PDA

View Full Version : I was incredibly impressed with...

lordofgun
08-11-2003, 10:31 AM
...Baltimore...The team and stadium...the player introductions...the fan creed (DON'T BE A JERK!) etc. The fans were also great. They were very friendly and a couple even offered to buy us drinks even though we were loud Bills fans. :D

Ralph should make a road trip every once in awhile. Maybe he could pick up a few tips on how to put on a show.

They even played Radiohead.

That place screamed class.

LtBillsFan66
08-11-2003, 10:33 AM
Any stadium without the fairy shout song is ok in my book. Is there a decision on that yet? I hope it's outta here!

Pride
08-11-2003, 10:35 AM
I dont know... there is something about 80,000 fans clapping and singing in unison in late december/january while snow is falling after a game winning TD.

I dont think you will get that with a "top 40" song in the same situation.

Keep the tradition alive!

LtBillsFan66
08-11-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Pride
I dont know... there is something about 80,000 fans clapping

:bf1:

:D

Patrick76777
08-11-2003, 10:37 AM
I agree with pride. Sure it's a bit hokey but it's better then having some silly hard rock/rap top 40 song.

Dozerdog
Maryland has some of the nicest people.

10 years ago I was there for work for a week. At a gas station, my work ID must have fallen out of my wallet where it was recovered by a nice lady.

She called my company HQ in Tampa (which was the number on the back of the ID) and she tracked me down through the company to the hotel I was staying at!

She dropped it off at the desk, with a dinner invitation - she even wanted me to meet her daughter (she thought I was good looking from the ID I guess)

Never did get to go to dinner, allthough I sent some flowers as a thank you.

TedMock
The Baltimore fans were great. Even that one Miami fan was ok! Actually, thanks MD and Wys for saving me and my fiancee great seats. As for the Shout song.......it's tradition. Don't get me wrong, I'm a rock and metal fan but that's so common in stadiums. At least everybody knows the Shout song and you get almost 80,000 people clapping and singing. It's the noise and excitement that makes it. Plus any song made famous in a movie like Animal House has to be okay.

clumping platelets
08-11-2003, 10:39 AM
Keep the Shout song :up:

clump:spanku:BF1

THATHURMANATOR
08-11-2003, 10:52 AM
KEEP THE SHOUT SONG!!!

R. Rich
08-11-2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by billsfanone
Any stadium without the fairy shout song is ok in my book.

I guess M&T doesen't go in your book, because they played shout there, though it wasn't 'our' shout song.

LtBillsFan66
08-11-2003, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by R. Rich
I guess M&T doesen't go in your book, because they played shout there, though it wasn't 'our' shout song.

Is that Denver? Because Denver plays it too!

What tradition folks? A couple of teams use the SAME SONG!

WG
08-11-2003, 11:07 AM
LOG, TM,

Ya gotta have liked that intro for the D culminating w/ that Ray Lewis intro, no!

Man, that was powerful!! I can see the same thing happening w/ TA-KEO!!!

Or TAK-E-I-E-I-O!!! LOL

Sounds like that guy who does the Sabres games. Or did, not being that much a fan of hockey and never having lived in Buffalo.

R. Rich
08-11-2003, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by billsfanone

Is that Denver? Because Denver plays it too!

No. M&T Stadium is the stadium where the Ravens play.

lordofgun
08-11-2003, 11:14 AM
I also loved how they didn't play stupid 80's heavy metal between every play. IMO, that music they play at the ralph takes the crowd out of the game and totally ruins the ambience at the Ralph.

They have the largest marching band of any NFL team, which actually didn't suck. They played a lot in between plays and during commercial breaks so it gave the whole college-type atmosphere.

The 2 super-wide screen smartvision screens were awesome as well.

R. Rich
08-11-2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by lordofgun
I also loved how they didn't play stupid 80's heavy metal between every play. IMO, that music they play at the ralph takes the crowd out of the game and totally ruins the ambience at the Ralph.

I totally agree. How many times do we have to hear "Crazy Train" during the damn game?!!

Valerie
08-11-2003, 11:24 AM
Oh no, now I feel like Wys, disagreeing with everyone. lol I guess it's an okay place. Personally, it's not one of my favorite stadiums. I'm not all that crazy about the fans or Ray Lewis. And, I didn't like the hype when Ray was introduced. I've been there a few times and this was probably one of my better experiences there. We sat next to some nice people but the last time I was there for the Bills regular season game, the fans were throwing things at me. And, I'll have you know, I'm not a loud or obnixious fan. I sit quietly and watch the game. Lambeau was the best stadium I've been to so far. Great fans and great atmosphere. Baltimore is at the bottom of my list, even below my dreaded Skins.

justasportsfan
08-11-2003, 11:26 AM
Miami's Shout Song: "Somewhere Over the Rainbow: :shakeno:

Ebenezer
08-11-2003, 11:28 AM
I totally agree. How many times do we have to hear "Crazy Train" during the damn game?!!

how many times do we need to hear any music between plays...

((I am not dissing any form of music with this post))

It's a football game. If I want to listen to music I'll bring a radio. I know when to make noise. I don't have to be instructed on how to be a fan. What is hilarious is that nobody, except for clump, likes 80% of the music they play between plays anyway.

Valerie
08-11-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by EbenezerWhat is hilarious is that nobody, except for clump, likes 80% of the music they play between plays anyway.
Add me to that list. I like the music played inbetween plays too. lol

Ebenezer
08-11-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Jaded 7
Add me to that list. I like the music played inbetween plays too. lol

:rolleyes: you and CP are made for each other...flutie jersey wearing, music liking, not able to eat hot chicken wings...lol

Valerie
08-11-2003, 11:37 AM
That works for me. I like CP! :) BTW, you forgot to add cat loving to that list. lol

Ebenezer
08-11-2003, 11:41 AM
That works for me. I like CP! :) BTW, you forgot to add cat loving to that list. lol

more support for my argument...

R. Rich
08-11-2003, 11:49 AM
What's wrong with cats? I've always liked cats; I've had 4 in my lifetime, including Damien, who we've had now for nearly 4 years.

Ebenezer
08-11-2003, 11:52 AM
What's wrong with cats? I've always liked cats; I've had 4 in my lifetime, including Damien, who we've had now for nearly 4 years.

inside joke between me and CP

Dozerdog
08-11-2003, 11:53 AM
Oh no, now I feel like Wys, disagreeing with everyone. lol I guess it's an okay place. Personally, it's not one of my favorite stadiums. I'm not all that crazy about the fans or Ray Lewis. And, I didn't like the hype when Ray was introduced. I've been there a few times and this was probably one of my better experiences there. We sat next to some nice people but the last time I was there for the Bills regular season game, the fans were throwing things at me. And, I'll have you know, I'm not a loud or obnixious fan. I sit quietly and watch the game. Lambeau was the best stadium I've been to so far. Great fans and great atmosphere. Baltimore is at the bottom of my list, even below my dreaded Skins.

it's got to be those loud, unweildly, and obnoxious minions
:D

WG
08-11-2003, 11:59 AM
LOL just!!!

You sure they're theme song isn't "The Theme from Mahogany!" :D

I think ours at the Ralph should be "Hair of the Dog" by Nazareth!!! Just as they announce TAKEO they can start playing it!

I'm not all that crazy about the fans or Ray Lewis. And, I didn't like the hype when Ray was introduced.
No one asked you to like it, but you had to have respected it!! I thought it was great! Intense! It sure got everyone goin'!

As to the music, I agree w/ some, I'm not big on too much loud music between plays but it kind of pumped up the place! I like it if as LOG suggests it's good stuff and not cliche'd, overplayed crap!

The two screens are AWESOME!! If we had that at the Ralph, BOTH endzones would be awesome!

Originally posted by Ebenezer

how many times do we need to hear any music between plays...

((I am not dissing any form of music with this post))

It's a football game. If I want to listen to music I'll bring a radio. I know when to make noise. I don't have to be instructed on how to be a fan. What is hilarious is that nobody, except for clump, likes 80% of the music they play between plays anyway.

More spousal abuse?! :D

R. Rich
08-11-2003, 12:06 PM
The two screens are AWESOME!! If we had that at the Ralph, BOTH endzones would be awesome!

If they had that, maybe I could convince Lisa that we could get season tickets in the other end zone section (Jumbotron side)! Just kidding. I don't think she ever wants to sit there again. Bad memories for her.

Ebenezer
08-11-2003, 12:09 PM
If they had that, maybe I could convince Lisa that we could get season tickets in the other end zone section (Jumbotron side)! Just kidding. I don't think she ever wants to sit there again. Bad memories for her.

I don't like sitting in the endzone...bad sightline.

