PDA

View Full Version : Wys

Bert102176
08-04-2003, 12:10 AM
hey dude I know ya get bashed on alot cause ya bash some of our players, but you're still a nice guy in my book.

Jan Reimers
08-04-2003, 05:56 AM
Ditto. Without diverse opinions, this site would be pretty dull.

TypicalBill
08-04-2003, 06:01 AM
Hey Wys, we LUV ya man.

just stop bashing our starting QB :madcurse: atleast until he costs us a game this season...

Tatonka
08-04-2003, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by TypicalBill
Hey Wys, we LUV ya man.

just stop bashing our starting QB :madcurse: atleast until he costs us a game this season...

ditto.

justasportsfan
08-04-2003, 08:32 AM
Hey Wys, we LUV ya man.

No!

R. Rich
08-04-2003, 08:39 AM
You're alright.

LtBillsFan66
08-04-2003, 08:52 AM
I think wys is an evil evil man. Evil I tell you! EVIL!

R. Rich
08-04-2003, 09:24 AM
You sound like that crazy lady in the movie "The Birds".

But, maybe you're right.

WG
08-04-2003, 09:59 AM
Hey Wys, we LUV ya man.

What, the 7 games last year weren't enough to scare the bejeepers outta ya...!

:D

Hmmm...

I see a definite trend/pattern in this thread...

I think I'll close it now...

:D

LMAO BFO!!!

John Doe
08-04-2003, 06:35 PM
There are some misunderstandings about my feelings for Wys that I would like to clear up right now. He is a great guy, a super family man. This prince of a fellow has surely done great service for this site. A "mench" I tell ya. Its his skills at analyzing football that I take issue with. We will never get to the next rung as a fan site with him as moderator.

Sure, he racks up posts like no one elsl in message board history, and nobody writes the "long reply" like that guy. And stats? Nobody crunches them like good ol Wys. I just question his decision making in crucial post situations, that's all.

I have followed his career from his rookie year at BuffaloBills.com. He showed promise, but his lapses in posting judgement were painfully apparent. Of course, we all recall his gaffs at "the other" message board - it wasn't pretty. He had a real opportunity to post it all, but then the Rob Johnson thing came along and the jig was up. I was hoping for better here, but its still the "same old Wys" dropping the thread time and time again.

I think that there is a lot of promise in some of the new posters here. These guys show a lot of potential and I think its time to turn over the QB analyst roll to one of them. Sure, there're unproven, but they can't be any worse than Wys (bless his heart!). He is the pits.

Wys, we love ya buddy! Its your football knowledge and opinions that we question. You just can't get it done.

mikemac2001
08-04-2003, 07:19 PM
Wys is a ******

casdhf
08-04-2003, 07:20 PM
Wys is a nice guy, be he reminds me of that loser at the track that always goes broke. He back's the wrong horse every time. Rob Johnson, Shawn Bryson, Travis Brown.... :D

cordog
08-04-2003, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by casdhf
Wys is a nice guy, be he reminds me of that loser at the track that always goes broke. He back's the wrong horse every time. Rob Johnson, Shawn Bryson, Travis Brown.... :D

ROFL

WG
08-04-2003, 09:47 PM
How about the ones I've called right, to a T in most cases:

E. Robinson (before he ever even set a foot on the field), Reed (for good), Flutie, Moore, and soon to be Prioleau, Wire, and Thomas. :D

Oh yeah, and Drew! This is like a deja vu for me w/ the Flutie thing!

Here's what cracks me up, is that most if not all of you don't even dare say anything other than "everyone's gonna be great" so that you can't really be wrong or you have TD or some other coach "on your side" so that you can hide behind that!

I call it wussiness in that way! You can call it whatever you like. Even when I openly challenge some, they run and won't post before hand anything that they think and naturally they're always right after the fact.

So say what you will, at least I have the stones to ante-up before hand! That's more than I can say for just about all of my critics, and the harshest ones at that!

