PDA

View Full Version : The Jets will be good...

Tatonka
08-12-2003, 11:21 AM
i am getting tired of seeing everyone ranking the afc east and putting us or miami or NE at the top and totally disregarding the jets..

this is a team that beat our asses twice last year..

everyone seems to point to these things as being the reason they wont be there this year.

1. coles - i dont care what anyone says.. coles was no moulds.. and conway will replace him fine as long as he stays healthy.

2. thomas - he was a guard for god sakes.. guards can be replaced.. more easily than any other position on the line.

3. morton - a kr.. come on.. he essentially only killed US in the first game, and didnt do anything spectacular after that.

4. kicker - remains to be seen.. losing hall may hurt some, but it is not like he is jason elam or something.

guys.. this is just a news flash but they have a lot of positives too..

1. playoff experience
2. a yound qb who, imho, is a stud in the making.. he is dangerous.. ask eddie robinson
3. great 1-2 rb combo with martin and jordan
4. improved defense.

they will be in this race at the end.. i dont know how anyone can favor any team in the afc east.. all 4 teams are going to be good.. NE being the weakest imho, because of the complete and total lack of a running game.. if they get that straight.. they will be there too.

Patrick76777
08-12-2003, 11:25 AM
I truly think Miami will be the weakest. I am not impressed with that team AT ALL! Oh they'll start strong again. Maybe 3-1, Maybe! but then it's all down hill.

TheGhostofJimKelly
08-12-2003, 11:38 AM
I think the NY Jets might have had one of the worst offseasons in NFL history. I don't think they will be bad at all though, but in this division anything can happen. I have seen the Bills predicted all over the place.

Bulldog
08-12-2003, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka
i am getting tired of seeing everyone ranking the afc east and putting us or miami or NE at the top and totally disregarding the jets..

this is a team that beat our asses twice last year..

everyone seems to point to these things as being the reason they wont be there this year.

1. coles - i dont care what anyone says.. coles was no moulds.. and conway will replace him fine as long as he stays healthy.

2. thomas - he was a guard for god sakes.. guards can be replaced.. more easily than any other position on the line.

3. morton - a kr.. come on.. he essentially only killed US in the first game, and didnt do anything spectacular after that.

4. kicker - remains to be seen.. losing hall may hurt some, but it is not like he is jason elam or something.

guys.. this is just a news flash but they have a lot of positives too..

1. playoff experience
2. a yound qb who, imho, is a stud in the making.. he is dangerous.. ask eddie robinson
3. great 1-2 rb combo with martin and jordan
4. improved defense.

they will be in this race at the end.. i dont know how anyone can favor any team in the afc east.. all 4 teams are going to be good.. NE being the weakest imho, because of the complete and total lack of a running game.. if they get that straight.. they will be there too.

What make you think that their D' will be improved? I agree with you though, the Jets will be a very good team. I am very impressed with the job Herman Edwards has done over the past couple of years.

WG
08-12-2003, 12:05 PM
No chance at all that Conway replaces Coles one-for-one!

Also, the Jets had the fifth best KO return in the league last year, losing Morton will hurt that.

Other than that, I think they'll threaten for a playoff spot.

I see N.E. bringin' up the rear. If they can finish better than .500 this season, I'll be highly impressed given the combination of their schedule and their apparent lack of a F/T RB.

Bills/Miami 11-5 +/-
Jets 9-7/10-6
Pats 7-9

justasportsfan
08-12-2003, 12:11 PM
It's not what the Jets lost that doesn't make them the favorite. It's what everyone else did to upgrade their teams. I wouldn't say the bills are favorites. The Pats scare me the most with their D.

Coles may not be a Moulds, but he was their version of a Moulds. Very valuable.

WG
08-12-2003, 12:12 PM
Yeah, and are you quaking and trembling over their O?

:rolleyes:

They may have had a good PS game v. a rusty Giants squad, but they're gonna have issues if Antowain starts.

Ebenezer
08-12-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
Bills/Miami 11-5 +/-

Wys, you're snorting your wing sauce again...

Neither is going 11-5...Miami may not make .500

Tatonka
08-12-2003, 12:16 PM
No chance at all that Conway replaces Coles one-for-one!

Also, the Jets had the fifth best KO return in the league last year, losing Morton will hurt that.

Other than that, I think they'll threaten for a playoff spot.

I see N.E. bringin' up the rear. If they can finish better than .500 this season, I'll be highly impressed given the combination of their schedule and their apparent lack of a F/T RB.

Bills/Miami 11-5 +/-
Jets 9-7/10-6
Pats 7-9

wys.. look at conways stats compaired to coles.. they are almost the same wr.. judging from what i saw from the jets in their last preseason game too where they marched right down and scored, due largely to the connection that has already been made between pennington and conway, i think he will be a good replacement..

also.. morton was NOT the best KR in the game last season.. not by a long shot.. look at the yardage that michael lewis racked up.. dante hall was better too..

morton had one good game against use.. no other tds all year.. he was good but not so good that he can not be replaced..

no one in the afc east will be better than 10-6..

