PDA

View Full Version : Gruden A True Participant In Practices

Gunzlingr
08-07-2003, 09:55 AM
LAKE BUENA VISTA - Bucs wide receiver Keenan McCardell hones his skills daily against the league's No. 1 defense.
Surrounded by Pro Bowl defenders, McCardell occasionally does a double-take when a blond-haired flash approaches.

Then it hits him - it's just Coach Jon Gruden.

``He thinks he can play cornerback,'' McCardell said. ``He tries to cover us out there, and he swears he's doing it.''

Gruden participates in pass coverage drills. He catches balls from the quarterbacks. He's in the huddle and takes a snap or two from center.

The former University of Dayton quarterback isn't afraid to tangle with the players.

``I wish I could be one,'' Gruden said. ``I just like to get in and get involved with the guys, get in the huddle. I love the practices. Game day during the regular season is what the league is all about, and that's the players' day. I don't mess with them much on game day.

``But on the practice field, I enjoy getting in the huddle, mixing it up with them, occasionally catching a ball or throwing a pass.''

Players appreciate his enthusiasm, especially during the grueling training camp workouts.

``He comes out and just does his thing each and every day,'' McCardell said. ``If he can get up, we can get up. It keeps everything lively around here.

``When you're going through the dog days of two-a-days, it helps that he comes through with his passion.''

MORE (http://bucs.tbo.com/bucs/MGAAL3SY1JD.html)