It's easy to say nothing, make no predictions, and then claim perfection. Well, I guess 0-for-0 isn't failing. :rolleyes:

I realize that all of this has been precipitated simply b/c I am not big on Drew as a QB. But I'll be right on that again this season, and believe me, it'll be painfully obvious to all of us such that I won't even have to bring it up! When that happens, how many of you big talkers are gonna say "Dang! Wys was right!"

Uhhuh! I can see everyone hushin' up fast!

And BTW, how many of the national analysts are always right?

Here's a hint: ZERO

Most of them make inane "media safe" statements that everyone else is making as well just so that if they are wrong, they've hedged their bets.

At least I think and analyze independently and put up my views so that there are no mistakes about my stance, for good or bad in hindsight. Am I wrong sometimes? Sure am! But that's more than most of you will ever admit to! ;)

And man, let me tell all of you glass house wusses, it feels great! So strap on a pair, quit *****in', and step out onto the playing field!!! I'm always waiting...

I'm waiting! In the meantime, if you insist on throwing stones from the stands while wearing a skirt, be my guest!

;)

JefftheBillsfan
08-04-2003, 10:43 PM
sigh

CommissarSpartacus
08-04-2003, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy

E. Robinson (before he ever even set a foot on the field), Reed (for good), Flutie, Moore, and soon to be Prioleau, Wire, and Thomas. :D

Here's what cracks me up, is that most if not all of you don't even dare say anything other than "everyone's gonna be great" so that you can't really be wrong or you have TD or some other coach "on your side" so that you can hide behind that!

I call it wussiness in that way! You can call it whatever you like. Even when I openly challenge some, they run and won't post before hand anything that they think and naturally they're always right after the fact.

So say what you will, at least I have the stones to ante-up before hand! That's more than I can say for just about all of my critics, and the harshest ones at that!

It's easy to say nothing, make no predictions, and then claim perfection. Well, I guess 0-for-0 isn't failing. :rolleyes:

I realize that all of this has been precipitated simply b/c I am not big on Drew as a QB. But I'll be right on that again this season, and believe me, it'll be painfully obvious to all of us such that I won't even have to bring it up! When that happens, how many of you big talkers are gonna say "Dang! Wys was right!"

Uhhuh! I can see everyone hushin' up fast!

And BTW, how many of the national analysts are always right?

Here's a hint: ZERO

Most of them make inane "media safe" statements that everyone else is making as well just so that if they are wrong, they've hedged their bets.

At least I think and analyze independently and put up my views so that there are no mistakes about my stance, for good or bad in hindsight. Am I wrong sometimes? Sure am! But that's more than most of you will ever admit to! ;)

And man, let me tell all of you glass house wusses, it feels great! So strap on a pair, quit *****in', and step out onto the playing field!!! I'm always waiting...

I'm waiting! In the meantime, if you insist on throwing stones from the stands while wearing a skirt, be my guest!

;)

I couldn't agree more.

I 've also followed wys' career for two years now and aside from the Flutie /RJ thing where his judgement was corrupted by emotional issues that I'm sure he regrets, his football analysis has been solid and imaginative.

As for his style, I dig it because he at least has the guts to say something, to take a stand even if it is unpopular and the wit to defend himself in an interesting way against some very boring and stupid criticism.

Posters that complain about wys to other posters should stop whining, grow a pair and try and prove him wrong.

If you can.

Scott
08-05-2003, 05:58 AM
Everyone picks on Wys because they don't have Rob Johnson to kick around any more.

justasportsfan
08-05-2003, 07:43 AM

;)

Wrong! You were wrong w/ Flutie. 21-9 was better than 8-11 . Always refused to recognize those stats Mr. statman :snicker: Flutie was not a great qb but he was better than Rob :D Even VP was better than Rob.

Drew? Like I said , you already consider him a bust after only 1 year when you were wrong about Rob for 4 years. :earpoke:

WG
08-05-2003, 09:49 AM
Flutie consistently led the offense to put up less than 20 points and allowed himself to take credit. Look, I'm not gonna discuss Flutie. Just like Drew he was a "highlight reel" as long as you didn't need scenes of "his O" crossing the goal line and preferred rushing E-W vice N-S! Same with Drew, he's a highlight reel if as long as you don't need indicators or scenes of the Bills crossing the goal line. If you want great deep catches between the twenties, great, then you're all set!

