest in this poll. I will take the top 2, Moulds is eligible for his work during 99-05.

I thought this was pretty easy. Moulds!!!

Thurmal
10-31-2017, 11:29 AM
Moulds was the best of the bunch, but considering he owns the Bills single-game playoff receiving record, I can't vote for him based on the spirit of the list. Give me Lee Evans and TO.

Arm of Harm
10-31-2017, 11:30 AM
Moulds would have been a no brainer--at least if I considered him a playoff drought WR. I don't. He joined the team in 1996 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Moulds), and played an important role in both our late '90s playoff teams.

If Moulds is disqualified due to helping lead the Bills to the playoffs--twice--you then start to look at guys like Stevie Johnson, Sammy Watkins, and Lee Evans. Of those, Sammy Watkins had the most raw talent. He was underutilized in Buffalo due to our QB issues, and was also held back by injuries. I don't blame him for the injuries. It's not as though some other, tougher WR would have played through a broken foot!

Lee Evans would have been perfectly fine as a #2 WR/deep burner. But he was never suited to be a #1.

Ultimately I chose Stevie Johnson. I remember one game where he kept getting open on Darrell Revis. Johnson didn't have exceptional athletic talent for an NFL WR, but he had craftiness.

OpIv37
10-31-2017, 11:32 AM
Btw I didn't count Moulds as he made the playoffs several times before the drought started. But I do think he's the best of that group.

The King
10-31-2017, 12:27 PM
I decided with those technicalities to include them for what they did after the run. Gash was just voted in by the way he played on the 99 team as well.

YardRat
10-31-2017, 07:09 PM
Easy-peasy, Moulds hands down.

Mouldsie
10-31-2017, 09:07 PM
This isn't even close. Moulds would be a HOFer if he was drafted by the Colts or Niners instead of the Bills

Mace
10-31-2017, 09:42 PM
Moulds would have been a no brainer--at least if I considered him a playoff drought WR. I don't. He joined the team in 1996 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Moulds), and played an important role in both our late '90s playoff teams.

If Moulds is disqualified due to helping lead the Bills to the playoffs--twice--you then start to look at guys like Stevie Johnson, Sammy Watkins, and Lee Evans. Of those, Sammy Watkins had the most raw talent. He was underutilized in Buffalo due to our QB issues, and was also held back by injuries. I don't blame him for the injuries. It's not as though some other, tougher WR would have played through a broken foot!

Lee Evans would have been perfectly fine as a #2 WR/deep burner. But he was never suited to be a #1.

Ultimately I chose Stevie Johnson. I remember one game where he kept getting open on Darrell Revis. Johnson didn't have exceptional athletic talent for an NFL WR, but he had craftiness.

Strongly agree. Others had more talent or skill, Johnson had the most desire and worked hardest. He's one of the best improvisational receivers I ever saw. Sometimes, he couldn't be covered. Problem was, in the NFL, the QB doesn't have time to wait, and you can't design plays to his strength, because he made it up as he went along on instinct like sandlot ball.

I voted Johnson. You give one of the skills guys his instincts, or give Johnson their skills, and you have a hall of fame legendary receiver. Johnson was one of the rare breed of go-to guys who could march you down the field play after play without needing the big homerun strike, while everyone knew who they'd be throwing to. That always impressed me and ever will.

Luisito23
10-31-2017, 09:51 PM
Moulds, and it's not even close!

Mouldsie
10-31-2017, 09:51 PM
Strongly agree. Others had more talent or skill, Johnson had the most desire and worked hardest. He's one of the best improvisational receivers I ever saw. Sometimes, he couldn't be covered. Problem was, in the NFL, the QB doesn't have time to wait, and you can't design plays to his strength, because he made it up as he went along on instinct like sandlot ball.

I voted Johnson. You give one of the skills guys his instincts, or give Johnson their skills, and you have a hall of fame legendary receiver. Johnson was one of the rare breed of go-to guys who could march you down the field play after play without needing the big homerun strike, while everyone knew who they'd be throwing to. That always impressed me and ever will.
The All-22 in those days was frustrating at times, I think this was when EJ was QB even moreso, but he'd be open nearly every play and not get enough targets

Mace
10-31-2017, 11:26 PM
The All-22 in those days was frustrating at times, I think this was when EJ was QB even moreso, but he'd be open nearly every play and not get enough targets

Was nearly impossible to give him purposeful targets imho, he was just the guy who'd get open and not necessarily where or when you wanted him to be. Even when he went to SD with Rivers. I always thought an improv QB worked better with disciplined receivers (he'd know where they'd be and could work with it off the cuff), and a disciplined QB could work better with improv receivers (he could wait to see where they'd be and work with it off the cuff). Always struck me Rivers was an improv QB, Fitz, though he seemed improv was disciplined, his arm just couldn't necessarily get the ball where his head meant to send it. Johnson would surely get open, was only a matter of waiting and getting it there, or sending it to an area Johnson could work with.

Yeah, looking back, I very much appreciate Stevie Johnson.

Oaf
10-31-2017, 11:48 PM
Stevie Johnson and Lee Evans would be a solid combo. Slip SJ inside with Moulds outside, we could produce with Craig Nall at QB.

The King
11-01-2017, 07:18 AM
Was nearly impossible to give him purposeful targets imho, he was just the guy who'd get open and not necessarily where or when you wanted him to be. Even when he went to SD with Rivers. I always thought an improv QB worked better with disciplined receivers (he'd know where they'd be and could work with it off the cuff), and a disciplined QB could work better with improv receivers (he could wait to see where they'd be and work with it off the cuff). Always struck me Rivers was an improv QB, Fitz, though he seemed improv was disciplined, his arm just couldn't necessarily get the ball where his head meant to send it. Johnson would surely get open, was only a matter of waiting and getting it there, or sending it to an area Johnson could work with.

Yeah, looking back, I very much appreciate Stevie Johnson.

Stevie's drops and clamor for the spotlight prevented me from being a fan.

Forward_Lateral
11-01-2017, 07:53 AM
I still don't forgive Stevie for the Pittsburgh game.

Mouldsie
11-01-2017, 09:46 PM
Stevie's drops and clamor for the spotlight prevented me from being a fan.

I don't think he was that kind of guy. He loved the team, loves the city, and loves life. Very humble and genuine good guy in real life.