Reported by Adam Schefter, popped in ScoreMobile for me

Yasgur's Farm
10-31-2017, 02:56 PM
WHT confirms... Pretty huge deal.

- - - Updated - - -

Not wth... wgr

DraftBoy
10-31-2017, 02:57 PM
That's not a name anybody had as available.

delectrolux
10-31-2017, 02:58 PM
Just got the alert! Interested for the compensation...

DraftBoy
10-31-2017, 02:59 PM
Bills send 3rd and 7th Round pick to Carolina

BillsOwnAll
10-31-2017, 02:59 PM
Huge deal

jimmifli
10-31-2017, 03:01 PM

Beane after hanging up his phone and walking into the office:

https://i.imgur.com/9pjwTlE.gif

Luisito23
10-31-2017, 03:01 PM
For basically only a 3rd. this is great news!

sukie
10-31-2017, 03:02 PM
WOW. 6'5" 245

Buffalogic
10-31-2017, 03:02 PM
Wowwww!!! Epic!!

Skooby
10-31-2017, 03:03 PM
Beane after hanging up his phone and walking into the office:

https://i.imgur.com/9pjwTlE.gif
Whoa, I love it !!

delectrolux
He's only 26. Already has 475 yards this season. So basically we traded Watkins, a 3rd and a 7th for Gaines, Benjamin and a second! That's a deal and a half!

Night Train
They are killing the tank ! :madmad:

Pennywise
Where are the Beane whiners?

Thurmal
10-31-2017, 03:04 PM
Probably asking too much to have him play the day after tomorrow, huh? Too bad, an exciting pickup, can't wait to see him out there.

ckg927
Adam Schefter notes that the Bills are giving Carolina 3rd and 7th round picks. (Unknown as to what year, however.)

(Yes, I know, DB and others beat me to the punch on what the Bills gave Carolina.)

Pinkerton Security
I like it. Fits our scheme as a big, blocking WR who can also stretch the field with his size. Beane and McD also know him so they like his character.

DraftBoy
Price seems a little heavy for Benjamin, but the Bills clearly wanted to add a guy who could win 50/50 balls to the offense. Doubt he plays on Thursday but you never know.

kingJofNYC
10-31-2017, 03:05 PM
I'm not a fan to be honest, always injured and doesn't have wheels.

Big body though, think we paid too much. Especially since we're paying him almost 10m for 2018.

DraftBoy
10-31-2017, 03:05 PM
Adam Schefter notes that the Bills are giving Carolina 3rd and 7th round picks. (Unknown as to what year, however.)

Both are next year.

Mahdi
10-31-2017, 03:06 PM
Amazing deal! This move really gives us that deep/red zone threat.

We haven't had a target like this since.... I don't think we ever have.

Watkins was fast and was good in red zone as was Moulds but Benjamin is a throw it up and go get it type guy we've never had.

Fades when in close will keep defences honest. He can work the middle of the field and is a monster on slants.

DraftBoy
10-31-2017, 03:06 PM
Bills confirm the deal as 2018 picks.

Joe Fo Sho
10-31-2017, 03:07 PM
Beane is killing it.

I've been pretty vocal about not investing in the WR position because of Tyrod/our offense, but this guy has a low salary and came cheap. His cap hit next year is relatively big though, $9MM. Maybe we renegotiate.

Dr. Lecter
10-31-2017, 03:08 PM
FSU! FSU! FSU! FSU!

Mr. Miyagi
10-31-2017, 03:08 PM
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So basically we got Jordan Matthews and Benjamin for Darby and a 7th. That's a pretty good deal.

I KNEW Beane had one more move in him before today! :bf1:

DraftBoy
10-31-2017, 03:09 PM
Good point being raised on Twitter, Bills still have time to release players and get compensatory 3rd rounder back.

Joe Fo Sho
10-31-2017, 03:10 PM

Big body though, think we paid too much. Especially since we're paying him almost 10m for 2018.

He's missed 1 season due to injury, and has played in every game other than 2015.

EDS
10-31-2017, 03:13 PM
Is Benjamin signed to a contract past this season?

jimmifli
10-31-2017, 03:14 PM
Price seems a little heavy for Benjamin
He's about as productive as Watkins, just a different style. We got a starting CB and a 2nd. So if we set the market on former 1st round oft injured WRs with our preseason trade, then we jut scored a good deal here.

Tough to find a a WR like him the 3rd. I think the Panthers picked up his 5th year, so we have him for next season too.

DraftBoy
10-31-2017, 03:15 PM
Is Benjamin signed to a contract past this season?

Yes, his salary for next year is $8.46 million

Skooby
10-31-2017, 03:15 PM
Price seems a little heavy for Benjamin, but the Bills clearly wanted to add a guy who could win 50/50 balls to the offense. Doubt he plays on Thursday but you never know.
Have you liked anything they’ve done ? Their winning is that ok with you or is trying to seem right more important ?

sahlensguy
10-31-2017, 03:16 PM
Beane and McDermott know what they are getting. That is a big factor in this.

jimmifli
10-31-2017, 03:16 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/l4Ki9iV6LMB5hyGfm/giphy.gif

DraftBoy
10-31-2017, 03:17 PM
He's about as productive as Watkins, just a different style. We got a starting CB and a 2nd. So if we set the market on former 1st round oft injured WRs with our preseason trade, then we jut scored a good deal here.

Tough to find a a WR like him the 3rd. I think the Panthers picked up his 5th year, so we have him for next season too.

I'm not saying the deal was bad, I'm simply saying that the price seems a little heavy. Benjamin is a #2 WR with size but who struggles with separation. He should be a red-zone force and help a lot in blocking, for those reasons alone I like the addition.

Dr. Lecter
10-31-2017, 03:18 PM
Good point being raised on Twitter, Bills still have time to release players and get compensatory 3rd rounder back.
In theory

Which of these 3 do they cut?

Holmes
Davis
Ducasse
Hauschka
DeMarco

Skooby
10-31-2017, 03:18 PM
I'm not saying the deal was bad, I'm simply saying that the price seems a little heavy. Benjamin is a #2 WR with size but who struggles with separation. He should be a red-zone force and help a lot in blocking, for those reasons alone I like the addition.
Will he be our best and most talented WR on this roster ?

DraftBoy
10-31-2017, 03:19 PM
Have you liked anything they’ve done ? Their winning is that ok with you or is trying to seem right more important ?

You seem to be confused, the two aren't mutually exclusive.

Dr. Lecter
10-31-2017, 03:19 PM

Why didn't you tell us about this Mitch?

I mean you have all the scoops!!

amirite???

sahlensguy
10-31-2017, 03:20 PM
A 3rd and a 7th next year, for a shot to end the 17 year playoffs drought THIS YEAR? Steep? No.

Dr. Lecter
10-31-2017, 03:20 PM

Tell us again how many games they will lose if they don't start Peterman and let Tyrod play.

EDS
10-31-2017, 03:21 PM
Yes, his salary for next year is $8.46 million

Lines up with the money saved in the Dareus trade, right?

Mr. Pink
10-31-2017, 03:21 PM
Pointless move.

The top receiver on this team gets 4 targets a game.

Benjamin is a true superstar, what do you think he's gonna do after a few games of only 4 targets a game? He will throw a fit. He's a guy who's used to almost 9 targets a game.

DraftBoy
10-31-2017, 03:22 PM
In theory

Which of these 3 do they cut?

Holmes
Davis
Ducasse
Hauschka
DeMarco

Not sure, could be anybody but Hauschka at this point. I like Holmes a lot but everything he offers they just got in Benjamin. Davis and Ducasse are rotational guys who in theory could be replaced. DiMarco is a hard call because I don't have the play percentage for him.

sahlensguy
10-31-2017, 03:23 PM
Pointless move.

Benjamin is a true superstar, what do you think he's gonna do after a few games of only 4 targets a game? He will throw a fit. He's a guy who's used to almost 9 targets a game.

I'd be more concerned about that too, But considering McDermott's and Beane's familiarity with him, that concern is mitigated.

DraftBoy

That's like telling Op he's the most positive person in an Anger Management group therapy session.

Dr. Lecter
Pointless move.

Sigh.

I like him too - "True Superstar"? For real?

and maybe the receivers get that many targets because they aren't that good.

You try too hard to be contrarian on every single point

DraftBoy
10-31-2017, 03:24 PM
Lines up with the money saved in the Dareus trade, right?

Honestly, I can't recall. I think it's close.

I would assume they'll look to renegotiate the deal and get the number down by increasing the years.

coastal
Why didn't you tell us about this Mitch?

I mean you have all the scoops!!

amirite???

Don't be hatin on mitchmurraydowntown... he's good peeps

streetkings01

Big body though, think we paid too much. Especially since we're paying him almost 10m for 2018. Dude it's a3r and a 7th........what's not to like?

DraftBoy
10-31-2017, 03:25 PM
A 3rd and a 7th next year, for a shot to end the 17 year playoffs drought THIS YEAR? Steep? No.

By that logic every move ever made by the team is defensible.

Dr. Lecter
10-31-2017, 03:25 PM
Not sure, could be anybody but Hauschka at this point. I like Holmes a lot but everything he offers they just got in Benjamin. Davis and Ducasse are rotational guys who in theory could be replaced. DiMarco is a hard call because I don't have the play percentage for him.
Ducasse is starting now and playing every single play. And the run has been better the last two weeks with him playing. I am not saying it is all him, but they don't make him a starter in mid season and then cut him.

Davis is playing a solid amount as well and has been productive. DeMarco is their only try FB.

I just don't see three of as expendable as you do

jimmifli
10-31-2017, 03:26 PM

I'm not sure how you value a 3rd round pick then. To me a third rounder is Zay Jones, Robert Woods or Josh Read on the upside, or Marquise Goodwin, TJ Graham or Roscoe Parish on the downside (yes I know lots of those are 2nd round picks - only strengthens my point).

I take a guy that has already proven he's more productive than those dudes, rather than take the risk in the draft. I realize he costs more from a salary point of view and is only signed for this year and next. But given those comparables, this seems "light" not heavy.

streetkings01
Pointless move.

Benjamin is a true superstar, what do you think he's gonna do after a few games of only 4 targets a game? He will throw a fit. He's a guy who's used to almost 9 targets a game.How is adding a talented young huge WR to a 5-2 team that lacked talent at the WR position pointless?

DraftBoy
Pointless move.

And people thought I was being negative by simply saying I thought the price was a little heavy.

DraftBoy
10-31-2017, 03:28 PM
Ducasse is starting now and playing every single play. And the run has been better the last two weeks with him playing. I am not saying it is all him, but they don't make him a starter in mid season and then cut him.

Davis is playing a solid amount as well and has been productive. DeMarco is their only try FB.

Fair enough.

jimmifli
10-31-2017, 03:31 PM

I cut Joe Banyard or Deonte Thompson

Joe Fo Sho
10-31-2017, 03:32 PM
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/kelvin-benjamin-14437/

Sportrac shows a dead cap of $0 for 2018. Does that mean we can cut him without penalty next year?

I thought once a team picks up their 5th year option, that money is guaranteed. Anybody know anything about this?

Skooby
10-31-2017, 03:34 PM
That's like telling Op he's the most positive person in an Anger Management group therapy session.
Valid point, ROFL.

sahlensguy
10-31-2017, 03:35 PM
By that logic every move ever made by the team is defensible.

No. The trades that bring us a player who is the best on the team for a 3rd and a 7th, is a good deal. Your logic is that the price was heavy was the Benjamin had struggles with separation.

Dr. Lecter
10-31-2017, 03:36 PM
Or one of the 28 OT's.

Thurmal
10-31-2017, 03:36 PM
A big coaching moment, I imagine, will take place when they sit Tyrod down and say:

"Look, we know you prioritize taking care of the football, but it's time to start taking some risks. This guy is a monster; you are going to throw it to him even if he's not wide open and trust that he comes down with the ball. Multiple times per game."

DraftBoy
10-31-2017, 03:38 PM
I'm not sure how you value a 3rd round pick then. To me a third rounder is Zay Jones, Robert Woods or Josh Read on the upside, or Marquise Goodwin, TJ Graham or Roscoe Parish on the downside (yes I know lots of those are 2nd round picks - only strengthens my point).

I struggle to count bad scouting and drafting against the current FO because they didn't make those moves. To me a 3rd round pick could be as bad as that or as good as Mike Wallace.

I take a guy that has already proven he's more productive than those dudes, rather than take the risk in the draft. I realize he costs more from a salary point of view and is only signed for this year and next. But given those comparables, this seems "light" not heavy.

Agreed on adding the talent, I think it was a move they needed to make.

- - - Updated - - -

No. The trades that bring us a player who is the best on the team for a 3rd and a 7th, is a good deal. Your logic is that the price was heavy was the Benjamin had struggles with separation.

And isn't a true #1 and has inconsistent hands.

sahlensguy
10-31-2017, 03:38 PM
A big coaching moment, I imagine, will take place when they sit Tyrod down and say:

"Look, we know you prioritize taking care of the football, but it's time to start taking some risks. This guy is a monster; you are going to throw it to him even if he's not wide open and trust that he comes down with the ball. Multiple times per game."

Well that's a good point. That is not who TT is. He takes care of the ball, and our TO ratio is a big reason why we are where we are this year.

sahlensguy
10-31-2017, 03:41 PM
I struggle to count bad scouting and drafting against the current FO because they didn't make those moves. To me a 3rd round pick could be as bad as that or as good as Mike Wallace.

Agreed on adding the talent, I think it was a move they needed to make.

- - - Updated - - -

And isn't a true #1 and has inconsistent hands.

We are going to have to agree to disagree. I'd like to end the playoff drought sooner than later and think that the compensation for future draft pics was worth bringing in a big time talent in time for this years push, despite his flaws.

Skooby
10-31-2017, 03:42 PM
There’s a chance that Tyrod can’t actually overthrow Kelvin because he’s so tall, lol.

Night Train
10-31-2017, 03:42 PM
Price seems a little heavy for Benjamin, but the Bills clearly wanted to add a guy who could win 50/50 balls to the offense.

