PDA

View Full Version : I think Tyrod is progressing as a passer

BillsFanCupp38
11-03-2017, 08:04 AM
Hate all you want but he's been much more effective in the pocket as a passer since the bye and last night was his best game thus far. I'm not saying he was perfect, but even with all that pressure all night he continued to dog it out. We can't fault him for the game. The offensive line got OWNED in every sense of the word. That game came down to turnovers, offensive and defensive lines. We were their whipping boys. That is why the Jets d line was dancing around in the 4th quarter because they knew it. Simply put our big boys got whipped by their big boys.

sukie
11-03-2017, 08:14 AM
The oline was disgusting. Taylor stepped up as best he could. I saw passes, although short, that were in tight coverage and they were over the middle. He had no time for a long pass to develop.

There wasn't even time for a screen to develop. The Oline was THAT bad. Mad the Jets pass rush look like the Giants superbowl winning pass rush.

Problem 2 WRs. I give them credit. They did fairly well with the god given skill set that they have. Benjamin will help being huge and requiring attention.

Would really love to see screen passes or maybe I'm just old and longing for Thurman vs Dolphins outcomes.

justasportsfan
11-03-2017, 08:19 AM
Still not good enough. Mckown looked way better.

justasportsfan
11-03-2017, 08:20 AM
Can't even apply 3 step drops to get the ball out of his hands quick because he isn't that kind of a QB. All sorts of limitations in the passing game when he's the QB.

BillsFanCupp38
11-03-2017, 08:32 AM
No not good enough. But could Tom Brady win with that offensive line play last night? I'd be real hard pressed to say he could have. Think 2007 Superbowl.

Homegrown
11-03-2017, 08:44 AM
No not good enough. But could Tom Brady win with that offensive line play last night? I'd be real hard pressed to say he could have. Think 2007 Superbowl.

Brady sure could because his average release time is 2 seconds ( https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/tom-brady-is-nfls-quickest-draw-and-its-paying-off-for-the-3-0-patriots/ ) .... TT holds on to the ball waayyy tooo long

Best way to kill a pass rush? ... throw quick-hitter pass patterns .... but our QB/RB can't do that because of his limited skill set - TT would be a great 'wing-T' QB if it was 1937, not 2017

BillsFanCupp38
11-03-2017, 08:47 AM
There were times last night that Tyrod didn't have two seconds.

imbondz
11-03-2017, 08:48 AM
I was actually surprised at Tyrods ability to even get the ball out and stay in the pocket knowing it was collapsing 1 second after the snap. The game reminded me of 2001-2016.

Topas
11-03-2017, 09:14 AM
The OLine was really horrible. I dont know why. I did not think they were as good as advertised after the last few games. But I also thought they would never play as bad as yesterday. This might be one of the worst O Line performances in the whole NFL all year.
And I dont know why. The short week should not be that much of a problem for the Oline. Because just block the guy opposite of you. Or does the OLine suffer the most from a shortened recovery time. Maybe that is true. But still it was almost an epic meltdown...

Albany,n.y.
11-03-2017, 09:22 AM
The OLine was really horrible. I dont know why. I did not think they were as good as advertised after the last few games. But I also thought they would never play as bad as yesterday. This might be one of the worst O Line performances in the whole NFL all year.
And I dont know why. The short week should not be that much of a problem for the Oline. Because just block the guy opposite of you. Or does the OLine suffer the most from a shortened recovery time. Maybe that is true. But still it was almost an epic meltdown...
I know why the O-line was so bad-2 guys on the right side who don't belong in the NFL.

Bill Cody
11-03-2017, 09:28 AM
The O line got dominated. Taylor is improving some from the pocket. I think the guy is a pretty smart player and he tries hard. I just don't think he's ever going to be much better than average. I'm ready to see Peterman. And some O line shuffling.

Arm of Harm
11-03-2017, 09:39 AM
Tyrod did have some good throws last night. I'll give him that.

However, it's also worth mentioning that the offense produced just 7 points last night during quality time, and 14 points in garbage time.

Let's say a team has a real QB. That team's running game gets shut down. Their defense fails to generate any turnovers. Their offense will still score points, because they have a QB.

You could say that even a real QB's performance would be hampered by the abysmal showing we saw from our OL. Fine. Granted. But there were a number of throws Tyrod left out there, either due to being inaccurate, or because he simply didn't see the WR.

Bill Walsh developed the West Coast offense in the first place in large part to help compensate for a bad OL. You get the ball out quickly, in order to tire out and demoralize the pass rushers. Dennison has spoken of implementing a West Coast offense for the Bills. That, obviously, did not happen. Tyrod needs to be in a run-first offense. And, he shouldn't be in an offense which emphasizes short, horizontal passing routes, as those are not his forte. If the defense is stacking eight men in the box (as it was last night), if the running game is going well despite the stacked box, and if your own defense is generating turnovers, Tyrod will give you the 150 - 200 passing yards you need to turn that game into a win.

sukie
11-03-2017, 09:44 AM
Bill Walsh was never saddled with me, Lechter, and Spiked as WRs.

Joe Fo Sho
11-03-2017, 09:50 AM
I wonder if Peterman's any good.

Cali512
11-03-2017, 09:55 AM
The bad thing is even though he did decent from the pocket, this was a game they needed to move the pocket. Just like the first jets game and the Denver game. They were getting pressure up the middle all game and if we would of moved the pocket better, we probably would've done better. This also would help the running game. It's like we wanted to show how much Tyrod has progressed on national tv instead of doing a game plan that worked

Homegrown
11-03-2017, 09:56 AM
I wonder if Peterman's any good.
I guess we won't know b/c the RB masquerading as a NFL QB is "progressing as a passer" not-with-standing he has ONE 300+ game in 37 NFL starts .... how could we do any better?

Thurmal
11-03-2017, 09:58 AM
He is good at getting out of the pocket when the o-line is horrible. That's his strength.

The reality, though, is that the more he is required to play QB, the worse the team does. 40 attempts last night = worst loss of the season.

Joe Fo Sho
11-03-2017, 10:12 AM
Tyrod when he throws for less than 200 yards is 14-5.

Tyrod when he throws for more than 200 yards is 6-12.

I'm not even going to complain about the fact he throws for less than 200 yards in half of his games, but when we need the guy to be a quarterback we lose. It's pretty simple. That is a bad strategy in today's NFL, unless you want to go 7-9 every year. Why are people still defending this guy? We could replace Tyrod with any Trent Edwards-like QB and get pretty close to the same result. That's not how I want my QB to play. Try something new.

Pennywise
11-03-2017, 10:30 AM
I found Romo’s commentary enlightening that Taylor was refusing to look at WR’s on the outside in man coverage.

EDS
11-03-2017, 10:34 AM
Jets had a good game plan. They dropped a safety into the box and left the outside receivers in single coverage knowing that Tyrod is reluctant to throw to the sidelines unless someone is wide open. The Bills lost those vertical outside plays when they traded Watkins as they no longer have anyone who can create the same separation that gives Tyrod comfort throwing deep near the sidelines. The weakness of that Jets defense is definitely their corners so failing to exploit that hurt.

Benjamin is not a burner but hopefully his size is enough to entice Tyrod to throw to him even in tight coverage.

Mr. Pink
11-03-2017, 10:36 AM
Well he did put up 32 points in fantasy last night against me, so he must be doing good!

On a serious note, Tony Romo is an outstanding analyst. Already one of the better ones.

justasportsfan
11-03-2017, 11:11 AM
No not good enough. But could Tom Brady win with that offensive line play last night?

Brady knows how to get rid of the ball. They do not have a great running game but it does not matter. Brady will beat you if you stack the line to stop the run. Even when people know that the Pats will throw the ball, Brady can still impose their passing game.

BillsFanCupp38
11-03-2017, 12:53 PM
Tyrod when he throws for less than 200 yards is 14-5.

Tyrod when he throws for more than 200 yards is 6-12.

I'm not even going to complain about the fact he throws for less than 200 yards in half of his games, but when we need the guy to be a quarterback we lose. It's pretty simple. That is a bad strategy in today's NFL, unless you want to go 7-9 every year. Why are people still defending this guy? We could replace Tyrod with any Trent Edwards-like QB and get pretty close to the same result. That's not how I want my QB to play. Try something new.

Trent Edwards? Really? Trent Edwards would have done better than tyrod last night?

sukie
11-03-2017, 12:55 PM
Brady knows how to get rid of the ball. They do not have a great running game but it does not matter. Brady will beat you if you stack the line to stop the run. Even when people know that the Pats will throw the ball, Brady can still impose their passing game.
Brady's weakness is a great pass rush. Tyrod had zero time. Okay almost zero and not a big skill set of quick pass options. I wonder if it would have helped spreading the field with McCoy as a WR and shotgunning it.

