PDA

View Full Version : The Bills Quarterbacks...The Future

bernielivsey_1
08-10-2003, 02:51 AM
:tomato: Ok it has become obvious to me we need a QB for the future. AVP is OK but I dont want OK I want Frank Reich. T. Brown is Ray Lucas. If Drew goes down neither of these guys can take us to the SB or even possibly the playoffs A LA Tom Brady, Kurt Warner, Jeff Hostetler (that one hurt). I want Neil O'Donnel, Shawn King, Chris Chandler, Marc Bulger, Kelly Holcolm, Doug Flutie....someone who if Drew goes down at least we can say we'll be OK we trust him and we dont even have to change the offence too much. Am I Wrong......Is this too much to ask?
Thomas had Davis Kelly had Reich, the LB's had Bently. :stuck:
We've got almost 6 million in cap room. Buy us a back up. Or draft one next year in the 1st or 2nd round.

northernbillfan
08-10-2003, 03:16 AM
I agree that AVP is not the man for the future, but I disagree about the fact taht he can't get us anywhere. He wants to get there as much as Drew. It's AVP's last chance.

Travis Brown didn't look too good yesterday, adn that worries me. We need someone who can back us up, and take over in a couple of years.

Ingtar33
08-10-2003, 04:02 AM
AVP is a good enough backup... better than maybe 20 of the other 32 backup QBs in the league... in today's day and age teams can't afford to have a Frank Reich.

Quick name 5 backup QB's better than AVP, and before anyone says Brian Greise let me throw up first.

BTW: AVP was 2/2 last year and 2/2 in the first preseason game, what more does he have to do? No he is not the future, but then in the NFL no-team holds a qb for 4 years waiting for that "future".

Travis Brown is awful

TypicalBill
08-10-2003, 06:12 AM
i loved what i saw from AVP yesterday

HenryRules
08-10-2003, 09:10 AM
AVP is a solid backup and I don't understand why people have a problem with him.

I have yet to understand why their was so much hype about TB. Ever since he joined the team, I've been wanting us to replace this guy as our 3rd QB, and I still feel that way. I really wanted us to use our 7th rounder on Dorsey and I know he couldn't have performed any worse than TB did yesterday.

TypicalBill
08-10-2003, 09:14 AM
:up: Dorsey played real good yesterday ... and he's a rookie :cynic: .. makes you think what TB was doing for 3 years.

Earthquake Enyart
08-10-2003, 09:27 AM
Our QB of the future isn't here yet. And we don't need him for another year or two.

I like the Pill. :up:

If we become more defense oriented, as it appears we are, we can go out and get Trent Dilfer for Pete's sake.

LABillsFan
08-10-2003, 09:32 AM
If the backup spot was such a concern, then why didn't TD go out and get a FA QB with experience? Not doing this tells me the Bills have confidence in AVP. The Bills are looking to fill the number 3 spot which is not a high priority on any team. Most teams had their first preseason game this weekend and there will be QB's cut in the near future. TD will have the option of bringing in other QB's in the coming weeks if it is a concern.

LABillsFan
08-10-2003, 09:41 AM
PASSING CM-AT-YDS IN TD LG PASSING CM-AT-YDS IN TD LG
-------------------------------------- --------------------------------------
T BROWN 9-21- 83 0 0 25 K BOLLER 10-21-124 0 1 39

Looking at the stats, neither QB had a great day, except for the last TD Boller threw, the stats seem to be about even. TB was also sacked 3 times. I didn't see the game, but was it do to the line or TB just being Bambie eyed? Was the coverage by the defense better for the Bills or Ravens?

BillsOwnAll
08-10-2003, 09:48 AM
hey...we dont need the qb of the furture to start as a backup....look at drew... 3 years ago people didnt say "oh good drew is our qb of the future" i wouldnt worry about this subject to much. AVP CAN take us to the playoffs....i feel like Wys but i think AVP would be a good starter( not better than drew but say he was on another team hed do good)

justasportsfan
08-10-2003, 10:23 AM
THe bills players are comfortable and have confidence in AVP. He was even more relaxed than Drew out there. When he completed that pass to Coleman, I was suprised he could throw that far :snicker: AVP will do fine. He may not be the future but he is reliable.

As for TB, let him play some more. Give him more snaps. He makes me wonder if the WCO is the only thing he is able to play.AVP will be fine for now.

Tatonka
08-10-2003, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Ingtar33

Travis Brown is awful

:rofl:

BillsOwnAll
08-10-2003, 10:58 AM
:lol:

Michael82
08-10-2003, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
THe bills players are comfortable and have confidence in AVP. He was even more relaxed than Drew out there. When he completed that pass to Coleman, I was suprised he could throw that far :snicker: AVP will do fine. He may not be the future but he is reliable.

I totally AGREE! :up:

And actually, I almost fell out of my chair when I saw Alex zip that pass right down the field to Coleman. It was kinda funny...because he had the longest pass for the day for the Bills. and he isn't supposed to have an arm? :snicker:

justasportsfan
08-10-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Mike32282

I totally AGREE! :up:

And actually, I almost fell out of my chair when I saw Alex zip that pass right down the field to Coleman. It was kinda funny...because he had the longest pass for the day for the Bills. and he isn't supposed to have an arm? :snicker:

It wasn't just the distance but the accuracy that impressed me. Wasn't underthrown like TB (typicalbill) all night . Boller looked better than TB.

HenryRules
08-10-2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by BillsOwnAll
hey...we dont need the qb of the furture to start as a backup....look at drew... 3 years ago people didnt say "oh good drew is our qb of the future" i wouldnt worry about this subject to much. AVP CAN take us to the playoffs....i feel like Wys but i think AVP would be a good starter( not better than drew but say he was on another team hed do good)

Do you forget how long it took us to get a decent QB before Drew?

It's not as if Kelly retired and then we went out and got Drew - we went through 5+ seasons of poor to awful QB's before we got Drew, so I do thinnk that havinga QB of the future is important.

TypicalBill
08-10-2003, 11:41 AM
QB Matt Schaub from Virginia in the next draft ;)

cordog
08-10-2003, 11:42 AM
The future is right now. We have a damn good quarterback who still has quite a few productive years ahead of him, I believe drew is 31. Usually QBs can be very productive thru 35. Look at Gannon or Elway, he was like 37 when he won Super Bowl MVP. I guess what im saying is dont worry about the future right now, we will cross that bridge when we get to it

BillsOwnAll
08-10-2003, 11:43 AM
yah who cares bout the future how bout we worry bout this season...we are a playoff team lets not shdow that in "who is our next qb"

TypicalBill
08-10-2003, 11:44 AM
:madfire:

Dolfan984
08-10-2003, 03:13 PM
AVP is in the top half of backup QBs in the league. He has gametime experience, and that is as importaint as anything. (Unless you're Ray Lucas)

Honestly, Bledsoe is your future for the next 4-6 years. Personally if I was running the Bills FO, I would take a QB in the first or second round in a couple years. Bledsoe is durable, and it's not like AVP is going to retire anytime soon.