PDA

View Full Version : Direct TV experts....

Scott
08-11-2003, 06:33 AM
I live in Tampa and was hoping to watch the Bills game on the Fox Sports channel in Baltimore (channel 629). I got to see all the pregame and then a 8pm, blacked out!
Is this because the game was not sold out? I have the sports package and Sunday Ticket yet all the preseason games are blacked out!
I am pissed!!

Throne Logic
08-11-2003, 06:41 AM
The best way to figure out if a game is going to be on is this:

1) Assume it's blacked out.
2) If you really want, tune in at game time to see if you were wrong (you won't be).

In my experience, Fox Sports channels have yet to NOT black out something entertaining. Don't count on anything other than the main NFL Ticket channels. And with those, don't count on seeing local games in your billing area, 'cuz if they're not sold out, you don't get to see them, either.

Billz_fan
08-11-2003, 06:44 AM
This is my speculation :D

CSN is Comcast and it's a Baltimore area station and a cable network that works off subscriptions. Since preseason games are not included in any of the major network and or Direct Tv deals with the NFL these preseason games are there for the purchasing by local networks or local sports networks that are in each teams area.

So when it comes time for the broadcast of these games. Stations like CSN etc. simply black out the game at there level. In other words they throw the black out switch so to speak. In this way they only allow there subscribers to watch the game. Im sure it's part of there deal with the NFL that they must do this.

Throne Logic
08-11-2003, 06:51 AM
Works this way for all major sports, not just NFL games.

Jan Reimers
08-11-2003, 07:00 AM
They even blacked out the replay on Sunday in NC (and I assume everywhere else) - luckily Iwas there Saturday night.

Aero II
08-11-2003, 07:48 AM
Those stations have the rights to the games they air. If you're not within their local viewing area, it will be blacked out.

What really pissed me off was that I called Directv Saturday morning and their customer service rep read me the NFL blackout policy, then told me that I would be able to view the game because I was outside the blackout region.

Oh well, I got to watch the Fish get thumped over and over on Sunshine.

lordofgun
08-11-2003, 09:04 AM
Scott, it's my contention that unless you're paying for that sports package solely to get Empire, you're wasting your money. That's unless you want to watch the Best Damn Sports Show 24/7. Don't expect to get ANY live major sports on there.

Throne Logic
08-11-2003, 09:23 AM
This is why monopolies are illegal. :huh:

Earthquake Enyart
08-11-2003, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by lordofgun
Scott, it's my contention that unless you're paying for that sports package solely to get Empire, you're wasting your money. That's unless you want to watch the Best Damn Sports Show 24/7. Don't expect to get ANY live major sports on there.

This is true. I like Empire :up:

However, every once in a while a preseason game makes it on, if the FSN channel has exclusive rights. I think the Bills-Ravens was simulcast on Comcast, but the local channel also had rights.

Scott
08-11-2003, 06:20 PM
LOG,
The sports package is free for my first 4 months but in a short period of time it has proven to be worthless.
That is all you can watch is the crap (who cares about the Best Damn Sports Show, stupid!)

Tatonka
08-11-2003, 06:23 PM
if your area is showing the local team on tv, they cant show any other games either.. so the game may look blacked out. but it may be because (in my case) the reskins were on another channel.. stupid if you ask me.

shelby
08-11-2003, 06:24 PM
:lol: Cheer up, Lou, the Bills/Titans is on ESPN Saturday night at 8. If you aren't too doped up to watch it, that is.:z:

Also, Michael taped the game for us. i'll bring it to you when you get home.
:pet:

lordofgun
08-11-2003, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Scott
LOG,
The sports package is free for my first 4 months but in a short period of time it has proven to be worthless.
That is all you can watch is the crap (who cares about the Best Damn Sports Show, stupid!)

Yep. Pure crap.

Jeff1220
08-11-2003, 10:15 PM
I have the same situation with Yankees games on the YES network. It's because DirecTV has an agreement with all the professional sports leagues that makes them black out all televised games on that are out of the local market. That way, both the leagues and DirecTV will profit from the subscription services (like NFL Sunday Ticket, MLB Extra Innings, etc.).
It sucks, but at least I'll have Sunday ticket this year.

sanders97
08-11-2003, 11:39 PM
I have a petition posted about this very issue. I'm trying to gather support from as many people as possible, both current and potential subscribers. At an undetermined date I will submit the petition to the corporate offices of the NFL, Fox Sports, Direct TV and Dish Network. Basically the signatories will be asking these companies to consider that many customers are unhappy with the current sports packages and that these things be considered the next time they handle their broadcasting contracts.

I came on to bump my petition. Once I find it (busy forum you folks have here) you will find it at the top. If you wish to, I'd appreciate your support. Thanx.