Tatonka
08-11-2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog

i deal with maryland all the time during insurance fraud investigations.. i wish i could say the same.. i personally cant stand most of the people that i deal with from maryland/dc area.. rude as hell.. but the circumstances also play a factor.

R. Rich
08-11-2003, 12:13 PM

I don't mind it. She liked the tunnel side when we went to the Steelers-Bills game in '01. That's where I'll be getting my season tickets next season, probably.

Dozerdog
08-11-2003, 12:14 PM
LOL....nicest people... except for the insurance frauds..:D

R. Rich
08-11-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka

i deal with maryland all the time during insurance fraud investigations.. i wish i could say the same.. i personally cant stand most of the people that i deal with from maryland/dc area.. rude as hell.. but the circumstances also play a factor.

It could be worse, Tatonka.......YOU COULD LIVE IN BALTIMORE!!! As far as customer service, you have to be real careful, because some of the places in the area just plain suck. For example, when we lived in Randallstown, the stores around there had the absolute worst customer service around! We would go about 15 minutes out of town just to do our shopping. In Catonsville, where we live now, it's better though.

Patrick76777
08-11-2003, 12:24 PM
Did Ray Lewis do that stupid dance? I hate that friggin thing.

TedMock
08-11-2003, 12:36 PM
Hell, they should just play the hockey organ when we score a touchdown.

THATHURMANATOR
08-11-2003, 12:57 PM

I don't mind it. She liked the tunnel side when we went to the Steelers-Bills game in '01. That's where I'll be getting my season tickets next season, probably.

Right by me man!

Jan Reimers
08-11-2003, 01:01 PM
I liked the fans, and the jumbotrons were awsome, but M&T Stadium doesn't have nearly as much character as The Ralph, regardless of your taste in music.

R. Rich
08-11-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR

Right by me man!

Yep. Wys has seats over in that area also, right? Maybe we can build a BillsZone Endzone; what do you think?

R. Rich
08-11-2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers
I liked the fans, and the jumbotrons were awsome, but M&T Stadium doesn't have nearly as much character as The Ralph, regardless of your taste in music.

True. They support their team and all, but that place just doesen't rock the way RICH does! Can't beat it! It's the best place to watch a game that I've been to.

lordofgun
08-11-2003, 01:50 PM

It doesn't have the same type of character, but it definitely has a lot of character, IMO.

WG
08-11-2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka

I agree w/ ya T. Things may have changed quite a bit in 10 years and I know they have in VA over the past 5. It's very unfriendly in this entire region. MO.

Baltimore may be a bit different due to the blue collar environment moreso.

Thus the need for the screens, eh...

WG
08-11-2003, 04:13 PM
Interesting!

I prefer the more gradual sloping upper decks. It's kinda scary in the uppers at M&T. The newer stadiums are all like that. I think it's a space saver from an environmental standpoint.

Valerie
08-11-2003, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy Interesting!

I prefer the more gradual sloping upper decks. It's kinda scary in the uppers at M&T. The newer stadiums are all like that. I think it's a space saver from an environmental standpoint.
I can attest to how scary the upper decks at M&T Stadium are. We were sitting on the very last row at Saturday's game. And, it was damn scary up there! It's steep and exhausting walking up and down all thos damn stairs. Frankly, I wasn't impressed.

Jeff1220
08-11-2003, 10:04 PM
I chose to move here and I really like it. I think it's quite friendly, even in Baltimore. Every place has rough neighborhoods and such, but for the most part I find Baltimore area Marylanders to be some of the friendliest people around. There are a lot of people here with roots that go back generations , and that gives it a really homey atmosphere.
In contrast, the DC area is pretty much all people who've moved to the area from somewhere else. Not that that makes it a rude place, but certainly different. I'm quite happy with Maryland, and wouldn't move back to Upstate NY for just about anything.

WG
08-11-2003, 10:16 PM
What makes D.C. unusual is the political atmosphere that carries over into the way people conduct their lives. It's noticeable in many places. Lots of money here too, and that usually means lots of egos each thinking their bigger/better than the next one.

I can imagine that Baltimore is nicer. From my experiences, the more blue collar, the friendlier. To an extent I suppose. But predominantly white collar areas I've always noticed to be less friendly. Buffalo I find extremely friendly as well as Rochester.

SABURZFAN
08-11-2003, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by clumping platelets
Keep the Shout song :up:

clump:spanku:BF1

i agree.who cares what bf1 says.