Flutie had different strengths like agility, which Drew doesn't have at all, LOL, scrambling ability, but he didn't have a strong arm which Drew has, obviously. But in terms of their impact, and I'm not talkin' about their perceived impact, but in terms of their real impact, neither one lit up the boards. Drew doesn't except v. the league's scrubs. Doug didn't at all w/ few exceptions. Both got credit, whether they were factors in that or not, for wins where the D and RBs really did the work. Both sold tickets initially, but just as with Doug, I'm guessing that this will be the season that the sheen comes off of Drew's image. I'd wager, especially in light of our schedule, that he plays more like he did in the other 14 games last season than he does in two games v. Chicago and Minnesota. And for every game like the second Fin game that we win on big plays, I will assure you that we'll lose two others elsewhere on the same strategy.

I told you that Doug would suck when he got to S.D. and they'd lose a ton of games. If 11 or 9 straight wasn't enough to show you how crappy Flutie was, then Flutie-on my man...!

My point still stands. My biggest & harshest critics are those who seldom, it at all, make any predictions of their own and the load up w/ rocks to pelt me with. Even when I directly ask them to! So what am I supposed to make of that?? They won't even in friendly fashion put up what they believe! Am I supposed to respect that, especially in hindsight when I wasn't incorrect? Am I supposed to applaud them for not deviating from the partyline/front-office 'stuff' that comes outta there almost daily? What?

It's almost as if they're angry over the truth of the matter and are taking it out on me. So be it, but I'll take much of this criticism a lot more seriously when others can take the stand that they're wrong at times too. This notion that I'm the only one on these boards or who writes a sports column who's incorrect from time-to-time is laughable. Especially when you factor in the national media.

Hey, I hope I'm wrong on Drew too. I just can't see it happening after following him and his play, almost obsessively in that I was wagering against him while he was at N.E. Go ahead tho, ignore seasons where he threw 13/16, 25/27, and 15/15 for 53/58 total, and then was heralded as something special. Go ahead and ignore that after the Minnesota and Chicago games, oh, BTW, the 30th/25th scoring Ds and the 29th/24th passing Ds, to put up 17/15 in the remaining 14 games. Go ahead and ignore all that as we cheer him into poor play into the playoffs and then bring him back for another year and a new contract extension.

I just can't do that. If I'm wrong, then I hope everyone will cut me some slack. I can't see that happening however. It won't make me any happier, especially if we squander an AFC championship opportunity or SB opp as a result. I'll have considered it tragic that hype and perceptions guided our decision making as a team, and not common sense and past experience.

Perhaps I shouldn't have commented on Drew's quote earlier. But you know what, it stood out to me, and all I could think of was, "Oh no!!! Here we go again!!!

TedMock
08-05-2003, 10:13 AM
I'll say this about Wys. I've totally agreed and totally disagreed with his viewpoints depending on what we're talking about. I've also found myself on the fence with him and agreed with part of what's saying and not the other. The only thing I don't like is the statistical argument.....NOT that it's always wrong, I just have a different philosophy with sports. I don't believe stats are always an accurate measue of most sports and athletes. Baseball..yes, football, hockey and basketball..no. Again, my philosophy, which is what I've always believed as a fan and player. No matter what, though, Wys does put a lot of time, thought and effort into his arguments and quite honestly that's what I respect. If you're going to do it, do it with a bit of education and thought behind it.

WG
08-05-2003, 12:06 PM
Thanks TM!!!

Allow me to ask you one question however, and you may very well come down on my side on this one;

But since you don't like the statistical argument, how do you justify/rationalize the entire notion that all of Drew's records/accolades last year were based exclusively on "non-scoring statistics"?

I mean attempts and yardage say absolutely nothing in-and-of-themselves. Yet, those are the indicators making most scream and shout and jump up and down proverbially speaking.

Just curious. That's one thing I've never been able to get anyone to answer. I would think that w/ more yards and more attempts, comes more scoring for good QBs. But that wasn't the case, which is where the conundrum kicks in.

