PDA

View Full Version : 44 Years of Bills Football and only 6 in the HOF??

Earthquake Enyart
08-05-2003, 07:15 AM
OJ, Billy Shaw, Kelly, Marv, Joe D, and Lofton....

That's it.

Who else should be there? Mike Stratton? Sestak? McDole? Kemp? Shane Nelson? Smerlas? Haslett?

Probably once they are eligible, Thruman, Andre, and Bruce are in, but is there anyone else?

Earthquake Enyart
08-05-2003, 07:33 AM
How about Lou Sabin? Or Ralph?

R. Rich
08-05-2003, 07:36 AM
It's tough to call. I'd like to see Sestak, Stratton, or Kemp get in there, but if it hasn't happened by now, it may not. As for the 90s Bills, Bruce will get in for sure on the first ballot. Thurman probably will also get in on the first ballot as well. Andre willl get in some time, I believe, I just don't know if it will be first ballot or not.

R. Rich
08-05-2003, 07:37 AM
Lou Saban won't get in. Ralph probably will; I just hope they put him in during his lifetime. He's been close the last couple votings.

Patrick76777
08-05-2003, 07:40 AM
Hell, it was one forever. We have 5 in the past 3 or 4 years. And it's going to keep coming.

Don't forget that Tasker has an outside chance. Way outside, but a chance nonetheless. I think Kent Hull may also be considered but that would take longer.

R. Rich
08-05-2003, 08:11 AM
Kent Hull is the one I'd really like to see get into the Hall. I've always said if it weren't for the great centers in the AFC during his career (Matthews, Mosebar, Stepnoski, Dawson), he would've made a lot more than the 3 Pro Bowls he did make and would be a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame.

HenryRules
08-05-2003, 08:14 AM
R. Rich, I completely agree with you and was just about to post the same thing.

Unfortunately, I think with OL, the voters are going to end up relying on things like the # of pro bowls made as there aren't really any other ways for out-of-towners to notice/remember OL years after they've played, so I don't see Hull going in anytime soon at all.

Jan Reimers
08-05-2003, 08:17 AM
Sestak should be in, Stratton is a maybe, Kemp really didn't have the numbers. Ralph will get there, as will Bruce, Thurman, Andre, and perhaps Tasker.

R. Rich
08-05-2003, 08:20 AM
What they should do is look at the fact that despite playing in the same era as those centers (all multiple Pro Bowl selections), he still had a long career and made 3 Pro Bowls! I would vote him in without question. If he ever does get selected, I will go to Canton to see it.

Ebenezer
08-05-2003, 08:20 AM
Don't foget that for the most part this team sucked from 1968-1986...except OJ there were no HOFers on this team. The AFL Bills are stigmatized. Kemp may be the only one with a chance and by now he time is well gone. Saban is viewed as a vagabond who could not get along with anybody.

The only other members of the pre-1985 Bills with a chance are Ralph and Reggie McKenzie. JMO.

Patrick76777
08-05-2003, 08:22 AM
But remember that they put an old timer in every year. Kemp could come in under that rule.

Earthquake Enyart
08-05-2003, 08:36 AM
Kemp won 2 AFL titles.

Tasker was MVP in the Pro Bowl one year. I still can't believe he did that.

TheGhostofJimKelly
08-05-2003, 12:06 PM
I got into football when I was about 8 (1978) and I started going to the games in '82. There were some rough years back then. I just can't see there being any other Hall of Fame guys from back then. I think Bruce, Thurman, and Andre will eventually get in but I don't think Tasker is a shoe in. I hope they put Ralph in, Al Davis better be pushing for it too.

Jan Reimers
08-05-2003, 12:10 PM
I like Kemp, but his 2 AFL titles are probably not enough. I think he was a sub-50% passer most of his career. Like it or not, an HOF QB has to have the numbers.

The_Philster
08-05-2003, 05:32 PM
Sestak
Thurman
Reed
BRUCE
Ralph

maybes
Tasker
Smerlas
Originally posted by Patrick76777
Hell, it was one forever. We have 5 in the past 3 or 4 years. And it's going to keep coming. .
Actually 5 in 5 years
1999-Shaw
2001-Marv
2002-Kelly
2003-Joe D, Lofton

Originally posted by Patrick76777
But remember that they put an old timer in every year. Kemp could come in under that rule.
The seniors committee makes a nomination of someone who's been out of the league a specified number of years...that candidate is an automatic for the final 15...he usually makes the final cut as well.

Judge
08-06-2003, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart

That's it.

Who else should be there? Mike Stratton? Sestak? McDole? Kemp? Shane Nelson? Smerlas? Haslett?

Probably once they are eligible, Thruman, Andre, and Bruce are in, but is there anyone else?

Shane Nelson and Jim Haslett?! Uh, no.... Good players but not HOF level. Not even Bills Wall of Fame material, in my book.

The only potential HOF candidates from the pre-1990 era are the defensive stars of the 1960's AFL champions. That was a tremendous defensive team and you'd think a rep from that team could be considered to honor the accomplishment.

