PDA

View Full Version : What's more important, sign McGahee, or sign Winfield?

WG
08-08-2003, 12:27 PM
Not that both aren't possible, just curious which you'd choose if it you could only have one and had to make the choice yourself.

Say you could have either for 5 or 6 years but could only sign one.

Which one would you sign?

It's easy for me, but y'all probably know which one I'd run with. :D

Novacane
08-08-2003, 12:37 PM
I don't uderstand the question:brace:

LtBillsFan66
08-08-2003, 12:37 PM
Winfield, in my own biased opinion.

HenryRules
08-08-2003, 12:40 PM
I'd say McGahee ... I don't care for run-stopping abilities in CBs - I think its akin to judging a girl's beauty by her wrists - yeah, they're part of the whole picture, but a very minor part.

I'd rather get one of the CB's available next year that can lock guys down better (IMO) and get interceptions.

Throne Logic
08-08-2003, 12:40 PM
Winfield.

Reasons (in order of importance):
1) Winfield is already established as a productive player.
2) You can never have too many good DBs.
3) We have too many good RBs.
4) Winfield has no major injury to recover from.
5) MaGahee is from Miami, which is bad. :D

WG
08-08-2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by HenryRules
I think its akin to judging a girl's beauty by her wrists - yeah, they're part of the whole picture, but a very minor part.

Oh sure, so what do you use to judge beauty!

LMAO

I use ankles! The thicker the better!

Actually, it's really nice when the calf flows right into the ankle w/o losing much "ankular girth"! Usually good stock for breedin' purposes...

WG
08-08-2003, 12:45 PM
Nice list TL!!

Bulldog
08-08-2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy

Oh sure, so what do you use to judge beauty!

LMAO

I use ankles! The thicker the better!

Actually, it's really nice when the calf flows right into the ankle w/o losing much "ankular girth"! Usually good stock for breedin' purposes...

Yeah, chicks with cankles are hot! Usually, the ever popular double chin is soon to follow!:hump:

MDFINFAN
08-08-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Throne Logic
Winfield.

Jim Kelly played there too..:stone:

DraftBoy
08-08-2003, 01:55 PM
Winfield

northernbillfan
08-08-2003, 01:59 PM
Winfield.

Well said Throne :bf1:

However I have to question the fact that Henry will be entering a contract year, and we may lose him to the all mighty dollar. It would be nice to be able to have McGahee fill in the void that may be left by Henry.

wbat27
08-08-2003, 02:02 PM
I say sign winfield and move him to safty (next year) then sign another star cb in free agency. Sign Mcgahee too

Ebenezer
08-08-2003, 02:06 PM
Winfield.

3)

3) We have Travis Henry...and he's a cheap cap hit.

kgun12
08-08-2003, 02:17 PM
Winfield, but I don't think he is a top 5 guy. ( no inerceptios) top 10 maybe? Under this defense this year the rush is going to cause turnovers, so we should sign him just in case he has a banner year with interceptions.

Except for the fact that we wasted our first round pick on him, I don't care if we ever sign him.

Ebenezer
08-08-2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by kgun12
Except for the fact that we wasted our first round pick on him, I don't care if we ever sign him.

I agree!!

R. Rich
08-08-2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by kgun12
Winfield, but I don't think he is a top 5 guy. ( no inerceptios) top 10 maybe? Under this defense this year the rush is going to cause turnovers, so we should sign him just in case he has a banner year with interceptions.

I believe Winfield can become a top 5 player either at corner or safety. Not saying they would even consider moving him, but if they were to do that, he could become a Brian Dawkins-type player back there who could really do some damage. At corner, he's solid, a sure tackler, and rarely out of position. The knock on him of course is his inability to get the picks. That will come with more pressure on the QB (he's not quite the athlete a guy like Rod Woodson is or Deion Sanders was, so he won't just be able to make those big plays like they do/did, but because he's so solid and so fundamentally sound, if the pressure comes, he should be in position to take advantage of it and get those picks). I sure hope they get a deal done very soon.

BufBlue4ever60
08-08-2003, 02:25 PM
Definately Winfield. He is an established talent, plus we already have enough RB's.

Billsouth
08-08-2003, 09:30 PM
I disagree that we have enough good RB's. while i like henry, he has suffered from a bit of fumblitis in his career and is NOT a game breaker. olandis gary was a one hit wonder who is a good back up. sammy morris is a converted full back who will never be a featured hb but is a good special teams player and potentially third down receiver. simonton is a guy who was cut from multiple training camps but did well in nfleurope. remind u of curtis alexander?

i think mcgahee was a GREAT pick and will be a GREAT back. i wish people would remember this post because i am going to go on record as saying that WM will be better than Thurman,

winfield has been good But not great and we need great cornerbacks. if he is willing to sign a cap friendly deal than sign him. if not (like cowart and price) SEE YA!!!

Billsouth
08-08-2003, 09:33 PM
i forgot one other point: winfield is injury prone. he has not played a full season in more than 2 years. i believe our cornerback situation will be resolved with the likes of kevin thomas and t. mcghee. if winfield wants to go back to ohio then let him

Billz_fan
08-08-2003, 09:50 PM
To answer the question....Winfield

I expect a super season from TH. He has every reason to go crazy this year and he is in top condition.

WM is possibly a great player. But in todays game you got to play in the here and now.

While WM may end up the starting back at some point, there is no money room for us to keep 2 top backs. If WM becomes what everyone expects him to then either he or TH is gonna have to go.

I expect at least 1600-1800 yards from Henry if the offense is run the way it should be.

kgun12
08-10-2003, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by Billsouth
I disagree that we have enough good RB's. while i like henry, he has suffered from a bit of fumblitis in his career and is NOT a game breaker. olandis gary was a one hit wonder who is a good back up. sammy morris is a converted full back who will never be a featured hb but is a good special teams player and potentially third down receiver. simonton is a guy who was cut from multiple training camps but did well in nfleurope. remind u of curtis alexander?

i think mcgahee was a GREAT pick and will be a GREAT back. i wish people would remember this post because i am going to go on record as saying that WM will be better than Thurman,

winfield has been good But not great and we need great cornerbacks. if he is willing to sign a cap friendly deal than sign him. if not (like cowart and price) SEE YA!!!

I don't disagree that SOMEDAY McGahee will be a decent back, BUT this was an 8-8 team last year we had too many holes to fill to waste a pick on a RB with a bad knee and is ALSO injury prone! 3 major knee injuries I think qualifies one for that label.

Cntrygal
08-10-2003, 06:43 AM
If I am going to play a "what if" game, I'd rather play "What if we make it to the Big Dance. Where am I going to see the game at?"

bob the football fan
08-10-2003, 09:58 AM
Let's take a look at this now,not five or six years in the future.

Do we sign FIRST:

A running back comming off major reconstructive knee surgery, at a position which has a proven veteran and enough capable back-ups or....

A defensive back who has the ability to make a big play everytime he steps onto the field. improving a secondary capable of making the big play?

I know who I would pick.

In addition, I would look to get a second opinion on the knee. Let's make sure it's as sound as it is claimed to be.

:feedback:

HenryRules
08-10-2003, 10:28 AM
btff ... when has winfield made a big play in his career?

That's the one thing he can't do and the reason I would much rather have someone else.

I think of it this way ...
do we want to sign someone who in 5 or 6 years in the league has proven that he is (no more, no less) than a solid, middle-of-the-pack starter when there are better FA options next year that we can sign?

Or do we want to sign someone who may prove to be one of the top players at his position in a couple of years.

I know who I would pick.