PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Else Think that...

WG
09-16-2002, 10:21 AM
...Gilbride isn't exactly doing a stellar job?

I know where scoring in droves, but I gotta tell ya, I think it has more to do w/ the monstrous assemblage of talent on the field than it does w/ the offensive scheming and play-calling.

I'm not seeing a lot of imagination or "element of surprise" on the part of KG. Especially on key downs/situations.

LtBillsFan66
09-16-2002, 10:23 AM
No not me.

JayWood
09-16-2002, 10:30 AM
I really like the game plan that Gilbride has brought into the two games so far. He can mix it up, and keep the other team guessing. Good job so far!!

BillsMan80
09-16-2002, 10:34 AM
He has been great IMO except for one choice which was to pass inside the Vikes 20 in OT.

Earthquake Enyart
09-16-2002, 10:34 AM
I can't look at him without thinking about Buddy Ryan punching him.

Kelly The Dog
09-16-2002, 10:37 AM
We stink Wys. We're 2nd or 3rd (dependent upon if Wash gets 400+ yards tonight) in offense, first in scoring, scored on all five of our two-minute drills this year, had the best passing performance in team history, have the top passer, the top receiver, a top ten running back, all the players are publicly giving Gilbride blowjobs in the press for his offense and play-calling, let's fire KG right now before he becomes #1 in all categories.

Patrick76777
09-16-2002, 10:45 AM
75 points in 2 games....ummmmmm.....it took us to week 6 to get 75 points last year......we're almost perfect in the Red Zone. Nawwww I think he's doing OK. Sure he didn't score on every drive.

bduff54
wys you can't argue with the #1 offense in the NFL

WG
I see only a plain drop-back set-up w/ some very predictable play-calling at times. No real scheming. Just plain blocking and Drew making plays w/ his arm.

I'm tellin' ya, we're doing this on pure talent. Nothing more. KG acts like he's trying to keep the game tied w/ some of his redzone play-calling. It's ridiculous! He needs to start adopting the Spurrier philosophy w/ the team we have. Try for TDs at all times. It almost seems as if we never want to get too far ahead. Only to keep up, or go up by 3 or 4.

Drew can't play like this every single week. It won't happen. Nor is it realistic to expect that he will. Especially when you consider that we've played two of last year's, and this, worst Ds.

KG's lack of creativity will cost us!

Can anyone name a handful of specific plays that were out of the ordinary? I can't.

These ridiculous screens to the WRs are getting old. Henry up the middle when the entire known world (including the D) is expecting it is silly.

Our O is just that good that it can score that many points by simply playing a normal traditional game. In games that were are prevented from scoring so much, KG's gonna have to come up w/ something a bit more than this bland O.

Thank Drew for the team's offensive success thus far. Not KG.

WG
09-16-2002, 10:48 AM
I'm just tellin' ya, we won't be #1 for long if KG doesn't become a little more creative. Just like Bills fans to start whooping it up about being #1 in O after two weeks after playing two of the worst Ds in the league.

Denver's this week!! I'm tellin' ya now, they'll set up for Drew. If KG doesn't come into the game fresh, we'll lose easily. Drew's been splendid!!! But again, it's totally unrealistic to think that he can do it week in and week out w/ a plain 5/7 step drop and some shotgun. It won't happen against the better teams in the league!

Enjoy your euphoria however after having played two of the easiest teams on our schedule this year!

;)

Ð
09-16-2002, 10:49 AM
All of a sudden Spurrious is a frickin' genius? The season's only one game old for Spurrious :D

ArcticWildMan
09-16-2002, 10:50 AM
Wys...our resident optimist :D

Kelly The Dog
09-16-2002, 10:52 AM
So he should resort to gimmickry and inventive plays just to be inventive and unpredictable when everything he has tried so far has worked? We have 80 points and 850 yards in two games. If someone stops us maybe he should rethink. Both the last second TD's, by the way, the Moulds one in week one and the Peerless one, were basically sandlot plays made up by Gilbride. They weren't regular calls. He set them both up by his previous calls. Drew and Peerless both said it.

Drewpac
09-16-2002, 10:54 AM
What kind of plays would you like to see him call. Why run gadget plays when you don't need them. Those are tricks that teams without as much offensive talent "NEED" to use. The Bills OBVIOUSLY are getting the job done with a traditional attack; why run some risky play when you don't need to?

LtBillsFan66
09-16-2002, 10:56 AM
Gilbride did run play action vs the Jets. Also a reverse and a fake reverse. Why tinker with what is working. We obviously didn't need any in the Vikes game. Like KTD said We have 80 points and 850 yards in two games.

Ð
09-16-2002, 10:57 AM
Silly rabbit, Trix are for kids.

