PDA

View Full Version : A meltdown of epic proportions

BillsFanCupp38
11-02-2017, 09:35 PM
This team is falling apart before our eyes. This game isn't over but they have acted like they lost in the middle of the third quarter. They need to get a handle on this.

Buffalogic
11-02-2017, 09:39 PM
Thursday night games are horse**** and we clearly aren't ready to play.

Novacane
11-02-2017, 09:41 PM
The discouraging thing is they did not even show up.

psubills62
11-02-2017, 09:47 PM
Thankfully, the points don't carry over to the next game. It is what it is and move on.

sukie
11-02-2017, 09:53 PM
Not a meltdown... more like a Rex relapse.

sukie
11-02-2017, 09:55 PM
Thursday night games are horse**** and we clearly aren't ready to play.

both teams short week. One got schooled.

TigerJ
11-02-2017, 10:23 PM
The Jets have played well tonight and deserve to win. On the other hand, this might be the worst game the Bills have played in a couple years anyway. Everything they've been doing right thus far this season, they've done wrong tonight. Lots of penalties including wildly undisciplined ones, poor tackling, poor play calling, poor offensive and defensive line play, committing turnovers and failing to take advantage or opportunities for takeaways, not to mention some really creative stupidity (Nick O'Leary assuming the play was over because he lost his balance and went down without being touched leading to a forced fumble because he wasn't anticipating being tackled.)The only bright spot that I could see in the whole game is that Zay Jones appears to be losing his rookie jitters and is now catching everything that comes his way. Now we have to wait and see how badly hurt he is. I'll give Sean McDermott a mulligan for this game, but now the pressure is on him to get the team to do a quick turnaround and beat an opponent in ten days that is probably better than the Jets.

Bill Cody
11-02-2017, 10:27 PM
Not a meltdown... more like a Rex relapse.

So true. Going to go check out my wife’s feet

Mace
11-02-2017, 10:29 PM
Yeah, I'm ok with this. I got overexcited at the progress but I knew better that they need more talent. They have the picks to add it if the scouts do their job for once, and I can't gripe much because McBeane already did way better with less than I expected.

On to next week.

ParanoidAndroid
11-02-2017, 10:29 PM
The league is at the height of parity right now. Anyone can beat anyone any given Sunday. This season has been all over the place.

Cali512
11-02-2017, 10:30 PM
I think this showed more how much this team is dependent on coaching than actual skill. We need a full week to game plan and work out kinks and we weren't ready in this shortened week

Pennywise
11-02-2017, 10:31 PM
Absolutely need to win the next two.

yordad
11-02-2017, 10:35 PM
Goats: Jerry Hughes and the entire o-line.

The Natrix
11-02-2017, 10:35 PM
You know it is bad when Romo brings up Peterman on national TV.

stuckincincy
11-02-2017, 10:49 PM
This team is falling apart before our eyes. This game isn't over but they have acted like they lost in the middle of the third quarter. They need to get a handle on this.

You obviously havern't seen many Bengals or Browns games through the years...

Buffalogic
11-02-2017, 10:51 PM
The road team. Like always.

Mr. Pink
11-02-2017, 10:51 PM
You obviously havern't seen many Bengals or Browns games through the years...

The Browns games are over before the ball is even kicked off. That team hasn't mattered in 30 years....minus 3 seasons.

Bill Cody
11-03-2017, 09:19 AM
You know it is bad when Romo brings up Peterman on national TV.

Yeah I had to laugh when he was making fun of Taylor padding his stats in garbage time.

I think right now, as in today, is the time to make the QB change. It's as close as we get to a bye. The team is headed for the nether world of 8-8 (otherwise known as Billsland). That kind of change would cause a certain amount of turmoil in the locker room along with a certain amount of excitement. it would be a test for a new coach to manage that and it would take balls. But if you stay status quo you get what you've been getting from the position, meh.

sukie
11-03-2017, 10:38 AM
I don't want anyone I don't feel is expendable QBing behind that collection of fat guys in white that (cough) played last night.

swiper
11-03-2017, 11:08 AM

Home team benefit is far too much for these games. Proven here.

swiper
11-03-2017, 11:11 AM
Yeah I had to laugh when he was making fun of Taylor padding his stats in garbage time.

I think right now, as in today, is the time to make the QB change. It's as close as we get to a bye. The team is headed for the nether world of 8-8 (otherwise known as Billsland). That kind of change would cause a certain amount of turmoil in the locker room along with a certain amount of excitement. it would be a test for a new coach to manage that and it would take balls. But if you stay status quo you get what you've been getting from the position, meh.

Taylor was not the reason the Bills lost that game.

chris66
11-03-2017, 11:32 AM
Home team benefit is far too much for these games. Proven here.
Road team is 5-4 on thurs this season

feldspar
11-03-2017, 12:26 PM
We got beat fair and square and did not deserve to win.

