X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TigerJ
    • Jul 2002

Critical training camp questions

Every training camp, certain questions have to be answered. The eventual answers may have less to do with the success or failure of the upcoming season than the future beyond the next season. This is my take on the questions facing the Bills in this training camp.

1. Who will win the back battle at QB? So far it looks like AVP by default. For some reason TB seems to be regressing despite the fact that the Bills really wanted him to win out. If TB doesn't catch fire, Buffalo may be looking long and hard for someone with some upside.

2. Will the Bills carry a fourth RB, and who will it be. TH and Gary are set. I think Morris is the probable #3. I'd like Simonton to get a shot because he's so different from the rest of them, but Burns looks like he has a leg up so far.

3. Will McGahee sign and be placed on PUP?

4. Will the WR corps get any new blood besides Shaw? Moulds, Reed, and Shaw are locks to make the team. There are probably two remaining spots and a slim possibility of a third if Buffalo carries 6 WRs. The leading candidates seem to be Johnson, Aiken, and Coleman. We haven't heard much from Rone this camp. I'd love to see a burner like Antonio Brown, but he seems to be this year's Maurice Jackson (a rookie FA last year who was small but ran a 4.18 40 and never had a real shot).

5. Will the third TE be Neufeld or Thomas? Neufeld seems to have the inside track at this point.

6. How many offensive linemen will the Bills carry since Dorenbos seems a lock to be the team's long snapper, and can't do anything else? Locks to make the team are last year's starters, plus Marcus Price and Mike Pucillo, whom the Bills seem to like. If he can stay healthy, I think the Bills hope Sobieski will pan out. That would make eight, but Ross Tucker a FA pickup with some starting experience, Mike Houghton, who played some last year can't be counted out.

7. Is Denny for real? I think the Bills will carry four DTs like last year, Adams replacing Robertson on the roster, but I think they may carry 5 DEs. There are six on the roster now. I think the competition for the fifth spot is between Irons and McKenzie.

8. Who will win the last 2 or 3 spots at LB? Spikes, Fletcher, Posey, and I believe Spoon are locks at this point. I think Polk and Crowell are the next two at this point. If the Bills carry a seventh I think it will be Stevenson. Haggan is PS material at this point.

9. Who will the fourth and fifth corners be? Brooks is small. McGee can't backpedal. Sidney is coming back from an injury. They all have flies on them.

10. Will Battles beat out Driver for a safety spot?

There are other questions about where people will end up on the depth chart, but as long as they're on the roster, nothing is written in stone. If the Bills start Crosby at FB and he doesn't work out, Gash will be available to step in. We don't know who will eventually win the competion at LDE, but I think there might be 2 or 3 guys who could almost be interchangeable at this point. We'll have to wait until we're into the regular season to find out for certain if Reed can really replace Price.

So what do you think? Are there other questions you're looking to see answered.
    Last edited by TigerJ; 08-05-2003, 09:22 PM.
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.
  • John Doe
    Florida Man
    • Jul 2002

Good questions by my Chatauqua County homie.

There is still time for Brown to show something at QB, but I would not count on it.

I don't think that Gash is a lock to make the team. They could go with just one fullback. That would free up a spot for a fourth runner.

What about Brady McDonnel at tight end? He is still in the mix. Good athlete and knows the system. I doubt if Neufeld or Thomas is much better, but at least Thomas gives us a different look.

Who makes the practice squad? I think you have it right about Hagan. Sape has practice squad written all over him. Maybe Thomas too.

I don't see them cutting McGee - he can play safety as well as corner. No reason to believe that he can't improve his backpedal technique. Sidney is a good talent if he can stay healthy.

I always wonder who will start on special teams. Top gunners?

Comment

• Wys Guy
      Drew and Sam stole all my hair
      • Jul 2002

There's no way on earth that they're gonna cut our 4th round picks after all this hoopla! Nor Sobieski or Crowell. Those guys are all assured of a roster spot barring something very unusual.

I'm concerned about Jones. We heard so much about him, have we heard anything recently? The last I heard is that he was being held out of drills last week to rest his knee.

Agree, Brown doesn't appear to be looking very good. I'd like to see him play the rest of the 1st and 2nd Qs on Saturday tho. I put more credence in what I saw w/ him and the first team v. Miami in '01 than I do in what's goin' on in practice this year mostly w/ 3rd team.
      Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Wys Guy
        • Jul 2002

BTW, nice write up Tiger!!!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Billz_fan
          • Jan 2003

The training camp report tonight on Empire Sports stated that Jones knee brace was cumbersome and he was having trouble (looking awkward) with lateral mobility.

Just a personal opinion but I will be surprised if he can contribute.
          The Polian Curse

"They're a very special group of men. Cherish them, you will not see their like again."

February 4, 1993 Bill Polian at his closing press conferance after being dismissed as GM of the Buffalo Bills by Ralph Wilson.

Comment

• Wys Guy
            • Jul 2002

Well, I still stand by MO that he won't even ever start or may not even make the team.

I hope he does, but it seems like too much, especially now.

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• mypoorfriendme
              • Apr 2003

denneys a stud, and bledsoe is built like a tank. two down, 8 to go.
              the dude abides

Comment

• Tatonka
                • Jul 2002

there has been alot of talk about how well McGee has played and how he is a ball hawk.. whats this about his backpedaling?
                "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• lordofgun
                  in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
                  • Jul 2002

Yeah, I don't know either. I've heard only good things about McGee so far.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• Wys Guy
                    • Jul 2002

Me too!

Guess it all depends upon who's "reports" you're reading.

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Tatonka
                      • Jul 2002

i have read that it looks as if mcgee coudl be the nickle back over sidney, who hasnt looked so hot.

hopefully mcgee could be this years kevin thomas.. but i was hoping he would be a fit at FS
                      "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                        • May 2003

The word on McGee coming out was that he didn't have a true backpedal, but more of a shuffle. Haven't heard anything about it since, however.

Other notes: Despite his knee problems, Jones is now listed ahead of Denney on the "official" Bills website depth chart; Gash is ahead of Crosby; Morris ahead of Gary; Rone ahead of Aikens. There are a few other surprises, but it is obviously subject to major change.
                        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Wys Guy
                          • Jul 2002

Yeah, and don't forget, there will be some "suprise" cuts too. We always think that one player is ahead of another, and then the cuts come.

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                            Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                            • May 2003

Oh - Brady McDonnell is listed as the 3rd TE behind Moore and Campbell, and McGee is behind Winfield and Thomas.
                            Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• justasportsfan
                              • Jul 2002

1. We need to find a future qb to groom. If indeed we have a great rb tandem this season, we could use Willis/Henry/Gary(?) to trade for a high pick for a future qb.

2. Joe burns has been doing well at camp as well in the rb position. Morris is not only there to be a no. 3 rb but he's the special teams Capt. (?)

4. When I attended camp, there was this new face that stuck out by catching all the balls thrown to him. At first I thought it was Reed, turned out to be Clarence Coleman. Even reports after that keep coming to say he's doin very well and getting the coaches attention. I think this guy can beat out Jett and make the team.
                              Last edited by justasportsfan; 08-06-2003, 09:00 AM.
                              sacrifice1
                              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

Working...
                              X