Reid says he tried to call holdout Staley (hold out failed)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The_Philster
    • Jul 2002

Reid says he tried to call holdout Staley (hold out failed)

BETHLEHEM, Pa. (AP) — Philadelphia Eagles coach Andy Reid says he has tried to talk to holdout running back Duce Staley, but was unable to do so and has been forced to "move on."
    "I'm not one to air dirty laundry and get into a duking match (through) the media. I like to do it face-to-face," Reid said Wednesday. "I've made an attempt to call Duce earlier, and I was denied the opportunity to talk to him, so I move on. I'm not going to go any further than that.

"I've got to deal with what is here, and we're lucky enough to have a couple of pretty good players at that position, and you move on," Reid said.

more
    The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!
  • gunzlingr
    • Jul 2002

BETHLEHEM, Pa. - Duce Staley said he just wants Andy Reid to call him, so the player and coach can talk. The Eagles' coach yesterday said that he recently tried to telephone Staley, but was "denied the opportunity to talk to him," Reid said.

So the stalemate continues.

While Staley continues to stay at home in Columbia, S.C., Reid appears to be a man unwilling to budge. He speaks highly of his other running backs, particularly Correll Buckhalter and Michael Westbrook, and he does not appear willing to beg Staley to come to camp.

"I am not one to 'air dirty laundry,' and get into a duking match in the media," Reid said after the Eagles' morning practice yesterday. "I like to do it face to face. I made an attempt to call Duce earlier... so I move on. I have to deal with what is here, and we are lucky to have some pretty darn good players at that position. You have to move on."

You think you're hot **** in a champagne glass, but you're really cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup!

Comment

• The_Philster
      • Jul 2002

'Stubborn' Staley returns without contract extension

PHILADELPHIA--Running back Duce Staley returned Sunday to the Philadelphia Eagles, choosing to end his 26-day holdout without the contract extension he was seeking.

''I'm not afraid to say that I was stubborn,'' Staley said on his first day of practice. ''It's behind us. It's over. It's squashed. It's time to move on and bring something new to the city--hopefully, that's a ring--and stay positive.''

Staley, who is in the final year of a contract that will pay him $2.2 million this season, held out in an effort to pressure the Eagles to give him an extension. But the Eagles have two young running backs in Correll Buckhalter and Brian Westbrook and made it obvious they weren't prepared to make a long-term commitment to Staley.

more
      The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

Working...
      X