PDA

View Full Version : Travis Brown

Judge
08-11-2003, 04:38 PM
I'm starting to wonder about whether this guy is developing at all. He didn't look good in my opinion on anything more than a dump-off pass. Try to go downfiled at all, even a short route, and the pass was too soft, too slow in arriving, and off-target.

Has this guy shown anything worthwhile in camp? Quite frankly, to my recollection he didn't look much different last preseason either, and his alleged "great" game against Miami 2 seasons ago when he replaced an injured AVP was hardly impressive.

I'm not sure this guy is worth keeping around. AVP is clearly a professional. He can play whenever called upon, and in my opinion plays better than you'd expect given physical limits. I'd be able to rely on him for a good amount of games, but I'd like to have someone who's in the style of Drew (can get the ball downfield). Maybe it's time to bring in a capable guy to replace Brown to be ready at QB in case Drew goes down for the long haul.

Judge
08-11-2003, 04:40 PM
Here's his stat line from that Miami game, by the way:

01/06 @Miami L 7-34 No 33 15 45.5 201 1 2 50.2 1 2 1 10 10.0 10 0 1 0

15-33 for 201, 1 TD, 2 INT's.

casdhf
08-11-2003, 04:52 PM
I think I pretty much summed this up in a different thread...

Travis Brown sucks. Cut him now, please.

WG
08-11-2003, 06:09 PM
Both INTs were late in the game in the last half of the 4th Q Judge.

I agree, he's not lookin' really good, but he looked a LOT better in that game. Consider as well, that the boy you're praisin', VP, had what, like 11 total yards thru one Q in that game! At least TB was able to move the ball.

Hitting him for this preseason is valid. Hitting him for that game, behind that OL, w/ that coach, w/ no RB, is a little low. Especially since it was his very first game experience, in Miami in a meaningful game for them but not for us.

WG
08-11-2003, 06:10 PM
cordog,

So much for "Praising the players", eh!

;)

Not a knock on you Judge! A stick at dog!

Demon
08-11-2003, 09:36 PM
Brown was HORRIBLE vs the Ravens. No way he will even come CLOSE to beating out AVP.

Michael82
08-11-2003, 09:38 PM
:D

Michael82
08-11-2003, 09:38 PM
:up:

Judge
08-11-2003, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
Both INTs were late in the game in the last half of the 4th Q Judge.

I agree, he's not lookin' really good, but he looked a LOT better in that game. Consider as well, that the boy you're praisin', VP, had what, like 11 total yards thru one Q in that game! At least TB was able to move the ball.

Hitting him for this preseason is valid. Hitting him for that game, behind that OL, w/ that coach, w/ no RB, is a little low. Especially since it was his very first game experience, in Miami in a meaningful game for them but not for us.

I just want to make it clear what the guy did in that game. I was satisfied with the way he played AT THE TIME of the Miami game- I figured he showed some promise and poise in the fire he was thrown into.

That was then, though- looking back in light of where he's going, I don't see him showing reasons to make me feel good about his development. It doesn't appear to be happening.

Just my thoughts.

As for AVP, I think he consistently delivers more than what I expect of him, and has proven from the first time he played (1995, I think) that he had poise under pressure and some leadership skills. He's a football player. A good guy to have on the team and in my opinion a reliable backup. Not a guy I want to build a team around, but a good backup to Drew.

Jeff1220
08-11-2003, 10:24 PM
Just a note on AVP:
GW has said last week that he can't wait to (maybe) get a chance to hire AVP as an Asst. coach. I think that's definitely more of a compliment to his knowledge of the game and repoire with the players than it is a knock on his skills.

cordog
08-12-2003, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
cordog,

So much for "Praising the players", eh!

