Why is the "big play threat" so important?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Judge
    • Aug 2002

Why is the "big play threat" so important?

I hope some of you saw James Lofton's highlight reel this weekend. Marv Levy called him the missing link to the K-Gun offense.

You gotta have a viable vertical passing game. Drew's the man at that passing offense. Moulds, Reed, maybe Charles Johnson or Bobby Shaw, with Drew slinging them downfield- a helluva complement to Travis Henry! Makes both more lethal.
    Argue like hell. Keep it clean. And when it's over, shake hands and root for our team!
  • mikemac2001
    is the creepy cross dresser staring at you in the corner
    • Mar 2003

cant wait

MUCK
    FIAMI

Comment

• Wys Guy
      Drew and Sam stole all my hair
      • Jul 2002

Yeah, you need to have all the other "facets" of the passing game too, no?

"Vertical Passing games" have never won a SB for a team.

90%+ of all passes in a season aren't deep balls. You need an efficient non-error making QB if you can get one. The deep game can be important, but not at the expense of other aspects of that passing game.
      Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Wys Guy
        • Jul 2002

E.g., how many games did we win last year courtesy of the "big play deep passing game?"

I'd say one! The second Fins game. That's it! Even then, perhaps it was only made possible due to tremendous running by Henry keeping the D from dropping too many men!

We lost many trying to hit w/ that same "deep game" BTW.

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• ryven
          • Jan 2003

and the vikings game

Comment

• Judge
            • Aug 2002

We stayed around because of the vertical passing game in the Raiders game too. W/O the big play we would've been trampled- instead it was a shootout.

I'd have to check back when I have time, but I'm thinking that some other wins had some HUGE big play strikes that helped alot.
            Argue like hell. Keep it clean. And when it's over, shake hands and root for our team!

Comment

• MDFINFAN
              • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Wys Guy
              Yeah, you need to have all the other "facets" of the passing game too, no?

"Vertical Passing games" have never won a SB for a team.
              I think the Rams may disagree with you Wys

Reach for the stars

Comment

• TigerJ
                • Jul 2002

The "big play threat" has three purposes IMO.

1. When a team shows the capability of hitting the long bomb,
                defences have to account for it. That alone makes other shorter plays more open to the offence.

2. If a team gets significantly behind in a game, the big play gives it a more realistic chance of making a successful comeback.

3. Fans love it.

That said, I agree with Wys when he says that you have to have the other components in an offence to ultimately be successful. Last year, I think one facter that led to the offence sputtering late in the year is that other teams discovered Buffalo couldn't execute other aspects of their offence consistently enough to sustain a long scoring drive if they made a concerted effort, with some help from late fall/early winter weather, to shut down the deep pass.
                I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• venis2k1
                  Youboty can hope
                  • Jul 2002

The deep ball opens up the run. When they say "pass to open up the run" they dont mean 5 yard passes. this year i expect the run to open up the pass.

Comment

• Travis Hunter
                    • Jul 2002

How simple is this and a proven fact.
                    The deep threat backs off the safeties and opens up in the short to middle passing game, which in turn opens up the run.
                    That's why we need one good flat speed receiver, which Lofton was perfect at.
                    The threat of the long ball is still the missing link here.
                    Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• venis2k1
                      Youboty can hope
                      • Jul 2002

Jett.

Comment

• The_Philster
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by venis2k1
                        Jett.
                        I don't know...he didn't see much action in the scrimmage...he may be one of the first roster cuts.
                        The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• Wys Guy
                          • Jul 2002

Jett's washed up!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Wys Guy
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ryven
                            and the vikings game
                            No really ryven. The only real big pass play was in O/T. 1 D TD, 1 STs TD, and 4 FGs w/ only two regulation TDs weren't brought on by big plays.

Originally posted by Judge
                            We stayed around because of the vertical passing game in the Raiders game too. W/O the big play we would've been trampled- instead it was a shootout.

I'd have to check back when I have time, but I'm thinking that some other wins had some HUGE big play strikes that helped alot.
                            Good point Judge!! This is exactly what I'm talking about. In that game, it was the big play that killed us. It worked against us as it did more times than not. It's a great example of why we relied way too much on it.

Originally posted by MDFINFAN

I think the Rams may disagree with you Wys
                            I don't think so MD. Defense for the Rams that year ranked them 4th in scoring D and they were 3rd in the league rushing. Yes, they had some big plays, but the primary pass plays were short-medium and Faulk was a little bit of a factor too.

Originally posted by venis2k1
                            The deep ball opens up the run. When they say "pass to open up the run" they dont mean 5 yard passes. this year i expect the run to open up the pass.
                            It can open up the run venis. But the run also opens up the pass, which is something that Marv constantly stressed while he was here. It's more important to generate a rushing game than it is to generate a big play deep passing game. In fact, it gives you a better chance of winning when you can get your short passing game going first.

Short passing game passes are higher percentage, usually, w/ the right QB, and deep passes result in more errors. I simply don't know what to say if that wasn't clear from last year.

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Wys Guy
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Travis Hunter
                              How simple is this and a proven fact.
                              The deep threat backs off the safeties and opens up in the short to middle passing game, which in turn opens up the run.
                              That's why we need one good flat speed receiver, which Lofton was perfect at.
                              The threat of the long ball is still the missing link here.
                              Again, threat fine. But not going deep often as we did last year. As well, going deep is fine as long as your QB is deft at the other elements of the passing game.

I dare say that I'd wager money that of all the "premier" QBs in the league, Drew's thrown more INTs to DL-men or LBs than the rest of them big time. I have no idea, but his short-medium game isn't much better than average if you catch him on a good day.

Yeah, what you said is true, but it's conventional NFL wisdom that running the ball well is first and foremost preferred, secondly that the short passing game is higher percentage passes, and thirdly, you will make more mistakes when you go deep too often.

I think we're overrating the usefulness of having a strong deep component. Just look at Brady. He doesn't have Drew's cannon arm, but guess what, the team's played a lot better under him, and with less talent too, than it did under Drew w/ the deep game and cannon arm.

BTW, no need to go on an assault of Brady...

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X