PDA

View Full Version : This bothered me more than the failed 2

Earthquake Enyart
09-16-2002, 09:32 AM
The first drive in OT, the Bills got down to the Minny 20 or so. 1st and 10 Drew gets sacked. I couldn't believe they were throwing the ball. They had a field goal less than 40 yards, until the sack. After the sack, they ran once, then that's when Hollis missed the 44 yarder.

I'd have kicked on 1st down.

Gunzlingr
09-16-2002, 09:57 AM
I couldn't believe that either! I was sure that they would hand it off, or just kick. I have no idea what our coaches were thinking.

WG
09-16-2002, 10:01 AM
Ditto. GW gave Gilbride a few "looks" during that game too. I wasn't at all pleased w/ KG. No creativity at all! None!

Pure talent is what did it yesterday. And DREEEEEWWWW!!!!

A fake FG would have been even better. A pass try. Incomplete, so what. Try again and kick.

kgun12
09-16-2002, 11:36 AM
It took me a little time to understand the thinking on this, but he is why I think they were throwing and not running.

1. The weren't running very well.
2. T. Brown is having problems holding on to the ball.
3. I think if Drew has that play over he throws it away! (No harm)
4. We were passing at will pretty much the whole game

THAT SAID I KICK THE FG ON FIRST DOWN PERIOD!!!!

Novacane
09-16-2002, 11:45 AM
That was a very strange call to be nice!

Patrick76777
09-16-2002, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
Ditto. GW gave Gilbride a few "looks" during that game too. I wasn't at all pleased w/ KG. No creativity at all! None!

Pure talent is what did it yesterday. And DREEEEEWWWW!!!!

A fake FG would have been even better. A pass try. Incomplete, so what. Try again and kick.

Doesn't matter.....GW has a headset on. and besides that. as head coach, as soon as the Moulds catch was completed, he should have said 2 runs and a kick. I put that play on GW.

4thAndLong
09-16-2002, 07:54 PM
No creativity?

No huddle?, who do you think is behind the coaching that got Bledsoe that many yards through the air?

lordofgun
09-16-2002, 07:59 PM
It made no sense to kick on 3rd down. I actually would have liked them to try to pick up a few more yards on 3rd, then kick on 4th.

Reason: If there was a bad snap on 3rd, we wouldn't have had another shot at a FG if the holder had just fallen on it. It would have pushed us back too far to attempt a reasonable field goal.

mchurchfie
09-16-2002, 08:39 PM
Good point LOG, but what's another 7 yds. Hollis was nailing them from 50+ Yds anyways. I don't think that they were comfortable enough with the long snapping to try it on 4th down. I would have ran the ball and centered it up on the field anyways though on 3rd down. Hollis was hitting them good from the left hashmark on in all day and he had to try that one from the right hash. Also, even though he played superb, I put that sack on Drew more than anything. He should have looked for a quick short completion and if it wasn't there throw the ball away.

Fat Tony
09-16-2002, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
The first drive in OT, the Bills got down to the Minny 20 or so. 1st and 10 Drew gets sacked. I couldn't believe they were throwing the ball. They had a field goal less than 40 yards, until the sack. After the sack, they ran once, then that's when Hollis missed the 44 yarder.

I'd have kicked on 1st down.

I hate to correct one of my best benifactors, but it was 1st and 5- The Vikes were offsides the snap before.
====================================
Buffalo Bills at 11:20
1-10-BUF23 (11:20) (Shotgun) L.Centers up the middle to BUF 24 for 1 yard (C.Wiley).
2-9-BUF24 (10:54) (Shotgun) D.Bledsoe pass to E.Moulds to BUF 37 for 13 yards (T.Carter).
1-10-BUF37 (10:24) (Shotgun) D.Bledsoe pass to P.Price to BUF 43 for 6 yards (B.Williams).
2-4-BUF43 (9:56) (Shotgun) D.Bledsoe pass to L.Centers to MIN 47 for 10 yards (T.Carter).
1-10-MIN47 (9:27) D.Bledsoe pass to E.Moulds to MIN 24 for 23 yards (T.Carter).
1-10-MIN24 (8:42) L.Centers left end to MIN 23 for 1 yard.
PENALTY on MIN-C.Hovan Defensive Offside 5 yards enforced at MIN 24 - No Play.
1-5-MIN19 (8:16) D.Bledsoe sacked at MIN 28 for -9 yards (L.Bromell).
2-14-MIN28 (7:40) D.Bledsoe pass to P.Price to MIN 26 for 2 yards (C.Chavous).
3-12-MIN26 (7:12) M.Hollis 44 yard field goal is No Good Wide Left Center-T.Teague Holder-B.Moorman.
===============================
Makes the decision making more questionable- I'd have run it 2 plays and kicked on the 3rd play. Get the Ball in the middle of the field.

Both his 50+ yard kicks were from the left hash marks, the missed FG in OT was from the right. Because he approches the ball from the left, the Ball tends to go straight or slightly to the right. KIcking on the right hashmarks, he has to hook it slightly left . He over-compensated on the missed kick.

Michael82
09-16-2002, 09:57 PM
Gotta agree! That makes it soo much more worse! It was 1st down and 5...we only needed another 5 yards for the next set of downs. All we had to do was run the ball with Henry to get the extra yardage and if we don't get the 1st down, we go for the field goal on 4th down. Why would u kick from so far away on 3rd down when you can still use another down for a fake FG or a run for more yards. Oh well...we still WON! :party:

Rude American
09-17-2002, 08:42 AM
That was the stupidest call of the night. The game should have been over as a result of that drive. 1st and 5 on their 20 and we throw. Brilliant call from the sidelines.

don137
09-17-2002, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by lordofgun
It made no sense to kick on 3rd down. I actually would have liked them to try to pick up a few more yards on 3rd, then kick on 4th.

Reason: If there was a bad snap on 3rd, we wouldn't have had another shot at a FG if the holder had just fallen on it. It would have pushed us back too far to attempt a reasonable field goal.

LOG, that was my thinking exactly. A couple extra yards can make a big difference and if they botched the kick they wouldn't of been able to attempt a FG anyways...

blcny
09-17-2002, 11:06 AM
It was a great call. It was set up for fantasy owners. Think about the xtra pts people got from that 48 yd TD pass to Price. Probably the difference maker in a lot of fantasy games.
:jk:

You have to run the ball up the middle twice, and kick the field goal(if you don't get a first down).

Dozerdog
09-17-2002, 11:11 AM
You know- I was up against Price, Riemersma, Hollis, & Bledsoe in my FFL- I wanted to get my assed kicked by those guys-

Never root against players or the Bills for your FFL interests.... Bills first!!!

Judge
09-17-2002, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Rude American
That was the stupidest call of the night. The game should have been over as a result of that drive. 1st and 5 on their 20 and we throw. Brilliant call from the sidelines.

I think they got a little cocky and a little greedy at that point. So what? It didn't hurt them and they can learn from it.

Rebecky
09-17-2002, 04:19 PM
We dodged a bullet on that one, for sure. Is something like this the reason Buddy Ryan punched out KG on the sidelines? What exactly was behind that infamous incident?

Dozerdog
09-17-2002, 04:44 PM
Ryan didn't like the Run & shoot offense because it didn't give his Defense enough of a blow on the sideline.

If I recall, it was a sunday night game vs the Jets and either the Oilers went a quick 3 and out or turned the ball over really quick after a tough Oiler stand, right before the half.

Ryan is a moron

Earthquake Enyart
09-18-2002, 06:38 AM
Buddy Ryan is an evil genius. I'd take Ryan over Gilbride in a heartbeat.

Dozerdog
09-18-2002, 09:24 AM
He's an offensive Moron

1990 Skins vs Eagles playoff game

Pulling Cuningham in the playoff game as Eagles head coach was incredibly stupid. It destroyed the Eagle's confidence when they put in McMahon. Cunningham lead both teams inn Rushing Yards (80) had the same passing Yards as Rypien (205), and a better completion rate than Rypien.

It was such a bad coaching job he got replaced bt RICH KOTITE!!!

Earthquake Enyart
09-18-2002, 09:27 AM
Wasn't Gilbride replaced by June Jones?

Buddy wasn't the greated head coach, but as D coordinator, he is god like. They still worshop idols of him in Chicago.

lordofgun
09-18-2002, 09:38 AM
Chicago :rolleyes: