X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Patrick76777
    • Jul 2002

Thoughts on the Scrimmage!

As with the games, I like to write down my thoughts before I read the board. I don’t want what I read to influence my thoughts.

I did end up going to the scrimmage. Got some great seats in the corner of the endzone, 7 rows up. Actually sat right next to a family of Bills fans. Also saw a guy in my hotel who saw my Bledsoe Jersey and said, “Go Bills” Turns out he was from Williamsville. All in all, it was a good turnout by Bills fans.

As to the actual scrimmage here’s a few of my thoughts. Now mind you, I had my children with me so it was difficult to see a lot of the details. The Browns offense took the field first and were terribly ineffective against our starting D. The D looked very strong. When the Browns had 3 plays from the 2 yard line and our D made 3 great plays to stop them.

Our Offense looked tight. I thought Travis Henry was running better then he did last year. He hit the holes hard and made great moves. I hope it’s a sign of things to come. Drew was hitting his receivers and we drove right down the field. Josh Reed made a great catch as did Eric Moulds. On the Bledsoe INT, It looked like he threw the ball behind Moulds. (I heard on the radio this morning that Eric ran an out and Drew threw an In, Early season mistake.) On the plays from the 2. Travis Henry easily ran one in for a TD.

On the Browns second possession Kelly Holcomb made some nice plays against our 2nd unit defense. The nice part is that we forced a few turnovers. Including one by Kevin Thomas who continues to show that he has a nose for the ball. It was fun seeing the Browns fans battling over the QB’s. They even started a Kelly, Kelly, chant. I sure don’t miss those RJ, DF days in Buffalo.

AVP came in for the second series and it looked like our offense went from pro bowl to pop warner. I really hope they make T. Brown our back-up. AVP is a good guy, but I don’t think he has what it takes. The O didn’t do much.

I thought Joe Burns had a great scrimmage. The guy was running like a maniac on the 3rd possession. But it will be tough for him to get a spot. He’ll have to hope for special teams. Bobby Shaw also looked good in making a great catch. Brown didn’t lite the place up, but played well with the 3rd teamers. I’d like to see him with the 1st teamers.

After the scrimmage I found some post-game coverage on a Browns radio station. They only touched on the bills a couple of times but here is some of what they said. At one point they referred to the Bills having a great set of starting CB’s. Later, while talking about the Bills LB’s they started going thru the defense and one of the guys said, “This Buffalo team is very Solid! Later while discussing the scrimmage during a sports update (and I heard them say this twice) they said that although the Browns outscored the Bills 18-6, the Bills starting units thoroughly dominated the scrimmage.

I don’t think anybody should take ANY stock in the sack numbers. It was ridiculous! Guys would be a good 4 yards from the QB and the refs would blow the whistle. I saw plays where the QB would get the ball off or even make a move but the play was still dead. Those sack numbers are useless.

If you have any questions, just ask. I’ll do my best.
    Resign our own guys!
  • LtBillsFan66
    • Jul 2002

Great report.

Was Coy Wire really not in there?

Comment

• Throne Logic
      Terry Tate - Outside Linebacker
      • Aug 2002

Thanks, Patrick. Nice to have some first-hand info. Interesting note about those sacks.

Drew did mention that he messed up and forced the INT to Moulds to end that big drive. Still, at least he's noticing that there is a problem early on. Maybe he can work to fix it.
      Still searching for that offensive rhythm.

Comment

• Patrick76777
        • Jul 2002

Yeah, I figure Drew and Eric aren't going to make that mistake often. Not a big deal.
        Resign our own guys!

Comment

• Patrick76777
          • Jul 2002

Also, the Browns first TD was BS. It was right in my corner and I had a great view. That guy only had 1 foot in. I'm sure of it.
          Resign our own guys!

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
            • Jul 2002

How about Wire?

Comment

• Patrick76777
              • Jul 2002

Oh sorry. Yeah, he didn't play.
              Resign our own guys!

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
                • Jul 2002

Who played in his place. Reese?

Comment

• Patrick76777
                  • Jul 2002

I think I read that they moved PP over and had Reese take PP's spot. But like I said, I had a 2 year old and a 5 1/2 month old with me so it was tough to get all the details.
                  Resign our own guys!

Comment

• fabolouspaul
                    • Oct 2002

How was Takeo? Was he running around like a mad man out there?
                    LA needs a football team so that I can watch a Bills game live.

Comment

• The_Philster
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by fabolouspaul
                      How was Takeo? Was he running around like a mad man out there?
                      Yeah...the entire front 7 seemed to be flowing to the ball rather well.
                      The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• Patrick76777
                        • Jul 2002

where did you sit Phil?
                        Resign our own guys!

Comment

• The_Philster
                          • Jul 2002

section 127, I believe...I'd have to find the ticket..row 29
                          The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• justasportsfan
                            • Jul 2002

I am not jumping on the wys bandwagon but Drew scares me. He can go from player of the game to a goat at any moment. He just has to learn how not to keep trying to force balls. The great thing about Moulds is that you don't have to throw the ball right at his nos. Throw it up in the air and he usually comes down with it even at a jump ball. This is what made Flutie look good even though all he did was throw it up and let Moulds do the rest.
                            sacrifice1
                            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• IHateTheDullphins
                              New and Improved!!
                              • Aug 2003

Our D is Nasty. Just Nasty. week 3 will be excellent!! yes....excellent.
                              Leads? Yeah, sure. I'll...uh...just check with the boys down at the crimelab. Yeah, they got four more detectives on the case....we're working in shifts!"

Comment

Working...
                              X