At least we out-tanked them, right, fellas?

Just not a fun game to watch.

Joe Fo Sho
11-03-2017, 12:30 PM

But he was the reason why the game became out of reach midway through the 3rd quarter. He's not coming back from being down 2 scores in the 2nd half.

sudzy
11-03-2017, 05:50 PM
The road team. Like always.

What was the Bills excuse last year when the Jets spanked them Thursday night week two at New Era Field?

Arm of Harm
11-03-2017, 06:28 PM

Granted.

But let's say the Bills' defense is playing well, keeping our opponent from scoring many points. It's also generating plenty of turnovers. The running game is going well, with LeSean McCoy averaging over 5 yards a carry. The running attack as a whole is getting north of 150 yards a game. At that point you could say that you're perfectly fine with the fact your QB only generates 150 - 200 passing yards, as long as he doesn't turn the ball over.

So in the past a Bills fan might have overlooked certain weaknesses or limitations in Tyrod's game, because they trusted the rest of the team to mask those weaknesses. Why nitpick when you're winning games and things are going well? But the Jets game was a wakeup call that the running game won't always be there. The defense won't always generate a slew of turnovers. Nor will it always be able to hold the opponent to a low score.

At that point, it becomes apparent that the formula which let us win those 5 games is not necessarily going to work on a consistent basis, going forward. Respect to Sean McDermott for pulling out those five wins, but this team is going to need new horses if we want sustainable success. One of those new horses is going to have to be at quarterback.

Wally The Barber
11-04-2017, 09:19 AM
We got beat fair and square and did not deserve to win.

At least we out-tanked them, right, fellas?

Just not a fun game to watch.

^ this

BOBM253
11-04-2017, 09:29 AM
Prime time is not good for the Bills.

LarryBoy
11-04-2017, 09:59 AM
The way we lost to the Jets there's no way we are ready for the Pats. :sad:

Buddo
11-05-2017, 04:16 AM
Granted.

But let's say the Bills' defense is playing well, keeping our opponent from scoring many points. It's also generating plenty of turnovers. The running game is going well, with LeSean McCoy averaging over 5 yards a carry. The running attack as a whole is getting north of 150 yards a game. At that point you could say that you're perfectly fine with the fact your QB only generates 150 - 200 passing yards, as long as he doesn't turn the ball over.

So in the past a Bills fan might have overlooked certain weaknesses or limitations in Tyrod's game, because they trusted the rest of the team to mask those weaknesses. Why nitpick when you're winning games and things are going well? But the Jets game was a wakeup call that the running game won't always be there. The defense won't always generate a slew of turnovers. Nor will it always be able to hold the opponent to a low score.

At that point, it becomes apparent that the formula which let us win those 5 games is not necessarily going to work on a consistent basis, going forward. Respect to Sean McDermott for pulling out those five wins, but this team is going to need new horses if we want sustainable success. One of those new horses is going to have to be at quarterback.

Before we crucify Taylor, I thought his general performance was pretty good. He's not the guy dropping the football, or having it ripped from his arms after making a catch. Both Mathews and O'Leary seriously didn't help things, by missing completions that would have lead to another set of downs. They both happened when there was still a game on. Jones is tripped and injured, just as he's becoming a force in the (particular) game, so another weapon is out when needed.

Tbh, I'm not especially 'anti' the pov that we will need another QB to progress in the long term, but I really think that showcasing a disastrous team performance as the reason why, is going to actually prove the point.

Taylor has only won a couple of games, when coming from behind, and I believe his 'style' of QB play, isn't the most conducive to being able to win those games, but that's just something we have to get around, for the time being. Who knows, the addition of Benjamin, might make a significant difference in that respect. We haven't had a guy like him, probably ever, in respect of being able to just put the football up there, and he'll come down with it.

In effect, Taylor is 1-3 this year, on 'comebacks'. It's a record that isn't as bad as it might be, and tbh, unless you are the likes of Montana, Brady, Manning or Rodgers, even good QBs probably aren't expected to be better than around even, in that respect.

In an awful team performance, Taylor was one of the very few guys, who actually still performed creditably, and you will have to look pretty hard to find a full handful of those.

The Bills aren't especially going to change the 'formula' going forward, but the addition of Benjamin, does actually give them more options in relation to making it successful.

Fwiw, even if we identify a gun slinging, franchise QB, you can bet your bottom dollar, that McDermott will still be chewing his arse off, if he turns the football over. ;)

sudzy
11-05-2017, 04:35 AM
The way we lost to the Jets there's no way we are ready for the Pats. :sad:

THE PATRIOT? THE PATRIOTS? I just hope we can compete with the Saints after that pitiful showing.