CommissarSpartacus
08-05-2003, 01:53 PM
Here's a stat that's a favorite of the Drew pimpers.

He's the career leader in fourth quarter comebacks.

Sounds impressive, right?

What it actually says is Drew was behind going into the fourth quarter an inordinate amount of the time.

That is, the two minute drill (everyone run downfield and Drew will whip it to someone) is the one thing he does well.

However his ability to run the fifty six minute offense stinks.

Like the guy who leads the league in fourth quarter comebacks for the last five years.

Jake Plummer.

TedMock
08-05-2003, 03:22 PM
Thanks TM!!!

Allow me to ask you one question however, and you may very well come down on my side on this one;

But since you don't like the statistical argument, how do you justify/rationalize the entire notion that all of Drew's records/accolades last year were based exclusively on "non-scoring statistics"?

I mean attempts and yardage say absolutely nothing in-and-of-themselves. Yet, those are the indicators making most scream and shout and jump up and down proverbially speaking.

Just curious. That's one thing I've never been able to get anyone to answer. I would think that w/ more yards and more attempts, comes more scoring for good QBs. But that wasn't the case, which is where the conundrum kicks in.

I'm in total agreement with you. If I had it my way Drew would pass for 200-250 yards every week with 2 TD's and maybe 1 pick here or there. This way we'd all be happy. He'd have around 3600 yards, 32 TD's and 16 picks. We'd be 12-4 and we'd all be happy. Don't get me wrong, stats are not useless, I just think they're very misleading in most cases. Quite often big passing yards means that the team is behind or that the offense isn't balanced. Depending on the game we fell into both traps. More attempts and more yards also lead to more interceptions and in an unbalanced offense they lead to misfires by QB, RB and WR's. I've seen it a million times over the years with several teams. pass, pass, pass, pass, pass....now it's 3rd and goal and the QB's arm and WR's legs feel like jello and after a nice 80 yard drive they settle for a FG, throw a pick, drop the ball or fumble. Balance is necessary and I personally think it would play to Drew's strengths and we'd all love watching him much more. He forces the ball at times but he also throws a great long ball and is good at play action. By pounding the backs he'll be able to do what he's good at too. It's not him that scares me.........it's Gilbride. The Raiders out-passed us but that's apples and oranges. Gannon doesn't throw near the deep ball that Drew does but he does throw a better short-mid game. We don't run the "west coast offense" that they do. It fits Gannon perfectly. That's what bothers me about Gilbride. He didn't tailor the offense to the QB or RB last season. I think DB and TH could work beautifully together if strategy allows.

TedMock
08-05-2003, 03:26 PM
I mentioned it in a previous thread that there are so many "little" things that go on in a game un-noticed but in the end are so important. Holding call in the 2nd quarter that killed momentum. Or the stop on 2nd and 7 forcing a 3rd down passing situation. Late in the game, little things that happened in the first 3 quarters really play a big role. These are just 2 example but we could probably all rattle off 10 or so. In both situations it could be for or against us.

SABURZFAN
08-06-2003, 05:36 AM
Originally posted by justasportsfan

Wrong! You were wrong w/ Flutie. 21-9 was better than 8-11 . Always refused to recognize those stats Mr. statman :snicker: Flutie was not a great qb but he was better than Rob :D Even VP was better than Rob.

Drew? Like I said , you already consider him a bust after only 1 year when you were wrong about Rob for 4 years. :earpoke:

:doh:

WG
08-06-2003, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by TedMock
I mentioned it in a previous thread that there are so many "little" things that go on in a game un-noticed but in the end are so important. Holding call in the 2nd quarter that killed momentum. Or the stop on 2nd and 7 forcing a 3rd down passing situation. Late in the game, little things that happened in the first 3 quarters really play a big role. These are just 2 example but we could probably all rattle off 10 or so. In both situations it could be for or against us.

My only issue w/ some of what you said are that those same things are common to all teams/players yet other QBs didn't do the same. Particularly none of the "marquee" or "premier" QBs. Those things are particular to Drew and therefore shouldn't be used as excuses.

