PDA

View Full Version : Will we get a compensatory pick from the NFL if McGahee sits out all year?

Stewie
08-04-2003, 07:33 PM
:maggie:

Stewie
08-04-2003, 08:00 PM
Well? Somebody here's gotta know... If he re-enters the draft, do we get a pick back in 2003?

Novacane
08-04-2003, 08:03 PM
No.......but don't worry.............TD will sign him soon.

casdhf
08-04-2003, 08:36 PM
no

Ebenezer
08-04-2003, 09:32 PM
correct, the answer is no.

Stewie
08-04-2003, 11:32 PM
That sucks, think rosenhaus and mcgahee would do it?

If he can somehow get the nfl public thinking he's ready to play, maybe he could go top 5 or 10 next year.

BADTHINGSMAN
08-04-2003, 11:39 PM
It would be hard to convince teams to take WM in the 1st round next year.. They will see the trouble the Bills have with his agent and they will shy away from him.. WM has gotta understand his agent wants the money and doesnt seem to care much for WM.. He hasnt shown me an ounce of concern..

Dozerdog
08-04-2003, 11:57 PM
Plus the draft is deeper, and if Maurice Clarrett comes out...McGahee has even more competition.

TThis kind of panic is Waaaayyyy too premature.

Bo Jackson was drafted #1 overall by Tampa Bay in the mid 80's ( I want to say 1984 off the top of the head)- he refused to sign and went to the Royals instead...his rights relapsed back into the draft- the Raiders picked him the following year with a 6th rounder.

TheGhostofJimKelly
08-05-2003, 06:55 AM
Going into next years draft is just Rosenhous being, well, Rosenhous. It isn't an easy contract but I can see it getting done in the next week or two.

Stewie
08-05-2003, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
Plus the draft is deeper, and if Maurice Clarrett comes out...McGahee has even more competition.

TThis kind of panic is Waaaayyyy too premature.

Bo Jackson was drafted #1 overall by Tampa Bay in the mid 80's ( I want to say 1984 off the top of the head)- he refused to sign and went to the Royals instead...his rights relapsed back into the draft- the Raiders picked him the following year with a 6th rounder.

It's not panic, it's just covering all the bases.

I guarantee you Donahoe has played this scenario out in his head. He's too smart not to consider all the possibilites, even the remote ones...

HenryRules
08-05-2003, 09:48 AM
I think McGahee was great in college, but if he re-enters the draft, he won't even be the best running back out of Miami next season - that'll be Frank Gore who looked fully recovered in the spring.

TigerJ
08-05-2003, 04:38 PM
Having his client sit out the year would be the biggest mistake of Drew Rosenhaus' career for the following reasons.

1. Until McGahee actually plays, no team can be fully assured that his recovery is 100%. Rosenhaus' own past has damaged his credibility, so no one has any clear cut reason to believe him when he does say his client is recovered.

2. The strength of the draft in the running back position next year.

3. Having been out of football for a full year can only degrade McGahee's draftability next year regardless of any questions about his knee.

He'll be drafted lower and Drew will have to negotiate a contract from a position of greater weakness than he is in now. I wouldn't be surprised if McGahee fired him if he can't get a contract done by the Nov 11 deadline (for McGahee to be able to play in 2003).

Bert102176
08-06-2003, 12:18 PM
I have a feeling he will sign before the last preseason game

Throne Logic
08-06-2003, 12:49 PM
OK, what did I miss? Do draftees go back into the drafting pool if they aren't signed by November 11th? That's nuts. Why the heck would the NFL have a rule like this? And why the heck don't Cincinnati's picks just sit out a year?

WG
08-06-2003, 12:49 PM
I'm still confused then...

Given all this talk on this thread, then Why the heck did we even bother drafting him then?

All I heard at the time was how he was a gimme NFL starter and RBs like him come along only every so many years!

NOW, there are two or three RBs better than him next year, etc.

This doesn't spell out that drafting McGahee was some sort of monumental move from a strategy standpoint.

I'm more and more regretting that we didn't select William Joseph, who's signed and will contribute this year!

WG
08-06-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Throne Logic
OK, what did I miss? Do draftees go back into the drafting pool if they aren't signed by November 11th? That's nuts. Why the heck would the NFL have a rule like this? And why the heck don't Cincinnati's picks just sit out a year?

My sentiments exactly TL!! Detroit's too, the Cincy of the NFC!

WG
08-06-2003, 12:51 PM
That'd be a ballbuster tho, gettin' signed by the Bungals one year, sitting out, then getting grabbed by the Lions!

OUCH!

Throne Logic
08-06-2003, 12:57 PM
:lolcry: , Wys.

:hitself: