PDA

View Full Version : What is the solution for Drew Bledsoe?

bernielivsey_1
08-06-2003, 08:50 PM
If Drew is to mistake prone as some suggest, what should we do next year? While is see some holes and concerns in Drew game I still feel he's good enough to help bring us into the playoffs and possibly to a super bowl. But if we don't make it this year (playoffs or super bowl) and Drew is a big part of our failure to make it to the next level, what next? As armchair GM's what can we suggest to make our offence (quarterback position....starter and backups) better? Mark Brunell should be available and possibly a few others Jay Fiedler (yuk), John Kitna (yuk), Trent Dilfer. Or do we ride Drew till his arm falls off and draft a QB in th 1st or 2nd round in the next 2 years? :goodbad:

I think we should give him the chance we never gave Flutie for 2 more years. The team is yours Drew show us what you got.

WG
08-06-2003, 09:36 PM
Brunnell yuk too!

He's been overrated as well.

Just b/c we made a mistake w/ Flutie, doesn't mean we have to repeat it. If it's apparent that the chances of Drew playing well enough in the playoffs are slim, then we should address that immediately. There are always options, you just have to find them.

casdhf
08-06-2003, 10:02 PM
I think the solution is to stop baiting wys into saying what no one wants to hear anyways. But, then again, that could be too easy?

WG
08-06-2003, 10:07 PM
Hi cas!

casdhf
08-06-2003, 10:09 PM
sup

SABURZFAN
08-06-2003, 11:19 PM
i say that we pull joe ferguson out of mothballs.:snicker2:

bernielivsey_1
08-07-2003, 01:45 AM
:hitself: Yeah Joe could play as long as we still have our red helmets so he can see the recievers down field. Heck Kemp is out of work. :up:

northernbillfan
08-07-2003, 03:25 AM
I say Drew still has a chip on his shoulder and has something to prove.

Jan Reimers
08-07-2003, 07:37 AM
What's the problem? With a balanced attack and a great D, he just might turn into Trent Dilfer.

WG
08-07-2003, 09:18 AM
"...mothballs..." LMAO

Hopefully none are stuffed down his throat!

GAG!

Originally posted by northernbillfan
I say Drew still has a chip on his shoulder and has something to prove.

Unfortunately he's not here to "prove something." He's here to score points. As I said before, he's great between the twenties, but his strength is the deep game, and his weakness is the "other" aspects of the passing game in varying degrees.

That's why we try so many big passing plays. It's b/c our chances of scoring are better on them than not. It's not the way to run a team tho.

IMO, his redzone efficiency is gonna be the determining factor this year in terms of his future w/ the team. Who knows, perhaps Donahoe has him being here for the next five years. But I sure hope not if he struggles again in terms of scoring this year. IMO he's respected when we're back at midfield or on our side. But the closer we get to the red zone, good DCs, i.e., the kinds that you find on the championship teams and teams w/ outstanding Ds that make it to the playoffs, are not at all afraid of our red zone passing offense. There's no need to be. We averaged only 1 TD/game last season in 12 games.

It will be interesting. But I'd say we're balanced in the open field. We struggled last year w/ balance inside the red zone. Our issue there was that we continued to rely on a passing game more suited for the deep game when there were no deep options.

WG
08-07-2003, 09:21 AM
I just hope that if, and I say "if", which to me is practially a foregone conclusion, Drew doesn't demonstrate that he can first of all lead the team to a lot of points as we should be doing with this O, and secondly be far more efficient in the red zone and "fix" his short to short-medium game, then I just hope that TD has the gumption to realize the issues and strive for better.

Our draft needs for next season are essentially the same as they were this season due to our lack of addressing them this year. We'll still need a DE, a DT (not only for depth, but we'll have to start considering replacements for SA/PW), OL, WRs, LBs, and possibly a QB too.

Anyone know who the FA QBs next year will be?

justasportsfan
08-07-2003, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
Brunnell yuk too!

He's been overrated as well.

Just b/c we made a mistake w/ Flutie, doesn't mean we have to repeat it. If it's apparent that the chances of Drew playing well enough in the playoffs are slim, then we should address that immediately. There are always options, you just have to find them.

Of all the players to choose, you chose Flutie instead of Rob :snicker:

No! Flutie was hired to be a back up and he did a great job. Too bad it got to his head that he was a bonafide starter in the NFL. Then again if you have an idiot like Rob even I would start thinking that I can be a starter. :D

TypicalBill
08-07-2003, 09:44 AM
have we even started this season yet? we cant assume anything! Drew could toss 25TD's and less than 10int's for all we know.. lets not jump to conclusions here, we've got a long exciting season coming up and then we'll have a full offseason to talk about what we should do.. personally, im gonna take this one step at a time and enjoy a successful season and then, next offseason, im gonna discuss what we need to do to improve (after we see our weaknesses according to this upcoming season).

WG
08-07-2003, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by justasportsfan

Of all the players to choose, you chose Flutie instead of Rob :snicker:

No! Flutie was hired to be a back up and he did a great job. Too bad it got to his head that he was a bonafide starter in the NFL. Then again if you have an idiot like Rob even I would start thinking that I can be a starter. :D

Can you get off the Flutie and Rob crap please...

WTH...

Are you glued to those guys!

Jumpin' Jehoshaphat, Yeehah!

