PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Jones vs Roger Goodell

YardRat
11-10-2017, 06:18 AM
Who wins?

Whose side are the Pegula's on?

Who are you rooting for?

I feel dirty, but **** Roger Goodell...you go, Jerry.

Turf
11-10-2017, 07:21 AM
I think within 2 years the owners oust him. The league is crumbling on almost every level.

DraftBoy
11-10-2017, 07:25 AM
Jones is looking for the spotlight, nothing more and nothing less.

I have no desire to entertain his need to have his ego stroked.

Homegrown
11-10-2017, 02:48 PM
who cares? ...its just a Pissing match ... greed vs greed

JJ is a 75 year old billionare looking for more $'s to take to his grave
Roger is a 58 year old guy making more $'s per year than the highest paid player

this is not a disagreement about who has the best interest of game - its all about the $'s

if Jerry wins, so what? ... it Roger stays, so what?

Forward_Lateral
11-10-2017, 02:53 PM
Goddell is a moron who is ruining football.

feldspar
11-10-2017, 03:12 PM
I do not think Jerry Jones has any grounds to sue if and when Goodell gets his extension.

Sue for what?

sudzy
11-10-2017, 03:36 PM
Who wins?

Whose side are the Pegula's on?

Who are you rooting for?

I feel dirty, but **** Roger Goodell...you go, Jerry.

1) Probably Goodell
2) which ever side Robert Kraft tells him to be on.
3)Jones

Whatever it takes to get Goodell out. Even if it means rooting for Jerry Jones.

Night Train
11-10-2017, 06:50 PM
Just figure out who is responsible for the Chargers moving into an indifferent market and playing in a small soccer stadium.

What a colossal disaster.

Fire that person.

Buddo
11-11-2017, 11:40 AM
Goodall is damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't, both in respect of the concussions issues, and with personal conduct stuff, like domestic abuse.

Jones is not going to come out of this particularly well, especially if he keeps on with his idea that he's the 'senior pro', in effect. It's an obvious power play by Jones, and I doubt other long standing NFL owners, are going to let him get away with it - even if they themselves aren't too keen on Goodall.

While not a great fan of Goodall, there are other 'interested parties', who don't help things much either, notably the owners themselves, and the NFLPA. Either group of which are perfectly capable of trying to throw a spanner into the works at the drop of a hat.

Turf
11-11-2017, 12:09 PM
Lets look at Goodells Failures.

Thursday Night Football - not defendable
London Games - Sometimes aren't on TV and nobody cares and the players hate them and no one watches them. Team loses home team game as well.
Poor TV ratings.
See the Chargers home stadium.
Boring unwatchable games, which contributes to the youth losing interest. Poor TV coverage.
TV revenues are going to take a hit and I predict salary caps will go down, at which time the fall guy will be Roger, and why at that point should he care, he's a multi millionaire anyways.

kgun12
11-11-2017, 12:31 PM

London Games - Sometimes aren't on TV and nobody cares and the players hate them and no one watches them. Team loses home team game as well.
Poor TV ratings.
Boring unwatchable games, which contributes to the youth losing interest. Poor TV coverage.
TV revenues are going to take a hit and I predict salary caps will go down, at which time the fall guy will be Roger, and why at that point should he care, he's a multi millionaire anyways.

Don't forget:

The whole concussion mess, if the NFL really cared all players would be required to wear mouth guards and the helmet wouldn't be the weapon it is, false sense of security. Rather than protect it causes more head neck and back injuries.
Backing the players taking a knee
Blackmailing state on how the should vote or loose the Super Bowl,, screw Goodell an A one loser, destroyer of the NFL

Turf
11-11-2017, 12:44 PM
I forgot the NFL trying to be a religion and sticking its nose into every day politics.
People watch football as an escape not to debate about lawsuits and social issues. This is where the NFL has really missed it. When we turn on a NFL pre game show there's always a social political element about society. That's not why I watch football. If want to watch that **** I'll watch regular news, Fox, or 60 minutes.

feldspar
11-11-2017, 05:53 PM
I forgot the NFL trying to be a religion and sticking its nose into every day politics.
People watch football as an escape not to debate about lawsuits and social issues. This is where the NFL has really missed it. When we turn on a NFL pre game show there's always a social political element about society. That's not why I watch football. If want to watch that **** I'll watch regular news, Fox, or 60 minutes.

