PDA

View Full Version : Big Mistake

Mahdi
11-12-2017, 03:06 PM
Trading Dareus at this point in the season when we had a top 10 run D was not smart.

They could have gotten similar compensation after the season or during the draft.

Our DTs are not prepared to handle the role he was filling on the DL.

sahlensguy
11-12-2017, 03:12 PM
Trading Dareus at this point in the season when we had a top 10 run D was not smart.

They could have gotten similar compensation after the season or during the draft.

Our DTs are not prepared to handle the role he was filling on the DL.

Yeah, not sure what the rush (no pun intended) was.

Novacane
11-12-2017, 03:13 PM
Not a mistake. He wasn't going to make a difference in 2 blow outs.

- - - Updated - - -

sahlensguy
11-12-2017, 03:17 PM

- - - Updated - - -

And in the remaining seven games?

I get the trade now if OBD didn't think we were going to make the playoffs anyway. But why then also trade other assets for Benjamin?

We just gave this asset away. Why?

Mahdi
11-12-2017, 03:18 PM

- - - Updated - - -

I think he would have made a huge difference in both games. Both teams were running dive and belly the whole game for big yards.

That can change everything in a game.

Novacane
11-12-2017, 03:20 PM
I think he would have made a huge difference in both games. Both teams were running dive and belly the whole game for big yards.

That can change everything in a game.

A single defensive player is not changing the outcome of 30 point defeats.

kscdogbillsfan1221
11-12-2017, 03:36 PM
well, personally I think Tyrod should have played better defense today too, especially against the run.

in all seriousness, everybody sucked ass today. God that was awful.

actually, I didn't watch the fourth quarter. Still don't know the final score and don't want to. lol

YardRat
11-12-2017, 05:27 PM
Huge mistake by the new guys, the biggest so far IMO.

They made a rookie mistake...they started to believe their own hype, and media hype. The good start gave them a false sense that they had a Midas touch regarding roster moves and felt infallible, so they pulled the trigger on a guy that probably wasn't falling in line as quickly as they'd like but was an integral part of their early success. The 'but...but...he only played 45% of downs' is an ignorant rationalization. If he's a main force in stuffing the run on early downs and that's helping to lead to turnovers and wins, he doesn't have to play 100% of the plays.

Coaching only goes so far (and I'm a big believer in it being a difference-maker), you still need talent.

Don't kid yourself either with the 'he's only one guy' excuse. The difference between winning and losing is a fine line...inches...small plays that add up over time. When 1-2 yard runs on first down consistently become 4-5 yard runs (or more) that's significant enough to have a dramatic impact on a game, and eventually a season. Leads to more first downs, more points, longer drives, more time on the field for the defense, etc etc.

The bottom line is this crew fubared this season when they traded Dareus and 'Well we didn't expect much anyway' doesn't mean ****. A team needs to be able to take advantage of opportunity when it presents itself...which it did this season...and their cockiness pissed it away more than anything.

Hopefully they are man enough at some point to acknowledge and learn from their mistakes...especially this one.

sahlensguy
11-12-2017, 05:31 PM

They made a rookie mistake...they started to believe their own hype, and media hype. The good start gave them a false sense that they had a Midas touch regarding roster moves and felt infallible, so they pulled the trigger on a guy that probably wasn't falling in line as quickly as they'd like but was an integral part of their early success. The 'but...but...he only played 45% of downs' is an ignorant rationalization. If he's a main force in stuffing the run on early downs and that's helping to lead to turnovers and wins, he doesn't have to play 100% of the plays.

Coaching only goes so far (and I'm a big believer in it being a difference-maker), you still need talent.

Don't kid yourself either with the 'he's only one guy' excuse. The difference between winning and losing is a fine line...inches...small plays that add up over time. When 1-2 yard runs on first down consistently become 4-5 yard runs (or more) that's significant enough to have a dramatic impact on a game, and eventually a season. Leads to more first downs, more points, longer drives, more time on the field for the defense, etc etc.

The bottom line is this crew fubared this season when they traded Dareus and 'Well we didn't expect much anyway' doesn't mean ****. A team needs to be able to take advantage of opportunity when it presents itself...which it did this season...and their cockiness pissed it away more than anything.

Hopefully they are man enough at some point to acknowledge and learn from their mistakes...especially this one.

That was one mistake.

Then they threw good money after bad.

Tossed Dareus to the side and then aquired KB as if we were then in a win-now mode.

DraftBoy
11-12-2017, 05:55 PM
That was one mistake.

Then they threw good money after bad.

Tossed Dareus to the side and then aquired KB as if we were then in a win-now mode.

Not sure I'd be critical of the KB move right now. He's still on a rookie contract and is a guy who could realistically be here for 5-7 years.

justasportsfan
11-12-2017, 05:59 PM
Not sure I'd be critical of the KB move right now. He's still on a rookie contract and is a guy who could realistically be here for 5-7 years.if I were to guess, KB will be re signed but not Mathews.

sahlensguy
11-12-2017, 06:05 PM
Not sure I'd be critical of the KB move right now. He's still on a rookie contract and is a guy who could realistically be here for 5-7 years.

I wasn't critical against either the KB or Dareus moves per se. Together though they make no sense. Either we are rebuilding or we playing for a playoff spot. Each of these moves are for a different goal. OBD doesn't know what they want.

Albany,n.y.
11-12-2017, 06:14 PM
And in the remaining seven games?

I get the trade now if OBD didn't think we were going to make the playoffs anyway. But why then also trade other assets for Benjamin?

We just gave this asset away. Why?
They saved millions of $ in real money. Sometimes people get so caught up in cap $, they forget that trading a player gets rid of the dollars the team is paying him.

sahlensguy
11-12-2017, 06:32 PM
They saved millions of $ in real money. Sometimes people get so caught up in cap $, they forget that trading a player gets rid of the dollars the team is paying him.

Ok so Pegula saves some coin and we plan for the future to boot. Fair enough. Turning around and giving up picks for the short term benefit of KB does not sync with the Dareus move though.

Homegrown
11-12-2017, 07:08 PM
Getting rid of Dareus the way the Bills did was ridulous b/c:

A) there's no one the roster to replace him
B) they got zero value in return
C) they traded to a team that is in the AFC wild card race

Bunch of amateurs

Arm of Harm
11-12-2017, 07:31 PM

I'd argue this could actually turn out to be a good move.

Dareus was overpaid, and next season will be his ninth year in the league. There were also questions about whether he bought into the program, and his off-field issues.

So you get a guy like that off the roster, for purely nominal compensation. Now you're freeing up salary cap space for use on other players down the road. Not only that, but as you pointed out yourself, this could adversely affect the Bills' record this season. That could be a good thing, depending on how we use the resulting improvement in our draft position.

Any time you're rebuilding a football team, the absolute, #1 priority has to be getting the answer at quarterback. This Bills team is no exception to that rule. If we lose a couple extra games this season due to the departure of Dareus, and if we use the resulting improvement in our draft position to take a quarterback--the right quarterback!--then that's solid. That's a foundation. You can build on that, especially if you sprinkle in some other good players in the upcoming draft.

I could imagine us tanking the rest of this season, having an up and down year next year with our new quarterback, and being a pretty good team/team on the rise in year 3 of McDermott.

Klaista2k
11-12-2017, 10:34 PM
I know it's going to sound like an overreaction but I think Beane should be fired for this trade.

We were on the verge of finally making the playoffs and breaking the drought then we trade Dareus for essentially nothing... It's just absolutely ridiculous.

Someone needs to be held accountable. Beane obviously isn't a competent GM.