Play vanilla until the playoffs, then bring out the bag 'o trix.

LtBillsFan66
09-16-2002, 10:59 AM
Plus you need to establish a run game first before running play action. Like we did with the Jets. But the run game was stuffed vs the Vikes, so that wouldn't work.

I think gilbride is doing just fine.

John Doe
09-16-2002, 11:01 AM
Wow! Just think about how many yards our offense would have racked up with some creative play-calling! 600? 700? The sky's the limit!

WG
09-16-2002, 11:06 AM
Again, not sure what game your watching Kelly. Everything that we tried didn't work! That's my point.

I saw Henry get stuffed on a 3rd and goal a the 1 once when the entire world knew what the call would be. Why not try something that the Vike D wasn't expecting? At that point, the game was tied at 20. Why not try for the TD?

Frankly, and maybe my standards are a tad higher than yours, I would have liked a TD on that drive instead of a FG. We were forced to punt 5 times in regulation vice the Vikes 1, and we settled for 4 FGs when TDs were distinct possibilities. If Rogers doesn't runback that TD and our D doesn't score a TD, then our O only puts up 2 TDs all day other than O/T. Vs. Minnesota???

Drew's play is what's making this O click. Not any invention on Gildbride's part. That much will show as we get into the meat of our schedule. That starts this week w/ Denver. Being number 1 thus far is meaningless as far as next week's game is concerned. Denver I'm sure isn't quaking as a result of our #1 ranking. I'm sure they're drooling over our #32 ranking on D however.

I'd like to see an OC for a change not afraid to try and go up by 20!

Novacane
09-16-2002, 11:06 AM
Wys...............there are things to still be concerned about with this team. Kevin Gilbrides game plans are not one of them!

Thats like someone saying you Wys Guy xxx-hot is not that hot while they are chugging a gallon of milk!

WG
09-16-2002, 11:07 AM
I think Gilbride's shortcomings, or at least a temporary lack of imagination, are gonna come home to roost in spades beginning this week. The O that we've been playing is solvable w/ a good D. We haven't played a good D.

Given that it is "solved", a little more in the way of creativity is going to have to come from KG or we'll start losing as a practice. Our D isn't good enough to hold teams under 30.

WG
09-16-2002, 11:10 AM
B2R46,

Not really. We'll see...

BTW, can you name anything that he's done??

All I see is Drew threading a needle and playing very, very well. I certainly don't see any unusual routes, unexpected play calls, or the like.

I mean if you think that KG is doing anything other than what anyone could do, then what is it???

Name some plays that you would deem as exceptional from a design standpoint???

I see standard drops, routes, etc. w/ some outstanding play and passing by Drew. That has nothing to do w/ KG! Nothing.

It's Drew and the O making him look good. Any monkey can tell Drew, Moulds, Price, and Reed to go out and play standard proset ball! The ones performing are them, not KG!

Novacane
09-16-2002, 11:13 AM
Wys................IT's Working! WHy do anything else! When they stop what he is calling he can try something else! You are impossible to please!

Kelly The Dog
09-16-2002, 11:19 AM
I apologize, Wys, you're right. My bad. We had 14 possessions, and at 7 points per possession, we should have scored 98 points. Those extra 54 points were just wasted by Gilbride's Pop Warner playbook and play-calling. I can't believe with 50 plays we didn't score 50 touchdowns, that's just bad play-calling, because you never know in games six years from now when you may needed 350 points. Perhaps we should cut Henry the next play that he is tackled. Those plays are designed to score.

mackey789
09-16-2002, 11:19 AM
honostly, whoever thinks gilbride isnt calling a good game needs to get of the crack they are on.....come on folks!!!!!!!!! We put up 31 and 45 pts in 2 games, and we are #1 on offence for the first time in god knows how long. Quit your god damn complaining and look on the bright side for once.

mackey789
09-16-2002, 11:22 AM
WYS needs to get with it and stop bickering about the offence. I would be WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY more concerned about the defence. Most coordinators would have insisted on running all game. I promise you that if we wouldve done that yesterday we would have lost big. Instead he countered minnesotas pass happy offence with one of our owns. We have the best offence in the league hands down right now. Whether its henry, bledsoe, or a combo of the 2...we can score on anyone.

Judge
09-16-2002, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
...Gilbride isn't exactly doing a stellar job?

I know where scoring in droves, but I gotta tell ya, I think it has more to do w/ the monstrous assemblage of talent on the field than it does w/ the offensive scheming and play-calling.

I'm not seeing a lot of imagination or "element of surprise" on the part of KG. Especially on key downs/situations.

RIDICULOUS!

How about the KG decision to go no-huddle in OT?! That was a shocker to the Vikings- they were on their heels all OT!

e-mo4life
09-16-2002, 11:33 AM
i am A LOT more concerned about the defense...although i must say i somewhat agree with WYS in that we should not need to be playing catch-up all the time..we need to come in stronger, especially with all the weapons we have..but i'm not complaining. i just wish they could maintain a solid lead

Judge
09-16-2002, 11:34 AM
PS-

Usually, it isn't about how creative or tricky you are- it's about how well-prepared you are and how well you execute.

Give KG credit for getting his offense ready to execute, and for the players to go out and do it.

Novacane
09-16-2002, 11:35 AM
Amen Judge! This is the most ridiculas thing to complain about!

Earthquake Enyart
09-16-2002, 11:47 AM
Wys, I agree with you on the 3rd and 1 at the goal. They called a draw from a power formation with the defense stacked on the line. That's plain silly. That was about the only point Brent Jones made that I agreed with.

Kelly The Dog
09-16-2002, 11:51 AM
I agree that was a questionable call, too, a draw... and said it when it happened. What i'm objecting to is to just nitpick one play here and one play there that doesn't work when we're basically an offensive juggernaut. Every play is not going to be perfect, or score. How can anyone in their right mind complain about play-calling that averaging 40 points and 425 yards per?

Earthquake Enyart
09-16-2002, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Kelly The Dog
I agree that was a questionable call, too, a draw... and said it when it happened. What i'm objecting to is to just nitpick one play here and one play there that doesn't work when we're basically an offensive juggernaut. Every play is not going to be perfect, or score. How can anyone in their right mind complain about play-calling that averaging 40 points and 425 yards per?

That's just the way he is. He does make a few good points though. Where I disagree is that what little trickery they have tried has blown up in their faces.

LtBillsFan66
09-16-2002, 12:11 PM
wys - I'm glad your standards for judging an OC are a "tad" higher than your standards for judging RJ.

Give it up bro. You are alone in your thinking. You are dead wrong.

Novacane
09-16-2002, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by BillsFanOne
wys - I'm glad your standards for judging an OC are a "tad" higher than your standards for judging RJ.

Give it up bro. You are alone in your thinking. You are dead wrong.

:bravo:

Michael82
09-16-2002, 01:09 PM
Actually while I don't agree with Wys on all his points, I do think that our offense needs some more fakes and play action. I saw the Patriots game yesterday and the OC looked like a freaking mad man! He was doing screens, run, pass, fake snap, fake pass, play action. This made the Jets defense unaware of Charlie Weiss' next move. It was a fun offense to watch. I love our offense and have confidence in Gilbride. I just hope that he will make the neccessary changes when it's not working.

Rude American
09-16-2002, 01:14 PM
I agree with wys on this one. Passing on 1st and 5 on the 20 in OT was the stupidist thing I've ever seen. One strike is one strike too many, especially in this case. Gilbride is simply riding the coat tails of a great QB who has two great receivers. I thought that last week too. Why were we going up the middle with time running down. Throw to the sidelines. Gilbride is bad for business.

LtBillsFan66
09-16-2002, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Mike32282
Actually while I don't agree with Wys on all his points, I do think that our offense needs some more fakes and play action. I saw the Patriots game yesterday and the OC looked like a freaking mad man! He was doing screens, run, pass, fake snap, fake pass, play action. This made the Jets defense unaware of Charlie Weiss' next move. It was a fun offense to watch. I love our offense and have confidence in Gilbride. I just hope that he will make the neccessary changes when it's not working.

I agree. But it is way to early to call gilbride unimaginative. Look at the #'s we put up. We didn't need too much of it. He stuck with what was working.

And I'll say it again. We did rum play-action, screens, etc against the Jets.

And how is this. Everyone is raggin on KB (rightfully so) for the one "unexpected" pass play at the end. Do we just throw our imagination out the window when we please???

Ingtar33
09-16-2002, 01:58 PM
Wys you may be overreacting a tad bit, and overestimating what a good offensive plan should look like.

Gilbride (while I have never liked his style of O being more partial to some smash mouth myself) has demonstrated more flexibility, and quicker adjustments to the opposing D than I ever expected.

Listen, Gilbride's O is a passing system unique unto himself, which he first attempted with the Oilers and then perfected with the Jags. It is what is called a variable passing system, and in many ways is even more complicated than the WCO. It is predicated upon silent rout calls at the line of scrimmage (sometimes during the play), which the receivers make and the QB reads. His passing system has very few called routs (in the huddle). What Gilbride does (in this system) is call a formation, a pass or run, and anything specific he wants done in the form of rout 'packages', everything else is the scripted version of sandlot ball. Thus far it is apparent that Gilbride was able to impart this system quite successfully to his WR and QB, in such a short time that the O has looked like it is in midseason form. The advantage of Gilbride's O is that it allows the team to exploit coverage weaknesses on a play by play basis. What I've seen in the first two games is a very versitile offense, with a coordinator who is not afraid to abandon one facet of the game and run with what is working (week 1, the running game was favored over the pass in nearly every close yardage situation, and redzone appearance while we just saw him drop the run to exploit the Min D).

The gadget and running plays tend to be more mundane (as there is no system unique to Gilbride for this), but yet again he has used the WR screen to get the O into gear when the passing attack is misfiring (to great success so far). This is a coordinator who, thus far seams to do a great job managing his players, and finds a way to keep his O focused throughout the game. He has managed the flow of play very well, showing us the difference between a quality and experienced OC and a newbie like Shepard.

Drewpac
09-16-2002, 02:08 PM
Amen Ingtar33!!!

timfromjersey
09-16-2002, 02:21 PM
Ingtar,

Wow, I'm going to have to start calling you Professor Ingtar.

you and someone earlier touched on some important points. An OC job is more about exploiting weaknesses, creating mismatches and utilizing the offensive talents of the star players, than it is about trickery. One of my main complaints in the Pendry/ Flutie era. Also making the correct adjustments on the go, usually a staple ability in top flight coaching personnel.

Wys... are you just playing devils advocate here?

Or are you just slightly irascible while posting 'cause you have an itch, in your Knee cast, you just can't reach.

timfromjersey
09-16-2002, 02:57 PM
Ingtar,

you would know...

What team was Gilbride on when he had that fight with Buddy Ryan?

What it Houston?

justasportsfan
09-16-2002, 03:06 PM
I don't know about you guys but I want the WCO offense back. Look at how the 49'ers and the Jets did. :drinker:

Captain gameboy
09-16-2002, 03:21 PM
With all due respect, I couldn't disagree with you more, Wys. Creativity, surprise? Didn't Harvey Johnson try that with OJ? Don't give him the ball, make him a decoy-we'll show 'em.
We've got an eight + year QB with an accurate arm and a great rep. Two experienced WR's with decent hands, and a rookie WR that seems to have it all, except speed. Our line is incredibly young and playing way over it's head. In the first game we run from three wides and get a career day from a very good RB. In the second game, we run middle-deep patterns to exploit one on ones. Thus far, we've enjoyed great success. Everyone is happy, most are on fire. The single greatest difference between this team and those of the last three years is offensive production, and you don't think the OC is creative enough? Man, I don't get it.

The_Philster
09-16-2002, 03:26 PM
Draw plays on short yardage are completely ridiculous in my opinion. The defense knows you're not trying to get much.

LtBillsFan66
09-16-2002, 03:30 PM
It was Houston Jerseytim/

Captain gameboy
09-16-2002, 03:30 PM
Bye the way Wys, if you stand by your stated point that Gilbride is doing it solely based on talent, then you must, by logical necessity, retract your previous opinions about Bledsoe. The offense is doing it with about the same group. The line has been rejiggered and added big Mike, and Josh Reed is a rookie with eight NFL quarters under his belt. It's either Gilbride or Blesoe. I think it's both, you have to make your choice. Where were you/are you wrong. With all due respect, I think Bledsoe is outstanding and Gilbride is doing great.
They will both have their bad days until the defense wins a game on it's own, but right now, I think you're 0 for 2.

casdhf
09-16-2002, 03:32 PM
Well, at least Wys still isn't saying that Travis Brown should be the starter :D

mchurchfie
09-16-2002, 03:46 PM
Hmmm...I don't remember the K-gun ever being that tricky and it was one of the most prolific offenses around. Wys, there is more to being an OC than running a reverse and having Moulds throw a pass out of it (ala Andre Reed) or whatever trickery you have in mind that you were so disappointed in not seeing. First you have to mold an offense around the talent you have of which he has done nicely. What offense did Drew thrive in in his hayday?...down the field to his wideouts with a power running game. So far Gilbride has put in DB a position which has made him happy and product along with the rest of the players. The key here is that all or most of the players have bought into his system.

Also, this is a very young offense which is still just running KG's system on a more scaled down version. Let's get them up to speed running the full package and doing the basics good before you start inundating them with all of these trick plays. Also Wys, you say that KG is just benefiting from all of the talent (you talk like they are all Probowlers??) and their sheer ability on the field. NEWSFLASH!!...this is pretty much the same core of talent that has been sputtering out on the field for the last two years..except for Drew, who is HUGE, but of course, you never wanted him either. I am sure that this offense will evolve and run different things catering to the player's abilities...patience my friend, patience.