• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsFever
    Mr. Predictament
    • Feb 2003

Chargers have three-way war in the middle

CARSON – You don't have to look at the depth chart to know Carlos Polk is back at middle linebacker after a year on the strong side.

All you have to do is listen.

"Last year, you didn't hear me talk that much because half the time I didn't know what I was doing, and the rest of the time I was concentrating on what I was supposed to be doing," the normally vocal Polk said. "Covering the tight end, that was the first time I ever did it. It took me awhile to find the shortcuts at that position. It was tough to adjust from an attack mode to almost a react mode."

Polk is attacking again. He was returned to the middle – the position he played through high school and college – after Donnie Edwards slid outside to replace the traded Junior Seau.

The coaches have Polk running with the second team, but that could change depending on how he and others perform during the preseason. Coach Marty Schottenheimer said the exhibition games will determine whether fellow third-year pro Zeke Moreno holds on to the No. 1 job, or whether Ohio State rookie Matt Wilhelm overtakes the two veterans.

"With Zeke and Carlos it's very, very close," Schottenheimer said. "And Matt is behind (after missing some offseason workouts while waiting for his senior class to graduate), but he's making steady progress.

Working...
X