PDA

View Full Version : Direct TV

Scott
08-05-2003, 06:02 AM
YAHOO!
I got my Direct TV dish installed last weekend with the NFL Sunday Ticket.
I will now be able to watch each and every Bills game (or any other team for that matter).
Best part is that I can charge my sister admission!

clumping platelets
08-05-2003, 06:16 AM
:snicker:

Thailog80
08-05-2003, 07:12 AM
Welcome to the 21st century man.

Aero II
08-05-2003, 07:20 AM
Directv ROCKS! :punk:

Bulldog
08-05-2003, 08:44 AM
What does the NFL Sunday Ticket cost? I have been thinking about ditching my cable and going with a dish. I have seen various deals, but what is the average cost of a package that has the ESPN's and Empire. Any info or feedback would be much appreciated.

Jan Reimers
08-05-2003, 08:50 AM
I've had it for years. It's up to $209, but you can pay it in 4 installments. After the first year, you get a discount - not sure exactly how much, perhaps $20.

Bulldog
08-05-2003, 08:55 AM
Did you think it was worth the money Jan? Do you still have your dish? What didn't you like about the dish as opposed to cable? Sorry for all the questions, just curious.

Ebenezer
08-05-2003, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Scott

that's cruel...she works hard for her money...

Earthquake Enyart
08-05-2003, 09:01 AM
$179 for long time customers like me. :bf1:

Anybody watch the preview for this season? Looks like it will be more "interactive". 4 games will be "enhansed" by having scores and stats all around the screen. :up:

muestafa1
08-05-2003, 09:02 AM
Direct TV is currently runnning a special for new subscribers

You pay for NFL Sunday ticket (4 payments of $60) and sign up for one year of service with local channels and they give you a two room system and 4 free months of service. The kicker is that the 4 free months is of their Total Choice Premier package which is normally $90 a month (includes all of the premium channels)

Just make sure you downgrade back to the package you signed up for after the four months or I think they'll leave you at the premier package and it's price tag...

It looks like this offer is valid through October... i'm waiting a little bit so I can get Christmas to fall within the free four months so I can watch all the Christmas Specials (I'm a Christma-holic)

More Info:
http://www.directv.com/Email2003/2room_NFL_W2F7/W2F7_2room_offer_nfl.html

Jan Reimers
08-05-2003, 09:03 AM
I was talking about the NFL Sunday Ticket. I think with DirecTV, ESPN comes with the basic package but you have to upgrade to get the regional sports networks, including Empire. I've had the DirecTV Platinum Plan, all sports packages and 4 recievers for so long I really don't know individual rates anymore. I pay over $200 per month, but that's a little extreme.

You should call DirecTV for details.

Jan Reimers
08-05-2003, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Bulldog
Did you think it was worth the money Jan? Do you still have your dish? What didn't you like about the dish as opposed to cable? Sorry for all the questions, just curious.

Obviously, I love DirecTV. There are 2 problems, however: It is subject to rain sheer, meaning you can lose the signal during heavy rain storms; and where I live in NC, it does not carry the local network stations, even though I am considered to be in their viewing area. This means I had to get waivers from the netwoks to get their programming - Fox and CBS granted them, but NBC and ABC did not. So I have to watch NBC and ABC on cable.

Ebenezer
08-05-2003, 09:25 AM
Direct sucks if you live in the hometown of the team you want to see...for example...in Buffalo, the Sabres games are blacked out if they are not sold out...when was the last time a hockey game was sold out.

R. Rich
08-05-2003, 09:46 AM
DirecTV was the FIRST thing we bought once we got our first home in 2001. That should tell you if it's worth it or not. Then again, we live in the Baltimore area and need it to see our teams (her Steelers and my Bills). Plus, we save a ton of money by not going out to the sports bars!

JJamezz
08-05-2003, 09:46 AM
Keep in mind you can subscribe to ONLY the Sunday Ticket if you want, without carrying one of their programming packages. Just a thought, if for some reason you wanted to keep your cable.

JJamezz
08-05-2003, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Ebenezer
Direct sucks if you live in the hometown of the team you want to see...for example...in Buffalo, the Sabres games are blacked out if they are not sold out...when was the last time a hockey game was sold out.

It used to be as easy as setting up your account with an out of state friend or relatives address... Apparently now the sports subscriptions require a phone line for that reason - which is strange since I haven't had one connected for probably 5 years - must be because my account with them is so old.

That said, I believe there probably are still ways around it, but its definitely more difficult.

lordofgun
08-05-2003, 10:15 AM
Like JJamezz said, just buy a dish and a receiver or two on Ebay and then you can keep your cable and get ONLY Sunday ticket on the dish. :up:

ArcticWildMan
08-05-2003, 10:19 AM
Hmmm...I had no idea you could get only the NFL package. I may look into that :up:

Bulldog
08-05-2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by ArcticWildMan
Hmmm...I had no idea you could get only the NFL package. I may look into that :up:

I may have to keep the basic cable($8/month, only 13 channels) and go with the deal mentioned earlier in this thread. While I would have to make the four payments of 59.99 for the NFL Ticket, my cable bill after that would only be around $45.00 per month. I am currently paying $65/month for digital cable through Time Warner and that is without the extras like HBO, Showtime or any of those other channels. And now I am supposed to shell out another $5-$7 a month to get Empire. Pretty much Time Warner can blow me! Bulldog :rock:Time Warner

vabillsfan
08-05-2003, 11:33 AM
DirecTV is great - my only issue is unlike cable, you can't watch one show and record another unless you get TiVO or DVR. That drives my wife crazy - she misses her faves while I'm hogging the tube with sports.

