X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TypicalBill
    • Sep 2002

wanna get fired up? read this!

Saturday's scrimmage was by no means just the first test. The Bills' front four dominated. The Browns would have had an easier time moving mountains than Adams and Pat Williams, the two behemoths protecting Fletcher in the middle. If anything, they were creating holes for him. He stuffed Browns running back William Green three times in the first 13 plays.

"If I met somebody, it was in their backfield," Fletcher said. "Sometimes, I had to go search out the contact. It wasn't like the past year where I was taking one step and had a guard, center or tackle in my face.

"When you have a guy of Sam Adams' caliber who is 340 (pounds), a Pro Bowl player, he's been on Super Bowl defenses, you know the offense has to respect him. They're not going to be able to single-block him. They're not going to be able to single-block Pat. They're not going to be able to single-block myself or Takeo. They're going to have to pick their poison."

If Saturday was an indication, it could be a long season for opposing offenses. Williams, for one, thinks Buffalo's defense could be better than any in recent memory, including the 1999 unit that was No. 1 in the league. Combine that with the Bills' offense, and it's hard to ignore the possibilities.

Consider, in the first three series, which included mostly second- and third-teamers for the latter two, the Bills recorded three sacks. Eight times they either dropped the Browns for losses or allowed no gain. They forced two fumbles on back-to-back plays in the second series alone.

Aaron Schobel drew a holding penalty on the fourth play from scrimmage. Ryan Denney played both defensive end spots and recorded two sacks.

"We're not even fined-tuned yet," Williams said. "Once we get fine-tuned everybody is in trouble. People aren't going to be like, "Yeah, we got the Bills coming.' It's going to be like, "Shoot, man, we got the Bills coming to town.' They should all look out. We feel like we're going to control the whole game. Everybody's excited."

THE FULL ARTICLE!!!

HECK YEAH!!!!!!!!!
    For the latest Bills news, visit the front page www.billszone.com
  • MDFINFAN
    • Jun 2003

Good report, I'm looking forward to Sept. 21..should be a good game if both team continue to look good.

Reach for the stars

Comment

• TypicalBill
      • Sep 2002

yup, likewise MD

its not the scrimmage itself thats exciting me, cuz it doesn't mean much.. but the way the 1st team jelled so well so quick.. its not easy when you've got 4 new starters on the defensive side to jell quickly but the final 2 preseason games will give us a better idea of where we're at.

How did you guys do? (in your scrimmage)

Comment

• MDFINFAN
        • Jun 2003

We pretty much beat the titians to submission, but like you, it was a scrimage, both teams very vanilla, because we play each other this year. But our WR's were impressive and no INT's by any QB, that's a very good start, I was looking mostly at our backups, that's where we've been lacking, and right now, I'm impress, Tenn. isn't a sloush, and to see us do so well against them makes me feel better, especially about our D..I was a little disappointed in them last year.

Reach for the stars

Comment

• TypicalBill
          • Sep 2002

this is gonna be one heck of a year ... AFCE is stacked!

Comment

• don137
            • Jul 2002

I agree with both you MD and TB. The AFCE is stacked and the matchup on Sept.21 should be great as long as both teams are healthy. I don't won't to see either team blame injuries for the loss. That is a lame excuse. You win or lose as a team and can't blame one player why a team lost.

Comment

• Winfield_26
              Administrator
              • Jul 2002

As always, it is the best division in football. I see the Phins-Bills games as big games in deciding the division. Im sorry but the Jets and Patsies seem to be headed the wrong way. Bills should matchup well this year vs. the Dolphins WR, and Ricky will definetly have a tougher time on the ground. I am surprised by the Phins reactions to addition of Seau, Ive heard alot of good things about him, but his play inSD the last few years has been below par from him, and many other NFL fans question the move. What are you guys seeing in camp.
              COMING SOON...
              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• ublinkwescore
                Sab and TD are insignificant
                • Sep 2002

I'm not worried one bit about the Dolphins - I honestly, sincerely truely feel we will sweep them. I would say more about the rest of the AFC East opposition that we have to face, but I don't wanna jinx us.

Let's just say that I can't wait for Sept. 7th or whenever the first game of the season is.
                www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

• DolphinDevil28
                  Veteran Zoner
                  • Jul 2003

ublink, It's kind of ignorant to say you "sincerely believe" you'll sweep us. Especially if you are basing your prediction on last year. Yes, the Bills got better, but so did the Fins and are the most talented team in the division. Besides, you won't be so lucky to have Lucas throw you all those interceptions this time.