Judge
08-12-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Patrick76777
I truly think Miami will be the weakest. I am not impressed with that team AT ALL! Oh they'll start strong again. Maybe 3-1, Maybe! but then it's all down hill.

I agree 100%. Miami's offseason is a total bust if Junior Seau plays like the old geezer he looked like last weekend.

justasportsfan
08-12-2003, 12:22 PM
Yeah, and are you quaking and trembling over their O?

:rolleyes:

Not at all. The bucs hardly had any rush anyways. Their biggest weapon was their D. If you have a D that can score for you, you have an advantage.

It isn't so much that the Pats D itself scares me, it's because "DREW SUCKS" against them. :laughter: If Drew tries to do things himself, we're screwed. THe Pats O isn't all that but it was enough for them to win the sb. Last year was the same team but their D this year has improved.

Back to the jets.......

Judge
08-12-2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
I think the NY Jets might have had one of the worst offseasons in NFL history. I don't think they will be bad at all though, but in this division anything can happen. I have seen the Bills predicted all over the place.

From what I recall they had a great draft. I think the Bills and New England had the best offseasons in the division. The Jets lost a few guys but added some talent in the draft that could help them for years. Miami's offseason was questionable at best- I see a major flop in the land of the dolphin if Junior Seau has hit the wall.

Tatonka
08-12-2003, 12:28 PM
seau has hit the wall last year.. he is still trying to get up from that hit still.. :snicker:

casdhf
08-12-2003, 12:31 PM
The Jets are no good on defense. They have one of the best and deepest DL's in the league. But, their Secondary sucks and Their LBs have each lost a few steps. I hear even Cowart isn't looking so hot (good move TD) Marvin Jones is done and the other guy, Mo Lewis, doesnt have anything left in the tank either. Pennington was that team last year and I don't think he can do it again. Maybe, but Coles will hurt. Chrebet is washed up, Santana Moss can't make it through a whole game, let alone an entire season and Curtis Martin, is well, really good....but 8 man fronts should stop him.

justasportsfan
08-12-2003, 12:33 PM
Beware. Silence from wys can only mean one thing ....5 pages of replies

TheGhostofJimKelly
08-12-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Judge

From what I recall they had a great draft. I think the Bills and New England had the best offseasons in the division. The Jets lost a few guys but added some talent in the draft that could help them for years. Miami's offseason was questionable at best- I see a major flop in the land of the dolphin if Junior Seau has hit the wall.

I wouldn't be so sure, first pick Dewayne Robertson - According to KFFL.com there is quiet rumbling that the team is upset and they don't think Robertson will be the impact player they thought he would be.

Throne Logic
08-12-2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
Beware. Silence from wys can only mean one thing ....5 pages of replies

:lolcry:

:candle: :anvil:

XNOUGHT
08-12-2003, 01:56 PM
I know this is a thread about the Jets but.......

The Pats offense has not lost anyone and had 3 O-Line guys injured last year, and was the top scoring team the last 2 years in a row, but Wys says that we shouldn't worry bout the pats offense.

Also, has anyone read the book Moneyball?????

This is the same type of situation in reguard to a running game.

How many 1000 yard rushers did the Raiders and Bucs have?

Holmes, Ricky, Henry, LT2, Portis, Alexander, and the Vikings all had 1 thing in common......ALL had 1000 yard rushers, and FAILED to make the playoffs.

We are seeing a revolution in the NFL. The running game does not help you overcome 10 point deficits. The running game is now being replaced by a quick hit passing attack. Similar to what the Bucs, Raiders, Jets, and Pats use.

The runnign game is VASTLY overrated. THe numbers dont lie. When the Rams won the SB, Faulk gained AT MOST 30 yards in a game and that was vs the Vikings. Has numbers were 20 yards vs the Bucs, and 17 yards vs the Titans. The Pats didn't rush for 100 yards even once when they won the SB. The Bucs and Raiders lacked any 1000 yard rushers.

A good defense and a good passing attack is enough to reach the playoffs now. A runnign game is important, but is being vastly overrated by the media and football fans in general.

Patrick76777
08-12-2003, 02:01 PM
Wow, The Anti-wys.

This should be good.

colin
08-12-2003, 02:56 PM
The threat of a legitimate run and a D are very important. Passing only requires far superior talent, and you will get more broken plays and turnovers without the running game.

WG
08-12-2003, 03:38 PM

wys.. look at conways stats compaired to coles.. they are almost the same wr.. judging from what i saw from the jets in their last preseason game too where they marched right down and scored, due largely to the connection that has already been made between pennington and conway, i think he will be a good replacement..

also.. morton was NOT the best KR in the game last season.. not by a long shot.. look at the yardage that michael lewis racked up.. dante hall was better too..

morton had one good game against use.. no other tds all year.. he was good but not so good that he can not be replaced..

no one in the afc east will be better than 10-6..