WG
08-07-2003, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by TypicalBill
have we even started this season yet? we cant assume anything! Drew could toss 25TD's and less than 10int's for all we know.. lets not jump to conclusions here, we've got a long exciting season coming up and then we'll have a full offseason to talk about what we should do.. personally, im gonna take this one step at a time and enjoy a successful season and then, next offseason, im gonna discuss what we need to do to improve (after we see our weaknesses according to this upcoming season).

ROFLMAO

Drew, less than 10 INTs...

:lolcry:

justasportsfan
Originally posted by TypicalBill

If wys did this TB, then he wouldn't be wys. :D

WG
LMAO...

What kind of odds do you want on that one!!

WG
08-07-2003, 09:48 AM
Heck, what kind of odds to you want on 12, 15?

ROFLMAO

TypicalBill
08-07-2003, 09:49 AM
ok, ill take a bet for less than 15 ints for the season... im sure he wont throw more im willing to bet zb's on it :D

TypicalBill
08-07-2003, 09:50 AM
i have faith in my starting QB

WG
08-07-2003, 10:01 AM
I've got faith in Drew. But only faith in what he does well, not in what he doesn't do well.

What he does well:

Long balls downfield on big plays
Those dreaded 20-yard outs that we simply didn't run enough of last season!! Why KG, WHY!!!???

Things he doesn't do well:

Red Zone offense
Pinch situations or situations where his primary/secondary are covered
Anything remotely resembling a WCO

So I have faith in him too for the deep ball.

Unfortunately, the "deep ball" and "big plays" won't win you many games. In fact, they'll usually lose you more games, easily, than they'll win you on the merits of that alone.

TypicalBill
08-07-2003, 10:08 AM
I've got faith in Drew. But only faith in what he does well, not in what he doesn't do well.

What he does well:

Long balls downfield on big plays
Those dreaded 20-yard outs that we simply didn't run enough of last season!! Why KG, WHY!!!???

Things he doesn't do well:

Red Zone offense
Pinch situations or situations where his primary/secondary are covered
Anything remotely resembling a WCO

So I have faith in him too for the deep ball.

Unfortunately, the "deep ball" and "big plays" won't win you many games. In fact, they'll usually lose you more games, easily, than they'll win you on the merits of that alone.

:eek: i made you say that!!! :bravo:

we're getting closer...

WG
08-07-2003, 10:12 AM
You know I've always maintained that.

My philosophy, and that of all the best coaches, is that you don't win games on big plays and deep balls. Therefore, such strengths are extremely limited in terms of utility to the team.

Heck, if last season wasn't a HUGE indicator of that, I don't know what will be. We racked up yardage on attempts like flies on poop! But as soon as we got to the red zone, we were screwed! We must have had one of the worst RZ efficient offenses of any team considered among the top 20.

WG
08-07-2003, 10:13 AM
Remember, and this is where I think the concept loses a lot of Bills fans, you score by Crossing the Goal Line, NOT by passing for a lot of yards before you get there!

WG
08-07-2003, 10:14 AM
:D

TypicalBill
08-07-2003, 10:17 AM
i love it when you post your original post and then post a "BTW" about a minute after :D

yup, we should deffinately throw short passes more and use Travis .. if you wanna be successful in red zone situations, you gotta be able to run the ball at will.

we agree on this no doubt ;) .. i have a problem with Gilbride too..

Throne Logic
08-07-2003, 10:18 AM
IMO, his redzone efficiency is gonna be the determining factor this year in terms of his future w/ the team. Who knows, perhaps Donahoe has him being here for the next five years. But I sure hope not if he struggles again in terms of scoring this year. IMO he's respected when we're back at midfield or on our side. But the closer we get to the red zone, good DCs, i.e., the kinds that you find on the championship teams and teams w/ outstanding Ds that make it to the playoffs, are not at all afraid of our red zone passing offense. There's no need to be. We averaged only 1 TD/game last season in 12 games.

It will be interesting. But I'd say we're balanced in the open field. We struggled last year w/ balance inside the red zone. Our issue there was that we continued to rely on a passing game more suited for the deep game when there were no deep options.

This is the part that I agree 100% with. Drew needs to learn how to throw the under 15 yard passes in tight coverage. Or, more importantly, when not to throw.

justasportsfan
08-07-2003, 10:22 AM
Remember, and this is where I think the concept loses a lot of Bills fans, you score by Crossing the Goal Line, NOT by passing for a lot of yards before you get there!

This is more on the coaches not on the qb.

WG
08-07-2003, 10:29 AM
Well, I heard a lot of people say last year how Drew audibled us out of a run and into a pass inside the RZ. I just think he really believes that he can do it, or wants to do it, so he does that.

I have no idea b/c that's not one of the things I was watching for last year. Audibles that is. Also, how do you tell what the play actually was on an audible? It could have been a pass play changed to another pass play too. I think people speculate on audibles too much. If they discuss it in interviews, that's one thing. Otherwise IMO it's guesswork.

LOL TB!!

BTW, I think a lot of people have issues w/ Gilbride. That's what tells me that TD is a little bit out of touch w/ fan opinion on that to give KG a promotion to QBC too. Who knows however, maybe he's setting him up to be satisfied w/ only the QB coach here after this season if the O struggles again. That's also why I don't think that hiring "friends" and "former colleagues" is always wise. You need to hire people that you can fire just as easily as you hired them in this business. Many of TD's "contact" pickups have been sketchy IMO. Players and Gilbride alike.

TedMock
08-07-2003, 10:35 AM
Also, "fake" audibles are called all the time where the play never even changes. It's too hard to really tell by just watching the game.