R. Rich
08-11-2003, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Jeff1220
I chose to move here and I really like it. I think it's quite friendly, even in Baltimore. Every place has rough neighborhoods and such, but for the most part I find Baltimore area Marylanders to be some of the friendliest people around. There are a lot of people here with roots that go back generations , and that gives it a really homey atmosphere.
In contrast, the DC area is pretty much all people who've moved to the area from somewhere else. Not that that makes it a rude place, but certainly different. I'm quite happy with Maryland, and wouldn't move back to Upstate NY for just about anything.

There are things I really like about this area and things I certainly don't. For me, customer service is a big issue; I like to be treated nicely while I'm out, especially since I'm PAYING for it!! There are places I love to go in Baltimore, but there are tons of places where your service sucks! I've lived in this area since 1995 and have worked in Northeast Baltimore (think of the HBO series "The Corner" and "The Wire") since 1997 and I can tell you that a lot of the people I have dealt with are rude, ignorant morons.

Originally posted by Wys Guy
What makes D.C. unusual is the political atmosphere that carries over into the way people conduct their lives. It's noticeable in many places. Lots of money here too, and that usually means lots of egos each thinking their bigger/better than the next one.

I can imagine that Baltimore is nicer. From my experiences, the more blue collar, the friendlier. To an extent I suppose. But predominantly white collar areas I've always noticed to be less friendly. Buffalo I find extremely friendly as well as Rochester.

Now, this is the opposite side of the coin. Baltimore has plenty of blue collar in it, but I wouldn't classify it as a blue collar town entirely. Just like DC has its nice areas and bad areas, Baltimore does too. As bad as Northeast Baltimore, Cherry Hill, Dundalk, or West Baltimore may seem, there's also places like Owings Mills, Catonsville, and Ellicott City, which have their share of affluent people.

MDFINFAN
08-11-2003, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog

Thank you Dozerdog, I guess that was my clue to come in, you guys weren't bad yourselves.

Come back again sometime. LOL

redeye5
08-11-2003, 11:30 PM
The Bills make me wanna shout! Kick your heels up and shout! Throw your hands up and shout! Throw your head back and shout! C'mon now, the Bills are makin' it happen now. Stand up now c'mon and shout! Yea-ea-eah!

Say you will - Shout it right now baby. Say you will - C'mon, c'mon. Say you will - C'mon and shout. Say you will - Yea-ea-eah!

Shout! Buffalo's happenin' now - Shout! We're on the move now - Shout! The Bills are happenin' now Shout! They're making it happen now - Shout! We've got the spirit - Shout! A lot of spirit - Yeah! Shout! We've got the spirit - Shout! Just watch it happen now!

Hey-ey-ey-ey! Hey-ey-ey-ey! Hey-ey-ey-ey! Hey-ey-ey-ey!

Let's go Buffalo! Let's go Buffalo! Let's go Buffalo! Let's go Buffalo!

The Bills make me wanna SHOUT!

Shout song in MP3 Format (http://members.cox.net/billswatch/shout.mp3)

BillsOverDolphins
08-11-2003, 11:31 PM

There are things I really like about this area and things I certainly don't. For me, customer service is a big issue; I like to be treated nicely while I'm out, especially since I'm PAYING for it!! There are places I love to go in Baltimore, but there are tons of places where your service sucks! I've lived in this area since 1995 and have worked in Northeast Baltimore (think of the HBO series "The Corner" and "The Wire") since 1997 and I can tell you that a lot of the people I have dealt with are rude, ignorant morons.

Now, this is the opposite side of the coin. Baltimore has plenty of blue collar in it, but I wouldn't classify it as a blue collar town entirely. Just like DC has its nice areas and bad areas, Baltimore does too. As bad as Northeast Baltimore, Cherry Hill, Dundalk, or West Baltimore may seem, there's also places like Owings Mills, Catonsville, and Ellicott City, which have their share of affluent people.

Maryland does have nice people, and unlike Miami(my real home) they speak ****ing English!!!

WG
08-11-2003, 11:35 PM

I don't think there's much of a comparison tho between the afflucence up there and it down here. I've never known so many millionaires, and been friends w/ them, in my entire life combined. All the senators and reps, foreign politicians and businessmen. I know there's some money in Baltimore, but on a per capita basis this is one of the richest metro areas in the nation. It's very usual for families here to pull down 3 or 400K annually.