They had stockpiled the picks to do it. Still have 5 picks in the first 3 rounds. Amazed Carolina highest pick from the Bills was just a 3rd. Solves a major need.

don137
10-31-2017, 03:44 PM
Bills fan w/ season tickets to Panthers. My opinion is Benjamin is a very good WR. Has problem getting separation and not the fastest but with his size ability to come down with ball he can overcome that weakness. He can make difficult catches but occasionally will drop the catchable ones.
My concern is he occasionally will take plays off (not block or quit running routes). Also, it is common knowledge in Charlotte he isn't the sharpest knife in drawer. Scored a 7 on wonderlic score so my concern is his ability to pick up the offense.

kingJofNYC
10-31-2017, 03:48 PM
Kelvin Benjamin has some of the worst separation in football for a "real superstar."

The dude does not have speed to stretch defenses, or separate, avg separation is 2 yards according to next gen stats, that's not enough for a guy like Tyrod who doesn't throw contested balls. Bad fit for Tyrod, and he always has some nagging injury. Hope I'm wrong, but get yourselves ready for this to not have much impact.

Skooby
10-31-2017, 03:50 PM
Watch him on slants and after he’s gets the ball he’s not easy to tackle.

sahlensguy
10-31-2017, 03:51 PM
Kelvin Benjamin has some of the worst separation in football for a "real superstar."

The dude does not have speed to stretch defenses, or separate, avg separation is 2 yards according to next gen stats, that's not enough for a guy like Tyrod who doesn't throw contested balls. Bad fit for Tyrod, and he always has some nagging injury. Hope I'm wrong, but get yourselves ready for this to not have much impact.
If he helps us make the playoffs it will all be worth it.

Night Train
10-31-2017, 03:52 PM
Career stats
2014 73-1008-9
2015 IR
2016 63-941-7
2017 32-475-2

jimmifli
10-31-2017, 03:54 PM
That seems unreasonably optomistic for what an average 3rd rounder produces.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1608936-finding-the-value-of-a-wide-receiver-in-the-third-round-of-the-nfl-draft
With that said, a total of 176 wide receivers have been drafted in the third round since 1967. All statistics are for the regular season only, updated through 2012. Keep in mind, active players are obviously still likely to add to their numbers.

The average third-round wide receiver plays 56.7 games or about 3.5 seasons in today’s NFL. He catches a little over 120 catches for about 1,720 yards and 11 touchdowns on average. He averages 20.7 yards per game.

kingJofNYC
10-31-2017, 03:54 PM
If he helps us make the playoffs it will all be worth it.
Yeah, that's all that matters to be honest, but I just don't think he's a lock to make this huge impact. I HOPE I'M DEAD WRONG!

jimmifli
10-31-2017, 03:55 PM
Looks good to me...
Not so much to me.

Ed
10-31-2017, 03:57 PM
I love it! He didn't seem to have problems getting open against the Bills and he's been a productive player.

His cap hit of $8.5 mil for next season is from his 5th year option that Carolina exercised earlier in the year. It's guaranteed for injury now and becomes fully guaranteed in March. It's the same situation as when the Bills picked up Stephon Gilmore's 5th year option.

madness
10-31-2017, 03:58 PM

THIS IS THE WORST TANK EVERRRRR!!!

Ed
10-31-2017, 04:02 PM
Also, I don't see the point in cutting 3 players just to get a late compensatory 3rd when you already have 5 picks in the first 3 rounds.

DraftBoy
10-31-2017, 04:03 PM
They had stockpiled the picks to do it. Still have 5 picks in the first 3 rounds. Amazed Carolina highest pick from the Bills was just a 3rd. Solves a major need.

Valid point.

Dr. Lecter
10-31-2017, 04:05 PM
Jimmi wins again

It's Banyard.

DraftBoy
10-31-2017, 04:05 PM
That seems unreasonably optomistic for what an average 3rd rounder produces.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1608936-finding-the-value-of-a-wide-receiver-in-the-third-round-of-the-nfl-draft
With that said, a total of 176 wide receivers have been drafted in the third round since 1967. All statistics are for the regular season only, updated through 2012. Keep in mind, active players are obviously still likely to add to their numbers.

The average third-round wide receiver plays 56.7 games or about 3.5 seasons in today’s NFL. He catches a little over 120 catches for about 1,720 yards and 11 touchdowns on average. He averages 20.7 yards per game.

Good stat pull.

feldspar
10-31-2017, 04:25 PM
Never a dull moment with this regime.

This is Benjamin's contract year though, isn't it?

jimmifli
10-31-2017, 04:35 PM
Never a dull moment with this regime.

This is Benjamin's contract year though, isn't it?

They picked up the 5th year so he makes bank next season, like $8 million or something. Unless we do a new contract.

YardRat
10-31-2017, 04:44 PM
I don't think Tyrod has the accuracy to put the ball in spots where a 'jump ball' guy can realize his full potential...or to hit the quick slants. Don't like giving up one of the thirds from next year, but what the hell it certainly is an infusion of talent at a position group that needs it. I'll be rooting like hell for him to play a big role, obviously. As far as the comp picks for next year, screw that...don't even worry about it and let the chips fall where they do. If they were so concerned about a third round pick they should have just kept the one they shipped off for Benjamin, it certainly isn't worth it to release three of the guys that Lecter listed to accomplish it.

John Doe
10-31-2017, 04:44 PM
Rejoice!

He is not a "slot receiver"

swiper
10-31-2017, 04:45 PM

All I remember is he had a good game against us earlier this year.

SpikedLemonade
10-31-2017, 04:46 PM
I like this move.

Getting a 4th year WR who basically bookended 1,000 yard seasons around his injured lost season is much better than the risk of drafting a 2018 3rd and 6th round player(s).

I can only assume the Panthers did NOT want to sign him for what he wanted coming off his rookie contract.

The criticism of Kelvin was always that could not run Pro patterns but surely at this stage of his career he can.

SpikedLemonade
10-31-2017, 04:47 PM
They picked up the 5th year so he makes bank next season, like $8 million or something. Unless we do a new contract.

We will after this season.

swiper
10-31-2017, 04:52 PM

Exactly. Holmes can now go.

swiper
10-31-2017, 04:53 PM

No. That's not it.

HAMMER
10-31-2017, 05:00 PM
I trust the Beane and not you wanna be GM's, great move.

Mr. Pink
10-31-2017, 05:02 PM
Sigh.

I like him too - "True Superstar"? For real?

You try too hard to be contrarian on every single point

:rofl:

Look at other teams. Even Ricardo Louis on the hapless Browns gets 5 targets a game, and he's a scrub.

Pierre Garcon gets 8 a game on the hapless 49ers.

Kenny Stills on the Fish with their poor QBing gets 6 targets a game and he's their number 2 WR.

Robby Anderson on the Jets is just under 7 targets a game.

But it's just the WRs here aren't very good...uh huh...Jordan Matthews went from 9 targets a game in Philly to 3 here.

Mr. Pink
10-31-2017, 05:05 PM
And people thought I was being negative by simply saying I thought the price was a little heavy.

I don't see my viewpoint as negative, just pointing out the obvious.

Guys like Benjamin want the ball and this simply not the type of offense that will suit his play. When those type of players think they're being misused they get vocal and disgruntled.

swiper
10-31-2017, 05:10 PM

Against the Bills in week #2 he had 6 receptions on 8 targets for 77 yards. That would be an upgrade for any Bills WR.

WagonCircler
10-31-2017, 05:19 PM
Guys like Benjamin want the ball and this simply not the type of offense that will suit his play..

Tyrod isn't always going to be our Quarterback. Whoever the next QB is, he should be capable of throwing to (high) spots and taking advantage of mismatches.

These guys are building for the future, while winning. It's a true rarity.

feldspar
10-31-2017, 05:19 PM
I'm 159% on board with this.

Beanie-baby just totally ripped off his former team IMO.

Love it...still a tad shocked this happened. I think it came together just like 3 minutes before this year's trade deadline, too...what I read per Ian Rapoport.

swiper
10-31-2017, 05:21 PM
Tyrod isn't always going to be our Quarterback. Whoever the next QB is, he should be capable of throwing to (high) spots and taking advantage of mismatches.

These guys are building for the future, while winning. It's a true rarity.

Bingo.

And I think this trade is proof positive that Taylor's time here is limited.

Dr. Lecter
10-31-2017, 05:21 PM
:rofl:

Look at other teams. Even Ricardo Louis on the hapless Browns gets 5 targets a game, and he's a scrub.

Pierre Garcon gets 8 a game on the hapless 49ers.

Kenny Stills on the Fish with their poor QBing gets 6 targets a game and he's their number 2 WR.

Robby Anderson on the Jets is just under 7 targets a game.

But it's just the WRs here aren't very good...uh huh...Jordan Matthews went from 9 targets a game in Philly to 3 here.

I am not a big Taylor fan either, so don't get me wrong.

But for the most part, the Bills have (had) one of the worst receiving corps in the NFL. And they are also a team focuses on the run a lot. Before you have determined that he will definitely whine and cry can we wait at least two weeks?

And as much a I like Benjamin calling him a "true superstar" is hyperbole.

swiper
10-31-2017, 05:23 PM

But for the most part, the Bills have (had) one of the worst receiving corps in the NFL. And they are also a team focuses on the run a lot. Before you have determined that he will definitely whine and cry can we wait at least two weeks?

I think we can all agree he instantly becomes the best WR on this roster.

Turf
10-31-2017, 05:28 PM
If players win do they really care about their stats? That's the kind of player they're looking for.

Mr. Pink
10-31-2017, 05:35 PM
If players win do they really care about their stats? That's the kind of player they're looking for.

They all care about their numbers because that determines what they get paid.

Benjamin is still young and has at least one large payday ahead of him.

alohabillsfan
10-31-2017, 05:42 PM
Guys he's not gonna get 10 targets a game, we are a run first team! When's the last time TT tossed it 40 times ? It's about making the 3 or 4 targets count, especially in the red zone!

feldspar
10-31-2017, 05:43 PM
I think we can all agree he instantly becomes the best WR on this roster.

Well, it will be interesting to see when he he gets on the field exactly, and to what capacity. It will take him some time to get acclimated for sure. How much time, I don't know.

I agree with you, though. He's the best WR have have now, I'd say as well, and by a longshot.

Pennywise
10-31-2017, 05:44 PM
Could we have picked a WR of Benjamin’s caliber in the 3rd round next April?

Unlikely you say?

Me, too.

Good trade.

feldspar
10-31-2017, 05:48 PM
Guys he's not gonna get 10 targets a game, we are a run first team! When's the last time TT tossed it 40 times ? It's about making the 3 or 4 targets count, especially in the red zone!

So what?

The threat of him should enhance the run game more, once he gets up to speed....for starters. The threat of him should often take a guy out of the box, and all that. Plus, he's a good player, which is the only point.

swiper
10-31-2017, 05:48 PM
Could we have picked a WR of Benjamin’s caliber in the 3rd round next April?

Unlikely you say?

Me, too.

Good trade.

Very good thought. As jimmi mentioned we have seen the Roscoe Parrish, TJ Graham picks in that part of the draft. This player is young and has proven himself to be better than average. This is how a good GM builds a team, not by throwing millions at a Dareus or a Mario Williams.

Mr. Pink
10-31-2017, 05:51 PM

Benjamin is a top 10 WR in this league. Without any question.

I listed teams with horrible receiving corps in my post you quoted, minus Miami because Landry is good, and the guys still get targets. When you throw the ball, you have to throw it to someone, so even horrible guys get the ball. If you want to make the argument that the receivers were trash someone will always rise to the top to be a force. It might be only one year but that someone is always there. It's why you see guys like Terrelle Pryor being targeted 9 times a game last year.

Meanwhile you have no explanation as to the why Jordan Matthews went from 9 targets a game in Philly to 3 targets here.

If anything, if the receivers are so trash as you're trying to say and that's the reason why they lack targets, Matthews should jump to a dozen targets a game because he has proven he can actually play WR in this league and can handle having the ball thrown to him a bunch.

The real problem is you have a QB who doesn't like throwing the ball to wide receivers, for whatever reason. The WRs as a whole get 12 targets a game. Antonio Brown himself is on pace to be targeted as much as the entire Bills receiving corps. lol

swiper
10-31-2017, 05:55 PM
He's #17 in the league right now. The guys in front of him all with more targets.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving/sort/receivingYards/year/2017/seasontype/2

ct bills fan
10-31-2017, 05:55 PM
Love the trade but nobody is bringing up an important fact - he needs to pass the physical. With a wonky knee, this is not a given!

Mike13
10-31-2017, 05:59 PM
Why not trade for Eddie Lacy if you all wanted a fat guy?

Pennywise
10-31-2017, 06:00 PM
Love the trade but nobody is bringing up an important fact - he needs to pass the physical. With a wonky knee, this is not a given!

Just stop.

swiper
10-31-2017, 06:06 PM
He caught 3 passes for 39 yards and one TD on Sunday. No reason to worry about his physical.

alohabillsfan
10-31-2017, 06:27 PM
So what?

The threat of him should enhance the run game more, once he gets up to speed....for starters. The threat of him should often take a guy out of the box, and all that. Plus, he's a good player, which is the only point.

I'm not bashing the trade at all, I love it! It's just I don't expect him to have 9 catches for 200 yards in our offense.

Mace
10-31-2017, 06:30 PM
Have a read for insight over at the Carolina Panthers SB nation site. It's worth reading through the comments.

Look, I know that Benjamin may not be the NFL’s best wide receiver, but it’s clear that this is a bad trade for the Panthers. Given that they lack weapons on offense as it is, trading one of your best ones away for a measly 3rd and 7th rounder is not a good way to conduct business. If they wanted to trade Benjamin — fine, trade him — but you have to get more than that.

Brandon Beane fleeced the Panthers here, and it’s a damn shame.

https://www.catscratchreader.com/2017/10/31/16586898/nfl-trade-deadline-panthers-trade-wr-kelvin-benjamin-to-bills

I winced at the 3rd rounder. I've winced at a lot of the things McBeane has done. Doesn't seem to have hurt them any.

In McBeane I trust. They seem to know what they're doing. I'm good with it all. Welcome to Buffalo, Kelvin !

Night Train
10-31-2017, 06:36 PM
When you have 6 picks in the first 3 rounds, you can roll the dice by giving up the 5th or 6th best of those... for a huge WR we desperately need, who was picked 3 years ago in Round 1.

Perspective. They know him. He'll play.

RIP tank.

Cali512
10-31-2017, 06:40 PM
Have a read for insight over at the Carolina Panthers SB nation site. It's worth reading through the comments.

https://www.catscratchreader.com/2017/10/31/16586898/nfl-trade-deadline-panthers-trade-wr-kelvin-benjamin-to-bills

I winced at the 3rd rounder. I've winced at a lot of the things McBeane has done. Doesn't seem to have hurt them any.

In McBeane I trust. They seem to know what they're doing. I'm good with it all. Welcome to Buffalo, Kelvin !

If we keep both then we don't need another WR next year, and we would've probably had to spend a 2nd or 1st on a good WR in the draft. Now its like we used a 3rd on Kelvin Benjamin in the draft.

sahlensguy
10-31-2017, 06:44 PM

I listed teams with horrible receiving corps in my post you quoted, minus Miami because Landry is good, and the guys still get targets. When you throw the ball, you have to throw it to someone, so even horrible guys get the ball. If you want to make the argument that the receivers were trash someone will always rise to the top to be a force. It might be only one year but that someone is always there. It's why you see guys like Terrelle Pryor being targeted 9 times a game last year.

Meanwhile you have no explanation as to the why Jordan Matthews went from 9 targets a game in Philly to 3 targets here.

If anything, if the receivers are so trash as you're trying to say and that's the reason why they lack targets, Matthews should jump to a dozen targets a game because he has proven he can actually play WR in this league and can handle having the ball thrown to him a bunch.

The real problem is you have a QB who doesn't like throwing the ball to wide receivers, for whatever reason. The WRs as a whole get 12 targets a game. Antonio Brown himself is on pace to be targeted as much as the entire Bills receiving corps. lol

I think you are over blowing this.

Last year KB was targeted 118 times in 16 games or 7.4 times per game.

Also last year Sammy Watkins was targeted 52 times in 8 games, or 6.5 times per game.

That is less than 1 target less per game for Sammy from TT.

How many targets are you figuring KB is going to get per game here?

Cali512
10-31-2017, 06:50 PM
It's amazing how simple minded people are around here. Yes, the last few years we did not utilize our star WR enough, but you know what else we had, A DIFFERENT COACHING STAFF. Rick Dennison already designed a lot of plays for Clay the first few games, and is using McCoy perfectly. When Clay went down he used our other weapons to maximize their skill sets. We never had a Benjamin type player this year, so I trust Dennison to use him the way we need to, and the way he used Thomas and Sanders in Denver.

Just because we are the bills, doesn't mean every staff is sucked into a vacuum of negligence

sahlensguy
10-31-2017, 06:51 PM

Doesn't seem like much for insight. Here's the author's bio:

Bradley SmithManaging Editor

I write stories about football and stuff for Cat Scratch Reader. I'm also the Managing Editor so I get to tell everyone what to do. It's pretty neat.

But hey, even a broken watch is correct twice a day. :)

YardRat
10-31-2017, 07:20 PM
This Carolina guy likes it...

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article181982456.html

But before you start spouting 100 reasons why Benjamin getting shipped to Buffalo is a horrible idea, let me remind you of one thing: Carolina’s offense in 2015 didn’t have Benjamin for a single second. And that was the one season since Carolina drafted Benjamin that the Panthers’ offense was almost unstoppable.

So this may be “addition by subtraction” in one sense, and it’s also to get rookie wide receiver Curtis Samuel on the field more. But most of all it’s because Hurney -- and coach Ron Rivera, who certainly would have had to approve of this move -- decided that having identical big, tall and not-very-fast receivers in the same starting lineup was not ideal. Remember, Dave Gettleman drafted both Benjamin and Devin Funchess. They aren’t Hurney’s guys.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article181982456.html#storylink=cpy

Has anybody seen or heard a comment from KB yet?

Skooby
10-31-2017, 07:22 PM

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article181982456.html

But before you start spouting 100 reasons why Benjamin getting shipped to Buffalo is a horrible idea, let me remind you of one thing: Carolina’s offense in 2015 didn’t have Benjamin for a single second. And that was the one season since Carolina drafted Benjamin that the Panthers’ offense was almost unstoppable.

So this may be “addition by subtraction” in one sense, and it’s also to get rookie wide receiver Curtis Samuel on the field more. But most of all it’s because Hurney -- and coach Ron Rivera, who certainly would have had to approve of this move -- decided that having identical big, tall and not-very-fast receivers in the same starting lineup was not ideal. Remember, Dave Gettleman drafted both Benjamin and Devin Funchess. They aren’t Hurney’s guys.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article181982456.html#storylink=cpy

Trying to justify losing a force like him is silly, he’s not a problem child like Dareus.

streetkings01
10-31-2017, 07:23 PM
I'm not bashing the trade at all, I love it! It's just I don't expect him to have 9 catches for 200 yards in our offense.We had a guy come off the street and catch 4 balls for 107 yards in this offense.......it's definitely possible.

SpikedLemonade
10-31-2017, 07:24 PM
Could we have picked a WR of Benjamin’s caliber in the 3rd round next April?.....

NO

SpikedLemonade
10-31-2017, 07:25 PM

Come on Man!!

sahlensguy
10-31-2017, 07:26 PM

Who cares if Carolina thinks it was worth it?

Doesn't mean it can't be a win/win.

Novacane
10-31-2017, 07:31 PM
A solid starting WR for a 3rd round pick seems like a very good deal for the Bills. Curious as to why Carolina wanted to get rid of him.

Ingtar33
10-31-2017, 07:31 PM
I recall Taylor getting the ball to Watkins constantly when Watkins was healthy. If he can develop a bit of chemistry with Benjamin this will turn into a steal.

small quote from Cam: “When you want people in your foxhole, Kelvin Benjamin is the person that you want.”

sahlensguy
10-31-2017, 07:33 PM
I recall Taylor getting the ball to Watkins constantly when Watkins was healthy. If he can develop a bit of chemistry with Benjamin this will turn into a steal.

Yep. 1 less target per game for Sammy last year than for KB.

Turf
10-31-2017, 07:34 PM
I love what this staff is doing. We have a legit receiving corps. If we only had that DE, but we will eventually. Jets lose WR, Dolphins lose WR in tank mode, NE trades backup QB. Things are shaping up for some an interesting run. Like this staff preaches, get better every day, and these guys are soaking it up.

psubills62
10-31-2017, 07:37 PM
This certainly isn't a trade I expected. Interesting add.

Get Clay back from injury and maybe we have some good receivers.

Ingtar33
10-31-2017, 07:37 PM
I love what this staff is doing. We have a legit receiving corps. If we only had that DE, but we will eventually. Jets lose WR, Dolphins lose WR in tank mode, NE trades backup QB. Things are shaping up for some an interesting run. Like this staff preaches, get better every day, and these guys are soaking it up.

and it looks like Clay will be coming back soon... you know the guy who Taylor was tearing it up with? getting clay back will be huge for the offense.

John Doe
10-31-2017, 07:40 PM
The only problem with this is that we only have him under contract for a year and a half. He may decide to try the open market instead of adding years to his contract.

So, a 3rd rounder for a year and a half is not a terrible deal for a player like KB but it is not a steal either, if it plays out that way.

On the other hand, if we make the playoffs because of him, he will be well worth it.

DraftBoy
10-31-2017, 07:42 PM
The only problem with this is that we only have him under contract for a year and a half. He may decide to try the open market instead of adding years to his contract.

So, a 3rd rounder for a year and a half is not a terrible deal for a player like KB but it is not a steal either, if it plays out that way.

On the other hand, if we make the playoffs because of him, he will be well worth it.

I fully expect the Bills to try and get an extension done with him this offseason.

Ingtar33
10-31-2017, 07:49 PM
FYI: I was curious and went poking around a panthers message board. they look like they're melting down over there. As far as panther's fans are concerned they got fleeced trading KB for anything less then Shady or Cordy Glenn.

Turf
10-31-2017, 07:54 PM
FYI: I was curious and went poking around a panthers message board. they look like they're melting down over there. As far as panther's fans are concerned they got fleeced trading KB for anything less then Shady or Cordy Glenn.

To me this move is like (hockey related) Ottawa getting a first rounder for Lehner, except we made out this time.

Skooby
10-31-2017, 08:20 PM

He was a well-liked Force, if you’re in a foxhole that he’s your guy. He is also a great blocker, he will help spring Shady.

TigerJ
10-31-2017, 08:28 PM
Good point being raised on Twitter, Bills still have time to release players and get compensatory 3rd rounder back.I've seen speculation it could be Holmes. They would have similar roles and Benjamin is an upgrade.

Mace
10-31-2017, 08:35 PM

Well :

"I love it. Buffalo has something going on and I'm going to be a part of it. I have a lot in common with Buffalo, we both have unfinished business with a trophy. Looking forward to playing for Coach McDermott and those great fans. This is just the beginning, people."

I don't have a link though because I just made it up.

jimmifli
10-31-2017, 08:37 PM
I've seen speculation it could be Holmes. They would have similar roles and Benjamin is an upgrade.

He's tied with Shady for the team lead in TDs.

sahlensguy
10-31-2017, 08:46 PM
Well :

Damn you! (Although I did smell something after the unfinished trophy business, line)

BidsJr
10-31-2017, 08:49 PM
The best part of this trade that has not been mentioned is that it upgrades all three WR positions.

That is a major, major deal for a 3rd round pick.

GarnOFreak
10-31-2017, 08:56 PM
Pointless move.

It's okay, he only averages 4.2 catches a game over his whole career:
Receiving & Rushing

* Selected to Pro Bowl, + First-Team All-Pro
Share & more

<button class="tooltip" tip="Use a customizable report creator that can
output HTML, CSV, or a shareable link." id="share_on_receiving_and_rushing" style="touch-action: manipulation; margin: 0px; border-width: initial; border-style: none; border-color: initial; padding: 0px; vertical-align: middle; background-image: initial; background-position: initial; background-size: initial; background-repeat: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; font-size: 14px; font-family: &quot;Helvetica Neue&quot;, helvetica, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 1; border-radius: 5px; cursor: pointer; color: rgb(153, 0, 0); text-align: left;">Modify & Share Table</button>
<button class="tooltip" tip="Get a bit of widget code to emed this table on your site" style="touch-action: manipulation; margin: 0px; border-width: initial; border-style: none; border-color: initial; padding: 0px; vertical-align: middle; background-image: initial; background-position: initial; background-size: initial; background-repeat: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; font-size: 14px; font-family: &quot;Helvetica Neue&quot;, helvetica, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 1; border-radius: 5px; cursor: pointer; color: rgb(153, 0, 0); text-align: left;">Embed this Table</button>
<button class="tooltip" tip="Convert the table below to comma-separated values
suitable for use with excel" style="touch-action: manipulation; margin: 0px; border-width: initial; border-style: none; border-color: initial; padding: 0px; vertical-align: middle; background-image: initial; background-position: initial; background-size: initial; background-repeat: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; font-size: 14px; font-family: &quot;Helvetica Neue&quot;, helvetica, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 1; border-radius: 5px; cursor: pointer; color: rgb(153, 0, 0); text-align: left;">Get as Excel Workbook (experimental)</button>
<button class="tooltip" tip="Export table as
suitable for use with excel" style="touch-action: manipulation; margin: 0px; border-width: initial; border-style: none; border-color: initial; padding: 0px; vertical-align: middle; background-image: initial; background-position: initial; background-size: initial; background-repeat: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; font-size: 14px; font-family: &quot;Helvetica Neue&quot;, helvetica, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 1; border-radius: 5px; cursor: pointer; color: rgb(153, 0, 0); text-align: left;">Get table as CSV (for Excel)</button>
<button class="tooltip" tip="" style="touch-action: manipulation; margin: 0px; border-width: initial; border-style: none; border-color: initial; padding: 0px; vertical-align: middle; background-image: initial; background-position: initial; background-size: initial; background-repeat: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; font-size: 14px; font-family: &quot;Helvetica Neue&quot;, helvetica, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 1; border-radius: 5px; cursor: pointer; color: rgb(153, 0, 0); text-align: left;">Strip Mobile Formatting</button>
Copy Link to Table to Clipboard (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BenjKe00.htm#receiving_and_rushing::none)
<button class="tooltip" tip="" style="touch-action: manipulation; margin: 0px; border-width: initial; border-style: none; border-color: initial; padding: 0px; vertical-align: middle; background-image: initial; background-position: initial; background-size: initial; background-repeat: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; font-size: 14px; font-family: &quot;Helvetica Neue&quot;, helvetica, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 1; border-radius: 5px; cursor: pointer; color: rgb(153, 0, 0); text-align: left;">About Sharing Tools</button>
<button class="tooltip" tip="" style="touch-action: manipulation; margin: 0px; border-width: initial; border-style: none; border-color: initial; padding: 0px; vertical-align: middle; background-image: initial; background-position: initial; background-size: initial; background-repeat: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; font-size: 14px; font-family: &quot;Helvetica Neue&quot;, helvetica, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 1; border-radius: 5px; cursor: pointer; color: rgb(153, 0, 0); text-align: left;">Video: SR Sharing Tools & How-to (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWapXbaWs_U&feature=youtu.be)</button>
<button class="tooltip" tip="" style="touch-action: manipulation; margin: 0px; border-width: initial; border-style: none; border-color: initial; padding: 0px; vertical-align: middle; background-image: initial; background-position: initial; background-size: initial; background-repeat: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; font-size: 14px; font-family: &quot;Helvetica Neue&quot;, helvetica, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 1; border-radius: 5px; cursor: pointer; color: rgb(153, 0, 0); text-align: left;">Video: Stats Table Tips & Tricks (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkDLV0roT14&feature=youtu.be)</button>

<button class="tooltip" tip="Show a glossary for each term in the table below
or hold your mouse over the header" style="touch-action: manipulation; margin: 0px; border-width: initial; border-style: none; border-color: initial; padding: 0px; vertical-align: middle; background-image: initial; background-position: initial; background-size: initial; background-repeat: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; font-size: 14px; font-family: &quot;Helvetica Neue&quot;, helvetica, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 1; border-radius: 5px; cursor: pointer; color: rgb(153, 0, 0); text-align: left;">Glossary</button>

<colgroup><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><thead>

Games
Receiving
Rushing

Year
Pos
No.
G
GS
Tgt
Rec
Yds
Y/R
TD
Lng
R/G
Y/G
Ctch%
Rush
Yds
TD
Lng
Y/A
Y/G
A/G
YScm
RRTD
Fmb
AV

</thead><tbody>
2014 (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2014/)
CAR (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/car/2014.htm)
WR
50.3%

2016 (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2016/)
CAR (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/car/2016.htm)
WR
53.4%

2017 (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2017/)
CAR (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/car/2017.htm)
WR
62.7%

</tbody><tfoot>
Career

</tfoot>

2 playoff games - full playoff gamelogs (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BenjKe00/gamelog/post/)

justasportsfan
10-31-2017, 08:57 PM
No wide receiver will ever reach his full potential when his QB can barely average 200 ypg. That being said, he looks like a guy who can get open while TT is running around the field.

sahlensguy
10-31-2017, 09:02 PM
No wide receiver will ever reach his full potential when his QB can barely average 200 ypg.

No argument there!

justasportsfan
10-31-2017, 09:08 PM
If we resign/ extend Mathews next year, does this mean we won't be drafting a receiver with either of our first or 2nds next year?

I'm all for finding a cb opposite Tre with one of our high picks. Good thing we have plenty.

Mr. Pink
10-31-2017, 09:13 PM
I think you are over blowing this.

Last year KB was targeted 118 times in 16 games or 7.4 times per game.

Also last year Sammy Watkins was targeted 52 times in 8 games, or 6.5 times per game.

That is less than 1 target less per game for Sammy from TT.

How many targets are you figuring KB is going to get per game here?

3-4.

Which will take Jordan Matthews down to 2 :rofl:

Even though he was averaging 9 a game over his career before arriving here. I'm sure he'll love how the Bills ruined his value especially in a contract year.

- - - Updated - - -

It's okay, he only averages 4.2 catches a game over his whole career:
Receiving & Rushing

* Selected to Pro Bowl, + First-Team All-Pro
Share & more

<button class="tooltip" tip="Use a customizable report creator that can
output HTML, CSV, or a shareable link." id="share_on_receiving_and_rushing" style="touch-action: manipulation; margin: 0px; border-width: initial; border-style: none; border-color: initial; padding: 0px; vertical-align: middle; background-image: initial; background-position: initial; background-size: initial; background-repeat: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; font-size: 14px; font-family: "Helvetica Neue", helvetica, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 1; border-radius: 5px; cursor: pointer; color: rgb(153, 0, 0); text-align: left;">Modify & Share Table</button>
<button class="tooltip" tip="Get a bit of widget code to emed this table on your site" style="touch-action: manipulation; margin: 0px; border-width: initial; border-style: none; border-color: initial; padding: 0px; vertical-align: middle; background-image: initial; background-position: initial; background-size: initial; background-repeat: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; font-size: 14px; font-family: "Helvetica Neue", helvetica, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 1; border-radius: 5px; cursor: pointer; color: rgb(153, 0, 0); text-align: left;">Embed this Table</button>
<button class="tooltip" tip="Convert the table below to comma-separated values
suitable for use with excel" style="touch-action: manipulation; margin: 0px; border-width: initial; border-style: none; border-color: initial; padding: 0px; vertical-align: middle; background-image: initial; background-position: initial; background-size: initial; background-repeat: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; font-size: 14px; font-family: "Helvetica Neue", helvetica, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 1; border-radius: 5px; cursor: pointer; color: rgb(153, 0, 0); text-align: left;">Get as Excel Workbook (experimental)</button>
<button class="tooltip" tip="Export table as
suitable for use with excel" style="touch-action: manipulation; margin: 0px; border-width: initial; border-style: none; border-color: initial; padding: 0px; vertical-align: middle; background-image: initial; background-position: initial; background-size: initial; background-repeat: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; font-size: 14px; font-family: "Helvetica Neue", helvetica, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 1; border-radius: 5px; cursor: pointer; color: rgb(153, 0, 0); text-align: left;">Get table as CSV (for Excel)</button>
<button class="tooltip" tip="" style="touch-action: manipulation; margin: 0px; border-width: initial; border-style: none; border-color: initial; padding: 0px; vertical-align: middle; background-image: initial; background-position: initial; background-size: initial; background-repeat: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; font-size: 14px; font-family: "Helvetica Neue", helvetica, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 1; border-radius: 5px; cursor: pointer; color: rgb(153, 0, 0); text-align: left;">Strip Mobile Formatting</button>
Copy Link to Table to Clipboard (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BenjKe00.htm#receiving_and_rushing::none)
<button class="tooltip" tip="" style="touch-action: manipulation; margin: 0px; border-width: initial; border-style: none; border-color: initial; padding: 0px; vertical-align: middle; background-image: initial; background-position: initial; background-size: initial; background-repeat: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; font-size: 14px; font-family: "Helvetica Neue", helvetica, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 1; border-radius: 5px; cursor: pointer; color: rgb(153, 0, 0); text-align: left;">About Sharing Tools</button>
<button class="tooltip" tip="" style="touch-action: manipulation; margin: 0px; border-width: initial; border-style: none; border-color: initial; padding: 0px; vertical-align: middle; background-image: initial; background-position: initial; background-size: initial; background-repeat: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; font-size: 14px; font-family: "Helvetica Neue", helvetica, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 1; border-radius: 5px; cursor: pointer; color: rgb(153, 0, 0); text-align: left;">Video: SR Sharing Tools & How-to (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWapXbaWs_U&feature=youtu.be)</button>
<button class="tooltip" tip="" style="touch-action: manipulation; margin: 0px; border-width: initial; border-style: none; border-color: initial; padding: 0px; vertical-align: middle; background-image: initial; background-position: initial; background-size: initial; background-repeat: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; font-size: 14px; font-family: "Helvetica Neue", helvetica, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 1; border-radius: 5px; cursor: pointer; color: rgb(153, 0, 0); text-align: left;">Video: Stats Table Tips & Tricks (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkDLV0roT14&feature=youtu.be)</button>

<button class="tooltip" tip="Show a glossary for each term in the table below
or hold your mouse over the header" style="touch-action: manipulation; margin: 0px; border-width: initial; border-style: none; border-color: initial; padding: 0px; vertical-align: middle; background-image: initial; background-position: initial; background-size: initial; background-repeat: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; font-size: 14px; font-family: "Helvetica Neue", helvetica, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 1; border-radius: 5px; cursor: pointer; color: rgb(153, 0, 0); text-align: left;">Glossary</button>

<colgroup><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><thead>

Games
Receiving
Rushing

Year
Pos
No.
G
GS
Tgt
Rec
Yds
Y/R
TD
Lng
R/G
Y/G
Ctch%
Rush
Yds
TD
Lng
Y/A
Y/G
A/G
YScm
RRTD
Fmb
AV

</thead><tbody>
2014 (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2014/)
CAR (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/car/2014.htm)
WR
50.3%

2016 (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2016/)
CAR (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/car/2016.htm)
WR
53.4%

2017 (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2017/)
CAR (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/car/2017.htm)
WR
62.7%

</tbody><tfoot>
Career

</tfoot>

2 playoff games - full playoff gamelogs (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BenjKe00/gamelog/post/)

He won't even get that many targets a game here, let alone catches.