Didn't say Morton was "the best", I said the Jets had the 5th best KO return in the NFL. They may not lose much there.

I cannot disagree more on Conway/Coles however. Conway came into the league as what was supposed to be premier WR. He's posted only 3 seasons in ten over 1,000 yards and significantly less in the other 7 ranging as low as 426 in a non-rookie season.

Coles has already eclipsed Conway's best season in terms of #s of catches and yards, has a higher career YPC, and is young, vice Conway who clearly isn't what he was even several years ago.

Conway's #s (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/ConwCu00.htm)

Coles' #s (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/ColeLa00.htm)

Also, Coles has put up 50 catches and 700 yards more in each of their first three seasons.

WG
08-12-2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by XNOUGHT
I know this is a thread about the Jets but.......

The Pats offense has not lost anyone and had 3 O-Line guys injured last year, and was the top scoring team the last 2 years in a row, but Wys says that we shouldn't worry bout the pats offense.

Also, has anyone read the book Moneyball?????

This is the same type of situation in reguard to a running game.

How many 1000 yard rushers did the Raiders and Bucs have?

Holmes, Ricky, Henry, LT2, Portis, Alexander, and the Vikings all had 1 thing in common......ALL had 1000 yard rushers, and FAILED to make the playoffs.

We are seeing a revolution in the NFL. The running game does not help you overcome 10 point deficits. The running game is now being replaced by a quick hit passing attack. Similar to what the Bucs, Raiders, Jets, and Pats use.

The runnign game is VASTLY overrated. THe numbers dont lie. When the Rams won the SB, Faulk gained AT MOST 30 yards in a game and that was vs the Vikings. Has numbers were 20 yards vs the Bucs, and 17 yards vs the Titans. The Pats didn't rush for 100 yards even once when they won the SB. The Bucs and Raiders lacked any 1000 yard rushers.

A good defense and a good passing attack is enough to reach the playoffs now. A runnign game is important, but is being vastly overrated by the media and football fans in general.

Actually I won't disagree w/ you X.

I agree, but I've put things in terms of the Bills over the past year when raving about the running game b/c Drew isn't capable of running a short passing game. If he were, then Brown wouldn't have excelled at his departure, nor would he have been traded!

For us, it's the running game. As well, I'd say it's more the combination of the short, quick hit passing game along with solid rushing. Thus the Rams. Faulk isn't the best pure rusher, but he's the best all-around RB or arguably so. Perhaps "was" the best is more appropriate.

Letting Drew be the leader of a short passing game would be like letting a blind man drive a tour bus! LOL Yeah, I'm partially kidding, but the truth of the matter is that that's what's entirely wrong w/ Drew and his game. He's great down to the red zone, but then the deep game gets taken away, his biggest strength, and he struggles way more than most other QBs in this league and way more than he should if he's gonna be considered among the best QBs. He's essentially unreliable and below average in those situations. Thus the 5 TOs he had last season in the red zone.

As to the Pats, one thing you haven't considered, actually two things;

First, the Pats didn't do jack to us offensively last year. Our D essentially held them to less then 300 yards total O in game 2. They didn't do much other than off of 3 offensive TOs for 17 of their 27 points. I know everyone poo-poos that b/c 10 of those trace to Drew, but it's the reality of the situation.

Now, let me ask you, if I told you now, that the Pats on opening day, would:

amass only 275 total net yards
have only 92 rushing yards on a 3.5 YPC avg.
be 4 of 11 or 36% on 3rd down convs.
and have only 183 net yards passing,

...what would you say about that game in forethought?

I'd say, "HECK YEAH, we're in for a win!"

That's what we did last year. Antowain Smith wasn't great last year, as if he ever was, and he's gotten a year older too. They've found no replacement and have signed really no other decent WRs and the ones they have aren't gonna out leap any of our DBs if you know what I mean all coming in at 5'9".

So I guess my point is that yes, they haven't really lost anyone, but they weren't good offensively last year. They were only 9-7 thanks to us! If we had beaten them like we should have, twice, then they'd not even have been .500.

Their schedule this year is brutal over the first 9 games w/ potentially all playoff opponents and 5 of 9 road games. As well, most of those teams have excellent Os that will score some points.

My point, the Pats rely WAY too heavily on their D and STs. Both are good, although their rush D was not good. Bad in fact.

So I don't see where many are coming from especially since Miami likely won't be as banged up this season, we're better, and the Jets are about the same +/-. I just don't see the Pats having the same degree of success this season. Sure, if we giftwrap two games for them again, they'll be .500 or better. Otherwise, I just don't see it happening.

WG
08-12-2003, 03:53 PM
seau has hit the wall last year.. he is still trying to get up from that hit still.. :snicker:

YUP!

And we know it's not going to happen.