BillsFanCupp38
11-03-2017, 12:55 PM

Y'all are forgetting that no quarterback plays good with that much pressure in their face. Not a single one. Even Tom Brady looks pedestrian with that much pressure. That was the worse offensive line performance of the season for all 32 teams. Honestly it was that embarrassing.

Joe Fo Sho
11-03-2017, 01:50 PM
Trent Edwards? Really? Trent Edwards would have done better than tyrod last night?

I said that a 'Trent Edwards like' QB would get pretty close to the same results as Tyrod.

So yeah, I think even Trent Edwards himself could have allowed that Jets team to get a 27 point lead with 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter.

ublinkwescore
11-03-2017, 02:20 PM
We need to invest in O line. Period. Build an Oline like the Raiders had last season, sprinkle in a dt and LB for depth and continuity on defense, but by all means, BUILD that line and watch Tyrol become elite or Nathan Peterman. Makes no difference. Build that line.

Arm of Harm
11-03-2017, 03:09 PM
We need to invest in O line. Period. Build an Oline like the Raiders had last season, sprinkle in a dt and LB for depth and continuity on defense, but by all means, BUILD that line and watch Tyrol become elite or Nathan Peterman. Makes no difference. Build that line.
Obviously, the Bills need much more from our OL than what we saw against the Jets. That goes without saying.

But, you look at the Ravens of 2000. They had an outstanding OL, anchored by Jon Ogden at LT. And yet, their offense went for five consecutive games without scoring a TD. Their outstanding OL didn't turn Jeff Blake into an "elite" QB, or even a serviceable one. Trent Dilfer was okay behind that line, but never more than barely good enough to get you by.

If the Ravens of 2000's offensive line failed to turn Blake or Dilfer into "elite" QBs, a top-tier OL isn't going to turn Tyrod Taylor into an elite QB either. The same probably goes for Peterman as well. At the end of the day, the Bills need a QB, and that should be their primary focus for the upcoming draft. We also need offensive linemen, although I do expect our current group of OL to play better going forward than the train wreck we witnessed against the Jets.

coastal
11-03-2017, 03:55 PM
I think Disco Patti loves anal, doesn't mean I'm going to start a thread about it.

justasportsfan
11-03-2017, 06:44 PM
I'm not blaming the loss on TT. It was a total team meltdown. Just can't expect a game manager to bail the rest of the team out.

Novacane
11-04-2017, 12:14 AM
I think you're wrong!

feldspar
11-04-2017, 02:27 AM
Tyrod holds his own.

I don't think I've ever seen someone with as much escapability. He generally takes care of the ball and doesn't turn it over. He's a threat to run as well, but I don't think he will ever be anywhere near a great passer. Defenses will try to keep him in the pocket from here on out.

He's not the guy to play from very far behind, which is a problem.

SpikedLemonade
11-04-2017, 05:35 AM
Whether TT has improved or NOT is really irrelevant.

We already know he is NOT the type of QB or talent of a QB to lead us to become real contenders.

We are wasting time and need to move on.

The Saints pass rush is going to knock TT on his ass next week.

Wally The Barber
11-04-2017, 08:57 AM
This guy is crap, can't find his plate with a fork.

Novacane
11-04-2017, 02:26 PM

Nothing personal but that is ridiculously dumb to believe that. The best line in the league won't make him elite.

SpikedLemonade
11-05-2017, 03:36 AM
This guy is crap, can't find his plate with a fork.

Poetic!

yordad
11-05-2017, 08:59 AM
Tyrod was not the problem. He looked like our only NFL player out there. Here is a drive by drive breakdown, w video, that shows how each drive stalled.

www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/11/3/16602430/analysis-tyrod-taylor-was-not-the-problem-in-thursdays-buffalo-bills-loss-to-new-york-jets

WagonCircler
11-05-2017, 09:01 AM
I suppose that if you've been forced to eat manure for almost 20 years, and someone gives you manure with whipped cream, you might think the situation is improving.

It's really not.

BertSquirtgum
11-06-2017, 06:56 PM
I think Tyrod sucks donkey balls

Skooby
11-06-2017, 08:37 PM
Tyrod never considers throwing outside unless it’s a blown assignment
= only single defensive coverage needed outside (defense packs the middle). We have a problem.

BillsFanCupp38
11-06-2017, 10:42 PM
Tyrod never considers throwing outside unless it’s a blown assignment
= only single defensive coverage needed outside (defense packs the middle). We have a problem.

