PDA

View Full Version : Travis Henry article in USA Today...

imbondz
08-07-2003, 02:25 PM
T. Henry Article (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/bills/2003-08-06-henry_x.htm)

Bills' Henry says he's up to challenge

By Tom Pedulla, USA TODAY
PITTSFORD, N.Y. — Imagine his surprise. Buffalo Bills running back Travis Henry, still savoring a 1,438-yard season and his first Pro Bowl berth, was vacationing in Atlanta when the phone in his hotel room began to ring. Though he had not watched the opening round of the NFL draft, he soon heard from perplexed relatives and friends that the Bills used the 23rd overall pick to draft Willis McGahee as his potential replacement...More (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/bills/2003-08-06-henry_x.htm)

http://images.usatoday.com/sports/nfl/_photos/2003-08-06-henry.jpg

Pride
08-07-2003, 02:28 PM
I am still so ***** pissed about this draft pick. We should have just traded it away for picks next year... the talent pool was so shallow this year... anything in the first 3 rounds is a waste of money. I am VERY scared where this RB situation is going to go next offseason.

TedMock
08-07-2003, 02:30 PM
here's what's really interesting:

Ranking with the best

Buffalo's decision to select running back Willis McGahee with the 23rd overall selection in the draft was surprising because the Bills already boasted the NFL's fifth-leading rusher last season in Travis Henry.

Player Att. Yards Avg. TDs
Ricky Williams,
Miami 383 1,853 4.4 16
LaDainian Tomlinson,
San Diego 372 1,683 4.5 14
Priest Holmes, Kansas City 313 1,615 5.2 21
Clinton Portis,
Denver 273 1,508 5.5 13
Travis Henry, Buffalo 325 1,438 4.4 13

take a look at RW and TH's Avg.......both 4.4. I'll be the first to admit that RW is awesome but why do some fans think he's head and shoulders above the rest? Plus he had 7 fumbles himself. Portis with a 5.5 avg is pretty sick.

Pride
08-07-2003, 02:42 PM
I know... Ricki had 100 more carries than TH... and he didnt have that many more yards... Of course, they didnt have a passing threat... so the D was pretty much focused on RW the whole game... which made him have to earn it more.

K-Gun
08-07-2003, 11:13 PM
Does anyone think drafting WM had as much, if not more, to do with keeping him out of New England than trying to replace Henry?

Since it happened I have had a suspicion that TD is up to something sneaky. Could it be proving that WM was worthy of being drafted in the first 5 picks, and then trading him for a top 10 or 15 pick?

Think about it, who in the draft makes any kind of instant impact? No one at 23, what if we can get a stud DE in next years draft by trading him to say, the Cowboys?

The_Philster
08-08-2003, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by K-Gun
Does anyone think drafting WM had as much, if not more, to do with keeping him out of New England than trying to replace Henry?

I don't know...I guess it's possible...but not very likely that we'd spend our first round pick on someone who wasn't going to help us...of course it's not like he's going to help us this year anyway.

Since it happened I have had a suspicion that TD is up to something sneaky. Could it be proving that WM was worthy of being drafted in the first 5 picks, and then trading him for a top 10 or 15 pick?

I don't see how he's going to prove to be worth anything when it's highly unlikely he'll eevn see the field this year.

Think about it, who in the draft makes any kind of instant impact? No one at 23, what if we can get a stud DE in next years draft by trading him to say, the Cowboys?

Nate Clements wasn't drafted very high and he made an instant impact...for that matter, so did Coy Wire

BTW, :welcome: to the Zone...first round's on LOG :cheers:

Jan Reimers
08-08-2003, 05:27 AM
Travis now has a real incentive to get better, especially at protecting the ball.