X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jimmifli
    • Nov 2006

Carolina Panthers Film Analysis: Kelvin Benjamin TD against Cover 2

Kelvin Benjamin’s touchdown catch last Sunday against the Buccaneers perfectly demonstrates why Cover 2 is slowly going extinct in the NFL

Cover 2 is one of the most well-known coverage shells in football. It’s been around for almost forever. For much of the 90’s and early 2000’s it was ubiquitous at every level of football from high school all the way up to the NFL. However, its popularity has plummeted over the years, as offenses have found multiple ways to exploit it.
    Diagram courtesy of CougCenter, SB Nation’s Houston Cougars blog
    Cover 2 requires the outside cornerbacks to play the flats and pass off any deeper routes to the safeties. Unfortunately, receivers have been getting bigger and faster every year, and safeties haven’t been able to keep up. There is currently a massive dearth of safety talent all across the NFL today, and it’s simply unfair to ask safeties to cover outside receivers down the field without any other help. It’s also a waste of an outside cornerback’s talents to play them only as a flat defender.
    Although Cover 2 is declining in popularity in today’s NFL, teams still occasionally use it as a situational coverage shell. On Sunday, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers decided to roll out with a Cover 2 variation called Tampa 2 on a third down and sixteen situation, with the Panthers deep in Buccaneers territory.
    The Panthers dialed up the perfect play to beat this coverage, with Kelvin Benjamin running the corner route from the outside wide receiver alignment.

more...
  • sahlensguy
    • Mar 2015

Re: Carolina Panthers Film Analysis: Kelvin Benjamin TD against Cover 2

Originally posted by jimmifli View Post
    https://www.catscratchreader.com/201...newton-cover-2

Cover 2 is one of the most well-known coverage shells in football. It’s been around for almost forever. For much of the 90’s and early 2000’s it was ubiquitous at every level of football from high school all the way up to the NFL. However, its popularity has plummeted over the years, as offenses have found multiple ways to exploit it.
    Diagram courtesy of CougCenter, SB Nation’s Houston Cougars blog
    Cover 2 requires the outside cornerbacks to play the flats and pass off any deeper routes to the safeties. Unfortunately, receivers have been getting bigger and faster every year, and safeties haven’t been able to keep up. There is currently a massive dearth of safety talent all across the NFL today, and it’s simply unfair to ask safeties to cover outside receivers down the field without any other help. It’s also a waste of an outside cornerback’s talents to play them only as a flat defender.
    Although Cover 2 is declining in popularity in today’s NFL, teams still occasionally use it as a situational coverage shell. On Sunday, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers decided to roll out with a Cover 2 variation called Tampa 2 on a third down and sixteen situation, with the Panthers deep in Buccaneers territory.
    The Panthers dialed up the perfect play to beat this coverage, with Kelvin Benjamin running the corner route from the outside wide receiver alignment.

more...
    I guess my concern is, does TT make that pass?

Comment

• jimmifli
      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by sahlensguy View Post
      I guess my concern is, does TT make that pass?
      I think so. If he's 10 yards farther, for sure. If he's 10 yards closer, probably not. But I think he'll pull the trigger against zone once he sees the CB stay behind.

Comment

• DraftBoy
        Administrator
        • Jul 2002

Great route and box out by Benjamin. SS actually got there in time but he couldn't get through Benjamin for the ball.
        COMING SOON...
        Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
        We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Ed
          • Sep 2002

The Bills site posted some other highlights of Benjamin. Some good examples of how he uses his size to his advantage and how strong he is:

Comment

• jimmifli
            • Nov 2006

He runs his routes in quicksand though. Not much separation, although he doesn't seem to need it.

Comment

• The last buffalo fan
              I told the pet store guy "How else am I supposed to get the mouse out of my ass?"
              • Sep 2004

I think I need now a ****ing new jersey, ****ing guy is a ****ing beast and I ****ing love it!
              The Mexican & too!!

- Adriano & Emiliano, the next Villa & Zapata. Viva Mexico, cabrones!!! -

Comment

• Night Train
                Retired - On Several Levels
                • Jul 2005

Separation ? The guy is a power forward using his body to block out his man.
                Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Ingtar33
                  Dances With Buffaloes
                  • Sep 2002

the dude looks like a TE. It's insane he's playing WR.
                  My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X