X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The_Philster
    • Jul 2002

Stram's induction turns gray skies to blue

CANTON, Ohio - There are few places gloomier than Canton when it rains. When the sun shines, Canton looks more or less like most towns in northern Ohio, complete with brick houses and neat yards and factories and hard-working people and potholes in the road.

When it rains, though, Canton turns bleak.

It rained Sunday. It rained and rained. The field was drenched. Security guards confiscated umbrellas. Mud was on everyone's shoes. And when they wheeled out Hank Stram for his induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, it looked as if this might turn out to be the most depressing day in the 40-year history of the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

more
    The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!
  • The_Philster
    • Jul 2002

Text of Hank Stram's speech

Thank you, Lenny, for your kind words, for your friendship, for your talent and for your leadership. You are the greatest.

"The honor I am receiving today -- being inducted into the Hall of Fame -- is beyond what words can describe. My thanks to the Hall of Fame committee who saw fit to bestow this great honor upon me today. And Lamar Hunt, what a great owner, what a dear friend.

"I am here today because you, Lamar, provided me with the opportunity to be your head coach for 141/2 years. Throughout my coaching career, I have been so fortunate to be surrounded by so many great players and coaches from Purdue University, to SMU, to Notre Dame, the University of Miami, the Dallas Texans, the Kansas City Chiefs and the New Orleans Saints.

more
    The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• The_Philster
      • Jul 2002

Stram induction ceremony

Stram's induction is a hit
      CANTON, Ohio - Health problems prevented Hank Stram from walking to the podium and delivering a live speech Sunday afternoon. But that didn't stop the greatest coach in Chiefs history from moving the crowd inside Canton's Fawcett Stadium.

Stram officially joined the ranks of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, an honor long overdue for a man who coached in two of the first four Super Bowls. The look of pure happiness on Stram's face said the wait was well worth it.

Sitting in a wheelchair, surrounded by friends, family, peers and former players, the 80-year old Stram expressed his appreciation through a previously taped speech that was interspersed with highlights from Stram's glory days guiding the Chiefs.
      more

Comment

• The_Philster
        • Jul 2002

Stram was vocal part of Super Bowl history

He changed the Super Bowl. There's no doubt about it. Everybody talks about Joe Namath, and absolutely, Broadway Joe deserves his mark in Super Bowl history. But so does Hank Stram. Because it was Stram who ran up and down the sidelines during Super Bowl IV, screaming about his legendary play -- 65 Toss Power Trap -- and that changed the game, too. Made the game personal.

It's some of the best footage in sports history.

There is only one thing that bothers me about it.

Who the heck was Rex?

more By JOE POSNANSKI Columnist

Comment

• The_Philster
          • Jul 2002

Saluting a quintet

No dry eyes at emotional Hall of Fame enshrinement
          CANTON, Ohio (AP) -- Hank Stram was pushed to the front of the stage in a wheelchair, wearing his newest blazer as 115 of the NFL's greatest names welcomed him.

The 80-year-old Stram, too weak to stand or walk on his own, then watched his prerecorded induction speech that showed a fiery, charismatic and innovative coach who would one day wind up in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

On a Sunday filled with emotional speeches, Stram's was the shortest, sweetest and most touching as he was enshrined into the Hall of Fame along with Marcus Allen, James Lofton, Elvin Bethea and Joe DeLamielleure.
          more

Comment

Working...
          X