Also, I couldn't disagree w/ you more as I've stated before, that "being down" and "the offense not being balanced" were issues.

Of Drew's 19 TOs, 11 were w/ the Bills either ahead or down by 7 or fewer points. Usually just 1, 3, or 4. Only once by 7. As well, the offense wasn't balanced, but it wasn't because we tried to play in a balanced fashion. It was because Gilbride forced it to be unbalanced. Thus the concern over Gilbride. His crowning achievement was that S.D. game. Man, if that didn't say it all about KG!

He forced Drew all game while Henry was 17 for 91 (5.4 YPC) yards up until ~ 3 minutes left in the game. Meanwhile, Drew was 10 of 32 for 96 thru 57 minutes.

So why? Why did Kevin repeatedly throw Drew?

As soon as we got the ball back w/ 3:04 remaining in the game, we ran Henry 5 of 7 plays and easily scored as Henry was 5 for 53 yards and hit his second TD of the day.

I mean what kind of moron do you have to be to keep doing that for almost an entire game and risking another loss???

BTW, not knockin' Drew. As much as I don't think he's good, every QB is entitled to a bad game or two. But dadgummit! Gilbride had to have been the village idiot, which I believe he is, in the town that he grew up to continue calling the game like that; 32 throws to only 17 carries thru 57 minutes!!

I'm sure you remember sitting there w/ every other Bills fan saying "run the ball you moron!" LOL I know I was.

So that was the extreme example of Gilbride not even attempting to add some balance. IMO if we had run Henry more, Drew wouldn't have had such a poor game, and we would have won by 20 and it would have been over in the late third. Not sure about you, but I much prefer that to risking O/T on idiocy!

TedMock
08-06-2003, 08:37 AM

My only issue w/ some of what you said are that those same things are common to all teams/players yet other QBs didn't do the same. Particularly none of the "marquee" or "premier" QBs. Those things are particular to Drew and therefore shouldn't be used as excuses.

Also, I couldn't disagree w/ you more as I've stated before, that "being down" and "the offense not being balanced" were issues.

Of Drew's 19 TOs, 11 were w/ the Bills either ahead or down by 7 or fewer points. Usually just 1, 3, or 4. Only once by 7. As well, the offense wasn't balanced, but it wasn't because we tried to play in a balanced fashion. It was because Gilbride forced it to be unbalanced. Thus the concern over Gilbride. His crowning achievement was that S.D. game. Man, if that didn't say it all about KG!

He forced Drew all game while Henry was 17 for 91 (5.4 YPC) yards up until ~ 3 minutes left in the game. Meanwhile, Drew was 10 of 32 for 96 thru 57 minutes.

So why? Why did Kevin repeatedly throw Drew?

As soon as we got the ball back w/ 3:04 remaining in the game, we ran Henry 5 of 7 plays and easily scored as Henry was 5 for 53 yards and hit his second TD of the day.

I mean what kind of moron do you have to be to keep doing that for almost an entire game and risking another loss???

BTW, not knockin' Drew. As much as I don't think he's good, every QB is entitled to a bad game or two. But dadgummit! Gilbride had to have been the village idiot, which I believe he is, in the town that he grew up to continue calling the game like that; 32 throws to only 17 carries thru 57 minutes!!

I'm sure you remember sitting there w/ every other Bills fan saying "run the ball you moron!" LOL I know I was.

So that was the extreme example of Gilbride not even attempting to add some balance. IMO if we had run Henry more, Drew wouldn't have had such a poor game, and we would have won by 20 and it would have been over in the late third. Not sure about you, but I much prefer that to risking O/T on idiocy!

I think we're actually on somewhat of the same page. The balanced attack (or lack of) is exactly what we're both harping on. I mentioned being behind and running an unbalanced offense as reasons we passed way to much and I think we both agree that Gilbride insisted on pounding the ball or panicking too soon. You're damn right I was screaming "RUN THE BALL". I think doing that would play into Drew's strengths and make him more effective. We were extremely unbalanced and I've always blamed Gilbride for that. I also always felt that he got away from the run whenever we were down.....even if it was only by a TD.

