PDA

View Full Version : Bills' Oline Tops Weekly Rankings

cookie G
11-01-2017, 05:29 PM
1) Buffalo Bills

The Bills' offensive line had its best game of the season against the Raiders on Sunday. Buffalo put up 331 yards of total offense, including 166 yards on the ground. LeSean McCoy accounted for 151 rushing yards on 27 carries (5.6 yards per carry), with a lot of that coming on a late-game 48-yard touchdown run. As good as the running game looks on paper, it was the Bills' pass protection that vaulted them into the top spot. For the first time this season, they didn't allow a single sack or QB hit all game. The line ranked as the third-best run-blocking and pass-blocking unit this week, per Pro Football Focus. Center Eric Wood had another good game, the third one this season in which he did not give up a pressure. Cordy Glenn had another strong performance; he was one of the best left tackles this week. It's always a good sign when Raiders defensive star Khalil Mack doesn't wreck a game, and the reigning Defensive Player of the Year didn't post a single pressure or sack.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000870434/article/offensive-line-of-the-week-buffalo-bills-barrel-their-way-to-no-1

And from Buscaglia

Joe Buscaglia‏Verified account @JoeBuscaglia 4h4 hours ago

#Bills-Raiders All-22 takeaway: That was as dominant an O-Line performance as I've seen from the Bills in the years I've been doing this.

I said it in teh Balls and Goats thread, Incognito and Wood owned the inside. Most of Shady's yards came behind Richie...they were blowing people off the ball.

And the Impaler and Mills def. stepped it up against Mack.

IDK if it was the best Oline performance in years...but it was good, very, very good.

And... one of the reasons its been better since the bye besides getting Glenn back:

(Eric Wood from Sirius this morning, sorry..no link...just going by what someone else heard)

- Difference in offense last year to this year

Anytime you go from as multiple as we were with power schemes and inside zone / outside zone, what we call bounce schemes or cross schemes, and then you go to almost exclusively outside zone, it takes a little while to get going. A lot of the plays that we’re running in the preseason against our own guys takes some work, we’re coming into our own right now, last couple weeks we’ve got it going – we’re mixing back in some of the power stuff we’ve been good at in the past – and it seems to be a good mix

Thank You Mr. Dennison, for allowing this to happen before the season was wasted.

Mix things up, put them in position, and these guys can run block.

Arm of Harm
11-01-2017, 05:48 PM
But, but, but, I was told, right here on this message board, that Dennison was garbage!

Cali512
11-01-2017, 06:00 PM
I think what happened was during the bye, our players told Dennison the types of plays they liked and what worked last year. Dennison then incorporated more mis direction, option, deep routes, and plays to McCoy in space. He adapted which is awesome that we have an OC that did so

cookie G
11-01-2017, 06:02 PM
But, but, but, I was told, right here on this message board, that Dennison was garbage!

Dennison is now doing...what some on here said he should have been doing since week 1.

What Eric Wood said today, is pretty much what some on here were saying since the Panthers game.

cookie G
11-01-2017, 06:04 PM
I think what happened was during the bye, our players told Dennison the types of plays they liked and what worked last year. Dennison then incorporated more mis direction, option, deep routes, and plays to McCoy in space. He adapted which is awesome that we have an OC that did so

I had heard McCoy say during the bye week that they were working on some of last year's plays.

And I agree...so many OC's/DC's get wayyyy to set in their ways and refuse to look at alternatives.

SpikedLemonade
11-01-2017, 06:04 PM
I was at the game Christ.

That Raiders DL was crap.

Not real pressure.

Infrequent blitzes.

Let's NOT jump to conclusions yet.

YardRat
11-01-2017, 06:13 PM
I hope you're right.

cookie G
11-01-2017, 06:23 PM
I was at the game Christ.

That Raiders DL was crap.

Not real pressure.

Infrequent blitzes.

Let's NOT jump to conclusions yet.

And they did the same thi9ng to Tampa the week before

and most teams they faced in the prior 2 years. (10 games of more than 150 yards rushing in 2016, 11 games of more than 130 yds.)

No jumping to conclusions...just going with what works.

jimmifli
11-01-2017, 06:45 PM
I had heard McCoy say during the bye week that they were working on some of last year's plays.

And I agree...so many OC's/DC's get wayyyy to set in their ways and refuse to look at alternatives.

I was most worried about him. I expected the D to return to Schwartz performance levels, but I was worried the offense would fall off. I understand a new guy coming in with a track record of success wanting to do things his way, but there's also a "if it's not broke don't fix it" argument. My preference is to keep running what works and slowly mix in the new stuff that has worked for Dennison in the past.

He didn't choose that route intially. But he did something better. He admitted he was wrong. He listened to his players and he learned from his mistake.

I trust him a lot, and I bet the team does too.