;)

Not a knock on you Judge! A stick at dog!

what are you talking about wys

I just said sometimes we try to analyze things too much, like this preseason game, and sometimes we get too worked up about players being a bust or not performing. I would say 95% of the players out there are busting their butts and giving everything they have. Some may not turn out how we would like them, but in most cases you have to respect the effort they are putting forth. To sum it up, sometimes we get so caught up in everything else that we forget to enjoy this team and this league for what it is. Football, entertainment. Yes i know its a business, but if it was JUST a business we wouldnt sit around on sundays and watch it

Captain gameboy
08-12-2003, 03:53 AM
There's no doubt that during the upcoming off season we need to start the search for an eventual Bledsoe replacement.
I'm not pleased with the notion of AVP going more than a few games in an emergency, and from what I've heard about Brown, he hasn't looked like a legit NFL'er.

mush69
08-12-2003, 06:36 AM
Browns throwing arm is weak! He was something like 0 for 11 before Coleman caught 1, then he had a couple of completions to Coleman in a row. Every pass was either in the dirt or behind the receiver. I would like to see him develop some kind of throwing arm before we commit more on his future. He has a couple more preseason games to come around this year, Otherwise I say start shopping around next year for a replacement.

AVP would be a great asset to the coaching staff IMO. I have always liked the way he has carried himself...and the donut.

G. Host
08-12-2003, 08:09 AM
GW is building his lists again . .we better watch out he may be looking for next job!
:p:

Originally posted by Jeff1220
Just a note on AVP:
GW has said last week that he can't wait to (maybe) get a chance to hire AVP as an Asst. coach. I think that's definitely more of a compliment to his knowledge of the game and repoire with the players than it is a knock on his skills.

John Doe
08-12-2003, 03:52 PM
Writing off Travis Brown after one preseason game is a bit much.

WG
08-12-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by gameboy
There's no doubt that during the upcoming off season we need to start the search for an eventual Bledsoe replacement.
I'm not pleased with the notion of AVP going more than a few games in an emergency, and from what I've heard about Brown, he hasn't looked like a legit NFL'er.

Agreed.

The only thing that I would add is that that "eventual" may become "immediate" after this season.

:)

Or at least "imminent."

WG
08-12-2003, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by mush69
Browns throwing arm is weak! He was something like 0 for 11 before Coleman caught 1, then he had a couple of completions to Coleman in a row. Every pass was either in the dirt or behind the receiver. I would like to see him develop some kind of throwing arm before we commit more on his future. He has a couple more preseason games to come around this year, Otherwise I say start shopping around next year for a replacement.

AVP would be a great asset to the coaching staff IMO. I have always liked the way he has carried himself...and the donut.

You guys put too much credence on one PS game!

If we reacted like this to Drew, he'd be #2 behind Van Pelt. He led the O to what, 40 yards thru 4 drives and an entire more than a Q of play! He was 2 of 6 for 5 yards his first 6 tosses. He was only 4 of 8 for 27 yards on the day. He led the O to what, 2, 3 first downs! With the first unit!

:rolleyes:

Brown was 0 for his first 6 mush!

Brown played like crap except in the Bills longest drive of the day where he was 4-of-6 for 41 yards in leading the Bills on a 65 yard drive down to the Raven 7 for a FG.

That's why I gave him a D+ in my ratings.

And before all of you jump all over that, consider that Drew did little more in the Pittsburgh playoff game than Brown did v. the Ravens in sum total.

Again, WAY to much emphasis on a single PS game only two weeks into camp.

WG
08-12-2003, 04:34 PM
Other than that drive, Brown was 5 of 15 for 42 yards and a 54.3 rating on the day, w/ the 2nd/3rd units.

BTW, Drew's rating in that game w/ the first unit was only 57.8.

Anyway, in that Pittsburgh game, the PO game, after contributing for only 40 of the entire 80 yards on that scoring drive, Drew was 7-of-18 for 66 yards and nothin' on O for the most part.

So while I agree Brown's not lookin' too good, it seems as if many of you are "oh so eager" to see him fail!

WG
08-12-2003, 04:35 PM
And BTW, all I'm askin' is that if you're gonna say he sucks, then how about expressing some concern over Drew's play given the CRAP ending to the last two-thirds of the season that he had.

Let's at least be consistent here...!