Sunday Ticket is totally worth it - and I too get it for $179 as a 3 year customer. Although it was only $149 last year! Ugh. But worth it to watch the Bills in Redsucks territory!

JJamezz
08-05-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog
I may have to keep the basic cable($8/month, only 13 channels) and go with the deal mentioned earlier in this thread. While I would have to make the four payments of 59.99 for the NFL Ticket, my cable bill after that would only be around $45.00 per month. I am currently paying $65/month for digital cable through Time Warner and that is without the extras like HBO, Showtime or any of those other channels. And now I am supposed to shell out another $5-$7 a month to get Empire. Pretty much Time Warner can blow me! Bulldog :rock:Time Warner

I hear ya man, I just ditched Comcast for a similar reason - but your cable is even more expensive than mine.. geesh..

Satellite is generally cheaper than cable as long as you only have it on one or two tv's. For you Bulldog, it'll be cheaper no matter what..

I wound up going with Dish Network because of the deal they were running - I've had it about 3 weeks, and no complaints, except it does go out when there's a downpour, but it only lasts for maybe 5 minutes. So now I have 2 dishes on the roof, one for Dish and one for Sunday Ticket.

vabillfan - you're right about having to watch what you're recording. If you get DirecTivo (through them), like you said, that solves it. Getting a regular Tivo or ReplayTV doesn't (not implying you didnt know that, just clarifying for other people).

DirecTivo is an extra $5 a month - and I would highly recommend it - you honestly won't be able to go back once you've used it. I dont know if theres any additional upfront fee for it - I'm assuming there is, in which case you could just get a second receiver on that same TV for $5 a month. Then just get an A/V switch, and watch that one while recording on the other.

northernbillfan
08-05-2003, 12:57 PM
I pay $80 a month for full cable service, and high speed internet, and I can also add the football package for $179.

I still prefer to go to Moe's every Sunday for football. No kids, no wife, no noise, and everygame on the screens. No channel changing.

Dozerdog
08-05-2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
$179 for long time customers like me. :bf1:

Anybody watch the preview for this season? Looks like it will be more "interactive". 4 games will be "enhansed" by having scores and stats all around the screen. :up:

I HOPE they do these extra "enhanced" games on a seperate channel. Sometimes you just want to watch the game without all the ESPN2 distractions crawling on the bottom.

What I'm getting wood over is the NFL channel. I hope they show a zillion of the old NFL films hilight reels and team yearbooks.

shelby
08-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Scott
YAHOO!
I got my Direct TV dish installed last weekend with the NFL Sunday Ticket.
I will now be able to watch each and every Bills game (or any other team for that matter).

You heartless bastard!!!!
:cynic:

:tongue:

Ebenezer
08-05-2003, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by shelby
You heartless bastard!!!!
:cynic:

:tongue:

:doh: that seals it...he ain't letting you in.

don137
08-05-2003, 06:49 PM
Only let her in if she serves you during every game...Just think your own personal waitress...

The_Philster
08-05-2003, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by don137
Only let her in if she serves you during every game...Just think your own personal waitress...

Yeah...I can see that happening. :lol:

Ebenezer
08-05-2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by don137

don...duck...she's going to get you for that one...

shelby
08-05-2003, 07:00 PM
my brother doesn't drink.
:nana:

lordofgun
I had DirecTV, but the Time Warner people came by, paid me $150 to switch back. Plus they only charge me $26/month for a year for digital cable. :snicker:

lordofgun

That's right, I don't drink. :up:

shelby
08-05-2003, 07:06 PM
:eek:

you mean......we're related????

that explains why you are so bright, funny, and cool.

:up:

Ebenezer
08-05-2003, 07:09 PM

lordofgun
08-05-2003, 07:12 PM

you mean......we're related????

that explains why you are so bright, funny, and cool.

:up:

I've missed you terribly all these years. Too bad I'm not coming to the opener. :idunno:

Jeff1220
08-05-2003, 09:38 PM
I just got DirecTV too. I'm paying less than what I was with regular cable, and I'll be able to watch the Bills in my own home without a bunch of heavy smoking, drinking Ravens fans. Great deal!

Ebenezer
08-05-2003, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Jeff1220
I just got DirecTV too. I'm paying less than what I was with regular cable, and I'll be able to watch the Bills in my own home without a bunch of heavy smoking, drinking Ravens fans. Great deal!

again, you don't live in Buffalo...if you live here and want to watch the hometowners...you lose!

don137
08-06-2003, 05:27 AM

He may not drink alcohol but he needs his chip bowl refilled, cold non-alcoholic beverage served and Wys chicken wings served to him Don't forget the napkin. Those wings can get messy :couch:
Don't forget service with a smile..

Scott
08-06-2003, 05:56 AM
I like the way you guys think! Anyone know what channel the Bills-Ravens game will be on?