Generalissimus Gibby
10-31-2017, 09:14 PM

The tank has been dead since at least the Denver game. This season still has too much difficulty for me to say playoffs but it has all the feeling of 1987

Buffalogic
10-31-2017, 09:17 PM
Darby, Watkins and 6th rounder for Matthews, Benjamin, Gaines and a second rounder.

Nice Beane.

GarnOFreak
10-31-2017, 09:18 PM
If we keep both then we don't need another WR next year, and we would've probably had to spend a 2nd or 1st on a good WR in the draft. Now its like we used a 3rd on Kelvin Benjamin in the draft.

The other thing i kept thinking about when wondering if we were going to draft a WR in 2018 was the old adage that WRs take about 3 years to develop in the NFL. Sure, there are abberations who come in immediately and crush it, but they are very few and far between (maybe one every couple of years has a good rookie campaign). That's why I'm not worried so much about Zay at this point. I was concerned we'd have Zay on year 2 and a new rookie 1st or 2nd rounder paired with him. But, if we can have Matthews and Benjamin starting with Zay in the slot (or Clay when he is back healthy), then I think most of us would be pretty comfortable with that. It's a far cry from the game last year when our #1, 2 and 4 WRs were out with injuries....

Mr. Pink
10-31-2017, 09:21 PM
If we resign/ extend Mathews next year, does this mean we won't be drafting a receiver with either of our first or 2nds next year?

I'm all for finding a cb opposite Tre with one of our high picks. Good thing we have plenty.

Why would Jordan resign here? The Bills have completely ruined his value. He's invisible and a non-contributor. Is he really going to want to stay here another year to four to be a non-factor?

Dude is gonna be stuck playing somewhere else on a one year prove it contract so he can try and get a big pay day.

Mace
10-31-2017, 09:22 PM

Hard to say. They don't have a speed guy to stretch the field.

In theory Benjamin is passable 1st, excellent 2nd outside receiver, tall physical guy, red zone threat. Matthews/Jones (when he settles) are possession/slot guys. Pats are scary without dependable long term burners, but they have Brady and they're always looking for dependable long term burners anyway.

Probably we're still in the market for a speed guy down the road as the program matures.

jimmifli
10-31-2017, 09:29 PM
We've got two big receivers that can block, a TE that's a reasonable blocker and a good receiving threat, three Olineman that are good to great runblockers and one of the best RBs in the league. And or QB has a good deep ball and is such a good scrambler teams commit a LB to cover him on most plays.

That's a coherent intentional strategy. Ball control and touchdowns. With an opportunistic defense.

It's smart. Which is new.

kingJofNYC
10-31-2017, 09:38 PM
Top 10 WR, legendary elite status, but pedestrian stats with a former MVP @ QB. Something isn't right?

Arm of Harm
10-31-2017, 09:59 PM
I don't see my viewpoint as negative, just pointing out the obvious.

Guys like Benjamin want the ball and this simply not the type of offense that will suit his play. When those type of players think they're being misused they get vocal and disgruntled.
I'm not overly concerned about him getting vocal, as I trust McDermott to maintain control over his team and his locker room.

What I am concerned about is his contract. It's very likely that his targets per game will plummet as a result of this trade. If I'm Benjamin, I'd be very reluctant to sign a contract extension with team that's taken away the bulk of my targets. My instinct would be to let the current contract play out, hit free agency, then sign with some other team.

I'm not saying this problem is insurmountable. Maybe Benjamin does something stupid, and signs an extension with us. Or, maybe we wave enough money at him that he wouldn't need to be stupid to sign an extension. It's also possible that we'll obtain a new starting QB before Benjamin's contract ends.

Mouldsie
10-31-2017, 10:08 PM

It's also Jarvis Landry, Keenan Allen, Antonio Brown, Tyreek Hill, Stefon Diggs, Adam Thielen, Davonte Adams, Jordy Nelson, TY Hilton, Golden Tate, Doug Baldwin, Emmanuel Sanders, etc

I would probably take Robert Woods over KB, but I see your point. He's a decent player on a team desperate for WR playmaking.

Overall the trade is "meh" to me. Never been a big fan of Benjamin but it's not like the assets lost will make or break us either. He's the best WR on a crappy group now

Mouldsie
10-31-2017, 10:09 PM
I'm not overly concerned about him getting vocal, as I trust McDermott to maintain control over his team and his locker room.

What I am concerned about is his contract. It's very likely that his targets per game will plummet as a result of this trade. If I'm Benjamin, I'd be very reluctant to sign a contract extension with team that's taken away the bulk of my targets. My instinct would be to let the current contract play out, hit free agency, then sign with some other team.

I'm not saying this problem is insurmountable. Maybe Benjamin does something stupid, and signs an extension with us. Or, maybe we wave enough money at him that he wouldn't need to be stupid to sign an extension. It's also possible that we'll obtain a new starting QB before Benjamin's contract ends.

IDK if I would want to extend him.

Cali512
10-31-2017, 11:03 PM
Robert woods is not even close to the same level as Benjamin. That's like saying Matt Ryan is on the same level as Drew Brees

Skooby
10-31-2017, 11:07 PM
Robert woods is not even close to the same level as Benjamin. That's like saying Matt Ryan is on the same level as Drew Brees
I agree, some of you are trying to make new fantasy stories about your perceptions. Get some clues folks, we have a real #1 WR. ESPN called on us to get more WR production, so you can see others recognize the obvious (even ESPN).

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/NFLpowerrankingsx171031/nfl-2017-week-9-power-rankings-scariest-trends-all-32-teams-philadelphia-eagles-new-england-patriots-kansas-city-chiefs-top-board

Mace
10-31-2017, 11:10 PM
IDK if I would want to extend him.

This season though, we have time to change your mind.

Mr. Cynical
10-31-2017, 11:48 PM
Pointless move.

Just putting it out there that both Beane and McD know him extremely well....so do you really think they'd bring in a head case? Doesn't fit their pattern so far.....

Mr. Cynical
10-31-2017, 11:50 PM
It's smart. Which is new.

HAHA....SO true. You win this thread. :)

ICRockets
11-01-2017, 03:04 AM
I love the trade. KB gives Tyrod a weapon similar to, but more talented than, Justin Hunter. Whether he'll have the courage to throw 50/50 balls his way remains to be seen, but either way I like that this shows Beane's willingness to add weapons to help us compete short-term as opposed to exclusively stockpiling picks for the future.

Luisito23
11-01-2017, 05:09 AM
this shows Beane's willingness to add weapons to help us compete short-term.

He's only 26, so this is also about the future and he also helps us with this upcoming draft...

Smart all-around.

YardRat
11-01-2017, 06:00 AM
Well :

Finally....

"The guy at the airport wearing the tricorn admiral hat and throwing smokes at me when I got off the plane this morning was a little strange, but I'm really glad to be here and reunited with Coach McD. Dude kept yelling "Tampa2! Tampa2! Arrrgh, matey!!!", too...what the hell is that!??!"

Buffalogic
11-01-2017, 06:27 AM
This boils down to Ronald Darby plus a 7th round pick for Matthews and Benjamin. Everyone should like this trade.

WagonCircler
11-01-2017, 06:34 AM

This is where I feel that McD/Beane's Carolina connections really pay off. I don't think they make this move without reasonable assurance that Benjamin would be amenable to an extension. I think they know Benjamin and people around him well enough to have excellent intel on his state of mind and his health.