The Fins will win the September 21 primetime game, while the Bills will probably win the December game.

Comment

• Wys Guy
                    Drew and Sam stole all my hair
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ublinkwescore
                    Let's just say that I can't wait for Sept. 7th or whenever the first game of the season is.
                    Indeed! Our D actually played very well v. the Pats in game two last season. It's gonna be incredible how well we play this year.

Originally posted by DolphinDevil28
                    ublink, It's kind of ignorant to say you "sincerely believe" you'll sweep us. Especially if you are basing your prediction on last year. Yes, the Bills got better, but so did the Fins and are the most talented team in the division. Besides, you won't be so lucky to have Lucas throw you all those interceptions this time.

The Fins will win the September 21 primetime game, while the Bills will probably win the December game.

Yes, both teams improved. BUT, we were only a game apart last year and while you guys have improved only marginally, we've "made a leap!" So IMO we'll easily have improved the most. We also have the psychological edge v. you guys.

I wouldn't say that Fins are the most talented at all. I think the Bills and Fins are very, very close. N.E. has no real talent on O to speak of. Jets are good, but IMO not great and won't be much better than .500 again.

Bills and Fins match up much better defensively, but on O, the Bills clearly have the edge! Moulds, Reed, Henry, Moore is clearly better than Chambers (who in spite of all the rhetoric over the last two years hasn't done jack), McKnight, RW, and McMichael who started off w/ a bang but then disappeared.

As to QBs, who knows. I don't like Drew's untimely TOs, but Fiedler ain't no Favre himself.

Either way, to say that the teams are evenly matched overall is one thing. But to say that "Fins are the most talented team in the division" categorically and definitively is remiss!

I'll give ya this, the division title may very well come down to the series or points or other tiebreakers in the two games.
                    Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Wys Guy
                      Drew and Sam stole all my hair
                      • Jul 2002

As well, I'm also not overrating a scrimmage against offensively challenged Cleveland as the tell-tale indicator of our offensive success this year.

I'll be happy when we put up 31 against a good N.E. defense w/o much help from the D.
                      Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• cordog
                        eat, drink, and be merry
                        • Apr 2003

Theres no sense in talking about the Phins-Bills game now, because we arent there yet. We have 2 games before that game. Who knows where either team will be by that time. I will save my prediction until that week.

Comment

• venis2k1
                          Youboty can hope
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Wys Guy

As to QBs, who knows. I don't like Drew's untimely TOs, but Fiedler ain't no Favre himself.
                          Drew is one of the most "Talented" QBs in the league(not saying he is one of the best(lets not start that again), just most talented) He was a #1 pick for a reason.

The dictionary defines talent as :

"Natural endowment or ability of a superior quality"

so as for forcing TOs wouldnt count against as talent, Arm Str and Accuracy would be Talent for a QB. You cant even compare Bledsoe and Fiedler.

Ryan Leif was very Talented too, that didnt get him very far.

Comment

• DolphinDevil28
                            Veteran Zoner
                            • Jul 2003

Wys guy, the Bills may have made more "big name" additions, but that doesn't mean they'll be more improved over the Fins this upcoming year. The Dolphins didn't play anywhere near their potential last year. And that was largely due to Jay Fiedler going out for 7 weeks. They would have easily won the east and been in the playoffs if Fiedler would have stayed healthy. Jay is looking better than ever, and hopefully will stay healthy the whole year.

While I will concede the offensive matchup to the Bills, please, be serious yourself. Don't compare the Fins defense to the Bill's. The Dolphins have a top 3 defense in the league, not just the AFC east.

...BTW, don't take my word for it, look at what everyone around the nation is saying about the Dolphin's talent. It is second to none. This doesn't mean they will automatically beat the Bills, but they are definitely the most talented team in the division.

Comment

• TypicalBill
                              • Sep 2002

nobody is better than the other right now... if you ask a Fin, he'll say they're better... if you ask a Bill, he'll say they're better. Nothing should be taken for granted cuz all the teams have improved (except for the Jets). We will see what translates on the field.

i really look forward to beating you guys in september (hence, i didn't mention december cuz we know whats gonna happen )

Comment

Working...
                              X