I agree with this totally.

but how exactly is Roger Goodell going to stop those things from happening? The whole kneeling thing..what could any commissioner step in and do about that? If that's what we are talking about...lots of other issues as well, though, too.

Wonder how much of this Jerry Jones fit has to do wth the ezekiel elliott looming suspension...

Not like the owners haven't seen tons more money under Goodell's watch. I don't particularly like Goodell or Jones. I would not take sides in that, hoping one would win. If there were to be a better commissioner available to replace Goodell, then I would be all for that. Don't know who this person would be, do you? Honest question.

That is not an easy job, I would think...especially these days.

The games themselves aren't as interesting as they used to be for me recently...too much red-tape, static, interference, officiating, andinterruptions.

swiper
11-11-2017, 05:58 PM
Just figure out who is responsible for the Chargers moving into an indifferent market and playing in a small soccer stadium.

What a colossal disaster.

Fire that person.

Wasn't that the Charger's owner that wanted that move?

swiper
11-11-2017, 06:00 PM
Goodall is damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't, both in respect of the concussions issues, and with personal conduct stuff, like domestic abuse.

Jones is not going to come out of this particularly well, especially if he keeps on with his idea that he's the 'senior pro', in effect. It's an obvious power play by Jones, and I doubt other long standing NFL owners, are going to let him get away with it - even if they themselves aren't too keen on Goodall.

While not a great fan of Goodall, there are other 'interested parties', who don't help things much either, notably the owners themselves, and the NFLPA. Either group of which are perfectly capable of trying to throw a spanner into the works at the drop of a hat.

I agree with this.

swiper
11-11-2017, 06:01 PM

Poor TV ratings.

Those aren't Goodell's failures. Those are the owners failures. LOL. Wake up.

And it was the owners who all agreed to pay him what he's getting.

swiper
11-11-2017, 06:03 PM

Well then you're stupid (which we already knew). Goodell has nothing to do with the players kneeling. He governs it the way the owners tell him too. There is a rule on the books disallowing it, but he's been told not to enforce it (because it will make the owners look bad to the fans). Yet he enforces the rule that the players cannot wear anything not NFL approved.

Novacane
11-11-2017, 06:50 PM
Jones is looking for the spotlight, nothing more and nothing less.

I have no desire to entertain his need to have his ego stroked.

Or he just really doesn't like Goodell.

The Beef
11-11-2017, 07:32 PM
Jerry is a scumbag, but he's a business owner and Goodell has not been good for business the last years.

He's tone deaf, fans, media and players hate him.

He managed to mishandled Ray Rice and somehow almost every domestic assault case there after.

Thursday night games have to go.

The players need to make concessions too. They need to make up that TV revenue the league would lose on Thursday nights.

18 game season, 2 bye weeks. Cut the pre-season to 2 or 3 games.

CTE/Concussions they have to acknowledge it. Maybe it bankrupts the league. IDK increase player pension and health benefits once they retire. Go back retroactively to all these guys who have ****ing oatmeal for brains left and throw them some coin and setup an NFL sponsored facility where these guys can get treated, like the Mayo clinic for NFL vets. Have the owner's and networks pay for it, figure something out. Take a percentage of tickets and mercy out of it.

Player's aren't 100% in the right for claiming CTE too. Especially anyone still opting to play the last 5-10 years. Anyone who has ever played and had their bell rung or had a concussion had to know or assume it can't be good for you, especially long term. Intents nausea/committing, headaches for days or weeks all the other **** that can happen. You can't tell me if you've had a concussion you didn't think to yourself "probably need to avoid that all costs whenever possible".