Otherwise, the only other HOF candidates are from the 1990's era. Bruce and Thurman are sure bets in my opinion. Maybe Andre Reed, but he's hurt by the other great WR candidates of his era who could be eligible at around the same time as he is. Nobody else- Tasker's a gimmicky choice but in my opinion overrated. I used to think Cornelius Bennett had the makings of a HOFer but I don't anymore.

On this team, Drew Bledsoe is a potential HOFer if he keeps playing at the level he is, and particularly if he's the starting QB on a highly successful Bills run at the elusive Super Bowl win. Ruben Brown is a likely sure bet in light of the # of Pro Bowl appearances, too.

Let's face it- in the 20-year period from 1967-1988 there weren't too many high points. The teams that did do well don't have any worthwhile HOFers other than the guys who are already in.

Judge
08-06-2003, 11:12 AM
PS- Add Ralph Wilson to that list- my bet is that he goes in next year.

Ebenezer
08-06-2003, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Judge
The only potential HOF candidates from the pre-1990 era are the defensive stars of the 1960's AFL champions.

I've always said there should be someway to honor that defensive unit...although it was before my time I have talked with enough people and read enough to know they were the best Bills defense ever and possibly the best the AFL ever knew.

Cowboy
08-06-2003, 11:50 AM

That's it.

without reading this thread, I can only offer two little words as to why this is the case...

super

&

bowl

Ebenezer
08-06-2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Cowboy
without reading this thread, I can only offer two little words as to why this is the case...
super
&
bowl

only super bowl winners can be HOFers?? who let you in??

Rude American
08-06-2003, 12:09 PM
don't kid yourself, Eb. He's right. That stuff on a resume helps a lot. Apparently more than you know.

Bert102176
08-06-2003, 12:11 PM
I wanna see Tasker deffinetly Ralph gets in this year and Thurman if he can be nominated this year.

Ebenezer
08-06-2003, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Rude American
don't kid yourself, Eb. He's right. That stuff on a resume helps a lot. Apparently more than you know.

ok, cowboy...stick to hockey and ride off into the hills.

Rude American
08-06-2003, 12:40 PM
believe what you want.

cordog
08-06-2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers
I like Kemp, but his 2 AFL titles are probably not enough. I think he was a sub-50% passer most of his career. Like it or not, an HOF QB has to have the numbers.

Look at Bradshaw, he was a sub-50% passer, and Namath threw more INTs that TDs. But they have the rings and i guess that makes you a HOF

Earthquake Enyart
08-06-2003, 02:13 PM
Can anybody name a QB that won 2 titles and is NOT in the HOF?

Kemp's numbers aren't all that different than Namath's, and Kemp had 40 rushing TD's which was a record for a long time.

R. Rich
08-06-2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by cordog

Look at Bradshaw, he was a sub-50% passer, and Namath threw more INTs that TDs. But they have the rings and i guess that makes you a HOF

Yep. The rings vs performance thing is always kinda funny with the hall selections. For years, Tommy McDonald kept getting dissed by the hall because even though he had great numbers, he didn't have the championships. Meanwhile, Lynn Swann had the championships (including a Super Bowl MVP award) but couldn't get in either. So, when they finally let McDonald into the hall, it was just a matter of time before Swann followed. That way, they don't seem as hypocritical.

Ebenezer
08-06-2003, 02:22 PM
Can anybody name a QB that won 2 titles and is NOT in the HOF?

Kemp's numbers aren't all that different than Namath's, and Kemp had 40 rushing TD's which was a record for a long time.

I can't disagree...all I can say is AFL stigma??

Dozerdog
08-06-2003, 03:25 PM
Kemp-

Interesting stat- led his teams to 5 of the first 7 AFL title games, and was the ONLY QB in the AFL to be a starter from the inception to the Merger (1960-1969)

He also had 40 rushing TDs. Will only get in as a sentimental old timer or if he becomes President. Great winning accomplishments but his stats weren't great...he threw a zillion interceptions.

HoF Locks- Thurm, Bruce Smith, Reed,

Make a good case for-
Ralph Wilson,
Tasker (Best player ever at his position- revolutionized it)
Bledsoe.... (His statistical numbers alone rank him ahead of Kelly at this stage of their careers, as well as a dozen QBs in the Hall)
Kent Hull
Van Miller as a broadcaster

Outside chance-
Moulds (at his current pace for 4-5 more seasons)
Cornelius Bennett
Steve Christie (one of the most accurate in NFL History)

Long Long Long shots
Reuben Brown
Reggie McKenzie

Earthquake Enyart
08-06-2003, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog

He also had 40 rushing TDs. Will only get in as a sentimental old timer or if he becomes President. Great winning accomplishments but his stats weren't great...he threw a zillion interceptions.

I want to say he also held the record for most fumbles in a season :eek:

But in that era, the passing game was much different.... completion percentages were lower (no WCO offenses with short passing games), defenders could bump and run making coverages tighter......His numbers stand up with others of that era.

cordog
08-06-2003, 05:26 PM
The football HOF is better than the rest of the pro sports HOFs but it is still just a popularity contest. There are alot of people in that if you look just at their stats, your curious as to how great they really were.