PDA

View Full Version : Kelvin Benjamin, a McDermott kind of guy

Mace
11-06-2017, 12:08 PM
Via Rumblings :

Because of the quick turnaround time between Tuesday trade, the Wednesday flight, and the Thursday game, Benjamin left his home in Carolina quickly and didn’t pack much. McDermott told him to go home and pack up more stuff and get it up to Buffalo.

Benjamin said no.

...because he wanted to stay and work. Welcome to Buffalo, Mr. Benjamin.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/11/6/16612762/buffalo-bills-receiver-kelvin-benjamin-impressing-field-process-sean-mcdermott-trade-deadline

swiper
11-06-2017, 12:16 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/aMh59aKR8vjdC/giphy.gif

Night Train
11-06-2017, 12:16 PM
People making millions that want to work..

What is the world coming to ?

swiper
11-06-2017, 12:20 PM
People making millions that want to work..

What is the world coming to ?

Eli Manning should be taking notes. NYC fans all over him for dogging it.

swiper
11-06-2017, 12:54 PM
Benjamin saying the right things.

Kelvin Benjamin wasn’t surprised by trade to Bills (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/11/06/kelvin-benjamin-wasnt-surprised-by-trade-to-bills/)

YardRat
11-06-2017, 01:20 PM
Good on him, and for us, but...

Benjamin, 27, an established wideout in this league voluntarily spent his weekend working with Bills wide receiver coach Phil McGeoghan,

...is that allowed?

psubills62
11-06-2017, 02:54 PM
"What a chump." - Marcell Dareus.

Joe Fo Sho
11-06-2017, 03:20 PM

Benjamin, 27, an established wideout in this league voluntarily spent his weekend working with Bills wide receiver coach Phil McGeoghan,

...is that allowed?

If voluntarily spending time with Bills staff is against the rules, something needs to change. That would be so stupid.

YardRat
11-06-2017, 03:23 PM
If voluntarily spending time with Bills staff is against the rules, something needs to change. That would be so stupid.

Pretty sure it is against the rules, we've already discussed players putting extra time in and it's 'ok' because none of the staff are present.

Joe Fo Sho
11-06-2017, 03:30 PM
Pretty sure it is against the rules, we've already discussed players putting extra time in and it's 'ok' because none of the staff are present.

I'm not saying you're wrong, because I don't know. I'm just saying that if you're right, it doesn't seem to make much sense. Why would the CBA actively prevent players from voluntarily trying to improve?

YardRat
11-06-2017, 03:54 PM
I'm not saying you're wrong, because I don't know. I'm just saying that if you're right, it doesn't seem to make much sense. Why would the CBA actively prevent players from voluntarily trying to improve?

It doesn't really, they just can't have staff present.

Benjamin putting in OT with Tyrod, Shady and the rest of the WR's? OK. When a coach is present? Not OK. There are limits on how much practicing, and what kind, players are exposed to and the language regarding having staff present is there to protect the players from coaches that might pull 'voluntary' *wink*wink* activities over and above what is allowed.

I could be wrong, there might be some language that allows that kind of activity to account for special circumstances like in-season trades also.

Mace
11-06-2017, 04:18 PM
Benjamin saying the right things.

Kelvin Benjamin wasn’t surprised by trade to Bills (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/11/06/kelvin-benjamin-wasnt-surprised-by-trade-to-bills/)

The longer version with Rodak :

"But this is a great opportunity for me. I'm excited -- brand-new city, brand-new team. When I got here, man, they had open arms. I'm loving it. I'm excited."

However, the fourth-year wideout did not know why the Panthers traded him, saying Monday, "Who knows?" It could have been multiple reasons," Benjamin said. "Money issues. Who knows? At the end of the day, I'm here, I'm happy, I'm excited. Right now, I'm just moving forward."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21316573/kelvin-benjamin-buffalo-bills-really-surprised-trade-carolina-panthers

Mace
11-06-2017, 04:23 PM

...is that allowed?

Pretty sure the restrictions are offseason rules.

Ed
11-06-2017, 05:03 PM
I'm assuming the extra work Benjamin put in with the coaches was related to classroom stuff like learning the playbook, watching film, etc.

Putting restrictions on practice is all about limiting exposure to physical wear and tear, and injuries. I don't think the rules are intended to limit study time with coaches.

ghz in pittsburgh
11-08-2017, 08:50 AM
However, the fourth-year wideout did not know why the Panthers traded him, saying Monday, "Who knows?" It could have been multiple reasons," Benjamin said. "Money issues. Who knows? At the end of the day, I'm here, I'm happy, I'm excited. Right now, I'm just moving forward."

All along we suspected. Money issue. I don't know what he's looking for in an extension. Maybe the Panthers got some hint of numbers from his agent. And we all know the Panthers' cap issues. If the next 8 games he proves to be a capable #1 (not necessarily elite) WR with the Bills, I won't be surprised the Bills give him an extension.

sukie
11-08-2017, 09:01 AM
Money issues might not be the fact Benjamin is being unreasonable about an extension and dollars. If cap issues in Carolina are a problem, it could simply be they have a couple of Benjamins on the roster that are cheaper. It might be all about the "Benjamins" but not how we might think.

The dude is a huge target. He's a faster TE. I can't wait to see little Kiko trying to 1 on 1 him on slants.

swiper
11-08-2017, 04:28 PM
Brofessor!