Turf
11-11-2017, 07:57 PM
As far as concussions go, the players must simply acknowledge the risks and sign a consent form they are aware of it. I don't see boxers filing for brain damage or concussion related items. They obviously know the risks. Make football players aware of the risks and be transparent. If no one wants to accept those risks, then can play flag football for 2% of what they make now. Pretty simple if you ask me.

Arm of Harm
11-11-2017, 08:08 PM

but how exactly is Roger Goodell going to stop those things from happening? The whole kneeling thing..what could any commissioner step in and do about that? If that's what we are talking about...lots of other issues as well, though, too.

Wonder how much of this Jerry Jones fit has to do wth the ezekiel elliott looming suspension...

Not like the owners haven't seen tons more money under Goodell's watch. I don't particularly like Goodell or Jones. I would not take sides in that, hoping one would win. If there were to be a better commissioner available to replace Goodell, then I would be all for that. Don't know who this person would be, do you? Honest question.

That is not an easy job, I would think...especially these days.

The games themselves aren't as interesting as they used to be for me recently...too much red-tape, static, interference, officiating, andinterruptions.

How would I compare the job Roger Goodell has done, to the job his recent predecessors did? I'd say Goodell's work has been considerably worse. In fact I'd say it has been shortsighted.

The NFL has a rich tradition. The commissioner and the owners are supposed to honor, respect, and nurture that tradition. Sure, they're also supposed to make money.

So now along comes a commissioner who loses sight of this. Who does the easy thing instead of the right thing. Watching a football game today is much less enjoyable than it had been back in the '90s. The quality of the NFL's product has deteriorated under Goodell's stewardship. But, for a time, the owners were willing to overlook that because the money was rolling in. But now that money is starting to dry up. Fans are fed up with the low quality of the NFL's product. A large subset of the fans are also displeased with the NFL's decision to abandon political neutrality.

There was a time when Elvis was thinking of getting into politics. His agent said to him, "Listen. Even if 60% of people agree with you and your positions, you're still going to be making 40% of your fans unhappy. Better to stay out of it, so that you can continue to appeal to all 100%." That's sound advice not just for Elvis only, but for anyone who wishes to be in the entertainment industry. Including the NFL.

Hopefully, a new commissioner would fix Roger Goodell's mistakes. To do so, he'd need to greatly improve the quality of the NFL's product, while also eliminating the NFL's involvement in political issues.

kgun12
11-11-2017, 10:00 PM
Well then you're stupid (which we already knew). Goodell has nothing to do with the players kneeling. He governs it the way the owners tell him too. There is a rule on the books disallowing it, but he's been told not to enforce it (because it will make the owners look bad to the fans). Yet he enforces the rule that the players cannot wear anything not NFL approved.

Bullcrap, the league rules state you will stand for the anthem, helmet under left arm, right hand to your side or over your heart. after the first time CK knelt he should have called him to the league office and read him the riot act, end of protest! Problem is Goodell doesn't have the balls to do that.

I've said it before, if these players and people on this board REALLY wanted to change things, they would be in the community, police stations and schools trying to make a real difference, but they don't because that would take a REAL commitment.

YardRat
11-11-2017, 10:08 PM
I've said it before, if these players and people on this board REALLY wanted to change things, they would be in the community, police stations and schools trying to make a real difference, but they don't because that would take a REAL commitment.

Pretty sure some have, and still do.

feldspar
11-11-2017, 10:20 PM
How would I compare the job Roger Goodell has done, to the job his recent predecessors did? I'd say Goodell's work has been considerably worse. In fact I'd say it has been shortsighted.

The NFL has a rich tradition. The commissioner and the owners are supposed to honor, respect, and nurture that tradition. Sure, they're also supposed to make money.

So now along comes a commissioner who loses sight of this. Who does the easy thing instead of the right thing. Watching a football game today is much less enjoyable than it had been back in the '90s. The quality of the NFL's product has deteriorated under Goodell's stewardship. But, for a time, the owners were willing to overlook that because the money was rolling in. But now that money is starting to dry up. Fans are fed up with the low quality of the NFL's product. A large subset of the fans are also displeased with the NFL's decision to abandon political neutrality.

There was a time when Elvis was thinking of getting into politics. His agent said to him, "Listen. Even if 60% of people agree with you and your positions, you're still going to be making 40% of your fans unhappy. Better to stay out of it, so that you can continue to appeal to all 100%." That's sound advice not just for Elvis only, but for anyone who wishes to be in the entertainment industry. Including the NFL.

Hopefully, a new commissioner would fix Roger Goodell's mistakes. To do so, he'd need to greatly improve the quality of the NFL's product, while also eliminating the NFL's involvement in political issues.

Ah, could be just the sign of the times as to what the culture is now...not just in the NFL, but everywhere. Life in gerneral isn't what it used to be. The screws are tightening, aren't they?

Lots of pussies want to cry in their sleeves at the drop of a hat. Put you in a box over very little. They'll get what they get, and perhaps what they deserve...but probably not what they're looking for, if that makes sense...

What is another commissioner going to do to significantly improve the league...only question. Will he be demonized too, like our current good buddy?

Makes little difference to me who the commissioner is, like I said. Fire him or not, and I'll sleep the same. Just don't really think they will.

kgun12
11-11-2017, 10:26 PM
Pretty sure some have, and still do.

Not many of the youngest players, they are too busy bucking the system and complaining about it.

Anyway, name the young players trying to make a difference in their communities, and/or local schools.

YardRat
11-11-2017, 10:29 PM
Not many of the youngest players, they are too busy bucking the system and complaining about it.
Anyway, name the young players trying to make a difference in their communities, and/or local schools.

Well, I was referring to the people on this board, but as far as players it certainly isn't unusual to see many of them in schools, hospitals, etc in the WNY community, and I doubt it's any different in any other market.

kgun12
11-12-2017, 01:27 AM
Well, I was referring to the people on this board, but as far as players it certainly isn't unusual to see many of them in schools, hospitals, etc in the WNY community, and I doubt it's any different in any other market.

Are they talking about unity, better understanding between races, how to stop oppression and tolerance, are they working with the police? After all this is the suppose to be the reason for the kneeling in the first place and being treat like slaves to the NFL.

GregclubSTH
11-12-2017, 03:12 AM
Are they talking about unity, better understanding between races, how to stop oppression and tolerance, are they working with the police? After all this is the suppose to be the reason for the kneeling in the first place and being treat like slaves to the NFL.

in this link...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2017/9/29/16375378/nfl-players-charity-donations-jj-watt-hurricane-harvey-patrick-peterson-foundation

this is stated- After he first kneeled for the anthem on Sept. 8, 2016, Marshall met with Denver police chief Robert White in what began an ongoing dialogue between urban communities around Denver and the local police. He also pledged to donate $300 for every tackle last season to local organizations committed to addressing “critical social issues.”

Thomas was clearly the leader in trying to organize efforts to collect donations to send to his native Houston for Hurricane Harvey relief. He has been involved with the First Step Program, a program designed to link local area kids with community leaders. He has worked with the Broward County Sheriff’s Office to conduct a ride along and work on the relationship between the police and the community. He has worked with the Big Brothers and Big Sisters of Miami. He has worked with Food for the Hungry.

swiper
11-12-2017, 06:28 AM
Bullcrap, the league rules state you will stand for the anthem, helmet under left arm, right hand to your side or over your heart.

I said there was a rule on the books disallowing the kneeling. You just agreed with that.

feldspar
11-12-2017, 08:40 AM

Read what agreed with again, genius.

Then **** off.

swiper
11-12-2017, 06:06 PM
This article explains all the details of Jones' wanting to "overthrow" Goodell: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/%E2%80%98jerry-wants-to-overthrow-goodell%E2%80%99/ar-BBESuAa?OCID=ansmsnnews11