WG
08-06-2003, 08:46 AM
Here's the difference:

You said: "I mentioned being behind and running an unbalanced offense as reasons we passed way to much..."

I say: "We weren't behind, yet, we opted to run an unbalanced offense thereby putting us behind and worsening a not-so-critical situation(s), thus forcing us to be even more unbalanced. To our ultimate detriment!"

In other words, it was us choosing to be unbalanced that led to us being behind, forcing us to continue to be unbalanced.

It was Drew's own errors that put us behind often. That's why I scratch my head when people mention all of his past "come from behind wins". B/c if you go look at them in detail and assess how good the opponents were vice how good the Pats were, you'll find that most of them were against inferior opponents and the reasons why the Pats were behind to begin with was Drew's poor play. So why should he be heralded for "fixing what he screwed up!"

TedMock
08-06-2003, 08:56 AM
Here's the difference:

You said: "I mentioned being behind and running an unbalanced offense as reasons we passed way to much..."

I say: "We weren't behind, yet, we opted to run an unbalanced offense thereby putting us behind and worsening a not-so-critical situation(s), thus forcing us to be even more unbalanced. To our ultimate detriment!"

In other words, it was us choosing to be unbalanced that led to us being behind, forcing us to continue to be unbalanced.

gotcha. I don't either statement is wrong. We were unbalanced, no doubt about it. I just think we completely abandoned the run as soon as we were behind. The unbalanced part pissed me off but the panic is what drove me to insanity.

WG
08-06-2003, 09:01 AM
Again, I don't think we ever gave the run a chance in 8 or 10 of our 16 games. Thus why I think Gilbride is an idiot! I mean truly, not just saying that. I think the man's not nearly the brightest OC or even coach in the league. I'd place him at the bottom of the stack. When you look at his past teams/performances, it doesn't help.

As well, being down by 10 early in the second or late in the first shouldn't panic any OC. Yet, it seems as if Gilbride played right into the hands of the enemy in that way. If anything, being down early in such a manner as being resultant from TOs, I'd run the ball more and get control of the game before I did anything. Not continue to do the exact same things that dug the hole to begin with. That's exactly why we lost the 2nd Pats game. The dynamic duo struck yet again. Also, the second Jets game.

WG
08-06-2003, 09:17 AM
Here are some examples:

In the S.D. game, the first two plays were runs to Henry which is common to start the game w/ a run or two. After that however, we threw the ball on 3rd-and-3, and in 5 of the next 6 plays in two drives. Twice on 3rd-and-3, once incomplete, once sacked forced to punt.

On the next drive, we ran Henry 5 times out of 9 plays and 7.4 YPC and a TD. Drew was 0-for-4 w/ our other yards coming on penalties.

On the very next drive, we passed 5 straight times to force a punt!

WHY?

Again, on the following drive, we ran a reverse for 7 yards, then threw Drew in 4 of 6 plays!

WHY?

Then w/ just over 3 minutes left before the half, we got the ball back at the S.D. 35 and after running Henry once for a gain of 7, we throw Drew in 5 of the next 6 plays, w/ a Centers run being the other :huh:, and force a FG instead of getting what should have been an easy TD. And oh, BTW, our STs set up that good FP.

Anyway, we weren't really down, in fact up by 4, for most of that!

So why did we do that? Is that sound play-calling. I was gonna post another game or two, and they're out there, believe me. But I think you get the point. We did this all year long. I'm tellin' ya, Gilbride has some sort of mental shortcoming!

TedMock
08-06-2003, 09:26 AM
being down by any amount early in the game is no reason to panic. Like I said before Gilbride scares me more than any player. If they run the ball effectively it'll allow big and effective plays in the passing game. I'm not a stat guy but balance vs. unbalanced is just common sense. Take a look at how many times Henry only had 12 carries. 11 carries in one game!!

Att Yds Avg
31 149 4.8
12 30 2.5
12 35 2.9
12 68 5.7
15 58 3.9
28 159 5.7
22 132 6.0
19 64 3.4
11 53 4.8
24 126 5.3
17 83 4.9
35 151 4.3
15 60 4.0
22 144 6.5
20 46 2.3
30 80 2.7

Like I said, I'm not a stat guy but that's only 20 carries per game. They need to get him 5 more and then find another 10-15 carries for the other backs. That's just my coaching philosophy.

