PDA

View Full Version : Chavous waiting, wondering

BillsFever
08-10-2003, 03:02 PM
MANKATO, Minn. — The Viking most affected in the battle for the open safety spot — one of the most heated competitions in training camp — is Corey Chavous.

If Willie Offord wins the job over Brian Russell, then Chavous will stay at strong safety and Offord will play free safety. If Russell emerges the winner, Chavous will play his third position in a year with the Vikings. Since Russell is a strong safety, Chavous would move to free safety.

"Obviously, I have an interest in it," said Chavous, who was moved from left cornerback to strong safety at midseason last year. "I could be on the move again, but we'll see what happens. If I do move to free safety, I don't think it will be that big a deal because in this defense, the strong and free safety positions are almost interchangeable. They are similar, so I think I'd be able to adjust rather quickly."

Vikings coach Mike Tice is so confident Chavous would be successful shifting positions to accommodate Russell that he thinks it would "take a day" for Chavous to make the transition. Chavous played all four positions in the secondary with Arizona before signing as a free agent with the Vikings.

"I pride myself on my versatility," Chavous said. "I think that's why I'm here."
http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/sports/football/nfl/minnesota_vikings/6492766.htm