PDA

View Full Version : Irate Fassel Expels Clark After Punch

BillsFever
08-11-2003, 09:34 PM
Recalling how his team self-destructed in a show of macho rage in the closing seconds of last season's playoff collapse in San Francisco, coach Jim Fassel decided he would not tolerate any player losing his composure during training camp. So when safety Ryan Clark, who stands a decent chance to make the team, lost his cool yesterday afternoon, Fassel threw him out of practice.

Clark came on a blitz and did not like the way he was blocked by guard Sean O'Connor. A brief scuffle escalated into a fight when Clark went at O'Connor, throwing a punch to the face. Fassel screamed at Clark, walked off a 15-yard penalty on the defense and then read Clark the riot act.

"I said it 100 times since we've been in camp," Fassel said. "That is not what I want. It was the very first meeting I had with 'em in the spring. I said the No. 1 thing, I don't want to see anyone lose composure, take a swing at somebody. It's happened to us. I told the defense afterwards that will cost us a game this year if it happens and you won't play as long as you do that. You have to prove to me now you won't do that in a game."

Fassel also was not happy with the way his offensive unit, following the altercation, seemed to lose its aggressiveness once defensive players began yelling. "After that came down, the offense got all rattled," Fassel said.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/giants/2499.htm

WG
08-12-2003, 09:12 AM
Giants are good, but IMO they're not good enough to make the leap to the SB.

Is this guy Clark any good? SS or FS?

Hmmmm....