HenryRules
08-06-2003, 09:34 AM
I don't think they should give Henry any more touches than he had last year. 320 or so carries for the season is enough to get involved in the game but still allows you to stay fresh and away from injuries.

I'd like to see us use our backups a lot more (about 15 carries). I'm hoping the reason that we didn't is because Gilbride didn't have faith in giving the ball to Morris.

Another thing I'd like to see us do more frequently is run reverses and such with Reed. I don't know if we did that much at all last year, but he seems really suited to doing those sort of plays.

WG
08-06-2003, 09:35 AM
No I fully agree. BTW, I've got all that on spreadsheet if you want it. It clarifies quite a bit when you can sort it and break it down.

You also have to consider that in that 22 for 140 game, S.D., 5 of those carries were in the last 3 minutes. That's only 17 thru 57 minutes.

It's gonna be an interesting season. I can see us winning the division at 12-4, winning the AFC East and being in the SB.

I can also see us finishing 7-9 due to complete and utter bumbling by Gilbride by not controlling this offense and "forcing Drew to be the centerpiece" of it again and throwing 60% of the time. Keep in mind, that 60% would be a "cut-down", so in KG's mind, that may be balance, and if you look at his track record as a coach, there're plenty of reasons to suspect that will be the case.

I'm w/ you tho. We need to run Henry 20-30 times/game each and every game, run some of the other RBs, and keep Drew's passes way down from 657 or so dropbacks to around 500 or so, which would result in ~ 460 attempts after sacks. Assuming 40 sacks.

I just don't think that Gilbride has it in him to run the O like that! Believe me, I'd get rid of Gilbride LONG before I'd get rid of Drew.

WG
08-06-2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by HenryRules
I don't think they should give Henry any more touches than he had last year. 320 or so carries for the season is enough to get involved in the game but still allows you to stay fresh and away from injuries.

I'd like to see us use our backups a lot more (about 15 carries). I'm hoping the reason that we didn't is because Gilbride didn't have faith in giving the ball to Morris.

Another thing I'd like to see us do more frequently is run reverses and such with Reed. I don't know if we did that much at all last year, but he seems really suited to doing those sort of plays.

I'd be good w/ that as long as we run Gary or whomever. Also, may be a good opportunity to run McGahee some at the end of the season.

TedMock
08-06-2003, 10:13 AM
ditto. the key is getting the carries whether it's Henry or Gary. I'd like to see Henry get at least 20 per game (22-25 would be ideal imo). I know 20 was his average but to only get 11 or 12 is just too few. I do think that he could do that without too much wear on his body. I don't want him getting 35 carries every week though either. On the same note, I'd like to see Drew's attempts down to 20-30 per game. It would probably lead to his lowest attempt total ever but it would preserve that strong arm for the playoffs. The big play would actually be open more so we'd pound the ball and every now and then open it up like the old Steelers did.

Halbert
08-06-2003, 10:51 AM
Alien I tells ya.

WG
08-06-2003, 10:55 AM
LMAO...

WG
08-06-2003, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by TedMock
On the same note, I'd like to see Drew's attempts down to 20-30 per game. It would probably lead to his lowest attempt total ever but it would preserve that strong arm for the playoffs.

Yeah, it would also probably lead Gilbride to angina!

What do you think that the chances of that actually are??

15 of 16 games last season featured Drew putting up at least 31 attempts/game ranging to 53. He only put up 27 tries in the second Miami game.

I don't see it happening.

TedMock
08-06-2003, 12:59 PM
I don't either and if my memory serves me correctly were somewhere close to 40 attempts per last season.....38 or 39, something like that.

TedMock
08-06-2003, 01:01 PM
maybe we should bring Buddy Ryan in as a "consultant" to put Gilbride in his place again. That houston team actually had a very solid defense (anything Ryan touched) and KG drove Ryan to breaking point because of play calling.