Some of you ask me where I get my "notions" from, well...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WG
    Drew and Sam stole all my hair
    • Jul 2002

Some of you ask me where I get my "notions" from, well...

...here's a good example;

"Spikes, a standout with Cincinnati, is expected to vastly improve a defense that last year finished 27th in points allowed -- offsetting a Drew Bledsoe-led offense that ranked among the league's best."

Again, this isn't a bash Drew thread y'all, so let's not turn it into one.

But I have several problems w/ the above statement.

First of all, it simply isn't true. Our defense was ranked 24th, but it was a completely different D up front as it was at the end. Just in case y'all don't remember, we were easily dead last after like 3 or 4 games. 32nd that is. But over the last ten games, we played to ~ 10th or so. Yes, it averaged out to 27th I suppose, but for most games, it played significantly better than 27th as I've pointed out in the past. Even the first Jets game it played very, very well.

Our points allowed over the first 5 games or so was around 34.x PPG, but dropped to less than 20 PPG over the last 11 games or so for an enormous dropoff. When you factor in that some of those "points allowed", many in fact, were allowed by the STs, not the D, and set up by offensive TOs, it was misleading.

Secondly, our D's play didn't "offset" anything in the vast majority of contests. STs did in some. But it was the O's lack of scoring and offensive mistakes that cost us several games. The play of the D actually helped us win at least as many as the O lost.

Thirdly, I also wouldn't say that our offense "ranked among the league's best" either. It was fantastic for 3 or 4 games but then slid into mediocrity before fizzling altogether to be among the "league's worst" to be honest.

Yet, the perception league-wide by columnists such as this AP sports guy is just what it says, regardless of how incorrect it is.
    Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

• LABillsFan
    • Aug 2002

Agreed, No bashing Drew in this thread!!!!!! As the season went on, teams were getting more film on the Bills and knew how to defend against the off. Once that happened production went down and while the Def did tighten up a bit, they still couldn't force turnovers or stop teams in do or die situations forcing the off to try can score everytime they had the ball. I can't put blame on just one side. A very young Oline, a new offense implimented, a D that was not that talented and sketchy ST play, and suspect play calling all added up to an 8-8 team.

This year will be just as heavily scrutinized, with new coaches, new players, a slightly different offensive game plan, a new kicker, adjustments to the Def side of the ball and a division that may be the most competitive in the leauge. It could be just as much a rollercoaster as last year.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't repeat myself.

Comment

• Wys Guy
      Drew and Sam stole all my hair
      • Jul 2002

Indeed.

The only thing that I would add or comment on is that while we didn't have many takeaways, what, last in the league (I think?), we, our D that is, still managed to keep scores by opponents low.

We could reasonably ask the question "why?" Because it seems "unlikely" that a team that didn't generate takeaways could actually keep scores down, but we did that consistently over the last 10 games or so.

Additional takeaways will only help even more this year.

As to the team being "just as heavily scrutinized", I believe it will be even more scrutinized. B/c we are expecting playoffs this year and success in them. If that doesn't happen, then we'll have to start answering questions as to 'why?'

Whereas last year, playoffs were not a realistic expectation for most and we were simply looking to "improve" w/o any particular standards to baseline that against or any particular milestones. So in that sense, expectations were much lower and "reasons" or "answers" weren't as eagerly sought out as to the "shortcomings" of the team as we realized we had some holes to fill.

This year, we really don't have any major holes assuming that we have another DE who can play. So any shortcomings on the part of players, coaches, schemes/tactics, play selection, etc. will become very, very obvious.

IMO there won't be any "I can't put blame on just one side. ... all added up to an 8-8 team."

I think we'll be able to very easily and accurately pinpoint where the problems/issues are.
      Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

Working...
      X