PDA

View Full Version : Peerless Price

LtBillsFan66
09-16-2002, 08:18 AM
It's about time you folks start giving him credit. I've always liked him.

How about all you Peerless nay sayers... Like him yet?

Earthquake Enyart
09-16-2002, 08:19 AM
Contract year.

LtBillsFan66
09-16-2002, 08:22 AM
So you are saying he is playing the way he is just because he is in a contract year. How pathetic a comment.

What about last year?

Earthquake Enyart
09-16-2002, 08:26 AM
The contract year, Josh Reed, and a good QB are all factors. Only Peerless can say which has the most weight.

Novacane
09-16-2002, 12:30 PM
He keeps playing like this he is gonna cost us an arm and a leg to resign next season.

Buffarama
09-16-2002, 12:33 PM
It Drew Bledsoe and Gilbride, giving the entire receiving core a reason to believe. Last year, we could barely complete a pass to a WR, or even attempt to go down field. This year, the WR's are getting 5-10 catches each per game. Huge difference. Nothing to do with his contract.

BBillsFan
09-16-2002, 12:36 PM
Guys always play better in contract years, it's not to spite Peerless at all. As long as he holds on to the ball I've always thought he was one of the better #2 WR's in the league.

JefftheBillsfan
09-16-2002, 02:35 PM
you can't get too excited with price....he still may disapear late in the year like he does way to much. i do think that he is playing motivated, both by drew...and a contract, and he his play won't decline. i think like moulds, he gets bored when he is ignored, but when in the game, he is a very legit #2 if not a #1 WR.

about wheather he will resign with us....i was thinking. i think this offseason, we will be the most ideal place for FA. we have the young talent to compete now, and we will have a lot of $$$. I am forseeing a 2/3 year dynasty!

don137
09-16-2002, 02:50 PM
No one denied that Peerless has talent. I think he likes to showboat a little too much and he has fumbled too many key times in his past. Like Marv Levy said to his players when they scored a TD, "act like you have been there before and will be there many more times in the future" or something like that. He also doesn't like to get tackled. He always jabs to defensive players after they tackle him hard. He just gives the defense more motivation to hit him harder. I am not trying to hard on Price because he had a great game.
I am not trying to knock on Peerless after yesterday's loss because he was awesome. I think he has gotten better every year in the league but I will not say he is the second coming of Andre Reed.

Earthquake Enyart
09-16-2002, 02:54 PM
I wish when he signals first down, someone would knock him on his ass.

LtBillsFan66
09-16-2002, 02:57 PM
I'm in no way saying he is great or the second coming of Reed. I just think a little respect is in order.

I post to every Bills board. One in particular has posters saying that he is a wuss (even harsher words than that were used). I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would hate the guy.

WG
09-16-2002, 03:03 PM
I don't think anyone hates the guy. But let's face it, in three years of play prior to this one, he's had only 5-100 yard games w/ 1 TD in each of them, and he hasnt' done much else otherwise, scoring only 8 TDs in the other 43 games.

Also, I can understand the excitement, but let's get real. After us, the Vikes and Jets are the #31 and #30 Ds in the league. We will not have the luxury of playing such cruddy Ds each week, nor are we going to put up almost 500 passing yards each week. If Gilbride doesn't learn how to run some sweeps, or change things up when the status quo isn't working, it's gonna be disasterous at some point. Beginning next week vs. Denver I'm guessing.

We're not gonna have the same level of success vs. them as we did v. the Vikes this week. Let's see how Price does next week, eh! Henry too.

northernbillfan
09-16-2002, 03:03 PM
I have always been a supporter of Price.

IMO, he can be the #1 guy, when Moulds gets too bored. Reed as #2.

I agree on the dynasty as well. We should be solid for a couple of years.

Earthquake Enyart
09-16-2002, 03:05 PM
Wys, maybe we had something to do with making the Jets and Vikes 30th and 31st.

LtBillsFan66
09-16-2002, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
I don't think anyone hates the guy.

Check out stadiumwall... Hatred is an understatement.

Like I said a few times. I’m not saying he is great, just should get more respect. That’s all.

Cntrygal
09-18-2002, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by BBillsFan
Guys always play better in contract years, it's not to spite Peerless at all. As long as he holds on to the ball I've always thought he was one of the better #2 WR's in the league.

