PDA

View Full Version : Now is the time to do it....

Michael82
09-16-2002, 08:38 PM
We have four MAJOR players that need to have their contracts extended...Mike Hollis, Peerless Price, Keith Newman and Pierson Prioleau. I think that Tom Donahoe should try to work out extensions with them during the season so that he can get them for good prices and use up some of the money that we have under the cap right now. If he doesn't do this, then we are going to have many decisions at the end of the season.

Mike Hollis is only getting $650,000. He will command more money and if he makes clutch kicks like he has, then we have to give it to him.

Peerless Price is finally coming out of that shell. I know many people said that we should let him go via FA, but I would not want to see Buffalo lose homegrown talent like this, without a fight!

Keith Newman was signed to a one year tender in the offseason. I have no idea why TD didn't sign him to a longer deal, but the guy already has one sack and one fumble recovery.

Pierson Prioleau was also signed to a one-year tender and is definitely a must to re-sign. He has looked good all pre-season and led the team in tackles against the Vikings. He is all over the field.

Overall, it looks like Tom Donahoe will have a bunch of decisions to make in the off-season. He has money to spend now, I think it would be a good move to start working on some of these players as they continue to develop and shine! :up:

Shiny Chicken
09-16-2002, 08:56 PM
The only one I MIGHT extend at this point is Hollis... even him I'd like to see for at least a half a season before I'm sold on him being the kicker here long term.

Price is looking great, but he has a history of inconsistency. It's way too early to be talking about an extension for him until he can show that he's going to play at the same sort of level that he has the last two weeks week in and week out.

And it's also way way too early to commit to Prioleau or Newman. They've done pretty well but they're far ferom consitent. The only players, in my mind thah have and should have secure spots on the defense are Pat Williams, Schobel, Ahanotu, Winfield, fletcher, Robinson and clements...

Shiny Chicken
09-16-2002, 09:00 PM
and why is now of all times, the time to do it... we're only 2 games into the season!! This would be a ridiculous time to do it.... they're all gonna be here all year... anything can happen in a season, injuries... etc... it would be a huge mistake to give these guys extensions now... what's wrong with later in the year.... in fact what's wrong with waiting til after the season, before free agency starts?

Michael82
09-16-2002, 09:11 PM
Well, I'm meaning that now, during the season is the time to do it. We have over 2 million bucks and we should work with some of that money to extend the contracts. Maybe not now, but sometime during the season. Why wait until the end of the season for ALL of them? We have money to spend, we should put some into extensions. I'm just saying that these are the players on my list to extend. Maybe work on them or at least Hollis by midseason if he is still making all those clutch kicks. :D

Shiny Chicken
09-16-2002, 09:12 PM
yeah, but we're going to have the same money to spend after the season as now,...

BidsJr
09-16-2002, 10:05 PM
The thing that you have to remember is that Price, Hollis and Newman understand that if they keep up their play they will recieve more money by stalling. It would be foolish for them to accept an extension right now if they EXPECT to continue to perform at a high level. The extensions would never happen right now.

lordofgun
09-16-2002, 10:06 PM
Good point Bids, welcome to the boards!

justasportsfan
09-16-2002, 11:41 PM
Man, Mike with the way you tittled this thread ,I thought you were talking about your hooking up with that Jill in school. :D

Sabre Ally
09-16-2002, 11:55 PM
Yay, Mikey brought back his Drew avatar :clap:

Michael82
09-17-2002, 12:00 AM
Yup, I thought that I'd bring back my old avatar. Afterall, it was on the season tickets for the first game! :D

Michael82
09-17-2002, 12:03 AM
Ya like my new sig? :D

Sabre Ally
09-17-2002, 01:35 AM
Yes I do.

:hail: Schobel

Ebenezer
09-17-2002, 06:33 AM
The Bills will have plenty of money to spend next year to resign these guys.

Earthquake Enyart
09-17-2002, 06:59 AM
Newman is the only one who will command decent $$ in FA. They should try to extend him now. No one is spending big $$ for kickers, even if they kick them high and far.