PDA

View Full Version : Beane: Benjamin to be X receiver, Zay to Z receiver

DraftBoy
11-01-2017, 07:44 AM
GM Brandon Beane on WGR this morning.

Benjamin will play the X WR spot, or split-end, against the weak side of the defensive formation and Zay will move to the Z receiver, or flanker, against the strong side.

I would assume this means Thompson will function out of the slot.

Forward_Lateral
11-01-2017, 07:50 AM
GM Brandon Beane on WGR this morning.

Benjamin will play the X WR spot, or split-end, against the weak side of the defensive formation and Zay will move to the Z receiver, or flanker, against the strong side.

I would assume this means Thompson will function out of the slot.

Matthews?

DraftBoy
11-01-2017, 08:13 AM
Matthews?

Could also be slot bound. He's been better in the slot during his career.

Cali512
11-01-2017, 08:29 AM
I just read that kaelin clay was signed by the panthers and they want him on the field more. Kind of ironic lol

DraftBoy
11-01-2017, 08:36 AM
One route I'd like to see added to the Buffalo passing attack that I haven't seen much of is the back shoulder throw in the intermediate to deep territory.

Let the CB take in the inside position on the deep route because Taylor can put the ball on the outside shoulder where only Benjamin has a shot to make a play. If teams aren't going to respect Benjamin deep, and they won't, then punish them in man coverage by throwing to his size and use the sideline as a weapon.

We didn't bring Benjamin in to be a deep threat or big play guy, we brought him in to be a different part of our passing attack.

WagonCircler
11-01-2017, 08:56 AM
because Taylor can put the ball on the outside shoulder where only Benjamin has a shot to make a play..

Can he, though? Consistently? I'm not so sure.

Joe Fo Sho
11-01-2017, 08:59 AM
One route I'd like to see added to the Buffalo passing attack that I haven't seen much of is the back shoulder throw in the intermediate to deep territory.

Tyrod generally puts that ball safely out of the field of play.

SpikedLemonade
11-01-2017, 09:03 AM
Tyrod generally puts that ball safely out of the field of play.

LOL!!!!

He can only do that due to Bills Management's wisdom of NOT having any cheerleaders on the sidelines.

Otherwise he would be truly dangerous.

Goobylal
11-01-2017, 09:07 AM
Matthews is the more veteran and productive receiver and will be the starter in the slot. I think Zay takes that spot next year and they let Matthews walk. But I’d rather have Thompson at the Z with Zay as the 4th WR.

DraftBoy
11-01-2017, 09:10 AM
Can he, though? Consistently? I'm not so sure.

Only needs to hit it a couple of times. Teams may adjust to a zone coverage approach which should open up the slant routes where Benjamin can really hurt a team.

Forward_Lateral
11-01-2017, 09:13 AM
Matthews will move to the slot, Beane already stated it.

YardRat
11-01-2017, 05:30 PM
Taylor isn't accurate enough to throw the back shoulder with any consistency, IMO. It's a TON easier to lead a guy, even when he's 'covered', than hit a back shoulder.

Cali512
11-01-2017, 05:49 PM
Tyrod is more accurate than Cam by a mile.

Cali512
11-01-2017, 05:57 PM
It's crazy to think though

We replaced Watkins and Woods with Zay, Thompson, Mathews, and Benjamin
Then replaced Darby and Gilmore with Gaines and white, along with getting 2 elite safeties to help out

All along getting 2 1sts and 2 2nds

I truly believe we got better

Ingtar33
11-01-2017, 07:34 PM

Then replaced Darby and Gilmore with Gaines and white, along with getting 2 elite safeties to help out

I do too. Beane is winning me over pretty quickly. I heard he was the brains behind the Panthers a few years ago back before we signed him, I wrote it off as nonsense, but now it's starting to look a bit true to me at this point.

Mouldsie
11-01-2017, 09:40 PM
I do too. Beane is winning me over pretty quickly. I heard he was the brains behind the Panthers a few years ago back before we signed him, I wrote it off as nonsense, but now it's starting to look a bit true to me at this point.
All I heard about him was that he was the brain behind doing things like trading up for Funchess which had me nervous. He does not have a scouting background. But so far he's not won me or lost me with the Bills. Too early. I question his ability to identify WR talent however. Sean won me over day 1

Turf
11-02-2017, 12:30 PM

When you put it together that way, it looks like an amazing job.