Welcome to the zone! :)

MissBuffalo
09-18-2002, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by EarthquakeEnyart
maybe we had something to do with making the Jets and Vikes 30th and 31st.

Excellent point!!!!!! Maybe you need a question mark after that??? LOL!!!!!!:gobills:

Bert102176
09-19-2002, 05:51 PM
I've always liked Peerless I have the Sports Illistrated issue of him on the cover when he was a Volunteer

THATHURMANATOR
09-19-2002, 06:17 PM
He is definitly earning more of my respect so far this season.

Drewpac
09-19-2002, 06:22 PM
Hey, he's the #1 receiver in the NFL. What more is there to say? Keep it up Peerless!

lordofgun
09-19-2002, 06:52 PM
I never hated him. I do think he has underachieved in the past, but it's not entirely his fault.

Creemoredrinker
09-19-2002, 08:53 PM
My kids just don't get it, but I call Peerless Price "Fearless Freak". Does anyone remember the Bugs Bunny episode with Y. Sam?

In any event I digress. Peerless disappointed me last year and the year before with his lack of effort including going up to fight for the ball when it was thrown in his direction, stupid after the catch fumbles, etc.

This year he looks like a world beater and given his very healthy ego, he believes he is an # 1 receiver somewhere in this league. As such, I do NOT expect he will be with us next year.:shout:

casdhf
09-19-2002, 09:16 PM
He's a pansy. Although, anyone who will celebrate after a 4 yard reception is ok by me

WG
09-19-2002, 09:24 PM
Let's see where he stands after 8 weeks! Everyone is so quick to pencil in guys for the Hall, the Pro-bowl, MVP honors, etc. after two performances against poor Ds in which we simply had to put the ball up a zillion times.

But let's get real here, of Price's 185 yards receiving, 71 and 1 TD were in OT. Ie., if the game ends in regulation, he doesn't have a killer day.

In any case, Price has 265 yards now. How many do you Price guys think he's gonna have at year's end? 2,000 or what?

I'll say 1,200. If that happens, he'll average less than 55 yards per game from here on out. My guess, is that just like last year, he'll put up 3 or 4 big games and then virtually disappear for the rest.

We'll see. But he is off to a raging start. I do hope he keeps it up. I just don't want to end up paying premier bucks for a guy who's gonna revert back to what he's been prior to this year.

casdhf
09-19-2002, 09:26 PM
Then there are others that are too quick to dismiss someone as overrated :rolleyes:

timfromjersey
09-19-2002, 11:19 PM
Wys,

I didn't know you were kickin in for Price's salary.

I have a $20 in my wallet. Will that help a little?

justasportsfan
09-19-2002, 11:51 PM
Let's see where he stands after 8 weeks! Everyone is so quick to pencil in guys for the Hall, the Pro-bowl, MVP honors, etc. after two performances against poor Ds in which we simply had to put the ball up a zillion times.

I hear ya wys. They remind me of those Johnsonites who said Rob was going to the probowl.....:D just playin.

WG
09-20-2002, 11:13 AM
tfj, LOL

just, just wait 'til I see ya in Miami... :D

cas,

"Then there are others that are too quick to dismiss someone as overrated"

As I see it, he is what he is until he has an entire season to prove otherwise. So far, based on the past 3 years, he's put up 5 x 100 yard games and done little else, and virtually disappeared in most other games. So I guess if that's stellar to you, and worth putting up big bucks, I don't have an answer other than to say that I expect a bit more from guys drawing a huge salary. R. Brown has shown us why there.

Why do you insist that everyone pencil in Price as a superstar before he has the year? I mean he's beaten no great corners/D this year so far. Minnesota sure doesn't have any of them!

And let's suppose he ends up w/ less than 1,200 yards this year; his average will be even less than 65 ypg. Three more big games say of 150 each (likely against two other Ds w/o great CBs), and that will mean that 1,200 yards would translate to about 45 ypg. 1,000 would mean less than 30 ypg.

I'll admit he's playing better than I had expected, but we haven't played anyone yet either and we've been forced to throw vs. Minnesota w/ guys like Moulds and Reed drawing the coverage for him too. If we're gonna sign Price for big bucks, I'd much prefer him to have 40-80 yards each and every week instead of 4 or 5 huge games, w/ disappearances in many games exactly as he's demonstrated in the three years prior to this season.

Moulds is still the main man here, and I suspect that Reed will become the second favorite target of Drew at some point as well, although, he's a Troy Brown type who Drew didn't seem to click with for years.

But we'll see. How about waiting for Price to emerge first before penciling him in as a superstar. Let's see how he does this week. Let's see if he can get open quickly while Drew has time to throw. I think the pressure on Drew this week, from Denver's DL that is, is gonna be enormous. Rhodes knows what he's doing, and they also know that 90% of our team is our passing game. They're not stupid. Price will need to get open, and get open quickly. If he can't do that, then perhaps we should reserve judgement until more games are played. Surely, if he plays at his present pace he'll have well over 2,000 receiving yards.

Call me naive, but I simply don't see that happening.

I think this week's game is gonna be an eye-opener for the fans...

I'll also be happy if Drew comes out of this game uninjured.

I sure hope I'm wrong, but as I've advised, I'll await the outcome as well.

LABillsFan
09-20-2002, 12:08 PM
Or, he along with the other receivers finally have a QB that exudes confidence and has ability, timing, arm strength, desire brawn and brains to get them the ball on time on target and a OC that actually has a track record.

LtBillsFan66
09-20-2002, 12:25 PM
Nobody is penciling him in as a superstar. Just asking for a little respect for the guy. He already proved what he is capable of.

lordofgun
09-20-2002, 12:30 PM
Instead of being skeptikal about everything until proven otherwise, I like to be optimistic until proven otherwise.

THATHURMANATOR
09-20-2002, 12:39 PM
I am the exact same way LOG!!!!

lordofgun
10-15-2002, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by BBillsFan

Welcome to the zone!

Dozerdog
10-15-2002, 11:28 PM
And Happy Birthday!

lordofgun
10-15-2002, 11:30 PM
:lol:

I just realized he posted that over a month ago! :lol:

WG
10-15-2002, 11:38 PM
#2 is correct. Imagine how he'd be on say Miami as the #1. He wouldn't be having nearly the same year.

My quote:

"But we'll see. How about waiting for Price to emerge first before penciling him in as a superstar. Let's see how he does this week. Let's see if he can get open quickly while Drew has time to throw. I think the pressure on Drew this week, from Denver's DL that is, is gonna be enormous."

He's stepped up. No one can deny him that! His play of the last three seasons was not great however.

Hats off to Price however for actually stepping up. Now if he's smart, he'll realize what you said LOG, that he's a #2 and needs to be on a team like ours where the #1 draws some coverage for him to excel. If he decides that it's worth a few bucks to post better numbers over the next few seasons, then depending upon Henry's development or our finding a replacement for him, we could have an offense like the Chargers of the early '80s where Jefferson, Joiner, and Winslow were all over 1,000 apiece.

If we can add a defense to that somehow between now and the beginning of next season, then look out. We'll go from a one-dimensional passing team to one that is among the top 3 in the league.

All I'd like for Christmas is an average Defense and a solution to our long-term RB issues.

If we can get that, we're in business for next season. We've got a LOT of work to do on D however. Me thinks some of it is coaching too.

Judge
10-16-2002, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
Contract year.

Totally ridiculous. .

Peerless Price emerged LAST YEAR as a high-quality WR in this league, but most people chose not to notice. This guy is exploding into the upper echelon of WR's in the NFL.

Is he benefitting from Moulds as a tandem? Obviously. Is he benefitting from having a QB who can actually get him the ball? YES!

But he's still delivering- he can walk the walk. He's an outstanding WR- I hope he can follow Moulds' lead and consider staying here even if it means a smaller bonus.

Judge
10-16-2002, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by timfromjersey
Wys,

I didn't know you were kickin in for Price's salary.

I have a $20 in my wallet. Will that help a little?

Of course he does- so do I. We're season ticket holders.

WG
10-16-2002, 11:38 AM
Judge,

"Peerless Price emerged LAST YEAR as a high-quality WR in this league, but most people chose not to notice."

I think most people saw the facts. Namely that he had 9 games under 50 yards, 11 under 60, and at best was a #2 WR. He had 5 games under 20 yards too.

Obviously he's benefitting from being on a team where he's a #2 and where we are averaging abot 340 passing yards per game. Most #2 WRs would be posting such numbers too under these circumstances.

Credit where credit is due, but Price is benefitting from Drew being here, from us not having a rushing game, and from the fact that we can't hold a lead in games.

How many yards do you think he would have if Henry were putting up a consistent 80-120 each week and we could rely on running the ball? Drew wouldn't have to toss for 340 each week and maybe only 240. Then Price wouldn't be having the same kind of year statistically. That wouldn't mean he's any worse.

It is very difficult to imagine any #2 WR on this team not having a similar year. He's doing it well, but there must be 25 other WRs that can do the same thing as a #2.

LtBillsFan66
10-16-2002, 12:02 PM
Wys,

Peerless had a nice year last year.

Are you forgetting that Moulds had an "off" year too.

Maybe that was due to the fact that they had a perennial back-up caliber QB out there.

You admitted to not watching all of last year's games, correct?

Drewpac
10-16-2002, 12:35 PM

It is very difficult to imagine any #2 WR on this team not having a similar year. He's doing it well, but there must be 25 other WRs that can do the same thing as a #2.

Wys,
Please name the 25 other #2 WRs in the NFL who are as good or better than Price. Also, you say that he's performing at an expected level for a #2 wide receiver. So, Peerless' projected numbers:
REC YARD YPC TD
PROJECTED 115 1637 14.3 13

are merely average for a #2 receiver given your logic. If he maintains that pace it would be one of the top 3 seasons statistically for any receiver in NFL history. Wys, you need to lay off the crack pipe, bro.

TedMock
10-16-2002, 12:59 PM
Peerless is a solid #2 guy. He's very fast and athletic. He's in a better system now with a better qb. It's common sense that these things help him. No receiver in the league wouldn't improve given the differences between last year and this year. He still has to get open, catch the ball, run and not fumble though. These are things he's better at this year. Some people are dubbing him great too fast but others are discrediting what he's done so far. Let's say that so far he's having a hell of a season and make a final decision in December. If your 2nd receiver gets 60ypg and 1000 yards. That's pretty solid for a 2nd receiver.

LtBillsFan66
10-16-2002, 01:18 PM
There is no doubt that Peerless is benefitting from Drew, Gilbride and of course Moulds on the other side as well as Centers, Reed and our TE's. But the main point I'm trying to make is that Peerless answered the call - in a big way!

BillsNYC
10-16-2002, 01:32 PM
peerless price has become a solid receiver for us this year and will be missed next year...anybody want to say that that simple fact is not true?

JefftheBillsfan
10-16-2002, 01:41 PM
imagine peerless in the rams offense....i honestly think he would be better than torry holt. as far as why he is playing exceptionally well this year, i think it is the team enthusiasm rather than the contract year. i think as long as the team is competitive peerless will play well.

LtBillsFan66
10-16-2002, 01:43 PM
I agree BillsNYC and jeff. The contract year theory is bunk.

casdhf
10-16-2002, 01:45 PM
It's working for Fred Taylor

LtBillsFan66
10-16-2002, 01:51 PM
In Peerless' case?

ublinkwescore
10-17-2002, 02:24 AM
All I know is that if the pro bowl voting were to end right now, we'd have more starters on the AFC's starting team then any other AFC team. Moulds would go, Price would go, Bledsoe would go, Brown (would maybe go just on name), and so would maybe two other offensive linemen - like Teague, Jennings, and maybe Mike Williams (although he's still got a bit to learn, he's more then solid) You've really got to give credit to our Front Office. Now if Our D could just catch on, we'd be even more dangerous of a team (we're already the most dangerous team in the league - take away the two Chad Morton KRs - he hasn't had one since week one), take away Henry's fumble against the Broncos, and we could have maybe scored on that drive, or punted, and held the Broncos to three and out, and scored on the next drive. Then if we hadn't fallen apart against the Raiders in the fourth quarter, we'd be undefeated right now. We've really shot ourselves in the foot - other teams didn't beat us, we for the most part beat ourselves.

Voltron
10-17-2002, 08:29 AM
I think you were right on the first 3 but any one after that I think is a pipe dream. Molds, Price and Drew go to the Pro-bowl but I think for the first time in a long time Brown is left out. I think that Moorman may go as well since he has the highest Punting yards in the league (he is some times inconsistent though). I really just wish our secondary would get their act together. With the points we score if we could make teams rely on the run more I could deal with some one running on us 30 to 40 times a game as long as we shut down a passing game we would be golden!