• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsFever
    Mr. Predictament
    • Feb 2003

Blache happy Stewart's on his side

BOURBONNAIS, Ill. - Greg Blache is all too familiar with the damage that multi-dimensional quarterback Kordell Stewart can inflict on a defense.

The Bears' defensive coordinator experienced it firsthand in 1996 when Stewart rushed for two touchdowns to help lead the Pittsburgh Steelers to a 42-14 playoff victory over the Indianapolis Colts. Blache was the Colts' defensive line coach at the time.

"I used to go against him in the AFC, so I've been after him," Blache said. "He and I have had our words. I've called him some real choice words, some that we wouldn't use around mom and the kids back when he was on the other sideline.

"He knocked us out of the championship game. I just told him that all is forgiven and he owes me a championship ring. If he takes us to the championship game here, I'll forgive him."

Stewart has looked sharp operating the Bears' offense during the first 10 days of training camp. The loudest cheers from fans have come when the 6-0, 218-pounder tucks the ball under his arm and takes off running.

"He adds a whole new dimension because he creates a situation where you're not going to play certain coverages because you can't account for the quarterback," Blache said. "The worst thing you can do to a great running quarterback is take all his routes away because all of a sudden he puts the ball away and he's running on you in the open field.
  • The_Philster
    • Jul 2002

Stewart better be the answer

Here's a fun game to play when trying to determine the Bears' chances for success in 2003. Pretend you're an NFL general manager given a chance to start a team from scratch.

What five positions would you fill first? In no particular order, you'd have to find a quarterback, running back, left tackle, pass rusher and cornerback. Now consider the Bears' five-player combination at those positions--Kordell Stewart, Anthony Thomas, Mike Gandy, Alex Brown and R.W. McQuarters.

more
    The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• The_Philster
      • Jul 2002

Stewart working to buoy Bears' psyche

The quickest way to ruin a defense is with a bad offense.

A large part of the Bears' undoing on defense last season was directly related to offensive doldrums. Last in the league in rushing, 28th in third-down efficiency and ninth from the bottom in plays run, coordinator Greg Blache's defense rarely had a chance to catch its breath and could rarely count on being bailed out.

There is a mounting concern that the ride is going to be rough again.

It is one thing to come away from exhibition games with losses. It is another to lose and look bad in many facets, as the Bears have.
      ...more
      The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

Working...
      X