I recall last year we complained that he never threw over the middle. Now it's he never throws to the outside?

BillsFanCupp38
11-06-2017, 10:51 PM
This was on BB.com

Taylor’s terrific three-game stretch since the bye week
Bills quarterback, Tyrod Taylor, is having himself a solid season in his third year as the team’s starter. He has been playing exceptionally well the past three games, and coincidentally that’s when Buffalo came off their bye week.

Since the Bills break in Week Six they’re 2-1 and Taylor’s a big reason for that. Here’s how he fared during those games.

In Week Seven the Tampa Bay Buccaneers came to town. Taylor completed 20 of 33 passes for 268 yards and a touchdown. His passer rating was 96.5 for the game.

The Oakland Raiders visited the Bills in Week Eight. Taylor again completed 20 passes on only 27 attempts. He threw one touchdown and had a passer rating of 101.6.

Against the New York Jets in Week Nine the offense was under duress all night. Somehow Taylor was able to wiggle around enough to muster some impressive numbers. He completed a season-high 29 passes on 40 attempts for 285 yards. The Bills signal-caller tossed two touchdowns and recorded a passer rating of 108.9.

Taylor has a very respectable touchdown to interception ratio. He’s thrown 10 touchdowns to just two interceptions this season. When the quarterback takes the field this Sunday it will mark over a month since he threw an interception.

SpikedLemonade
11-07-2017, 04:49 AM
50-50 TT is able to walk off the field at the end of the game this Sunday...

Jameis Winston shut down for at least 2 weeks to rest injured shoulder

....He had taken multiple hits the past three weeks, but one particular hit before halftime Sunday, when he was sacked by Cameron Jordan (http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/13971/cameron-jordan) and Alex Okafor (http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/15976/alex-okafor), did him in."When he got hit on his left side and the weight of the defensive end and Jameis' weight fell on his right shoulder, that's when he aggravated it," Koetter said. "After that point, he was definitely hurt."....

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21317038/jameis-winston-tampa-bay-buccaneers-shut-few-weeks-rest-injured-shoulder

The Saints Defense is ugly and aggressive this year.

justasportsfan
11-07-2017, 09:31 AM
This was on BB.com

Taylor’s terrific three-game stretch since the bye week
Bills quarterback, Tyrod Taylor, is having himself a solid season in his third year as the team’s starter. He has been playing exceptionally well the past three games, and coincidentally that’s when Buffalo came off their bye week.

Since the Bills break in Week Six they’re 2-1 and Taylor’s a big reason for that. Here’s how he fared during those games.

In Week Seven the Tampa Bay Buccaneers came to town. Taylor completed 20 of 33 passes for 268 yards and a touchdown. His passer rating was 96.5 for the game.

The Oakland Raiders visited the Bills in Week Eight. Taylor again completed 20 passes on only 27 attempts. He threw one touchdown and had a passer rating of 101.6.

Against the New York Jets in Week Nine the offense was under duress all night. Somehow Taylor was able to wiggle around enough to muster some impressive numbers. He completed a season-high 29 passes on 40 attempts for 285 yards. The Bills signal-caller tossed two touchdowns and recorded a passer rating of 108.9.

Taylor has a very respectable touchdown to interception ratio. He’s thrown 10 touchdowns to just two interceptions this season. When the quarterback takes the field this Sunday it will mark over a month since he threw an interception.

this just means he's a good manager.Without a great D and a running game, Tyrods performance isn't enough.

Kenny
11-07-2017, 10:28 AM
50-50 TT is able to walk off the field at the end of the game this Sunday...

Jameis Winston shut down for at least 2 weeks to rest injured shoulder

....He had taken multiple hits the past three weeks, but one particular hit before halftime Sunday, when he was sacked by Cameron Jordan (http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/13971/cameron-jordan) and Alex Okafor (http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/15976/alex-okafor), did him in."When he got hit on his left side and the weight of the defensive end and Jameis' weight fell on his right shoulder, that's when he aggravated it," Koetter said. "After that point, he was definitely hurt."....

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21317038/jameis-winston-tampa-bay-buccaneers-shut-few-weeks-rest-injured-shoulder

The Saints Defense is ugly and aggressive this year.

Problem is Winston's delivery. Takes forever for him to throw the ball. Reminds me of Byron Leftwich.

SpikedLemonade
11-07-2017, 12:35 PM
Problem is Winston's delivery. Takes forever for him to throw the ball. Reminds me of Byron Leftwich.

True however this Saints' D is real.