I only say that b/c it's glaringly obvious around here. Just doing "local" stuff, you often run across folks who seem to think they are more important than anyone else around them. You hear stories about that stuff at the local airports here, usually Reagan National, all the time.

MDFINFAN
08-11-2003, 11:40 PM

I agree w/ ya T. Things may have changed quite a bit in 10 years and I know they have in VA over the past 5. It's very unfriendly in this entire region. MO.

Baltimore may be a bit different due to the blue collar environment moreso.

Thus the need for the screens, eh...

Wys what I've found here is that people are very status oriented. When I first got here in 90, the street cleaners were given me their business cards. I found the people always wanted to know what you did and where you lived. I was a Captain in the Army when I first arrived and a PFC gave me a tour of the duty place I was going to work in, I was dressed in civilian clothes and he didn't know I was an Officer, he ended up given me a business card, told me how important he was, and said if I needed anything to call him. Well I showed up to work that Monday in Uniform and actually met him in the elevator as we were going up. The look on his face, priceless. But as I've been here now, I've met a lot of people who are just good ol regular folks, fun loving, curteous and great to be around. Customer service here sucks because people don't want to do it. It's beneath them some how, but they'd got to work somewhere, so they take the job and take it out on the customer. Funny place here, but as you get to know it, it's also a great place to live. You've got both the city and country feel, depending on where you live. I live in the surburbs, which also have farm land close by, so it's a mixed bag. City folks and rural folks all in one, just gotta love it.

BillsOverDolphins
08-11-2003, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
Miami's Shout Song: "Somewhere Over the Rainbow: :shakeno:
:rofl:

R. Rich
08-12-2003, 09:34 AM

I don't think there's much of a comparison tho between the afflucence up there and it down here. I've never known so many millionaires, and been friends w/ them, in my entire life combined. All the senators and reps, foreign politicians and businessmen. I know there's some money in Baltimore, but on a per capita basis this is one of the richest metro areas in the nation. It's very usual for families here to pull down 3 or 400K annually.

I only say that b/c it's glaringly obvious around here. Just doing "local" stuff, you often run across folks who seem to think they are more important than anyone else around them. You hear stories about that stuff at the local airports here, usually Reagan National, all the time.

I'm not comparing the wealth of the two areas, just saying that to make a broad generalization of Baltimore as 'blue collar' is not entirely factual. I know there are more rich people in the DC area, Wys. Relax.

R. Rich
08-12-2003, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by MDFINFAN

Customer service here sucks because people don't want to do it. It's beneath them some how, but they'd got to work somewhere, so they take the job and take it out on the customer.

True. My wife is Asst. Mgr. at one of the CVS pharmacies in town. She's worked in a variety of places, such as Ellicott City, Randallstown, Baltimore, and now Reisterstown. She has told me numerous times how hard it is to get a competent staff there. It really depends on the area the store is located. I remember the Randallstown store in particular as being very unorganized, messy, and staffed with folks who don't give a s*** (not all of them, but a good number of them). That's pretty much par for the course around here. When my brother and a good friend came to visit me before I got married, we went to the IHOP in Randallstown to have lunch one day. Well, we waited for about 10 minutes or so before anyone even came to our table! When they did, it was some nasty woman who just said "I'll be witcha' in a minute." Well, some 15 more minutes later, we decided to go elsewhere to eat. That experience swore me off of going to places in Randallstown to eat, and that was 4 years ago!

IHateTheDullphins
08-12-2003, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by redeye5
The Bills make me wanna shout! Kick your heels up and shout! Throw your hands up and shout! Throw your head back and shout! C'mon now, the Bills are makin' it happen now. Stand up now c'mon and shout! Yea-ea-eah!

Say you will - Shout it right now baby. Say you will - C'mon, c'mon. Say you will - C'mon and shout. Say you will - Yea-ea-eah!

Shout! Buffalo's happenin' now - Shout! We're on the move now - Shout! The Bills are happenin' now Shout! They're making it happen now - Shout! We've got the spirit - Shout! A lot of spirit - Yeah! Shout! We've got the spirit - Shout! Just watch it happen now!

Hey-ey-ey-ey! Hey-ey-ey-ey! Hey-ey-ey-ey! Hey-ey-ey-ey!

Let's go Buffalo! Let's go Buffalo! Let's go Buffalo! Let's go Buffalo!

Nice, thanks. Always like to hear Berman's takes.
The Bills make me wanna SHOUT!

Shout song in MP3 Format (http://members.cox.net/billswatch/shout.mp3) :urock: